PDA

View Full Version : “Bicycle Shortage” in U.S?

XXtwindad
05-19-2020, 06:43 PM
Sounds crazy on the face of it. A recent NYT article claimed that bicycles maybe the new “toilet paper.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/05/18/nyregion/bike-shortage-coronavirus.amp.html

A call to several Bay Area stores confirmed this. Stock is running really, really low. How to interpret this news? Does it portend a new era? Or will it go the way of the “Tiger King” if and when the Pandemic waves.

I’ve seen bicycles and pedestrians reign supreme over the auto on the streets near where I live, and I’m really diggin it.

batman1425
05-19-2020, 06:46 PM
We can't keep stuff in stock. Racks are bare. Selling stuff over the phone and still in boxes, sight unseen. Goes out as fast as it comes in.

zzy
05-19-2020, 06:53 PM
The shortage is at the distribution level. Just about every hybrid <$500 is long gone. Some major OEMs are taking over 3 weeks to ship what they have left. After Trump's tariffs, and now productions shut down in China, the situation isn't going to change any time soon.

peanutgallery
05-19-2020, 06:56 PM
Asia pulled the plug on production in mid January until recently

New bikes are 60 to 90 days out at the moment. It's a bubble in supply. We're about a week away from seeing Sworks Epics with baby seats Heading out into the world

peanutgallery
05-19-2020, 06:58 PM
Try like everything under a $k

Even haro, khs and jamis have nothing. It's crazy

The shortage is at the distribution level. Just about every hybrid <$500 is long gone. Some major OEMs are taking over 3 weeks to ship what they have left. After Trump's tariffs, and now productions shut down in China, the situation isn't going to change any time soon.

chuckroast
05-19-2020, 07:05 PM
The cheapo stuff is gone too. The Target we shop at hasn't had any bikes for weeks.

AngryScientist
05-19-2020, 07:08 PM
I sold a cheap tandem last week locally; listed for 100 bucks- mama mia - lots of responses.

Yea people want to ride bikes right now.

Not surprising. FYI Nintendo switch has been sold out for months also; lol

oliver1850
05-19-2020, 07:10 PM
I really should get some of the NOS Rocky Mountain hybrid frames that are clogging my attic down and get them built up.

mdeth1313
05-19-2020, 07:42 PM
maybe it's time to list my kids old 12 in dept store bike on CL

XXtwindad
05-19-2020, 07:55 PM
Any chance the Pandemic turns NYC into a version of the Netherlands? The subway is out and I don’t see private cars being the norm. It definitely could happen, right?

Not seeing it in SF. Too hilly. Perhaps if eBikes get a lot less pricey.

thirdgenbird
05-19-2020, 07:58 PM
I really should get some of the NOS Rocky Mountain hybrid frames that are clogging my attic down and get them built up.

Sounds like a great idea. Should be way better than a department store purchase. Sounds like a fun get together if that sorta thing was possible...

ToonaBP
05-19-2020, 08:14 PM
Most are looking for bikes in the $250-350 range. Since I got my Routt near the end of March, my modified and upgraded Topstone is collecting dust. But local offers have been less than what I have in the wheels. One guy said... I guess the upgrades mean more to you than they do to me... so I recently excluded the wheels so they can add there own cheap ones.

Gartenmeister
05-19-2020, 08:32 PM
We can't keep stuff in stock. Racks are bare. Selling stuff over the phone and still in boxes, sight unseen. Goes out as fast as it comes in.

This. We have customers calling from elsewhere in the country to purchase bikes, because they cannot find them locally. Shop has sold more e-bikes in the last 2 weeks than in the prior 2 years.

Hellgate
05-19-2020, 08:36 PM
Welcome to March. Austin shops have been slammed since the beginning.

Spdntrxi
05-19-2020, 09:09 PM
my LBS has more bikes in the rack for service then they have to sell.

vqdriver
05-19-2020, 09:18 PM
I'm caught in the crunch as the plan was to graduate both my kids to 26 from 24.
Anything kid size is gone. 26" is now almost exclusively the realm if tween bikes so choices were slim to begin with. Looks like a fall nbb

vqdriver
05-19-2020, 10:59 PM
BTW, if any trek or spec'd dealers here have a wahoo 26 or xxs rockhopper, I'm all ears.

oliver1850
05-20-2020, 02:38 AM
Sounds like a great idea. Should be way better than a department store purchase. Sounds like a fun get together if that sorta thing was possible...

The frames are actually pretty nice, (the last?) made in Canada. I've only built one so far, for a local commuter. Built it with a drop bar and Tiagra 3 x 9. He was happy with it and the LBS people told him they didn't have anything comparable for what it cost him.

