PDA

View Full Version : Do we really need disk brakes on road bikes?

elcolombiano
05-23-2020, 12:59 AM
I see so many road cyclists out with disk brakes. Even inexpensive bikes now have them. I am not interested in these. If you are descending a 2000 meter mountain in the rain I can understand this but most of us are not doing that. Am I missing something. Rim calipers work great for me. I can lock front or rear wheels if I want (obviously I don't do this) and they offer excellent modulation. Is this just something else to sell Americans because it is more expensive?

Disadvantages of Disk Brakes:

1. More expensive
2. Heavier
3. More maintenance
4. More stress on the bike frame and fork
5. Requires special frame
6. Requires special wheels
7. Do I want to mess with hydraulics, master cylinders, brake fluid, brake lines etc.?
8. Dangerous in an accident with other riders.
9. More difficult to determine if they are working properly and safe.

Advantages of Disk Brakes:

1. Don't have to worry about overheating carbon rims.
2. Don't have to worry about brake fade if using brakes to much
3. Easier to design a frame to accommodate wider tires.
4. Work better in the rain.

barnabyjones
05-23-2020, 01:01 AM
The Pandemic is a conspiracy to force me to buy a bike with disc brakes.

Latestart
05-23-2020, 01:09 AM
Positives;
- for newbies, less twitchy to use, more confidence-inspiring
- never wear out an expensive wheel due to brake track use
- bike shops make more money doing service; stay in business for rest of us
- likely better on heavy bikes, especially cargo bikes, e-bike and tandems
- safer with out-of-true wheels

bthomas515
05-23-2020, 01:19 AM
Aluminum brake tracks and discs aren’t that different in my opinion. Carbon rims are a totally different story. Have found off road stuff makes much more sense with discs as well given more tire clearance.

Latestart
05-23-2020, 01:51 AM
Agree that mileage to worn out is similar, but cost of a rotor set is low compared to new wheel sets.

choke
05-23-2020, 02:01 AM
Do we really need disk brakes on road bikes?No.

Cy Trivialities
05-23-2020, 02:51 AM
and once they start squealing :mad:

tuscanyswe
05-23-2020, 03:07 AM
Positives;
- for newbies, less twitchy to use, more confidence-inspiring
- never wear out an expensive wheel due to brake track use
- bike shops make more money doing service; stay in business for rest of us
- likely better on heavy bikes, especially cargo bikes, e-bike and tandems
- safer with out-of-true wheels

That one if funny considering it normally would be listed as a negative under "more difficult to service" or "more exensive to purchase and or upkeep"

But i like it, gotta keep possitive these days .)

KonaSS
05-23-2020, 05:04 AM
2017 called, they want their internet disc brake argument back.

Please, let's just shut this down. Search the history and go nuts if you want, but there is no reason to have ANOTHER disc brake thread.

Ride what you like. :banana:

oldpotatoe
05-23-2020, 06:24 AM
Do we really need disk brakes on road bikes?
No.

Yikes, for a minute I thought I woke up and it was December already, a cold, snowy day and the only thing 'bike' to do today was this forum...:eek:

I wade into these often..and I agree. For the 'enthusiast', they are not needed, are more expensive, complicated..BUT, gadzooks, they are here, for better or worse. Wander into LBS or even on the interweb and look for a $1500 or so new bike..

On the below page, 45 bikes, 2 rim brakes(and $1099)....so it goes.
I'm just glad, after leaving the trenches, I don't have to
-work on 'em
-use them
-sell them...:)

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/c/B200/
Please, let's just shut this down. Search the history and go nuts if you want, but there is no reason to have ANOTHER disc brake thread.

Why shut it down..discussion group, discuss or don't. It's not like the title was sneaky and tricked you in opening it.
Do we really need disk brakes on road bikes?

Yo....

mcteague
05-23-2020, 06:35 AM
Guess this topic never goes away. I see the advantages to disk brakes, and the disadvantages. I also see that they are here and will be the standard going forward. That said, I have just two bikes and the newest is 7 years old. So, both rim brakes. Maybe it is just that I started cycling back in the early 70s that I just cannot get used to how disk brakes look on a bike. With fat carbon tubes and hidden cables, not so bad. On Ti or steel they just look ugly IMO.

So, unless you want a custom bike pretty much any new one will have disks.

Tim

dbnm
05-23-2020, 06:45 AM
Film vs. digital.

laupsi
05-23-2020, 06:45 AM
My next “dream” bike will be Ti, it will be thru axel and gasp, it will stop on rim brakes. Easier to maintain and I’ve never once had an issue w/any rim braked bike not stopping correctly.

peanutgallery
05-23-2020, 06:57 AM
I've gotten so rich off of serving disc brakes that I'm busy buying a Lambo for all the staff today. I would like to that Specialized and Trek for making all this possible

coachboyd
05-23-2020, 06:58 AM
I had to check the date on the first post to see if this were and older thread being bumped.

That being said, obviously disc has its advantages and no. . .it's not just the industry needing a new spec to drum up more sales (we have e-gravel bike unicycle fixed gear that's about to be the next big thing!).

I like to look at trends and predict where things will be in a few years. It's helped us as a company come out with new products before the bigger players as we can adapt much quicker (I remember just how hard it was to convince the factory I was being serious about a gravel specific 650b carbon rim in 2014).

I do think disc will be on pretty much all bikes over the next couple years, but then I do see a resurgence of rim brake bikes happening in about 2024. I think it'll come down to people being nostalgic about how simple it was to just put a wheel in and go.
Right now, almost nobody I know can bleed a hydraulic line. And if your rotor is off by just a few tenths of a mm you'll get brake rub. I do see where people will just want a simpler solution and want to get back to a system that worked well for quite a while.

My prediction. In half. A decade there'll be a new crop of improved rim brake systems. They'll have thru axle because that is one of the main advantages of disc brake and having a stiffer front end where the wheel can't accidentally be put in crooked (side note, our rim brake hubs are already future proofed for thru axle). I think brake calipers will be designed for 32mm for road use.

For gravel, cx, and MTB there's never any going back to come brake. For that it makes 100% sense to be on disc.

madsciencenow
05-23-2020, 07:00 AM
I don’t personally care what anyone else rides. My frustration with disc road bikes is that the industry big-box brands seem intent on elimination of my preferred road option, which is rim brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elefantino
05-23-2020, 07:03 AM
Customer: Do you really need disk brakes on road bikes?

Me: All my bikes have rim brakes. I'm still here.

oldpotatoe
05-23-2020, 07:04 AM
I don’t personally care what anyone else rides. My frustration with disc road bikes is that the industry big-box brands seem intent on elimination of my preferred road option, which is rim brakes.

Marketing and bean counters..again, making up your mind for you. Kinda like manual transmissions in cars or analog, mechanical watches...

vincenz
05-23-2020, 07:10 AM
Film vs. digital.

I think the better analogy would be for groupsets then, not brakes.

grateful
05-23-2020, 07:14 AM
If we decide not to rehash topics over and over what would we argue about.

For the record, Campy is superior to Shimano. I have also heard of some outfit called SRAM, Campy is better than SRAM as well.

