PDA

View Full Version : Bike Box Mini Rant

sokyroadie
05-23-2020, 07:28 AM
Sold a frame

Need a box

Called non LBS #1 - 40 miles away - nope no box. I have bought a fair amount from them over the years and in the past they have even pulled a bike out of the box and given it to me.

Stopped by non LBS #2 same town as above needed some chain lube, asked about a box - yea we have them $15.00, but it includes all the packing material :confused: I have bought from them over the years also.

Bought the box and the lube - still hurt :butt:.

Shipped frame with new packing material.

Rant over.

tuscanyswe
05-23-2020, 07:30 AM
Yeah thats bit annoying especially if its the same over there as here that bike shops pay to get rid of bike boxes.. Why would they then not give it to you unless they have a que of ppl wanting bike boxes ?

That said packing material is expensive to buy.

Ive never done myself but have heard large tv boxes can be good for packing a frame.

fmradio516
05-23-2020, 07:44 AM
Was it a bike box manufactured to sell as a bike box, or was it just a box they built a new bike out of?

Thats crazy if its the latter. :mad:

oldpotatoe
05-23-2020, 08:00 AM
Yeah thats bit annoying especially if its the same over there as here that bike shops pay to get rid of bike boxes.. Why would they then not give it to you unless they have a que of ppl wanting bike boxes ?

That said packing material is expensive to buy.

Ive never done myself but have heard large tv boxes can be good for packing a frame.

They are PERFECT and in addition, TV boxes can be smashed and tossed around less by the 'box smashers'..if they think there's TV in there.

unterhausen
05-23-2020, 08:00 AM
with the LBS I go to, the choice is either to go to the dumpster and try to fish one out or they have to take a bike out of its box. Under non-pandemic conditions, they might have one sitting there collecting trash and recycling that someone could have, but you gotta get rid of the recycling for them. They have always been willing to take a new bike out of the box for me, not sure if they would for anybody they didn't know as well. Definite maybe.

I have heard of shops charging for boxes. If they have to take a bike out of it, it seems fair.

gbcoupe
05-23-2020, 08:02 AM
Just buy a new bike or frame and use that box. Works for me. I don't think I've ever had to go pick one up. ;)

sokyroadie
05-23-2020, 08:07 AM
Was it a bike box manufactured to sell as a bike box, or was it just a box they built a new bike out of?

Thats crazy if its the latter. :mad:

A Cannondale Mtn. bike box complete with a few holes.

tbike4
05-23-2020, 08:23 AM
I hoard as many boxes as I can fit in the garage and never paid for one. When Performance was still around it was just drive up to their dumpster and load up. I guess it depends on how much/type of packing material was in there. But paying $15 for it would incite a rant.

Mr B
05-23-2020, 08:37 AM
Sounds like it's a shop you're unfamiliar with, that's unfamiliar with you.
Try to see it from their perspective - for all you know, they might be regularly hassled for boxes left and right by eBay/CL bike flippers.
Even if that's not happening to them at this very moment, a situation in the past might have triggered a 'We charge for bike boxes' policy.

sokyroadie
05-23-2020, 09:26 AM
Sounds like it's a shop you're unfamiliar with, that's unfamiliar with you.
Try to see it from their perspective - for all you know, they might be regularly hassled for boxes left and right by eBay/CL bike flippers.
Even if that's not happening to them at this very moment, a situation in the past might have triggered a 'We charge for bike boxes' policy.

First time ever being charged at this shop and I always buy something if I get a box. I guess what really irks me is another employee comes up as I am paying and says " your charging him $15.00 - we usually get a lot more":no:

I will not set foot in their store again.

It is a relatively small town 63,000 and based on local CL their are no or very few bike flippers.

charliedid
05-23-2020, 09:29 AM
Boo hoo.

Why do some people think bike shops owe them something for nothing.