Nice thought to get together to build bikes. I assume that you are working. If not, let me know.

zap
05-20-2020, 10:02 AM
Maybe a good time to sell my old Trek Fuel 100.....?

benb
05-20-2020, 10:06 AM
This is peak bike shop rush season anyway.. at least around here.

Late April/Early may the weather finally improves and anyone who is not super serious realizes they're out of shape and a bike ride would be fun. Pretty soon the bike shop is mobbed with people looking for low end bikes, buying stuff for the kid who outgrew their bike, waiting in a massive line for service to the 10 year old bike that got ignored for a few years, etc...

The whole "situation" this year where most fun activities are cancelled but cycling is not just stacked on top.

thirdgenbird
05-20-2020, 10:41 AM
Nice thought to get together to build bikes. I assume that you are working. If not, let me know.

Yeah, my days have actually gotten longer. We are required to use some PTO but I used that to sell off some parts and catch up on life outside work a bit. It’s back to being glued to a desk.

Velocipede
05-20-2020, 11:51 AM
It's not just bikes. Trainers, everyone is out of them. Small parts are starting to dwindle too.

benb
05-20-2020, 02:07 PM
It's not just bikes. Trainers, everyone is out of them. Small parts are starting to dwindle too.

Yah on the parts actually.

My kid crashed pretty bad about a week and a half ago in gravel and destroyed one of his V-brake pads. He has a Trek kid's bike and it has the non-cartridge style pads where you have to replace the entire post and re-toe/adjust the pad every time.

The shop didn't have any of the small pads Trek specced the bike with, his bike has 20" wheels and the only choice was a full size Jagwire pad. Luckily it works fine even though it's a good 15mm longer pad.

Non-cartridge post-style V-brake/Canti pads selling out at the LBS is not cause of avid cyclists with top of the line recent gear, that's for sure.

sjbraun
05-20-2020, 02:34 PM
There might be a problem with US distribution hubs. The Specialized Diverge I ordered last week would normally have come from a warehouse in CA, but its been closed due to Covid. Instead, my bike is coming from a Midwest warehouse, which delays things a bit. FYI, according to my shop, there were only three of the model I purchased left in the Midwest warehouse.

tuxbailey
05-20-2020, 02:37 PM
Not just bikes. In addition to Nintendo Switch, VR systems (outside of the Index) are hard to find too.

zzy
05-20-2020, 03:10 PM
There might be a problem with US distribution hubs. The Specialized Diverge I ordered last week would normally have come from a warehouse in CA, but its been closed due to Covid. Instead, my bike is coming from a Midwest warehouse, which delays things a bit. FYI, according to my shop, there were only three of the model I purchased left in the Midwest warehouse.

When I ordered mine, the second day they were available, there were only 5-6 in weird sizes across dozens of models/sizes/colors. Most weren't shipping until July/Aug. But they had the exact size/model/paint I wanted by some insane luck.

Clean39T
05-20-2020, 03:11 PM
It's not just bikes. Trainers, everyone is out of them. Small parts are starting to dwindle too.https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/182656/cycleops-the-hammer-bike-trainer

$799 plus an extra 20% off right now....

That's $630 for a totl smart trainer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

scoobydrew
05-20-2020, 03:17 PM
There's a local outdoors oriented chain that's now offering monthly bike rentals of the bikes in their fleet (usually rented out by tourists).

Kirk007
05-20-2020, 03:20 PM
luckily I ride the same size, more or less as Clean39T so my supply line is good:)

irideti
05-20-2020, 03:26 PM
Here is another good read about bicycle sales surge in the US

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-18/coronavirus-bicycle-sales-surge-in-america

A friend who owns a company makes bicycle components in Asia said many of his customers postponed orders for April/May delivery due to uncertainties in US and EU markets. This means many of new bike models will not arrive US mid-late summer.

denapista
05-20-2020, 03:27 PM
Tell me about it! I want a Crust Evasion and those things sell out like McDonald's mcRib sandwiches.

The Evasion Lite drops in a few weeks.

sjbraun
05-20-2020, 05:10 PM
When I ordered mine, the second day they were available, there were only 5-6 in weird sizes across dozens of models/sizes/colors. Most weren't shipping until July/Aug. But they had the exact size/model/paint I wanted by some insane luck.

