PDA

View Full Version : Pretty darn nice

zap
05-22-2020, 02:54 PM

zap
05-22-2020, 02:57 PM

tv_vt
05-22-2020, 04:05 PM
I hardly recognize rear derailleurs anymore. I guess the kids who played with Power Rangers have grown up to be tech designers.

paredown
05-22-2020, 04:09 PM
I hardly recognize rear derailleurs anymore. I guess the kids who played with Power Rangers have grown up to be tech designers.

I know, right. That Chorus rear looks like a humanoid on a space age motorcycle...

Peter P.
05-22-2020, 04:16 PM

THAT was funny!

thirdgenbird
05-22-2020, 04:23 PM
I was surprised at how big my chorus 12 derailleurs were next to record 10 but I was equally surprised at how light they were given the size. I don’t weigh them, but my brain expected more.

Someday, I may update to a disc frame and Paul’s but for now, it is canti brakes.

Chorus 12, Paul brakes, Rolf wheels and a wound up fork is a bike I built in my head last week.

zap
05-22-2020, 04:35 PM
Just finished rebuilding one of our tandems......Chorus 12 (alas ultegra fd), Paul caliper brakes, new FSA carbon cranks, Gates timing belt and a few other bits.

Test rode (solo) the tandem this afternoon and the rear shifting is impressive.....superior to the Ultegra 8000 that I have on my Trek. Realized after I connected all the cables that the supplied rear cable housing is a bit short but it's not having an impact on shifting quality.

The Paul brakes with Campy arms are promising. Easy to set up.

Maiden voyage tomorrow morning......with tools. I had the coupled frame apart to inspect the insides so the couplers always require a mid ride tightening.

The Crumpton also got a bit of a rebuild this spring and it's ready to go......

....so I feel like a child at Christmas.

:banana:

R3awak3n
05-22-2020, 04:54 PM
I was surprised at how big my chorus 12 derailleurs were next to record 10 but I was equally surprised at how light they were given the size. I don’t weigh them, but my brain expected more.

Someday, I may update to a disc frame and Paul’s but for now, it is canti brakes.

Chorus 12, Paul brakes, Rolf wheels and a wound up fork is a bike I built in my head last week.

skip the Pauls and go hydro... campy hydro is FANTASTIC, imo the best system of the 3.

ibis
05-22-2020, 04:57 PM
Is that the Paul IS adapter mount on the fork? Did you use the same on the rear? I'm interested in seeing how you think of the Klampers because I am thinking of this route for mine and my wife's next builds.

pooneej
05-22-2020, 06:15 PM
Wow - really beautiful.
And holy: what camera / phone took those pics. or are you a photographer.
very very nice pics.

thirdgenbird
05-22-2020, 07:52 PM
skip the Pauls and go hydro... campy hydro is FANTASTIC, imo the best system of the 3.

While I know that, I’m just not ready to cross into hydraulic or electrical components. I enjoy the simplicity of cable systems. I will get there. Someday.

robertbb
05-22-2020, 09:12 PM
Just finished rebuilding one of our tandems......Chorus 12 (alas ultegra fd),

Ultegra front derailleur works with Chorus 12?

Would it work with other Campy groups... 11 speed C/R/SR or Potenza?

oldpotatoe
05-23-2020, 06:52 AM
Ultegra front derailleur works with Chorus 12?

Would it work with other Campy groups... 11 speed C/R/SR or Potenza?

Campagnolo SR/Record and Chorus LH shifter is STILL a ratcheting friction, has been since 1991/2..SO, yes, not positional like the 2 's' groups. So the above 3 groups WILL work with any front der. Even if you shame the bike with a 's' group front der...:eek:

NOT power shift LH lever tho..2007/8 Centair and below, 2011 Athena, Centaur, Veloce, Potenza..but UltraShift.

AND, I will mention again...want the very best mechanical group 'out there' right now? AND get 12s to boot? AND not need a new hub or rear wheel?
Campagnolo 12s Chprus is really hard to beat.

zap
05-23-2020, 08:03 AM
Re front derailleur. The Chorus 12 front derailleur is sitting on the bike work table. Even with the special front FSA tandem derailleur clamp (places derailleur out 6mm), the Chorus front derailleur does not have enough sweep outward.

Shame.

The Ultegra 6800 derailleur that I had sitting around has more than enough sweep and works well.

I want to note that CoMotion has been great with helping me through this issue and going above and beyond with supplying us with a proper derailleur clamp.

zap
05-23-2020, 08:06 AM
Is that the Paul IS adapter mount on the fork? Did you use the same on the rear?.

Not Paul adapters...I used what was already on there...had BB7's.

zap
05-23-2020, 08:09 AM
Wow - really beautiful.
And holy: what camera / phone took those pics. or are you a photographer.
very very nice pics.

Thanks. I took the photos using my Samsung S7. My wife is the photographer in this family. Some of her pictures are on this forum....a Bedford gravel bike and my Crumpton.

Smitty2k1
05-23-2020, 09:53 AM
Not Paul adapters...I used what was already on there...had BB7's.

What are those rotors? How do you like the Paul's compared to the BB7s?

zap
05-23-2020, 11:39 AM
Shimano Icetech 203 rotors from 2012.

The Paul calipers work well and are easier (than bb7) to setup with Campy shifters....using Paul Campy lever arm. Paul's have a greater margin to play with than BB7's.....that alone is worth the extra cost of the Paul's as the BB7s were a pain to adjust properly with Campy levers.

Im sure cable routing has a bit to do with increased performance over the BB7's as I eliminated all cable adjusters that the bike originally came with.

zap
05-31-2020, 04:49 PM
More miles with Chorus 12 and the Paul brakes on this tandem.

I'm impressed. The rear brakes alone now stop the tandem if I want. Not on a dime.....but far from the long slide to slow of the previous brakes.

The Chorus 12 shifting in the rear....very very nice. From adjusting the derailleurs on the work stand to the road-to date no additional adjustment was needed. Perfect shifts.

Still getting used to the 11-34 cassette....mostly stay in the big ring on moderately hilly rides. With the 50 big ring we spin out at 37mph...a bit low for a tandem so might look at SRAMs 10-something cassette (w new wheels) so we can pedal up to 40-42mph.