PDA

View Full Version : OT: Chicago USPS/customs delay

thirdgenbird
05-22-2020, 12:15 PM
Has anyone had a package go through Chicago customs recently?

I totally expect delays, but my package cleared customs on the 2nd and has not been physically scanned back into the USPS system since. I talked to two local employees and one in Chicago. All said they would expect delays going into and during customs, but were surprised by no movement after being released.

USPS advised that an insurance claim is filed. The seller said he “fulfilled his responsibility” by brining it to the post office and it is now my problem. USPS will not allow me to make a claim because the contract is between the shipper and carrier, not me.

Any recent first hand experience would be great. I am trying to determine the probability of this actually showing up.

ColonelJLloyd
05-22-2020, 12:22 PM
I had a package tracked that said it arrived 5/6 in Chicago customs and was outbound later that day. On 5/8 it was in Los Angeles (wrong direction) where it fell off the radar for a week before tracking pinged it again. I received it 5/18.

thirdgenbird
05-22-2020, 12:29 PM
Thanks. That matches what USPS tells me. Thry said it should be scanned back into their system right after it cleared customs but this has not happened.

I had another package go though NY customs that bounced around the wrong direction for a week+ before arriving but it was at least accounted for.

charliedid
05-22-2020, 12:41 PM
I have....no. problem at all. Europe to Chicago in four day to my home.

Edit: I take that back it went through Cincinnati customs before being delivered to Chicago

thirdgenbird
05-22-2020, 12:57 PM
I looked and both of my NY packages were two days from custom to showing back up in the system. Both saw minor delays from NY to IA, but again, they at least showed info. I’m 20+ days with no scan.

The lady in Chicago was actually pretty refreshing to talk to despite the bad news. Her guess was poor packaging that didn’t survive. Her advice was to fill out a claim ASAP.

tuscanyswe
05-22-2020, 01:25 PM
I have shipped a lot of items lately from europe to usa and about half of them have been very delayed. Like 2 weeks and not moving in the same place. I think it was chicago as well for at least one package. All delivered with usps.

I have experienced delays shipments to other parts of europe as well. Some even list corona as a reason for delays in the tracking.

thirdgenbird
05-22-2020, 02:09 PM
In all, the package is over a month past it’s the expected delivery date.

I thought it was odd that every postal employee has the same reaction. They start giving me a standard “delivery delay” message, they have a shocked/confused expression when they run the number, they claim it’s never been physically scanned into their system, and the recommend filing a claim.

choke
05-22-2020, 02:19 PM
I don't have any experience with Chicago but I've certainly seen items leave customs and not get scanned.

As for the long delay, you just never know. This was an item that I ordered a few months ago...

December 16, 2019, 7:44 pm
Acceptance
FINLAND

December 17, 2019, 5:41 am
Processed Through Facility
HELSINKI, FINLAND

January 24, 2020, 1:30 am
ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)

Who knows where it was for over a month?

thirdgenbird
05-22-2020, 02:33 PM
What happened after ISC NY?

that was the confusion here. USPS says the expect occasional delays prior to customs release but not after.

false_Aest
05-22-2020, 02:33 PM
USPS sucks.

jtbadge
05-22-2020, 02:34 PM
USPS sucks.

Miles better than all of their private competitors.

choke
05-22-2020, 02:40 PM
What happened after ISC NY?

that was the confusion here. USPS says the expect occasional delays prior to customs release but not after.It finally made it to me. But it sat somewhere for over a month between the Helsinki and NYC scan. I was ready to give up on it but the seller kept saying 'I've seen that happen, just give it a bit more time'. Since I might not have been clear, my point was that sometimes they disappear for a long time but eventually reappear.

And as I said, more than once I've seen items not get scanned after customs. One that I remember was scanned in customs and then about 10 days later it was in my mailbox with zero scans in between.

C40_guy
05-22-2020, 03:05 PM
Just ordered a pair of trail running shoes from a UK shop. Selected expedited shipping for an extra $8, figured why not. :)

(Mizuno doesn't import the latest version of my favorite trail shoe, the Hayate 5. I've been in a pair of Hayate 3s for 2 years, figured it was time to replace them, and the Mizunos just work for me!)

Curious to see when they'll arrive in Boston, and if they get sidetracked along the way...

thirdgenbird
05-22-2020, 03:34 PM
And as I said, more than once I've seen items not get scanned after customs. One that I remember was scanned in customs and then about 10 days later it was in my mailbox with zero scans in between.

I’ve seen that in small items several times. Not 20+ days on a large priority package. Let’s hope it does surface soon. I’ve probably had 35+ packages in and out over the last two months and this is the only one that’s been delayed more than 3-4 days.

RoadWhale
05-22-2020, 06:23 PM
I have two packages from Merlin U.K. that ended up in Chicago on 10 May and haven't moved since. Meanwhile UPS notified me that I owe $42.00 "brokerage charge" for a Pinarello frame that arrived in the USA from Canada yesterday. No import duties, just a brokerage charge. At least that purchase seems to be rapidly moving through the shipping journey to my home.

thirdgenbird
05-22-2020, 07:35 PM
What is your tracking status on the ones stuck in Chicago?

charliedid
05-22-2020, 08:29 PM
USPS sucks.