Please discuss.

johnniecakes
05-23-2020, 07:14 AM
Not for me.
On typical 3 hour ride I may spend 5-10 minutes using the brakes. Sometimes I can ride 30 minutes without braking. On Thursday I counted 7 vehicle encounters in the first hour, 4 cars, 1 pickup and 2 tractors. Braking is a small part oy my riding experience and rim bakes are fine for me.

fa63
05-23-2020, 07:15 AM
The best selling bike at the shop is the $619 Jamis DXT A2. It is a not a road bike, but the hydraulic disc brakes are one the best selling features of the bike. Not because we tell the customer; they almost always reach that conclusion on their own. Pretty much every time we send them out on back-to-back test rides with linear pull and hydraulic disc brakes, the customer realizes immediately the convenience of one-finger braking with the hydro discs.

Road discs are not there yet, but I am looking forward to the day when sub $1000 road bikes come with proper hydro discs.

grateful
05-23-2020, 07:17 AM
I will not by a car (for myself, wife is a different story but she can also row her own) without a third pedal. Without it something is missing from the experience. Maybe I should go back to downtube shifters as well.

The next BIG thing in cycling is the slush box.

Marketing and bean counters..again, making up your mind for you. Kinda like manual transmissions in cars or analog, mechanical watches...

NHAero
05-23-2020, 07:27 AM
Have both. Like the hydro discs on the all road bike, for rides like D2R2, and for touring where it can be rainy. I have Dura Ace 9000 calipers on my Firefly, and they've redefined how good a rim brake can be. So on a dry day, on pavement, I don't need disc brakes. When I'm out for several hours doing a long ride with mixed surfaces and some long steep descents, I really like the discs.

Is that so hard, really?

merlinmurph
05-23-2020, 07:46 AM
As usual, it depends.

Can we dispel the fallacy that disc brakes are these highly complex mechanisms that can only be serviced by people with the training equivalent to brain surgeons? Thank you.

In the interest of full disclosure, yes, the groad bike I bought in '16 has discs.

Again, like every other component on your bike, it depends. Some people scoff at the idea of having 1:1 gearing, but gearing is highly personal and totally dependent on the rider and where/what they ride. Same with discs. Personally, for the road riding I do, I do not "need" discs. When I look at it, about the only time my brakes are used is when stopping, rarely when just riding. Even when I ride in the mountains of VT and NH, the brakes are not overused. Sure, there's exceptions like Hurricane Mt Rd in N Conway and others, but generally, the grades aren't so bad that the brakes are on a lot. On my old Merlin with Campy Chorus rim brakes, my pads lasted at least two years, possibly three at 4000 miles/year, which shows how much brake use it gets.

However, I can see where road discs would be a nice-to-have for those in more mountainous areas. I did a couple of downhills in the Napa valley area where I was on the brakes a lot. I'm not a ballsy descender.

Getting back to the service issue, discs really are not that bad. Yes, it's something new to learn. Look at it as a fun, geeky thing. And disc pads are much easier to replace than caliper pads. Saying that, aside from replacing pads, do you ever have to do any work on your caliper brakes? Ever? I'm pretty sure my Merlin has it's original brake cables from '97 after well over 60k miles. That's about as maintenance-free as one can get. Simple is good.

So, why did I get a bike with discs? Well, like I said, it's a groad bike with two sets of wheels, and discs are a great solution to accomodating 40mm tires. Also, being a gravel bike, I'm on my brakes a lot more - a LOT more. On 15-20+% grades.

I have a good friend in his 70s in FL that just got a new bike with discs. He can do a 30-40 mile ride and have maybe 200 ft. vertical. Does he need discs? Of couse not, but he's an uber geek who loves mechanics. He recently sold a Swan 44 sloop that I swear he could take apart and put back together himself, piece by piece, and loved the idea of disc brakes on a bike purely for the geek factor. I laugh at the thought that me may never replace the pads on his brakes.

Yes, the OP's question was about road bikes. My point was to show that the determining factor is how one intends to use the bike and that some riders may have the terrain where discs are a good idea.

Anyways, enjoy your ride.

Dave Ferris
05-23-2020, 07:49 AM

oldpotatoe
05-23-2020, 07:57 AM
Not for me.
On typical 3 hour ride I may spend 5-10 minutes using the brakes. Sometimes I can ride 30 minutes without braking. On Thursday I counted 7 vehicle encounters in the first hour, 4 cars, 1 pickup and 2 tractors. Braking is a small part oy my riding experience and rim bakes are fine for me.
:banana:

But, But, But, think of all the 'coffee shop" points you are losing when you are yaking with yer buds before that once a week, 25 mile, flat, dry day ride??

:)

unterhausen
05-23-2020, 08:04 AM
I guess the question is, does the bike you want come with rim brakes and if not, how are you going to stop when you take the discs off? Are you willing to go custom to get rim brakes? You can always go used, I suppose.

Bike designers at big companies are herd animals. You aren't going to get any of them to risk their livelihood by making a rim brake bike that surely will not be ordered by bike shops until they are on deep clearance.

wc1934
05-23-2020, 08:19 AM

And discuss what you like - no need to shut down a topic because it was discussed 3 years ago.

buddybikes
05-23-2020, 08:21 AM
We rode tandems for decades, 300+ total weight and survived rim brakes, even going down a gap in the White Mts and VT. Just press harder.

I like quick release and simplicity of rims.

Jim9112
05-23-2020, 08:41 AM
Do I need them? No not really. Do I enjoy having them? Yup. When I ride my road bike with disc brakes I never think “man I wish I had rim brakes”. When I ride my bike that has rim brakes every once in a while I do think “I like how disc brakes feel better”.

So with that very unscientific argument disc brakes win for me lol. I have been maintaining mountain bikes with disc brakes for years and don’t have any issues, concerns or complaints doing so on a road bike as well.

In the long run as long as your bike stops I don’t really see a problem with either type of brakes. I remember when I first got hydro disc brakes on a mountain bike and people were telling me that was overkill for trail riding.

Ralph
05-23-2020, 08:54 AM
For where I live and mostly ride....No....don't need them. Use brakes very little. Rim brakes fine. Don't remember wearing out a brake pad.

But when I visit the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC, on some of those long scary (to me) descents.....lots of times wish for better brakes. Imagine Colorado road riders can use the disks also.

IMHO....it mostly depends on where and how you ride. Upgrade for some....not necessary for others.

Dekonick
05-23-2020, 09:01 AM

THIS - Essentially rim rakes are really big disk brakes... Duh! As long as you keep your bike relatively clean and wheels relatively true, rim brakes - from a physics point of view - provide the far superior option. Let me see... calipers on a small disk, or a big disk... which provides better stopping ability for force applied? Duh... the big disk AKA a rim... But that doesn't sell bikes...

Dekonick
05-23-2020, 09:05 AM
For where I live and mostly ride....No....don't need them. Use brakes very little. Rim brakes fine. Don't remember wearing out a brake pad.

But when I visit the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC, on some of those long scary (to me) descents.....lots of times wish for better brakes. Imagine Colorado road riders can use the disks also.

IMHO....it mostly depends on where and how you ride. Upgrade for some....not necessary for others.

Do you really believe disks work better than rim brakes? Perhaps when wet, but otherwise I have never had trouble locking up wheels with rim brakes... Not that I try or do it often... The fact I can is all I need to know. Believe me, my kinetic energy far exceeds many here - after all, mass must be taken into account... unfortunately.

