PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with Paragon Machine Works?

Veloo
05-20-2020, 07:40 AM
I came across these Ti bolts in my search for some replacement hardware for Ritchey 4-axis stems.

Anyone purchase from Paragon Machine Works?

I've also heard that Ti isn't always as strong as steel when it comes to bolts. Incidents of shearing off. Is that still happening today or is that more of a 90's early 2000 quality issue?

https://www.paragonmachineworks.com/replaceable-parts/hardware/ms0052-titanium-shcs.html

David Kirk
05-20-2020, 07:43 AM
I can't speak about those bolts specifically but I can say that Paragon is top shelf.....they make good stuff and treat people well.

Highly recommended.

dave

Blown Reek
05-20-2020, 08:12 AM
Everyone here who has a custom bike probably has PMW parts that went in the construction of the bike. They're as legit as legit gets.

Edit: Just noticed that they have nice machined bubble blowers in the Accessories section.

ERK55
05-20-2020, 08:14 AM
Good company. I do recall ordering some headset spacers (sold individually) and the shipping was $$$.

kmc143
05-20-2020, 08:25 AM
I've purchased some titanium stuff from Paragon Machine Works before and there were no issues with my order.

FYI, some of the Ti frame builders source some of their parts from Paragon as well (ex. Ti BBs, headtubes, drops, etc).

I came across these Ti bolts in my search for some replacement hardware for Ritchey 4-axis stems.

Anyone purchase from Paragon Machine Works?

I've also heard that Ti isn't always as strong as steel when it comes to bolts. Incidents of shearing off. Is that still happening today or is that more of a 90's early 2000 quality issue?

https://www.paragonmachineworks.com/replaceable-parts/hardware/ms0052-titanium-shcs.html

Steve in SLO
05-20-2020, 09:10 AM
I bought this little beauty from them a couple of years ago, and if the machining on this is any indication, then I would have no reservations about any of their products.

pjbaz
05-20-2020, 09:11 AM
I bought a bottle opener from them at NAHBS Hartford, and they seemed cool :bike:

Honestly, their reputation is solid fo sho

kppolich
05-20-2020, 09:12 AM
Never worked with Paragon but the team at Pro-Bolt is second to none.
https://www.probolt-usa.com/titanium-socket-cap-m5-x-0-8mm-x-16mm-4.html

pjbaz
05-20-2020, 09:19 AM
I bought this little beauty from them a couple of years ago, and if the machining on this is any indication, then I would have no reservations about any of their products.

That's wicked nice. Mine is a much different style

SlowPokePete
05-20-2020, 09:29 AM
top shelf.

tippy-top...

SPP

Veloo
05-20-2020, 10:13 AM
Looks like those screws will be a touch too big in diameter to fit a 4-axis stem faceplate.

PaMtbRider
05-20-2020, 10:18 AM
I ordered a derailleur hanger from them last week and it arrived yesterday. A drama free experience.

kppolich
05-20-2020, 10:22 AM
Looks like those screws will be a touch too big in diameter to fit a 4-axis stem faceplate.

4 axis require a tapered head if i remember correctly.

Veloo
05-20-2020, 10:27 AM
The head is a tad under 8mm in diameter and Paragon replied to me saying their bolt heads are 8mm.

4 axis require a tapered head if i remember correctly.

Velocipede
05-20-2020, 10:34 AM

They are. They are slightly larger and they don't have the conical washers.

R3awak3n
05-20-2020, 10:50 AM
I have ti bolts on at least 3 stems and they have worked as expected. I would not hesitate on putting good ti bolts on a stem.

scoobydrew
05-20-2020, 12:27 PM
Everyone here who has a custom bike probably has PMW parts that went in the construction of the bike. They're as legit as legit gets.

+1

I outfit my bikes with their stainless steel barrel adjusters:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47934198241_f2318c59bf_b.jpg

Cat3roadracer
05-20-2020, 12:52 PM

Edit: Just noticed that they have nice machined bubble blowers in the Accessories section.

Bubble Blowers - Ha!

Dino SuegiĆ¹
05-20-2020, 09:22 PM
Ritchey 4-axis stems require tapered bolts.

Paragon and Pro-Bolt are both top-notch, never any problems.

Another very good vendor (who certainly sells titanium standard and tapered stem bolts, in black and silver) is Toronto Cycles. Also really excellent service/quality, but it looks like they are completely shut down still (Covid-19), so unfortunately ordering or even looking is not possible right now.

happycampyer
05-20-2020, 09:58 PM
+1

I outfit my bikes with their stainless steel barrel adjusters:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47934198241_f2318c59bf_b.jpgI believe that Mosaic uses PMW dropouts among other parts on their frames. Those cable stops look like they might be these:

https://www.paragonmachineworks.com/frame-building-parts/cable-stops-guides/cs0021-sti-ball-stop.html

Velocipede
05-20-2020, 11:29 PM
Ritchey 4-axis stems require tapered bolts.

Paragon and Pro-Bolt are both top-notch, never any problems.

Another very good vendor (who certainly sells titanium standard and tapered stem bolts, in black and silver) is Toronto Cycles. Also really excellent service/quality, but it looks like they are completely shut down still (Covid-19), so unfortunately ordering or even looking is not possible right now.

Toronto Cycles was also rethinking his business and if he wanted to continue. His father took ill and the son(Tom) wasn't even sure he wanted to continue. And he was only going to do one material, titanium.

Dino SuegiĆ¹
05-21-2020, 12:36 AM
Toronto Cycles was also rethinking his business and if he wanted to continue. His father took ill and the son(Tom) wasn't even sure he wanted to continue. And he was only going to do one material, titanium.
Yes.
I just didn't think it appropriate to post private family business on a public internet forum. The page on the TC website tells any potential customers all they would need to know, really.
Tom is a good chap, I hope he decides he can keep the business open.

pcxmbfj
05-21-2020, 06:56 AM
Dealt with them before the craziness and no problem.
Was able to convert rear to 142 thru axle after a couple of phone discussions. Website touts ti bolts being stronger which is questionable.

unterhausen
05-21-2020, 08:23 AM
I just ordered a dummy axle from them so I can finish my new gravel bike. Shipping was a bit pricey, but shipping costs are up and I really want them to keep going.

SlowPokePete
05-21-2020, 08:59 AM
My Ahearne has PMW dropouts.

The Black Sheep ti fork James made me has PMW dropouts, as well as a sweet tapered ti head tube made by them as well. Thru-axle for that fork by them, too.

Plus, I've got a t-shirt AND a bubble blower.

SPP

kiwisimon
05-21-2020, 06:10 PM
I ordered a derailleur hanger from them last week and it arrived yesterday. A drama free experience.

my experience too, prompt precise communication and shipping.

Bici-Sonora
05-21-2020, 08:44 PM
The head is a tad under 8mm in diameter and Paragon replied to me saying their bolt heads are 8mm.

You can buy the Ti stem bolts directly from Ritchey too:
https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/titanium-stem-bolt-set-replacement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GonaSovereign
06-15-2020, 08:42 PM
Paragon makes fantastic stuff and treat their customers well. Coco just did me a solid when a big business (FedEx) messed up and downloaded the problem to us.

Once again: spend your money with small businesses.

unterhausen
06-15-2020, 09:34 PM
Anyone ever used Paragon's notification system? I decided to go with one of their dropouts, and, OOS.