In what other industry does this happen? Walk into your local dry cleaner and just ask for some free hangers and plastic covers for your suit. Same goes for borrowing tools or you know....could you just real quick raise my seat like 2 inches? Even ask the cleaners to iron one cuff or your collar for free? Yeah right....I thought not.

Ever work in a shop?

It's Saturday in June and the phone rings three times while you are simultaneously fixing a flat and talking to a customer about a new helmet and her daughter about a bell that she won't stop ringing. Now you need to go downstairs and assess what boxes you might have and try to remember if anything is in the queue that week that requires boxing a bike for a customer. You then need to figure out when the next shipment of bikes might come in to replenish the remaining two boxes you have and do you give the "customer" the better box or do you keep it?

Buy a box from BikeFlights if none of your non local bike shops that you bought lube in once so you could ask for something for nothing don't have one.

Give Me A Break.

Matthew
05-23-2020, 09:45 AM
I'm selling a frame right now. Both local shops had boxes available. One even gave me all the packing material and dropout braces. I had to cut the box down a bit but it worked perfectly. They were happy to give it to me and of course it was free. They're just going in the dumpster so why charge for it?

Monsieur Toast
05-23-2020, 09:58 AM
Weird experience, weird times.

That said I've always tipped $10 or $20 when given a free used bike box by LBS. Seems proper.

pdmtong
05-23-2020, 10:39 AM
Grumbling over $15?
Please ...

Yea I get boxes are usually free. But if the shop wants $15 now either pay it and move on or find an alternative

biker72
05-23-2020, 10:45 AM
This is outrageous. We throw away boxes and packing material. A recycler will take some of it but individuals will take the boxes that are stacked outside.

We don't charge anything for boxes.

jtbadge
05-23-2020, 10:47 AM
There's a shortage of new bikes out there right now, there probably aren't that many boxes to be had unless they just got in a shipment.

That said, my LBS had a stack of bike boxes outside the front door yesterday. I would be shocked if they lasted until close.

pdmtong
05-23-2020, 11:18 AM
FWIW a really great box to get or make is a Moots box since the inserts allow the bagged but not padded frame to float inside the box and the fork sits vertically on one end.

Mark McM
05-23-2020, 11:44 AM
Sold a frame

Need a box

Called non LBS #1 - 40 miles away - nope no box. I have bought a fair amount from them over the years and in the past they have even pulled a bike out of the box and given it to me.

Stopped by non LBS #2 same town as above needed some chain lube, asked about a box - yea we have them $15.00, but it includes all the packing material :confused: I have bought from them over the years also.

Bought the box and the lube - still hurt :butt:.

Shipped frame with new packing material.

Rant over.

Let's see how the math works out: If LBS #1 had a box (for free), you would have had to drive 80 miles round trip, and used 2 hours of your time and $10 in gas, in order to save $15 for a box. The other option was to pay $15 for a box, at LBS #2, when you were already there (you didn't have to expend extra time and gas). Option #2 is a bargain, compared the time, energy and resources you'd have to expend for option #1. Sometimes "free" isn't free.

Pegoready
05-23-2020, 12:05 PM
Yeah, I've experienced this from both sides and it's frustrating.

Imagine you work in a bike shop and some bluebird asks for a box on a busy day, especially during these times when every shop is up to their eyeballs in work or just struggling to figure out how to function. If you take that phone call you might say no dice.

Imagine you work in a bike shop and actually save the nice boxes, devote a little time and resources to storing them, and actually keep a bit of packing materials on hand for those who are totally without. You might even give a few tips on how to pack a bike. You'd want $15 for that.

If I need a box my move is to ask in the most apologetic way possible, "Hey, sorry to be that guy, but mind if I grab a box from your dumpster?" That usually brings out some kindness. The last shop that gave me 4 or 5 primo Santa Cruz boxes got a couple of 6 packs and my undying loyalty.

