PDA

View Full Version : Frank's new book

ergott
01-22-2007, 09:06 AM
Oh, heck, I'll bite. Anyone interested in what this guy has to say. He promises to lay it all out there. My ears are peaked. If he spills his guts, I hope it doesn't just sound like a whining has-been. I still don't know what to make of him.

J.Greene
01-22-2007, 09:14 AM
Oh, heck, I'll bite. Anyone interested in what this guy has to say. He promises to lay it all out there. My ears are peaked. If he spills his guts, I hope it doesn't just sound like a whining has-been. I still don't know what to make of him.

I'm interrsted...The guy is at the end of the tracks so i'm not sure how credible he'll be. I think it's safe to assume he could expose everyone.

JG

fiamme red
01-22-2007, 09:16 AM
Frank Deford? Frank Costanza? Frank Thomas? Barney Frank?

don'TreadOnMe
01-22-2007, 09:23 AM
vdb

obtuse
01-22-2007, 09:42 AM

he's going to do fine this year. aqua e sapone is the right place.

obtuse

LegendRider
01-22-2007, 10:19 AM

obtuse

What does that mean? Win Liege again? Simply finish races? Stay with the same team for a complete season?

J.Greene
01-22-2007, 10:22 AM
What does that mean? Win Liege again? Simply finish races? Stay with the same team for a complete season?

If he races under his own name all season it will be an improvement over last year.

JG

Climb01742
01-22-2007, 10:26 AM
i'm curious about his motivation to write a book. if he admits to drug use, wouldn't that endanger his contract, and his ability to ride/race this season? and if he doesn't admit to drug use (and name names), who would buy/read it? if he does admit drug use and names names, has he calculated he could make more from the book than he could from racing again? idle mid-winter navel-gazing. ;)

fiamme red
01-22-2007, 10:30 AM

obtuseReally? Why is Acqua e Sapone so frucking awesome? (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=14917&highlight=unibet)

obtuse
01-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Really? Why is Acqua e Sapone so frucking awesome? (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=14917&highlight=unibet)

unibet had a good year last year. what is your point?

obtuse

fiamme red
01-22-2007, 11:02 AM
unibet had a good year last year. what is your point?

obtuseTruthfully, I didn't really have a point, I was just making a joke.

But I don't think that VdB will hit it off with AeS, any more than he did with Fassa Bortolo or Unibet, though I'm not surprised that they signed him. At least he's a guarantee of publicity.

72gmc
01-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Regardless of how much of it is true, or revelatory, or not, I wish the guy would find something else to do that gives him a shot at positive accomplishments for himself. I don't think cycling is a healthy choice for him anymore.

fstrthnu
01-22-2007, 11:50 AM
Regardless of how much of it is true, or revelatory, or not, I wish the guy would find something else to do that gives him a shot at positive accomplishments for himself. I don't think cycling is a healthy choice for him anymore.

Really? I would think cycling is his ONLY choice. Personally, I would love to see him racing at the front again.

Justin

LegendRider
01-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Really? I would think cycling is his ONLY choice. Personally, I would love to see him racing at the front again.

Justin

Why? Given that you're so adamently anti-doping (a good thing), why would want an unrepentent doper (IMHO) at the front?

72gmc
01-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Justin, I don't know anything about pro cycling except what I read. I simply see a guy who, by his own faults and the faults of others, has turned legendary expectations into a cycle of near-legendary disappointments that he can't seem to break out of.

I would love to see the guy turn it around. But unless he's like so many athletes who don't develop themselves in any way save for their sporting skills, I also wonder if a new life away from his "legend" might not be better for him.

J.Greene
01-22-2007, 12:16 PM

Justin

I would too. He is obviously extreemly talented, and if he were at the front again it might mean he's gotten control of his personal/health problems.

