PDA

View Full Version : How much is too tight... front derailleur

terrytnt
01-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Like many cyclist fanatics, I want my bike to perform well and hum along with no annoying sounds. So when I detect something, I'm relentless to locate the cause and eliminate it.

Last few weeks I noticed a repetitive tick sound that I was FINALLY able to diagnose. It appears to be related to the torque of my front derailleur clamp (Campy Record) to the seat tube (Ti). However, even when I torque the required amount - 5 Nm or 44 in lbs, the ticking seems to come back, especially when I'm in the drops. Last week I tighten the clamp to 50 in lbs. and it seemed to work.

Here's the question, how much is too much when it comes to torquing the front derailleur clamp?

Anyone else ever experienced this annoying sound?

thanks folks,

tnt

Too Tall
01-22-2007, 12:07 PM
Just tight enough. Over tightening or in my opinion tightening beyond what you need to ANY amt. is risky stuff on many modern bikes. Yes I have had the same thing on my own bikes and the cure is clean up the clamp area and put it back on.

David Kirk
01-22-2007, 01:30 PM
Take 400 sandpaper and sand off the anodizing on the inside of the clamp (makes it much less slippery) and then reinstall with a light coat of grease. Tighten just enough so it doesn't move and it will be silent.

Dave

terrytnt
01-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Great tips Dave and Too Tall.

I had thought about roughing up the inside of the clamp, but not applying a line layer of grease (I use Phil's). Will do so tonight and return to the spec torque pressure... 5 Nm.

thanks,

tnt

Xyzzy
01-22-2007, 03:18 PM
I use the small end of the allen wrench. I have no idea what torque that is.

I do the same thing for cable retaining bolts on derailleurs and brakes, and on brake pad holders.

I wonder how much torque it would take to crush a seat tube?

swoop
01-22-2007, 03:39 PM
I use the small end of the allen wrench. I have no idea what torque that is.

I do the same thing for cable retaining bolts on derailleurs and brakes, and on brake pad holders.

I wonder how much torque it would take to crush a seat tube?

not much sometimes.

Too Tall
01-22-2007, 05:23 PM
Man I was hoping certain folks would miss this thread...painful memories of FOCO ouch.