PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference btw. SRAM Red etap and etap AXS?

54ny77
05-23-2020, 08:19 AM
Subject says it all. Thanks!

Andy sti
05-23-2020, 08:34 AM
Biggest is 1 gear. AXS is 12 speed, requires XDR freehub/driver and the cassettes all start with a 10 cog. Chainrings are also smaller on AXS.

FlashUNC
05-23-2020, 10:10 AM
AXS is also fully compatible with their Eagle AXS bits for some mullet builds, and has an app to customize a number of shifting and interface items.

Mr B
05-23-2020, 10:31 AM
I heard AXS allows you to remotely shift your bike from anywhere on earth.
Useful technology if you happen to log into your Nest system whilst on vacation and spot a thief pedalling your bike right outta your garage

Latestart
05-23-2020, 11:08 AM
I have AXS and V1 etap. AXS shifts MUCH more quickly; can't comment on later versions/current version of eTap.

I suspect AXS is going to be a 'platform' and eTap will fade away over time, but that is speculation. There is no reason to have them both as they could easily make an AXS that has everything that eTap has.

RedRider
05-23-2020, 12:29 PM
I have AXS and V1 etap. AXS shifts MUCH more quickly; can't comment on later versions/current version of eTap.

I suspect AXS is going to be a 'platform' and eTap will fade away over time, but that is speculation. There is no reason to have them both as they could easily make an AXS that has everything that eTap has.

eTap support has already stopped. Parts are difficult to find other than on eBay. AXS is a much more advanced product but that was a fast, high priced model life.

thirdgenbird
05-23-2020, 12:41 PM
Remember when di2 first hit the market and people bragged about how electronic shifting was going to all but eliminate obsolescence because software updates would remove the need to buy new shifters/derailleurs? Hard to believe people really thought manufacturers would give up parts sales in exchange for software reflashes.

I’m not knocking electronic shifting. I get the advantages, obsolescence just isn’t one of them.

FlashUNC
05-23-2020, 01:18 PM
Useful technology if you happen to log into your Nest system whilst on vacation and spot a thief pedalling your bike right outta your garage

You heard wrong.

Mr B
05-23-2020, 01:56 PM
Online sarcasm fail

54ny77
05-23-2020, 02:02 PM
AXS is 12 spd and regular Red etap is 11 spd? Or more simply, what the heck is "AXS?"

I went to SRAM website to read specs for a side by side comparison of functionality or something useful....but, nada. Lots of catchy marketing stuff though.

If I just wanted an 11 speed wireless drivetrain, would I look for "regular" Red etap?

eddief
05-23-2020, 02:10 PM
Red Etap is for 11 speeds and available in either rim brake or hydro disc. disc is called Etap HRD. all AXS is 12 speed with "evolved?" gear ratios and XD-R free hub.

AXS is 12 spd and regular Red etap is 11 spd? Or more simply, what the heck is "AXS?"

I went to SRAM website to read specs for a side by side comparison of functionality or something useful....but, nada. Lots of catchy marketing stuff though.

If I just wanted an 11 speed wireless drivetrain, would I look for "regular" Red etap?

FlashUNC
05-23-2020, 02:14 PM

Yup, but then you're off to eBay. Pipeline of 11 speed bits is very much dry these days.

eddief
05-23-2020, 02:16 PM
https://glorycycles.com/search.php?search_query=red%20etap&section=product

Yup, but then you're off to eBay. Pipeline of 11 speed bits is very much dry these days.

zap
05-23-2020, 02:22 PM
eTap support has already stopped. Parts are difficult to find other than on eBay. AXS is a much more advanced product but that was a fast, high priced model life.

Already......if correct then Sram is certainly not following Campy in supporting older group bits.

lavi
05-23-2020, 02:54 PM
As long as they keep a rim brake option, I won't bitch.

I was/am a Campy fan. Aesthetically wonderful. Operationally great. I'm sure I'll try their (Magura) hydro at some point. I'm sure I'll be waiting a long time for the 1x13 as it'll be insanely priced.

That said, my 1st gen eTap is my FAV!!!!:banana:

4151zero
05-23-2020, 03:49 PM
Imma big fan of gen1 eTap, coming from da9000, and also a prior di2 9070 Canyon which really turned me off to di2.

I’m keeping my c64 in Campy 12s for now. Last of an era.

oldpotatoe
05-24-2020, 06:50 AM
:)

Much like first gen shimano DA 10s Di2...to the 'e-wire' stuff..

oldpotatoe
05-24-2020, 06:55 AM
Online sarcasm fail

No it wasn't...somebody just forgot the :) or :eek:
You heard wrong.