JG

stevep
01-22-2007, 02:01 PM
vdb cracked 4 years ago.
he will never again race with any success.
obtuce, you used the same quote 12 months ago.
no recycled predictions.
i predict the same prediction from you in another 12 months.
at least change the wording...
forum commitee against plagiarism...
still plagiarism even if you quote yourself.
( by commitee rules )

fstrthnu
01-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Why? Given that you're so adamently anti-doping (a good thing), why would want an unrepentent doper (IMHO) at the front?

It does not matter to me who dopes and who doesn't. Sure it's fun to make jokes about this and that but I really don't care. I don't dope, end of story.

I just think it would be great for VDB to win a race, even a small race, because I think it would make him happy after all the problems he has been through and put himself through.

His book should be interesting. Obtuse, you better interpret this thing for us if it is only in Flemish.

Justin

Redturbo
01-22-2007, 07:29 PM
Acqua Sapone has cool bikes

http://www.cyclingnews.com/newsphotos.php?id=/photos/2007/news/jan07/acqua_presented/fsAcqua003

Grant McLean
01-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Acqua Sapone has cool bikes

http://www.cyclingnews.com/newsphotos.php?id=/photos/2007/news/jan07/acqua_presented/fsAcqua003

and they should always be clean!

:)

g

catulle
01-22-2007, 08:33 PM
Justin

Obtuse also reads from the Red Book, atmo... :eek:

obtuse
01-22-2007, 09:14 PM
It does not matter to me who dopes and who doesn't. Sure it's fun to make jokes about this and that but I really don't care. I don't dope, end of story.

I just think it would be great for VDB to win a race, even a small race, because I think it would make him happy after all the problems he has been through and put himself through.

His book should be interesting. Obtuse, you better interpret this thing for us if it is only in Flemish.

Justin

hey he won a kermesse in zwevegem last year....he's in northern italy; so sara must be happy 'cause she's home and he spent last year racing amateur there under an assumed name...he's as happy as he's going to get but i'm starting the pool now. who by the end of the year will have more uci points....
vdb or fstrthnu? :)

50/50 odds right now but we haven't seen justin's new bikes yet.

obtuse

stevep
01-23-2007, 06:00 AM
hey he won a kermesse in zwevegem last year....he's in northern italy; so sara must be happy 'cause she's home and he spent last year racing amateur there under an assumed name...he's as happy as he's going to get but i'm starting the pool now. who by the end of the year will have more uci points....

obtuse

ill lay $$$ that fstrthnu will be fstrthnhim.

$5 obtuce. save the file.
justin. if you dont beat that has been you will be fined $10 by the commitee that assigns blame.
you doing tour of cal? georgia?
s

LegendRider
01-23-2007, 06:52 AM

obtuse

VDB - DeRosa
Spinelli - LeMond

Steelhead
01-23-2007, 07:57 AM
Below is from yesterday's Pez. This whole "everybody did it" attitude is a bunch of juvenile crap and worsens the already ugly cycling reputation, IMO. :)

VDB Admits? Nay.
It's been a hot minute since VDB last made the news, so of course that means that it's about time for him to return to le news. If you can't get results, you have to do something to stay in the limelight of celebrity bike racing, you know, threaten your wife with a shotgun, ride Italian gran fondo's with a fake license using Tom Boonen's picture, etc etc, and when all those stunts run their course: write your autobiography and title it: I Am Not God (but I'm pretty close) - he didn't actually write the paranthetical addition, but it's pretty close to a certainty that he does actually think something along the lines of: I Am God.

Anyhow, VDB releasing an autobio isn't all that big of news until his publisher, Borgerhoff & Lamberights, releases some choice quotes from the book and one of them happens to read: "EPO? Everyone did it. Me too. It is the truth, and it takes nothing away from my victories."
Apparently, the publishers just concocted this comment from thin air though, as this quote did "not belong to Frank Vandenbroucke," (it belonged to his dog like the drugs seized from his house: EPO, clenbuterol, and morphine) and was of course a great, big "misunderstanding."

This publicity stunt probably piqued your interest - so if you know some Dutch, get yer copy on the 5th of February.