RoosterCogset
05-23-2020, 12:29 PM
Just buy a new bike or frame and use that box. Works for me. I don't think I've ever had to go pick one up. ;)

Bikesdirect gives you a free bike with every box purchase, or so I've heard. ;)

Velocipede
05-23-2020, 12:58 PM
I do find it funny how shops charge for bike boxes nowadays. It actually saves the shop money cause they don't have to pay for the guy to come pick up THAT box for recycling or trash. It's a bit of a dick move to charge. IMO of course.

duff_duffy
05-23-2020, 01:57 PM
I’m so easily influenced sometimes...changed my attitude 3x reading through the comments. Finally settled on its shops property they can charge whatever they want, just gotta deal with it.

djdj
05-23-2020, 07:50 PM
I never understood the "I will give you beer instead of a cash payment" practice. If I ran a brewery, then maybe yeah, it's part of a barter economy. Otherwise, I imagine the shop and workers would rather have cash to meet their needs.

IMO if the shop can find ways to make money, including selling things they might otherwise throw away, it is "business," not a dick move. They are are in business to make money and, from what I can tell, that's not such an easy thing to do these days, temporary pandemic demand notwithstanding. Other people are making money selling bike boxes. A quick search shows "ULine" selling bike boxes for $13/box, if you buy five at a time.

unterhausen
05-23-2020, 08:02 PM
Last time I bought beer for the bike shop, I just handed one of the workers a 20. They probably would have appreciated it if I went across the street for the beer, but I needed to be somewhere.

gbcoupe
05-23-2020, 08:10 PM
In the mid 80's, when I worked at a shop for a couple years. It was part of my job to head to the recycle center when we had enough cardboard to fill a shot bus sized van. I don't remember how much the load was worth, but a receipt was required and every penny was counted.

I don't recall every being asked by customers for boxes. I'm sure if they did, there would be a charge if the shop could make money from it.

The owner was a scrooge. I was just a kid. Didn't realize the tight profit margins till years after I'd left.

Clean39T
05-23-2020, 08:57 PM
Yeah, I've experienced this from both sides and it's frustrating.

Imagine you work in a bike shop and some bluebird asks for a box on a busy day, especially during these times when every shop is up to their eyeballs in work or just struggling to figure out how to function. If you take that phone call you might say no dice.

Imagine you work in a bike shop and actually save the nice boxes, devote a little time and resources to storing them, and actually keep a bit of packing materials on hand for those who are totally without. You might even give a few tips on how to pack a bike. You'd want $15 for that.

If I need a box my move is to ask in the most apologetic way possible, "Hey, sorry to be that guy, but mind if I grab a box from your dumpster?" That usually brings out some kindness. The last shop that gave me 4 or 5 primo Santa Cruz boxes got a couple of 6 packs and my undying loyalty.All of this. But a $20 instead of the beer. Atmo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

kppolich
05-23-2020, 10:21 PM
Called my local shop, they were busy, said hey if you are putting together any new bikes please keep a box in tact for me and write my name on the box and i'll be over at close. They did, I picked it up. Pretty simple here in the Midwest.

pasadena
05-23-2020, 10:48 PM
buying a bike box is like paying for ketchup packets at McDonalds.

they could charge you for something they didn't even pay for, and be in the right.
But you know, at some point, being that big a d*ck to a customer to get $10 is b.s.

Every bike shop I've ever asked either didn't have any at the moment, or gave me one of a half dozen they have to break down for the trash. No one ever tried to charge me for it.

CDM
05-24-2020, 04:34 AM
buying a bike box is like paying for ketchup packets at McDonalds.

they could charge you for something they didn't even pay for, and be in the right.
But you know, at some point, being that big a d*ck to a customer to get $10 is b.s.

Every bike shop I've ever asked either didn't have any at the moment, or gave me one of a half dozen they have to break down for the trash. No one ever tried to charge me for it.

Analogy is a bit off. You are not entitled to the ketchup if you didnt buy the burger or fries.