Burnette
05-23-2020, 09:10 AM
I see so many road cyclists out with disk brakes. Even inexpensive bikes now have them. I am not interested in these. If you are descending a 2000 meter mountain in the rain I can understand this but most of us are not doing that. Am I missing something. Rim calipers work great for me. I can lock front or rear wheels if I want (obviously I don't do this) and they offer excellent modulation. Is this just something else to sell Americans because it is more expensive?

Disadvantages of Disk Brakes:

1. More expensive
2. Heavier
3. More maintenance
4. More stress on the bike frame and fork
5. Requires special frame
6. Requires special wheels
7. Do I want to mess with hydraulics, master cylinders, brake fluid, brake lines etc.?
8. Dangerous in an accident with other riders.
9. More difficult to determine if they are working properly and safe.

Advantages of Disk Brakes:

1. Don't have to worry about overheating carbon rims.
2. Don't have to worry about brake fade if using brakes to much
3. Easier to design a frame to accommodate wider tires.
4. Work better in the rain.

By reading your post it's not really a question is it? You've laid out your answer for yourself.

And that's what is lost here. You can only answer for yourself, your list, wants/needs/likes are yours, buy accordingly.

Accept or not that others lists will run counter to yours and their choice will differ, and don't let it bother in the least when they do. You've made your choice, enjoy, as others will in their choice.

Kirk007
05-23-2020, 09:24 AM
For many jobs multiple tools may get the job done but chances are one tool is better than the others. Your typical ride is the job, what tool works best? I have both. and they both get the job done. I've descended some of the biggest passes in the Alps and Dolomites with rim brakes and I'm still here typing. That said, on some of those descents, and had it been raining, discs would have been, for me, the better tool. Do a few rides per year justify a different bike with different brakes? That's up to the buyer.

Smitty2k1
05-23-2020, 09:33 AM
While we are talking about disc brakes, can someone tell me how to get mine to stop squeeling?

Tried alcohol and sanding the pads and rotors, and it seems to have gotten better, but still not great. I suspect I needed rougher sandpaper.

Avid BB7s + Shimano RT-54 rotors + whatever resin pads (I can't justify $35 per pad for the Swiss Stop pads when I got the calipers and rotors for like $50 total)

XXtwindad
05-23-2020, 09:35 AM
Have both. Like the hydro discs on the all road bike, for rides like D2R2, and for touring where it can be rainy. I have Dura Ace 9000 calipers on my Firefly, and they've redefined how good a rim brake can be. So on a dry day, on pavement, I don't need disc brakes. When I'm out for several hours doing a long ride with mixed surfaces and some long steep descents, I really like the discs.

Is that so hard, really?

Yep.

Bob Ross
05-23-2020, 09:37 AM
On typical 3 hour ride I may spend 5-10 minutes using the brakes.

That reminds me: 10 or 15 years ago I was having a heated discussion with a fellow cycle club member about the expected longevity of brake pads. I was getting maybe 1/3rd the lifespan she was, and neither of us could fathom how one could wear out brake pads so quickly, or get so much life out of them

...until it eventually became clear that I did 90% of my riding in tight pacelines with other cyclists, and she did 99% of her riding solo.

(Don't think disc brakes would change any of that.)

Imaking20
05-23-2020, 09:58 AM
I'm pretty certain I'll regret chiming in - but here goes.

My personal pros and cons list-

Cons:
-I didn't need disc brakes
-I didn't want disc brakes
-Manufacturers don't care. Less and less rim brake options all the time.
-More involved to work on (initial setup is usually fine but it dissuades me from changing things as often as I would with rim brakes)
-More expensive

Pros:
-My wheel changes are actually easier/quicker (I take time to ensure my calipers are positioned so that they work with all of my wheels - and never have to adjust pad spacing between wheels)
-Modulation on Shimano is excellent (SRAM sucks - not better than rim)
-Gobs of tire clearance
-I'm wearing through pads slower on disc than many rim brake setups
-My bike is regularly quieter when braking than my wife's (rim brake) bike

You'll notice the tired argument of "discs are heavier" isn't included here. Sure, there's more equipment, they'll be heavier - but lots of people lack creativity in getting bikes light whether rim or disc. My Tarmac is super comfortable, respectably aerodynamic, and I've got a configuration that's just barely over 6kg. Even in my regular/daily setup, I'm still under 6.5kg (both weights include a power meter).

Get them if you want them. Don't if you don't. They haven't been life changing for me, but I'm not sure I'd take my whole garage back to rim brakes - as there just aren't major faults I'm seeing in living with discs. I'm also looking forward to having a rim brake bike in the stable again, because simplicity is cool.

akelman
05-23-2020, 10:07 AM
I'm riding a bike with discs for the first time. Not by choice, but because that's mostly how bikes come these days. I typically don't notice a difference from the olden days, though I now realize my rim brakes were poised at all times to kill me. But when I'm descending a long, steep road (like Mix Canyon), I find that my hands are happier when using discs, because I don't have to use as much pressure to keep the bike under control. There are other advantages as well, but those have been discussed above.

In the end, whatever. Rim brakes stop a bike pretty well. Disc brakes stop a bike pretty well. Pretty much all I want is for my brakes to stop my bike, so either will do.

marciero
05-23-2020, 10:09 AM
What is it-February??

merlinmurph
05-23-2020, 10:13 AM
I like quick release and simplicity of rims.

FWIW, I have discs with QRs., though QRs may be hard to find. Shimano CX75 hubs

While we are talking about disc brakes, can someone tell me how to get mine to stop squeeling?

Your pads are probably contaminated and beyond fixing. I went thru that once and after repeated attempts to clean them, ended up just putting new pads in.

Do you really believe disks work better than rim brakes? Perhaps when wet, but otherwise I have never had trouble locking up wheels with rim brakes... Not that I try or do it often...

Locking up isn't the issue. It's prolonged use of brakes on a long, steep descent.

And again, enjoy your ride.

bigbill
05-23-2020, 10:20 AM
Road bikes are rim brake including a set of Boyd 60's. No braking issues, even on the carbon rims.

They're all tubeless, discuss.

Gravel and MTB are disc including a set of Altamonts that I use as my "road" wheels on the gravel bike when I travel with a single bike.

AJosiahK
05-23-2020, 10:20 AM
I lean heavily both ways.

I love rim brake rigs, they are certainly lighter and one can find a brake caliper combo with enough power for those big decent. And there is the cost issue.

Discs do offer exponentially better braking quality and power, albeit at the cost of weight and price point.

Love me some shimano hydro brakes. They are pretty easy to maintain, and set up has gotten easier over time. That said I used to work in a shop and have a good amount of experience setting them up and the tools to do so.

Its an age old question I guess, but I think the answer is just as personal as so many other aspects of cycling are to each rider.

dpdan93
05-23-2020, 10:35 AM
I recently encountered a sudden downpour on my road bike with carbon wheels and rim brakes and it would've been better if I had an anchor to throw off the back when trying to stop. It was laughable.

