PDA

View Full Version : DIY Power? Just drill a small hole....

batman1425
05-22-2020, 04:08 PM
What could possibly go wrong?

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/05/yes-you-can-build-a-diy-power-meter-at-home-but-please-dont/

The thought exercise and tinkering component is interesting, but the risk of a bad ending seems exceedingly high here.

eBAUMANN
05-22-2020, 04:21 PM
its still $330...just buy a used stages for $150 and call it a day.

that said, i highly HIGHLY doubt the spindle would fail as a result of a 2mm hole in the middle.
is it MORE LIKELY to fail that it WAS, yes...but its still probably fine. probably.

m_sasso
05-22-2020, 06:28 PM

that said, i highly HIGHLY doubt the spindle would fail as a result of a 2mm hole in the middle.
is it MORE LIKELY to fail that it WAS, yes...but its still probably fine. probably.

Agree, a bit of an alarmist rant to save all cyclists the world over, and he called it first.

Interesting project, however certainly not cost effective. Just purchased a used double sided commercially constructed Infocrank for less than the cost of the Zwatt electronics module.

slambers3
05-22-2020, 06:45 PM
How are you supposed to install it on a conventional BB? Maybe pre-install one bearing, but what happens when that wears out?

unterhausen
05-22-2020, 07:57 PM
I was curious about installation too. I don't think they really care about any of that. You certainly would have to put the one bearing on the crank first.

martl
05-23-2020, 03:34 AM

I agree. btw there are a lot of machine parts under severe torsional or bending forces with holes in them, the crankshaft of your car for example.
The author says it is especially dangerous because a BB once installed isn't checked but i can'T see what he is expecting to gain from looking at the spindle every now and then, it will either look normal (good) or broken, but you*d have noticed that....

I'd be much more worried about wasting 300$ for a system that doesn't work afte installation. I did an Internship at an industrial test/research facility when strain gauges became more commonly used and if they weren't applied correctly (which is easy to mess up) they measured f*all. Also you needed a bit of pricey equipment to calibrate.