I've literally never had a problem with them, ever.

thirdgenbird
05-22-2020, 08:35 PM
I’ve had several lost packages. All but one were eventually recovered. Two were delivered to the wrong address despite having properly addressed printed USPS shipping labels. One was randomly delivered locally. The recipient actually knew me and sorted it out. The other had to be recovered from another town in the same state. Again, both were properly addressed by the shipper with a computer generated USPS label.

Mike V
07-16-2020, 05:01 PM
Still waiting on this.

Your item has been processed through our facility in ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) at 3:14 pm on July 4, 2020.

thirdgenbird
07-16-2020, 05:04 PM
Still waiting on this.

Your item has been processed through our facility in ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) at 3:14 pm on July 4, 2020.

Based on my experience and other reports I’ve heard, you have another 2-4 weeks before the next scan.

Mike V
07-16-2020, 05:10 PM
As long as it gets here. Thanks for the insight.

thirdgenbird
07-16-2020, 05:17 PM
I had two packages come through. One was 29 days exactly between scans at your stage. I don’t recall the timing on the other but it was something like 10 weeks from door to door. I’ve got another that left Germany well over a month ago and has not surfaced stateside.

USPS has gotten me everything but the timelines and routes have been far from normal. Don’t be surprised if it randomly appears somewhere else or backtracks.

zmudshark
07-16-2020, 05:20 PM
USPS sucks.

No, the defunding of USPS sucks.

I had a box that I shipped to myself from AZ to MI that took 3.5 weeks. It arrived undamaged, but fell off the radar for weeks. The local Postmaster couldn't even track it.

My recent shipments via UPS have arrived on time.

unterhausen
07-16-2020, 06:18 PM
Apparently, USPS is not being allowed to use overtime. As if that makes any sense. I still haven't had any problems with them. I'm pretty sure the only packages ever that I haven't gotten from them were never shipped. That was back when they had implemented tracking, but they didn't make everyone use it.

dbh
07-16-2020, 06:46 PM
I had an international package sit at USPS in Chicago after clearing customs for two weeks before moving along to my home address. Sounds like a not uncommon occurance these days.

thirdgenbird
07-16-2020, 06:48 PM
I had an international package sit at USPS in Chicago after clearing customs for two weeks before moving along to my home address. Sounds like a not uncommon occurance these days.

Based on my experience, that’s uncommonly swift.

Unovis
07-17-2020, 12:47 AM
I've had some delays in receiving packages (mostly media mail, so it's to be expected) but they've always arrived. It took over two months to receive some handlebars from Japan, but that's because Japan PO sat on them.
I don't believe Germany is shipping to the US right now. At least that's what I read a little while back.
Also, if you want a bit if insight on the current situation at the USPS and the new Postmaster General here's a Twitter thread about it:
https://mobile.twitter.com/DingusJMcGee/status/1282435701737287680

alancw3
07-17-2020, 03:33 AM
Based on my experience and other reports I’ve heard, you have another 2-4 weeks before the next scan.

Yup! package arrived at ISC Chicago on 6/4/20, next scan 7/7/20. this after it had already cleared customs.

Mike V
07-23-2020, 12:52 AM
Package showed up yesterday.

Plum Hill
07-23-2020, 09:36 AM
An acquaintance is having a terrible time with ISC in Chicago.

Inbound Into Customs
Your item is being processed by United States Customs.

April 25, 2020, 12:26 am
ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)

He still doesn’t have the package. He can drive to Chicago in six hours. Value of €720.
I’m not sure if it’s the inadequacies of the USPS or inadequacies of USPS caused by someone’s personal vendetta against Amazon and Jeff Bezos. Either way, unacceptable for the “greatest country in the world”.

coreyaugustus
07-23-2020, 10:02 AM
Has anyone had a package go through Chicago customs recently?

I totally expect delays, but my package cleared customs on the 2nd and has not been physically scanned back into the USPS system since. I talked to two local employees and one in Chicago. All said they would expect delays going into and during customs, but were surprised by no movement after being released.

USPS advised that an insurance claim is filed. The seller said he “fulfilled his responsibility” by brining it to the post office and it is now my problem. USPS will not allow me to make a claim because the contract is between the shipper and carrier, not me.

Any recent first hand experience would be great. I am trying to determine the probability of this actually showing up.

Same thing happened to a package I ordered from Merlin. Took 6 weeks, 5 of which were a delay in Chicago. The package was never updated in the USPS tracking system post-customs; just magically appeared at my door one day. You'll probably get yours... eventually.

Miles better than all of their private competitors.

I've had good luck with DHL for shipments from Europe. They come via the Cincinnati gateway and go right back to a DHL courier, no underfunded USPS involved.

Plum Hill
07-23-2020, 01:21 PM
I've had good luck with DHL for shipments from Europe. They come via the Cincinnati gateway and go right back to a DHL courier, no underfunded USPS involved.

Experience mentioned in post #30 was shipped from Germany via DHL.
Came into Chicago. Addressee lives in southern Illinois so destination may dictate gateway.

Velocipede
07-23-2020, 01:27 PM
I have a couple stems for people stuck in customs jail. They even called about it but it's still stranded. Ready to drive over there if I have too!