Don't tell me it was my pads, or the setup etc. I don't want to hear it. I'm not complaining, just providing a small anecdote. I'm perfectly content with my road setup and usually never take that bike out if there are clouds in the sky.

unterhausen
05-23-2020, 10:40 AM
I had a similar experience in the pouring rain a few years ago. I ended up riding through a huge puddle under a railroad bridge that barely had enough room for me and the car that had inexplicably stopped there. Couldn't stop. Too much water on the road to keep my rims clear. I felt extremely lucky there were no underwater obstructions.

dpdan93
05-23-2020, 10:49 AM
Also, I feel like this was a picture of OP as he started this thread

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200523/f551805d11f6304ebe4129436c543b98.jpg

Latestart
05-23-2020, 11:05 AM
+100

SoCalSteve
05-23-2020, 11:07 AM

Tried alcohol and sanding the pads and rotors, and it seems to have gotten better, but still not great. I suspect I needed rougher sandpaper.

Avid BB7s + Shimano RT-54 rotors + whatever resin pads (I can't justify $35 per pad for the Swiss Stop pads when I got the calipers and rotors for like $50 total)

You just answered your own question...:eek:...you get what you pay for.

I use Swissstop Exotherm II pads and Swissstop rotors. Silent.

pdmtong
05-23-2020, 11:12 AM
After we eliminate everyone in this thread (or any other disc thread) that’s never ridden discs for an extended period on a real ride I bet at least 1/2 of the “no discs for me” population goes away

thirdgenbird
05-23-2020, 11:14 AM
I only own two bikes. One has wide profile canti brakes and the other has deltas. Am I disqualified from this conversation?

pdmtong
05-23-2020, 11:29 AM
I only own two bikes. One has wide profile canti brakes and the other has deltas. Am I disqualified from this conversation?

With those two brakes you get your own category of responses!

Seriously I think people need to go use new equipment before concluding one way or another.

The worst thing in cycling is wasting time not having the best experience one could have.

A lot of things have really improved on the road side in the past decade while being essentially static for many years prior

I like any purist love the simplicity of the bicycle. But I also completely embrace carbon sloped top tubes disc and electric. And I would rather have discs than electronic shifting if I had to choose between only those two.

The reduction in hand pressure that discs allow is the home run imho. Akelman notes this earlier. We learned that with the advent of the first mtb discs. No more exploding forearms. Now with disc road you can have the same power from the hoods or drops with one finger.

tomato coupe
05-23-2020, 11:30 AM
After we eliminate everyone in this thread (or any other disc thread) that’s never ridden discs for an extended period on a real ride I bet at least 1/2 of the “no discs for me” population goes away
And the remaining 1/2 probably will be leaving the sport (or the planet) soon due to their age.

Cornfed
05-23-2020, 11:50 AM
For someone like me - heavy rider, lots of climbing and descending, all kinds of weather, and arthritic hands - disc brakes have been a godsend.

To me, the only controversy is, “disc” or “disk”? [emoji1]

unterhausen
05-23-2020, 11:50 AM

I was in the "rim brakes are just bigger discs" camp for a long time. When I finally got some bikes with discs, I learned to appreciate them a lot more. Still building myself frames for rim brakes. I have to admit I have moments of doubt about doing that.

vincenz
05-23-2020, 11:55 AM

I believe the question was do we really NEED disc brakes on road bikes. If you had to pick yes or no, the answer would be no, given the proven performance of rim since forever. Everything else is just a preference or want.

DeBike
05-23-2020, 12:11 PM
I can answer only for me, no. I live in a very flat area, so long, steep descent braking is not an issue, unless I am traveling and biking in hilly/mountainous areas. Even then, if dry, I am ok with rim brakes.

I have bikes with both mechanical disc and rim brakes. Even when it is wet, with Koolstop orange pads for the rim brakes, I see or feel not much difference in stopping with disc or rim brakes. Maybe hydraulic disc brakes make a bigger difference.

It seems to me, a lot of very active cyclists find solutions looking for a problem. I am certainly guilty of that. Sometimes the tinkering pays off on the plus side, sometimes on the negative. Even the negative becomes a plus if you learned, and retained, a bit of knowledge .

pdmtong
05-23-2020, 12:15 PM
I believe the question was do we really NEED disc brakes on road bikes. If you had to pick yes or no, the answer would be no, given the proven performance of rim since forever. Everything else is just a preference or want.

That’s a fine line

By that same logic no one needs STI ergo or double tap and we would go back to downtube friction shifting

I guess we could even stretch that and ask do we need a RD and gears?

Yes rim brakes are proven since time began

people expressing opinions without experience are speculating. since road design had been Static for so long there’s a lot of inertia against opening up to new things and I bet it is jarring for a road only person to be washed over by this tide of rotors and electrons and composites. Not all of it is great but a lot of it can make for a much better experience.

thirdgenbird
05-23-2020, 12:24 PM
With those two brakes you get your own category of responses!

For what it’s worth, if I just had to replace the road bike, it would be rim brake without question. I find them simple, functional and attractive.

If I were just replacing the gravel/cx bike, it would be discs for the extra clearance and ability to select rim size and material independently of brake adjustment and performance. Having a bike like this and a few wheelsets with different tire and cassette sizes is pretty handy. I do this now, but I match hub and rim specs to eliminate adjustment of the brakes and RD.

If both bikes were taken from me and I had to replace both, I would heavily consider discs on both so I could have the benefit of wheel swapping between both bikes. Realistically however, the road bike would probably stay on 28s and I would grab bike 2 for anything wider. So probably a steel frame with record 12 and rims brakes next to an alloy frame with Chorus 12 and discs. The latter would have a 700c and 650b wheeslet.

How’s that for a tangent?

charliedid
05-23-2020, 12:24 PM
As others have mentioned I think it's a case by case deal. Ride what makes sense for you, your comfort and your safety.

Ride bikes not brakes.

pdmtong
05-23-2020, 01:03 PM
For what it’s worth, if I just had to replace the road bike, it would be rim brake without question. I find them simple, functional and attractive.

If I were just replacing the gravel/cx bike, it would be discs for the extra clearance and ability to select rim size and material independently of brake adjustment and performance. Having a bike like this and a few wheelsets with different tire and cassette sizes is pretty handy. I do this now, but I match hub and rim specs to eliminate adjustment of the brakes and RD.

If both bikes were taken from me and I had to replace both, I would heavily consider discs on both so I could have the benefit of wheel swapping between both bikes. Realistically however, the road bike would probably stay on 28s and I would grab bike 2 for anything wider. So probably a steel frame with record 12 and rims brakes next to an alloy frame with Chorus 12 and discs. The latter would have a 700c and 650b wheeslet.

How’s that for a tangent?

Chapeau well said. Especially regarding the wheel swapping aspect.

Your response highlights a conundrum for me.

I cannot reconcile metal with discs for road only application.

I love the way my metal bikes ride but am unwilling to order a new metal frame with discs and then find myself with an even heavier bike.

And I don’t need another rim brake metal bike. So that means disc road for me is a carbon frame. And since I bought one last year apparently I’ve boxed myself in a corner with no more rationalization for N+1.

