PDA

View Full Version : 10 speed Camapgnolo, left ergolever skipping first click

Stainomo
05-23-2020, 05:18 AM
Some time ago I broke the shift blade of my left ergolever, 10 speed 2006 Chorus, managed to get a new part, EC-CH429, disassembled the lever, swapped the part and reassembled it.

It functions fine except for the first click of the lever, if I put any real tension on the cable it skips, there is nearly no resistance at all, it's really smooth. Once i release a bit of tension it works fine.

The result is the front derailleur cable is pretty slack, the first click barely moves the derailleur cage.

I have disassembled and reassembled the shifter 2x now, all seems fine but it still does this. 2 years ago, maybe 7k km, I swapped carriers and springs in both levers so I doubt these are the issue.

Is this normal? I can't remember having this behaviour with my previous setup (different bike, different front derailleur) or any suggestions on what i might have done assembling the lever or any parts i might have to replace?

oldpotatoe
05-23-2020, 06:16 AM
Some time ago I broke the shift blade of my left ergolever, 10 speed 2006 Chorus, managed to get a new part, EC-CH429, disassembled the lever, swapped the part and reassembled it.

It functions fine except for the first click of the lever, if I put any real tension on the cable it skips, there is nearly no resistance at all, it's really smooth. Once i release a bit of tension it works fine.

The result is the front derailleur cable is pretty slack, the first click barely moves the derailleur cage.

I have disassembled and reassembled the shifter 2x now, all seems fine but it still does this. 2 years ago, maybe 7k km, I swapped carriers and springs in both levers so I doubt these are the issue.

Is this normal? I can't remember having this behaviour with my previous setup (different bike, different front derailleur) or any suggestions on what i might have done assembling the lever or any parts i might have to replace?

Not normal and w/o seeing it, not sure what's wrong. I suspect something is not assembled correctly or something 'may' be broken. You could take some pix of the back of it..or perhaps the front toothed cog may be assembled backwards..All I know is it should click from the first click.
If you'd like, I can take a look, dis assemble, look for anything busted and reassemble..I have overhauled and/or fixed these since 1992. I have all the innards, small parts.

Stainomo
05-23-2020, 06:25 AM
That's the only thing I am uncertain about, that front cog has an L stamped on it, do I face it towards the front of my bike or towards the rear?

I have seen your advice and comments about your work, I'd be happy to send it in for service but since I'm based in EU (Belgium) shipping + Service would code me the same as an entire left assembly.

oldpotatoe
05-23-2020, 06:30 AM
That's the only thing I am uncertain about, that front cog has an L stamped on it, do I face it towards the front of my bike or towards the rear?

I have seen your advice and comments about your work, I'd be happy to send it in for service but since I'm based in EU (Belgium) shipping + Service would code me the same as an entire left assembly.

Toward the front...Belgium, I can do that but it isn't quick, either direction.

Wonder if the big spring in the back is backwards altho I can't imagine how that could be. Spring carrier not split? Springs look like a little '6' when they are sitting on a table..as in, not RH springs installed?

Stainomo
05-23-2020, 08:41 AM
I took it apart once again to snap some pictures and - with a fresh view - try and see what whats going on.

Eventually, I did!

The new shift lever (EC-CH429) was skipping over the first tooth of the front toothed cog (EC-RE134), seems it got worn a little bit which caused the skipping of the first click.

I did not have a spare but I did have a very similar cog with the same function from a xenon 10 powershift lever, exact part number unknown (I harvested a cable set, hoods and the shift lever from a set of these).

It swapped in , full functionality!

Thank you for the advice oldpotatoe! I managed to get them working again myself. I hope someone with a similar problem finds this topic and any useful advice it might contain!

Edit: Did some searching, the part i swapped in was EC-RE234 which is the QS version.

oldpotatoe
05-24-2020, 07:14 AM
I took it apart once again to snap some pictures and - with a fresh view - try and see what whats going on.

Eventually, I did!

The new shift lever (EC-CH429) was skipping over the first tooth of the front toothed cog (EC-RE134), seems it got worn a little bit which caused the skipping of the first click.

I did not have a spare but I did have a very similar cog with the same function from a xenon 10 powershift lever, exact part number unknown (I harvested a cable set, hoods and the shift lever from a set of these).

It swapped in , full functionality!

Thank you for the advice oldpotatoe! I managed to get them working again myself. I hope someone with a similar problem finds this topic and any useful advice it might contain!

Edit: Did some searching, the part i swapped in was EC-RE234 which is the QS version.

Same part in Xenon, as well as all levers above that, including all PowerShift types...glad you found the issue. For info, the front section of all shifters has pretty much always been the same and is intercompatible with other levers. Including 2010+ Powershift levers..same front shift lever blade/guts, etc as UltraShift.