RedRider
05-24-2020, 08:16 AM
From our shop's viewpoint...
Retail space is always limited, even in our back room, so we break down boxes asap. Most of our cardboard is cut up and packaged for recycling on the same day it is unpacked.
People call for boxes all the time and if we have them or expect some to arrive we can take a name and get back to them or ask them to call when it's expected.
The majority actually offer to pay for them! If we have them we don't charge and the customer is happy. Often we can pack the bike in the box for our standard fee.
In most cases, bike shops have to go out of their way to save a box for you rather than you doing them a favor by taking it.

csm
05-24-2020, 08:19 AM
Analogy is a bit off. You are not entitled to the ketchup if you didnt buy the burger or fries.

And McDonalds is paying for the ketchup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

charliedid
05-24-2020, 08:21 AM
From our shop's viewpoint...
Retail space is always limited, even in our back room, so we break down boxes asap. Most of our cardboard is cut up and packaged for recycling on the same day it is unpacked.
People call for boxes all the time and if we have them or expect some to arrive we can take a name and get back to them or ask them to call when it's expected.
The majority actually offer to pay for them! If we have them we don't charge and the customer is happy. Often we can pack the bike in the box for our standard fee.
In most cases, bike shops have to go out of their way to save a box for you rather than you doing them a favor by taking it.

^ This

Thank You

Vonruden
05-24-2020, 08:27 AM
Boo hoo.

In what other industry does this happen? Walk into your local dry cleaner and just ask for some free hangers and plastic covers for your suit. Same goes for borrowing tools or you know....could you just real quick raise my seat like 2 inches? Even ask the cleaners to iron one cuff or your collar for free? Yeah right....I thought not.

Ever work in a shop?

It's Saturday in June and the phone rings three times while you are simultaneously fixing a flat and talking to a customer about a new helmet and her daughter about a bell that she won't stop ringing. Now you need to go downstairs and assess what boxes you might have and try to remember if anything is in the queue that week that requires boxing a bike for a customer. You then need to figure out when the next shipment of bikes might come in to replenish the remaining two boxes you have and do you give the "customer" the better box or do you keep it?

Buy a box from BikeFlights if none of your non local bike shops that you bought lube in once so you could ask for something for nothing don't have one.

Give Me A Break.

Disagree, I frequent 3 local shops, purchase from all of them. They are all more then happy to give them away versus sending to the landfill / recycler. Typically no skin off their arse as they say, go take your pick out back.

charliedid
05-24-2020, 08:39 AM
Disagree, I frequent 3 local shops, purchase from all of them. They are all more then happy to give them away versus sending to the landfill / recycler. Typically no skin off their arse as they say, go take your pick out back.

Well both of us can't be right.

godfrey1112000
05-24-2020, 08:48 AM
Shipped a complete bike to NY/via bike flights

32 year customer many generations of staffers

But always a polite customer

Tips/holiday envelopes

Always at the front of the line. I digress

The packing and boxing no charge the even updates on the di2 software

Good guys

Boo hoo.

Ever work in a shop?

Give Me A Break.

C40_guy
05-24-2020, 08:48 AM

I've never had a problem getting a box from my LBS, but then again, I would drop by periodically to have them do a non-standard mechanical for me (ie, removing a Shimano BB from a frame, and my home shop is all Campy)

That having been said, I sold a bike that I kept at my inlaws in Florida. Picked up a box at a local shop there, then bought packing material at HD, since I had no supplies on hand there.

In retrospect, I should have paid the shop to do the packing...their charge wasn't significantly higher than the cost of all the tape, bubble wrap, etc., that I bought at HD. Not to mention the time involved. And HD in Florida doesn't carry pipe insulation, evidently, so I had to double down on the bubble wrap...

Gummee
05-24-2020, 09:17 AM
Last time I bought beer for the bike shop, I just handed one of the workers a 20. They probably would have appreciated it if I went across the street for the beer, but I needed to be somewhere.

As busy as we can get in the shop, we might not have time to actually go get beer to enjoy after work.