Then again N+1 by definition is not required to be rational

vincenz
05-23-2020, 01:04 PM
That’s a fine line

By that same logic no one needs STI ergo or double tap and we would go back to downtube friction shifting

Yes rim brakes are proven since time began

people expressing opinions without experience are speculating. since road design had been Static for so long there’s a lot of inertia against opening up to new things and I bet it is jarring for a road only person to be washed over by this tide of rotors and electrons and composites. Not all of it is great but a lot of it can make for a much better experience.

Not really the best analogy. STI levers fixed ergonomic, performance, and even safety issues with friction shifters and if making a blanket statement, was necessary. Gears are also a necessity of road riding, and should not be included in the discussion.

Modern rims and calipers are the pinnacle of rim brake systems. I know I don’t ever feel like I’m going to die when rounding corners on my rim brakes. I also know pros have done better than you or me on them since forever in all terrain.

The technical stuff isn’t lost on me. Electronics belong at my work and rotors belong on motorcycles, neither on my bikes. I believe enough people in the know of this sport will keep rim brakes alive. Anyway, to the important stuff, get back to me when there’s a road bike that looks good with disc brakes and that doesn’t look like a spaceship... Also get back to me if they’re ever able to make them less porky than rim brakes.

dpdan93
05-23-2020, 01:12 PM
Not really the best analogy. STI levers fixed ergonomic, performance, and even safety issues with friction shifters and if making a blanket statement, was necessary. Gears are also a necessity of road riding, and should not be included in the discussion.

Modern rims and calipers are the pinnacle of rim brake systems. I know I don’t ever feel like I’m going to die when rounding corners on my rim brakes. I also know pros have done better than you or me on them since forever in all terrain.

The technical stuff isn’t lost on me. Electronics belong at my work and rotors belong on motorcycles, neither on my bikes. I believe enough people in the know of this sport will keep rim brakes alive. Anyway, to the important stuff, get back to me when there’s a road bike that looks good with disc brakes and that doesn’t look like a spaceship... Also get back to me if they’re ever able to make them less porky than rim brakes.

you don't think a disc brake setup also addressed safety and performance issues in certain circumstances..?

dpdan93
05-23-2020, 01:23 PM
This place is wild.

thirdgenbird
05-23-2020, 01:25 PM
This place is wild.

If you think this is bad, go to a camera forum and mention switching brands or sensor sizes.

ColonelJLloyd
05-23-2020, 01:33 PM

+1

I'm definitely in the "you do you" camp. If one is claiming the advantages aren't meaningful them I don't think they're being honest or they'e never ridden good disc brakes. If one is saying they don't apply to them, then they can say that. What do I know?

Last night I descended 400 feet of elevation within 1.2 curvy miles and I was so happy to have disc brakes. A 160mm rotor on the back would've been nice.

All this is hard to compare apples to apples. Mechanical discs aren't in the same league as hydraulic in my experience.

Smitty2k1
05-23-2020, 01:33 PM
If you think this is bad, go to a camera forum and mention switching brands or sensor sizes.

Or for that matter go discuss literally anything on BikeForums.net. Gosh that place sometimes...

DrSpoke
05-23-2020, 01:48 PM
Such a rude comment. I just turned 69 last month and I've ridden Campy only w/caliper brakes on all my road bikes for the last 50 years. Even my latest addition, a Battaglin Power+, will be Campy w/caliper brakes. I agree w/many that, at least here in SoCal, rim brakes seem more than adequate for my needs. But I would would be open to a road disc in the future.

That said, my gravel bike is Shimano w/hydraulic disc & Di2. And my mountain bike is XTR Di2 as well with, of course, disc brakes. So I'm not exactly stuck in the dark ages.

This whole thread in my opinion is stupid. Let people make their own decisions on what works best based on their individual wants, needs and desires. And even though it appears the caliper brake option may be limited in the future for new bikes I don't see that as a major problem.

What's even more stupid is that when you say "brakes" everyone thinks stopping power. And, while that is important, for me the best thing about discs is the ability to be able to run about any rim/tire width you like assuming adequate frame clearance. For my Ridley X-Trail I have wheelsets w/25, 30 & 35 tires. I also have a set of 28 road slicks which are ideal for the Belgian Waffle Ride - 144 miles, approx. 100 on pavement and 45 on dirt. And am now running a 38 front, 35 rear for general mixed pavement/trail use.

My first disc bike was in 2015. And I started using tubeless road tires in 2010. Many may not admit it or even realize it but almost all of the recent innovations for road bikes has trickled down from mountain bikes and, more lately, from gravel bikes.

In my experience everything evolves over time. It's the general drive for improvements. Though some always decry their assumption that's it's always marketing driven and the desire to sell new bikes. In my experience, the year to year evolution isn't much. But if you look back 5 (for mtn bikes) or maybe 10 years (for road bikes) it adds up to the point that the older bikes are very dated.

Do you want to be riding a road bike from the 50s or 60s? Or drive a car from the 50s or 60s? Many of us do but as a daily driver, probably not. Yet many seem to be stuck in the 90s when it comes to road bikes.

And the remaining 1/2 probably will be leaving the sport (or the planet) soon due to their age.

vincenz
05-23-2020, 01:55 PM
you don't think a disc brake setup also addressed safety and performance issues in certain circumstances..?

I don’t believe the overall delta of improvement from rim to disc is the same as from downtube to STI and therefore not entirely comparable.

I believe rim and disc will coexist so long as there are enough merits for both. If disc can overcome maintenance and weight issues to the point where these disadvantages are worth replacing rim systems entirely, then discussion would be different, but I don’t believe they will ever be able to do so safely. So long as rim development continues concurrently, I don’t see it going away completely and given all of the reasons above, I personally would continue investing in rim. Same goes for mechanical vs electronic.

thirdgenbird
05-23-2020, 01:56 PM
Or for that matter go discuss literally anything on BikeForums.net. Gosh that place sometimes...

Yep. PL is one of the few good places left.

unterhausen
05-23-2020, 01:56 PM
To me, the only controversy is, “disc” or “disk”? [emoji1]
I have no idea why they are called disc instead of disk. But I know at least one person that goes into a rage when he sees it misspelled. I was a bit surprised. But there isn't actually a controversy at all.

uber
05-23-2020, 02:06 PM
"Need" is an interesting concept. I don't "need" disc or most of the bling stuff I bought for myself. I really like my aero carbon bike with electronic shifting and disc brakes. That is enough justification for me. I like my steel bikes with rim brakes too. Disc brakes give me more confidence whether justified or not. I agree with Paul, in that electronic shifting is great, but I would sooner go back to mechanical shifting than rim brakes if I were buying another bike.

dpdan93
05-23-2020, 02:08 PM

I think it’s everyone, everywhere. People love wrecking other people lol

mcteague
05-23-2020, 02:11 PM
I have no idea why they are called disc instead of disk. But I know at least one person that goes into a rage when he sees it misspelled. I was a bit surprised. But there isn't actually a controversy at all.

I know. In audio CDs are discs but in IT they are disks! I think many of us feel the popularity of disk brakes are a subtle slam on our choice of bikes. Guess that is marketing 101. I too hope there will be nice rim choices in the future if we keep riding our rim brake bikes. Heck, I’m still riding alloy rims!

Tim

ThasFACE
05-23-2020, 03:38 PM
I tend to find other stuff to do when it's raining more than a little, so rain-braking isn't too much of a concern for me, but I do appreciate how much discs save your hands on long/aggressive descents.

