PDA

View Full Version : Eyeglass Case for Cycling

Peter P.
05-19-2020, 10:31 PM
I carry my prescription eyeglasses in a spring loaded clamshell case when I ride.

Today, while sprinting, the case slid out of my jersey pocket and landed on the pavement. I picked up the case and discovered the eyeglasses weren't in there!

Fortunately, they fell out onto the pavement without a scratch.

So I seek an eyeglass case that's a little more secure. I have one with a zipper closer, more suited for larger, cycling sunglasses like Oakley's, but I need something smaller yet secure.

Any suggestions?

dbnm
05-19-2020, 10:34 PM
This?
https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/rainproof-essentials-case-large/product/LEC05LRJET

Louis
05-19-2020, 11:21 PM
If your existing case is the basic clamshell like the image below, and your primary goal is to be sure that it stays closed, I'd just put a rubber band around it. Or, if you want a cycling-related solution, cut a cross-section off a bad inner tube and use that to keep the case closed.

https://m5x8q6q6.rocketcdn.me/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/best-glasses-case.jpg

Veloo
05-19-2020, 11:42 PM
Do you have a good relationship with your optician? Maybe they'd offer some options for free?

Here are mine: one that came with Oakley frames, the old style soft pouch with a velcro closure, clamshell and the screw style container that comes with the IC Berlin brand.

rustychisel
05-20-2020, 12:15 AM
The problem is that the case slipped out of your jersey, no?

A softcase may not slip out of the pocket so easily, or why not wrap a strip of velcro material around the case you have to hold it closed. Win and win.

pdmtong
05-20-2020, 12:37 AM
Glasses inside case
Case inside ziploc

Peter P.
05-20-2020, 04:55 AM
The case I have is like the one Louis pictured; fuzzy on the inside-fuzzy on the outside.

I guess either solution would solve my problem; keep it from slipping out of the jersey in the first place, or keep it closed when it falls out.

Or stop pretending I'm Mark Cavendish.

Thanks for the replies.

Veloo
05-20-2020, 05:00 AM
How about keeping it in one of those water bottle tool capsules?

Hellgate
05-20-2020, 07:07 AM
I leave my good glasses are home and bring a pair of readers from Walgreens. I use a leftover Oakley glasses bag to hold them, then tuck them in my jersey pocket.

A proper glasses case is too big and slick to stay in a pocket.

charliedid
05-20-2020, 07:37 AM
Yeah I'm with Hellgate on the slippery. if I don't have a tiny bar bag I wear magnetic readers around my neck or I put glasses in a wool sleeve designed for my iPone. Seems to grip well and no worry of ejection.

OtayBW
05-20-2020, 07:57 AM
I just need some readers that I carry in my jersey 'phone case'. For that application, these are pretty good:
https://www.thinoptics.com/headline/flashcard

djg21
05-20-2020, 12:24 PM
My cycling glasses are photo-chromatic and progressive so I can see at distance and still read my Garmin, and needn’t carry any additional glasses with me.

pdmtong
05-20-2020, 12:51 PM
i've never had anything eject from my jersey pocket - that said a different solution is to put the case in an old cycling sock - fold the top over and now you have friction surfaces inside and out

crownjewelwl
05-20-2020, 01:29 PM
i have a pile of oakley cases that zip shut

pm if you want one and i can throw in the mail

you can just treat me to a steamed cheeseburger when the lockdown is over

Peter P.
05-20-2020, 07:03 PM
No message.