R3awak3n
05-24-2020, 07:54 AM
Online sarcasm fail

lol, I thought it was funny.

R3awak3n
05-24-2020, 07:58 AM
https://glorycycles.com/search.php?search_query=red%20etap&section=product

they do a good job of listing crap, but will they send you the stuff??? maybe. Stay away from glory cycles. They are the kind of shop that has a bunch of stuff but don't actually have the stuff... They will get it after you buy it and then not even tell you until you message them. They will also keep your money and not order the stuff and tell you the supplier is out of stock. They did this to me on an expensive frame. Told me they did not have the frame, then I contacted the company and they told me they had a ton of them and that GLORY had not ordered anything from them... this had not been the first time they had done this. Anyways... word of caution... I know this is super off topic but everytime I see someone post about those guys I have to say something.

eddief
05-24-2020, 08:43 AM
i only ordered from them one time and, in fact, it was Etap components. worked out fine for me.

they do a good job of listing crap, but will they send you the stuff??? maybe. Stay away from glory cycles. They are the kind of shop that has a bunch of stuff but don't actually have the stuff... They will get it after you buy it and then not even tell you until you message them. They will also keep your money and not order the stuff and tell you the supplier is out of stock. They did this to me on an expensive frame. Told me they did not have the frame, then I contacted the company and they told me they had a ton of them and that GLORY had not ordered anything from them... this had not been the first time they had done this. Anyways... word of caution... I know this is super off topic but everytime I see someone post about those guys I have to say something.

54ny77
05-31-2020, 01:23 PM
Good to know. Thanks for this.

Could you not just dispute the transaction with your credit card company, say you paid for but never received merchandise?

Dave
05-31-2020, 04:11 PM

I had the same experience. Never again.

4151zero
05-31-2020, 05:12 PM
I had the same experience. Never again.

Good to know!

nmrt
05-31-2020, 06:11 PM
i have ordered twice from glory cycles. they did not have the item in stock. they told me this when i ordered. but told me that i would get in within a week. i did. both times. they even are willing to deal. offered me a pretty decent discount on SRAM Red AXS gruppo.

as people as said, ymmv.

Good to know!

akelman
05-31-2020, 06:15 PM
i have ordered twice from glory cycles. they did not have the item in stock. they told me this when i ordered. but told me that i would get in within a week. i did. both times. they even are willing to deal. offered me a pretty decent discount on SRAM Red AXS gruppo.

as people as said, ymmv.

What kind of a deal did you get?

andybones78
10-24-2020, 12:21 AM
Interested to know what deals people are currently getting on IN STOCK and available RED AXS, and generally all higher end SRAM parts at the moment. Listed prices on various websites seem to be consistent but most things seem to be out of stock or very low numbers.

Dave
10-24-2020, 07:52 AM
The only deals I've seen are on rim brake 4 piece force groups as low $990, or individual force derailleurs. The shifters alone are priced exceptionally high. I decided to give force a try, despite the price being much higher than chorus 12. I would never opt for a sram crank with only a 13T difference between the rings. They add range with 12 sprockets and then reduce range at the crank. Makes no sense.

Those willing to pay big bucks to save a little weight probably don't care what red costs.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/sram-force-etap-axs-2x-d1-electronic-hrd-groupset

SoCalSteve
10-24-2020, 09:39 AM
Back on topic...

A huge difference is that AXS has many components that are proprietary and eTap does not. I use many Shimano components with my ETap groups. This is not possible with AXS.

Also, the gearing of AXS is not that traditional 50/34 or 53/39 or 12-28 ( or whatever is close to that ) every cassette starts with a 10t and the cranks.

I‘m too old to get used to new gearing, that’s why I’m hoarding 2 hydro etap groups, not planning on switching for a very long time...:)

saab2000
10-24-2020, 10:03 AM
As long as they keep a rim brake option, I won't bitch.

I was/am a Campy fan. Aesthetically wonderful. Operationally great. I'm sure I'll try their (Magura) hydro at some point. I'm sure I'll be waiting a long time for the 1x13 as it'll be insanely priced.

That said, my 1st gen eTap is my FAV!!!!:banana:

I don’t think the 1x13 is insanely priced unless dealers are marking it way up.

Anyway, it’s not an apples to apples comparison as Campagnolo’s 1x13 is mechanical and intended for the gravel market and AXS is electrical and and positioned for a wider audience. It’s far more expensive as well from what I can tell, at least in Red trim.