That aside, a good rim setup is plenty for me, but new/different gear is fun to play with.

maxim809
05-23-2020, 04:04 PM
Disc isn't for me, zero benefits for my use cases. I'm happy to ride them during rentals.

When friends and newcomers ask me what their first bike brake tech should be, I help them see a few of the trade-offs like OP has listed, and help them find something that's a great value that fits, with looks they love. Nowadays, a lot of that ends up being disc given the offerings off the shelves. As a rim brake fan, this also makes hunting NOS harder, but also more satisfying when I find it.

I used to have a huge problem against disc years ago. I've worked that complex out of my system, and now I'm open and less stressed.

Those who mentioned camera sensor size/brand -- yes totally. And I think that debate can get really hard or easy, because IMO there are deeper subjectivities and personal preferences to image quality than braking effectiveness.

ciclista_tifoso
05-23-2020, 05:13 PM

A few folks already covered it, but from my own subjective perspective:

The advantage of disc for multi/mixed terrain (and various weather conditions) riding, on higher-grade than average descents/hills, along with wider tire clearance (and carbon wheels without concern for brake track surface, etc) are all self-evident benefits.

For a pure road bike, there's really no worthwhile benefit, and it may be more practical overall to stick to rim brakes.

All that aside, it's up to the buyer, ultimately.

Does the buyer dictate demand, or do 'market leaders' influence/condition the consumer to help 'develop' demand? Or does innovation (in refining hydro disc/wheels for road bikes) contribute to demand? Perhaps some or all of the above, among other factors.

Such is capitalism. Not unique to the road bike world only, of course.

pdmtong
05-23-2020, 06:44 PM
I just looked at the specialized site - discs are on road bikes down to $2,000. Under $2k you get rim.

As many people have noted, whether we like it or not the industry is force feeding us. It reminds me of early mtb - when even cheap bikes had to have a suspended fork to legitimize the offering to the casual buyer.

I wonder if having a disc inhibits folks from learning the right skills? this is purely a rhetorical question since there is no going back. Probably not, since my learnning to clear a rock garden on a six speed rigid mtb with a u-brake and toe clips didn't make me a better rider on my 140mm FS....the latter just makes things a lot easier and I could go a lot faster.

I rode my carbon disc bike today.
I look forward to riding my steel rim bike tomorrow.
It's 82d and sunny!

tylercheung
05-23-2020, 07:08 PM
Someone will probably figure out how to make hydro rim brakes workable, and then sell new rims that won't be crushed by the force....

choke
05-23-2020, 07:20 PM
Someone will probably figure out how to make hydro rim brakes workable, and then sell new rims that won't be crushed by the force....
They've been around at least since the 90s and work great. I used them for years, no problem at all with too much force on the rims. Google Magura HS33. There was also a road version though I don't think that they sold many of them.

Spdntrxi
05-23-2020, 07:20 PM
I just looked at the specialized site - discs are on road bikes down to $2,000. Under $2k you get rim.

As many people have noted, whether we like it or not the industry is force feeding us. It reminds me of early mtb - when even cheap bikes had to have a suspended fork to legitimize the offering to the casual buyer.

I wonder if having a disc inhibits folks from learning the right skills? this is purely a rhetorical question since there is no going back. Probably not, since my learnning to clear a rock garden on a six speed rigid mtb with a u-brake and toe clips didn't make me a better rider on my 140mm FS....the latter just makes things a lot easier and I could go a lot faster.

I rode my carbon disc bike today.
I look forward to riding my steel rim bike tomorrow.
It's 82d and sunny!

Pretty much...

I rode my rim brake Ti bike today.
I look forward to riding my disc-brake Carbon wonder bike on Monday ( I need a rest day after Diablo)

flying
05-23-2020, 07:37 PM
That’s a fine line

I am in the run what you want camp but I have seen the example you use many times & I always think it does not fit.

Reason...When Indexed shift came out everyone ran to it...Same with indexed STI levers

Although no gears was well before my time
(except on the Schwinn stingray of course)
I imagine everyone ran towards that "improvement" also

But disc? It has been fought tooth & nail by not just enthusiast but even the pro peloton has had its moments & continues to reject it in some sectors

So in this case I think the disc debate is quite different than index shifting/gears or even clipless pedals
(which did have many holdouts like Sean Kelly)

The main problem here with disc is as many have said it is being force fed to customers & choices are being removed.

Braking & modulation was never a problem obviously as history shows. But if a finger had to be pointed it was crap carbon rims that were hard to stop when wet

Other than that all the rest should just be preferences

But instead it is the industry looking for dollars. What better income stream than to cut the upgrade ability & force feed new frames/wheels;)

Burnette
05-23-2020, 08:32 PM
I am in the run what you want camp but I have seen the example you use many times & I always think it does not fit.

Reason...When Indexed shift came out everyone ran to it...Same with indexed STI levers

But disc? It has been fought tooth & nail by not just enthusiast but even the pro peloton has had its moments & continues to reject it in some sectors

So in this case I think the disc debate is quite different than index shifting/gears or even clipless pedals

The main problem here with disc is as many have said it is being force fed to customers & choices are being removed.

Braking & modulation was never a problem obviously as history shows. But if a finger had to be pointed it was crap carbon rims that were hard to stop when wet

But instead it is the industry looking for dollars. What better income stream than to cut the upgrade ability & force feed new frames/wheels;)

In no way are you or any consumer force fed disc brakes. The bicycle market is saturated with so many choices that if you want a carbon, steel, titanium or aluminum bike with rim brakes you can have it. They are still available.

Are some brands and models selling disc only? Yes, and the reason is consumer demand. To the insinuate that your fellow cyclist cannot discern what they want from marketing is to hold yourself in too high esteem. If everybody in the world is a fool but yourself, then it's a good time for self reflection. Like you people put their money on what they wanted. There's no wrong with either decision.

And the industry looking for dollars? All do, it's how they make money, but to do so you have to supply what people want and will pay for, the demand for disc is real.

Did we really need 11 speed and if so is 12 speed marketing crap and a money grab? Or is it like you and I believe in bold above, that it all works and it really just comes down to preference?

charliedid
05-23-2020, 08:51 PM
Step, for one moment outside the the holy sanctum of your own riding and bike handling skills. Now think about disc brakes as a natural evolution of performance and safety for the average person who buys and rides a bike for recreation, not a marketing scheme. Without a doubt I believe that disc brakes are better and safer for most riders.

Way better. Way safer.

Tickdoc
05-23-2020, 09:18 PM
This flatlander says no. I’ve ridden them, and felt no safer than on rim brakes.

charliedid
05-23-2020, 09:30 PM
This flatlander says no. I’ve ridden them, and felt no safer than on rim brakes.

You didn't take the step.

Tickdoc
05-23-2020, 09:45 PM
You didn't take the step.

Heh?

mj_michigan
05-23-2020, 10:28 PM
Completely by accident (was looking for a particular review recently) I noticed that, on average, bikes reviewed on Road.cc have gained about a kilogram over the last decade. I found it very curious as well as the change in perception of what light weight is in the eyes of the reviewers. Disc brakes and electronic shifting must have contributed to this.

thirdgenbird
05-23-2020, 10:33 PM
Completely by accident (was looking for a particular review recently) I noticed that, on average, bikes reviewed on Road.cc have gained about a kilogram over the last decade. I found it very curious as well as the change in perception of what light weight is in the eyes of the reviewers. Disc brakes and electronic shifting must have contributed to this.