...and that brings up timing: if a shop's as busy as we all seem to be, don't expect something for nothing. ANY something. Anything that takes time away from getting the queue of paying repairs down is going to be monetized.

Now, if it were fall/winter and people were putting their bikes away for the winter, THEN maybe a freebie would be tossed your way.

M

pbarry
05-24-2020, 10:01 AM
Was my go to for boxes when the LBS’s didn’t have any. New frame boxes were $5, very fair. Last time I needed one, I called ahead and was told they no longer offered them for sale. I get it, as they ship hundreds of bikes a month if not more. It was a nice service for the community and engendered good will towards a big outfit that regularly swoops on our local CL sites.

blakcloud
05-24-2020, 10:26 AM
Boo hoo.

Ever work in a shop? blah blah blah

Give Me A Break. Not the same as a hangers or plastic bags as they aren't throwing those away like the bike box. The box is going in the garbage or to the recyclers.

And I am glad you asked, yes I worked at a shop. We gave those boxes to anybody that would ask. Pull bike out if we had to because we knew we had to deal with that box at some point.

We also believed in good will and helping people out while still making money.

To use your line "give me a break"

jemoryl
05-24-2020, 11:25 AM
Not the same as a hangers or plastic bags as they aren't throwing those away like the bike box. The box is going in the garbage or to the recyclers.

And I am glad you asked, yes I worked at a shop. We gave those boxes to anybody that would ask. Pull bike out if we had to because we knew we had to deal with that box at some point.

We also believed in good will and helping people out while still making money.

To use your line "give me a break"

+1

Yes, why not create good will by giving away something that is usually a nuisance to get rid of (providing the shop isn't so busy that this is a problem)? So the person looking for a box may not be a regular customer, but you won't be making one by leaving a bad taste in their mouth. The attitude expressed by many ITB types in this thread is why I haven't been in a shop in quite some time (aside from the boring omnipresence of Bontrager and Specialized).

Hawker
05-24-2020, 11:33 AM
I think if there are bike boxes already in the dumpster there should be no charge for those...."take what you want out of the garbage".

However, I wouldn't have an issue being charged for a box that is still in the shop and available. After all it is still store property, you need it and they have it. And if they gave me a nice one from the back of the shop, I'd probably tip them something. Or least bring them back a box of donuts or bagels. :)

Mr B
05-24-2020, 11:40 AM
Well both of us can't be right.

Actually you can, because life isn't the same everywhere.
This thread reminds me that I need to go ride my bike.

charliedid
05-24-2020, 11:47 AM
Actually you can, because life isn't the same everywhere.
This thread reminds me that I need to go ride my bike.

Sorry I should have added the :):):)

Crack of noon time for a 4 hour ride. 75 sunny no wind and 5000 of my closest cycling friends

:banana:

pcb
05-24-2020, 11:56 AM
My go-to LBS piles empty boxes out back, in the open. They go out to the curb on Wed nite for recycling. If I need something quick before Wed, I can go out back and grab what I need. If it's rained, I'm sol. I have to dig out the trash, including sometimes lunchtime remains. I do not bother them in any way, and I don't leave a mess.

I can grab anything I want from the curb Wed nite, but by that time every box is crammed full o' crap.

I always bring beer. They know I do most of my own work, I primarily bring them major wheel work, and headaches.

But if they told me they needed/wanted to start charging me for boxes, I wouldn't hold it against them. They're doing me a favor letting me grab boxes for free. Yeah, to a certain degree it's saving them a little bit of labor, but I'm saving much more $$$ with free boxes than they're saving on labor costs putting x<5 boxes out at the curb.

If they did want to charge me $15/box, I would look at alternatives in buying new boxes.

And in the midst of the pandemic, them not able to let in more than 1 customer at a time, slammed for weeks/months on repairs, likely unable to keep up with demand for new bikes, I wouldn't even think of poking around out back for boxes. They don't need any unnecessary humans lurking around. It's either see if there's any harvest Wed nite, or buy new.