Don’t forget that gear ranges and tires sizes have both increased pretty dramatically over the last decade.

charliedid
05-23-2020, 10:34 PM
Heh?

I'm just saying that I think disc brakes are safer and better for the general consumer of bicycles as recreational sporting goods.

I'm not saying every enthusiast should embrace them or even need them but our needs may be different. And our abilities *might* be better than average.

colker
05-23-2020, 10:36 PM
No.

We don´t even need this thread.

Tickdoc
05-23-2020, 11:19 PM
I'm just saying that I think disc brakes are safer and better for the general consumer of bicycles as recreational sporting goods.

I'm not saying every enthusiast should embrace them or even need them but our needs may be different. And our abilities *might* be better than average.

You may be right. I didn’t realize we meant for the average consumer. I started riding with single pivot rim brakes that were finicky and would always hang up on one side and rub after Braking....but they still worked, and I could work with them, with even my very unmechanical hands. But....How long will disc brakes work in the hands of the average consumer? Will they be able to service them at all?

And for the record, my abilities have always been in question:)

martl
05-24-2020, 02:12 AM

true.

Some people actually use bikes as transport even.. :)

As a transport, the success of the bicycle is down to being as affordable as it can be, and as easy to use/maintain as it can be.

Recently, we see a trend to the opposite side - a gadget here, a safety device there, and we end up with a bike that may be more comfortable to use, safer, more convenient, true. It also will have a pricetag 3x of what it really needed to be for the purpose at hand (i.e. going from A to B), serviceability by the layman diminished, a couple of USB connectors, and a very limited lifespan.

A disk brake may be an improvement for some uses, i'm just not sure we are headed in the right general direction atm. Not that i think that trend can be stopped ever.

oldpotatoe
05-24-2020, 08:34 AM

Because it was first on MTBs..and when you were bouncing around, using any kind of friction shifting, it was just too hard. PLUS, bike sales were drying up..giving bikes a 'automatic' transmission where there was zero skill or finesse involved..it resurrected the bike industry. And MTBs first.

AND discs were also a transfer from MTB..ride in wet/mud/crap? Still have (disc) brakes. Smack and bend a wheel? Still have(disc) brakes..

NEIHER of those things really apply to the road bike enthusiast. Yes, you can ride in the wet and you can wack a rim on a road bike but rare on a road bike, to say the least. Certainly not reason to go to click shifting or disc brakes on a dry day, flatish road bike.

Good news that, altho there is 'suspension' on some road bikes, thankfully isn't hasn't come to this.

BUT, yep, bike biz has been flat for decades..so it 'needs' something..Add 2% sales, another company sales goes down 2%..

Mr. Pink
05-24-2020, 08:57 AM

Well, it has been educational. I've had some bad glimmers in the back of my brain about getting another bike, and that would be a crucial decision in the process. Haven't paid much attention to the subject, I can stop just fine with what I have, but I was wondering if I'd be essentially building an obsolete bike if I didnt go disc. (I will always be scarred from my Betamax decision) Seems that the consensus is that it's not necessary for dry road roadies. Which is cool. Hate to be trying to buy old school brake pads and wheels on Ebay in the future because of not keeping up with the cool kids when I ordered the frame.

They must be a godsend for tandem owners, though. And, I'd probably feel safer if I did a lot of long, screaming descents in big mountains with discs. But, trips to the Alps ain't happening for awhile.

colker
05-24-2020, 09:16 AM

They are easier to set up than cantilevers. I spend hours when i have to adjust toe in on mine.. not everyone is a masochist like me.

TheseGoTo11
05-24-2020, 04:56 PM
Whoa, 7 pages! Disc brakes are still a hot button! I’ll add my two cents...never had any complaints about rim brakes, but now that I’m riding a disc bike, I can say I like them better. They don’t stop any better, IMO, I just like the aesthetic and mechanical concept better. Applying friction to the rim seems kind of like the Flintstones dragging their feet to stop the car to me in retrospect.

martl
05-25-2020, 12:56 AM
Whoa, 7 pages! Disc brakes are still a hot button! I’ll add my two cents...never had any complaints about rim brakes, but now that I’m riding a disc bike, I can say I like them better. They don’t stop any better, IMO, I just like the aesthetic and mechanical concept better. Applying friction to the rim seems kind of like the Flintstones dragging their feet to stop the car to me in retrospect.

You apply friction to a machined surface with both, disc brake and rim brake. The rim just doubles as a mount point for your tire and also takes the force symmetrically instead of asymmetrically.

oldpotatoe
05-25-2020, 06:12 AM
They are easier to set up than cantilevers. I spend hours when i have to adjust toe in on mine.. not everyone is a masochist like me.

??Discs are easier to set up?

A challenge..2 naked frames and boxes with a disc brake kit and a canti brake kit..NOT 'precut or bled'..either and....

GO..and see which guy is done first 'setting them up'....

Which bike related thread do we 'need'??

merlinmurph
05-25-2020, 06:55 AM
OK, a different perspective....

Who needs a Porsche 911? 90+% of the drivers use only a fraction of its capabilities. But, it does have discs. :)

Anyways, enjoy your ride.

jctonett
05-25-2020, 07:08 AM
Film vs. digital.

Compact disc vs. vinyl...? Wait...

Personally, I don't see caliper brakes going away in the short term, nor do I see myself buying a bike with disk brakes given the money I have invested in wheels.

MikeD
05-25-2020, 10:06 AM
2600 miles and my Shimano 105 pads were worn out.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200525/297959e5a5e9e6295c17670b5cf4842f.jpg

In my experience, rim brake pads last 10x as long, and are easily inspectable. How many non-tech savy riders unknowingly run their pads down to metal to metal contact before realizing their pads are worn out?

Jeff N.
05-25-2020, 03:20 PM
Short answer: No.

Mikej
05-25-2020, 04:44 PM
2600 miles and my Shimano 105 pads were worn out.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200525/297959e5a5e9e6295c17670b5cf4842f.jpg

In my experience, rim brake pads last 10x as long, and are easily inspectable. How many non-tech savy riders unknowingly run their pads down to metal to metal contact before realizing their pads are worn out?

Did the other side wear down that much? They are easily looked at while assembled.

colker
05-25-2020, 06:20 PM

A challenge..2 naked frames and boxes with a disc brake kit and a canti brake kit..NOT 'precut or bled'..either and....

Which bike related thread do we 'need'??

Truth be told i never had a disc brake bike so what do i know?

Jaybee
05-25-2020, 06:28 PM

This is kind of a false comparison, since Shimano and SRAM (not sure about Campy, never set it up) provide their kit with the caliper and hose pre-bled and plugged and I've never had to bleed upon install, but even so I'm willing to bet that an experienced, modern bike mechanic can setup discs faster. A bleed is like 20 minutes tops. And then you don't have cantis on your bike when your done.

Hilltopperny
05-25-2020, 06:41 PM
Short answer for me is no, but plenty of people want. The disk brake system for a road bike does not really have any advantages for me at this stage, but it will keep those nice carbon hoops from wearing out if that is your thing. They are also easier on the hands when stopping to an extent.

I have disk brakes on my gravel and mountain bikes where they do shine. After drastically reducing my bike collection I am down to one steel road bike equipped with Campagnolo 8spd chorus and 23mm tires:eek: It rides like a dream even with my 212lb :butt: and I have no desire to replace it with anything else.

MikeD
05-25-2020, 07:33 PM
Did the other side wear down that much? They are easily looked at while assembled.

Both sides the same. Rear worn about the same as the front.

mtechnica
05-25-2020, 07:36 PM
Need?

Robot870
05-25-2020, 07:55 PM
For me it's rim brake! There's something wonderful about a simple system......

Toddtwenty2
05-25-2020, 08:55 PM
I see benefits to both.

Disc brakes are better at stopping when wet, they allow you to switch between 700c and 650b tires, and they allow you to save rim wear and potentially create rims with less rotational weight due to the lack of need for extra material on the braking surface.

However, I still prefer rim brakes. I like the simplicity of installing and maintaining them and they weigh a bit less. Most importantly, however, the ride of a nicely tuned fork that can be achieved when you don't have extra stresses on one fork blade is just lovely. This can surely be achieved with a very rigid fork sporting gigantic Compass tires or a full suspension mountain bike frame, but it's less elegant. A fork that is tuned to your weight and riding style is pretty sublime. To me, in my use cases, the benefits of rim brakes are more important.

XXtwindad
05-25-2020, 09:48 PM
If I still lived in my hometown of Sacramento, (or Florida or the Netherlands) it would be a no brainer. Rim brakes.

But I live in the Bay Area, home to really steep descents and rough roads. Discs and wider tires are much more efficient for those.

tomato coupe
05-25-2020, 09:52 PM
Who needs a Porsche 911? 90+% of the drivers use only a fraction of its capabilities. But, it does have discs. :)
I need a 911 to carry my disc brake bike ...
https://forums.thepaceline.net/picture.php?albumid=132&pictureid=615

Toddtwenty2
05-25-2020, 09:58 PM
Haha! Touche.

Toddtwenty2
05-25-2020, 10:03 PM
I don't know. I lived in the Bay area for years, and it only rained 3 times. Plus, steel forks are nice for rough roads. :fight:

If I still lived in my hometown of Sacramento, (or Florida or the Netherlands) it would be a no brainer. Rim brakes.

But I live in the Bay Area, home to really steep descents and rough roads. Discs and wider tires are much more efficient for those.

tylercheung
05-25-2020, 10:10 PM

touché!
edit: Toddtwenty2 beat me to it!

elcolombiano
05-26-2020, 03:22 AM

I used to have a 911 and if I removed both wheels the bike fit in the back seat just fine.

Lionel
05-26-2020, 03:55 AM
911 ? I like this thread drift

https://i.imgur.com/AkJe1hG.jpg

oldpotatoe
05-26-2020, 06:27 AM
This is kind of a false comparison, since Shimano and SRAM (not sure about Campy, never set it up) provide their kit with the caliper and hose pre-bled and plugged and I've never had to bleed upon install, but even so I'm willing to bet that an experienced, modern bike mechanic can setup discs faster. A bleed is like 20 minutes tops. And then you don't have cantis on your bike when your done.

Never had to shorten a brake line? Take apart to get the brake line thru some wee holes in the frame or fork?

Yes, an experienced, modern bike mechanic CAN set discs up quickly but they can also 'set up' calipers really quickly also..Yup, disc brake install isn't a black art..BUT, and really kinda moot since dern near all bikes built these days have disc brakes but disc brakes ARE more complicated, heavier and more expensive..
Mr Colker confesses
Truth be told i never had a disc brake bike so what do i know?

mcteague
05-26-2020, 06:42 AM
I think this Pegoretti quote linked in Thinking of Dario... (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=252479) is appropriate to this thread.

You are annoyed by some of the larger bicycle manufacturers because they change every year, and you are annoyed at the customers who buy those bicycles because they think new must be better. You are not against innovation—you helped introduce lugless TIG welding to the world—but you are annoyed at the fetishization of modernity, at how people grow so enthralled with the new they abandon the old ways even if some of those are good ways. You are annoyed about the corrosive effects of wealth, and about customers who don't pay attention to how, when they ride, the bicycle tries to communicate with them, give them a feel. They seem not to know or care if they feel better or they feel bad.

Tim

merlinmurph
05-26-2020, 07:40 AM

HA! Love it

choke
05-26-2020, 07:45 AM
I think this Pegoretti quote linked in Thinking of Dario... (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=252479) is appropriate to this thread.

You are annoyed by some of the larger bicycle manufacturers because they change every year, and you are annoyed at the customers who buy those bicycles because they think new must be better. You are not against innovation—you helped introduce lugless TIG welding to the world—but you are annoyed at the fetishization of modernity, at how people grow so enthralled with the new they abandon the old ways even if some of those are good ways. You are annoyed about the corrosive effects of wealth, and about customers who don't pay attention to how, when they ride, the bicycle tries to communicate with them, give them a feel. They seem not to know or care if they feel better or they feel bad.

TimBetter yet, this one....

“One of the main functions of disc brakes is to solve the problems of the carbon wheels manufacturers. Solve problems of the wheels is not my job.” --Dario Pegoretti

redir
05-26-2020, 07:46 AM
I love disk brakes! Now when a peruse the classifieds I can find what were once $2,000 dollar Zipp rim brake wheels for $300 bucks.

Yup I love disk brakes :D

Gummee
05-26-2020, 07:50 AM
Never had to shorten a brake line? Take apart to get the brake line thru some wee holes in the frame or fork?

Yes, an experienced, modern bike mechanic CAN set discs up quickly but they can also 'set up' calipers really quickly also..Yup, disc brake install isn't a black art..BUT, and really kinda moot since dern near all bikes built these days have disc brakes but disc brakes ARE more complicated, heavier and more expensive..
Mr Colker confesses

:)Guy needed new cables and housing on his Emonda yesterday. Screw holding the cable stop to the TT is stripped...

Managed to get the cable thru the frame and out the stop FIRST TRY! ...then realized that SRAM levers need ferrules on the housing. I KNEW that it was going to be a PITA to get that cable back thru.

Yup.

Took 2.5 hours to get that #$%#$ cable thru that little hole again.

Strapped the front tire to the door stop and hung it so the stop was straight dow> Used the magnet from the Park kit and got lucky.

M

Jaybee
05-26-2020, 07:53 AM

Mr Colker confesses

They come with the caliper and hose as one piece and the lever as a separate piece. If you aren’t sloppy, you can cut the hose without losing fluid. Add barb, olive, tighten into lever.

flying
05-26-2020, 11:50 AM
Better yet, this one....

“One of the main functions of disc brakes is to solve the problems of the carbon wheels manufacturers. Solve problems of the wheels is not my job.” --Dario Pegoretti

Yes that one ^^^

Funny when you think about it & wonder if it was worth it after all?... or would it have been easier to claim the carbon wheel gains in another way & negate the need for additional weight & complexity of the newly created "solution"