I guess I got lucky, too. Ordered last Friday, expect delivery in Tucson in 7-10 days, size 56. Other shops quoted me time frames of 3-10 weeks, but the folks at FAirwheel Bikes know what they're doing.

sjbraun
05-20-2020, 05:57 PM

I guess I got lucky, too. Ordered last Friday, expect delivery in Tucson in 7-10 days, size 56. Other shops quoted me time frames of 3-10 weeks, but the folks at FAirwheel Bikes know what they're doing.

weisan
05-21-2020, 07:25 AM
Normally I wouldn't even bother but I decided to put this to the test by listing two cheapo mtb bikes that my kids have outgrown on Craigslist yesterday. I have received a ton of requests to come see it today. We will see who actually come forward and hand me cold cash...I wrote this on my listing."everyone maintain social distancing please, no fighting over toilet paper...er, I mean bikes. I accept only cash. Price is firm, non-negotiable. First come first serve "

thirdgenbird
05-21-2020, 09:17 AM
Does anyone know if there is a large Momentum (Giant) UX SS in brick red setting around a local shop? I’ve been looking for a simple flat bar belt drive 650b bike for quite a while. This checks the boxes perfectly at a very affordable price.

Latestart
05-21-2020, 10:24 AM
I went in to buy a park tool last weekend and saw 3 e-bikes sold while waiting for service; I think the *cheapest* was $2800.

I was/am missing the tool to remove a DA 7700 bottom bracket and the mech told me "no repairs for 4+ weeks, we are only doing new bike setups for now".

In a couple of years there will be many 2020 bikes 'lightly used' for sale in SF...

batman1425
05-21-2020, 11:07 AM
I'm wondering when the bubble will pop. Pretty much everyone that was even considering buying a bike in the next few years is buying one right now plus a lot of folks that weren't. This is great for business right now, but that level of demand won't continue. It's like we've seen a compression of a few years worth of sales into a few months. If that's the case, a low is coming. After the current demand is satisfied the sub $1k bike sales may plummet, and stay that way for a good long while. Particularly when the used bike market floods from folks that return to their usual activities/don't like the bike thing and many see their buying power for non essential goods drop. I'm already seeing friends and neighbors selling non-essential personal belongings to pay bills/rent.

The flip side is that the current boom will likely develop more enthusiasts after having good experiences with the bikes they are buying now, and they come back for a nicer bike in a year or two. I wonder how large that conversion will be compared to the one and done.

batman1425
05-21-2020, 11:11 AM
Does anyone know if there is a large Momentum (Giant) UX SS in brick red setting around a local shop? I’ve been looking for a simple flat bar belt drive 650b bike for quite a while. This checks the boxes perfectly at a very affordable price.

If you have a Giant shop near you, they should be able to look through the dealer network and see if there is one on a shelf somewhere. That said - most shops are not interested moving things within the dealer pool at this point given the demand in most places. If you find one, someone here could probably help facilitate in person though.

zap
05-21-2020, 11:18 AM
I went in to buy a park tool last weekend and saw 3 e-bikes sold while waiting for service; I think the *cheapest* was $2800.

I'm seeing more ebikes around.

Some are going freaking fast.......officials are going to have to separate cyclists and ebikers from accident stats.

weisan
05-21-2020, 11:25 AM
Normally I wouldn't even bother but I decided to put this to the test by listing two cheapo mtb bikes that my kids have outgrown on Craigslist yesterday. I have received a ton of requests to come see it today. We will see who actually come forward and hand me cold cash...I wrote this on my listing."everyone maintain social distancing please, no fighting over toilet paper...er, I mean bikes. I accept only cash. Price is firm, non-negotiable. First come first serve "

SOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSO LDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLD SOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSO LDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLD SOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSO LDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLD SOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSO LDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLD SOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSO LDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALL THE BIKES HAVE BEEN SOLD!

One guy even convinced me to sell my Giant XTC mtb that I wasn't planning on selling in the first place. I was hoping to keep one around just in case...but I guess it's been sitting in the garage for the last 2 years is enough proof that I won't be doing any mountain biking anytime soon. ;)

Johnnysmooth
05-21-2020, 11:28 AM
Been looking at possibly getting a cargo ebike, Yuba Spicy Curry to be exact to use around town for errands, shopping and the occasional commute in when I'm feeling too lazy to ride regular bike. In past I would have taken the T here in Boston on those "off-days", but not taking mass transit till vaccine widely available (another 12-18 months) and I'm not a big fan of driving.

Just found out this week, Yuba Spicy Curry completely sold-out.

Not sure if this is a mfg/distribution issue or simply demand. Likely a little of both.

batman1425
05-21-2020, 11:35 AM
Not sure if this is a mfg/distribution issue or simply demand. Likely a little of both.

Def. both. Warehouses are bare from the demand and mfg was on pause for a while. Only recently starting to turn back up. That said - even if there wasn't a mfg pause, production schedules wouldn't have been able to keep up with demand.

Stuff is getting sent out the second it lands and a lot of it sells before it is even out of the box at dealers.

Not just the entry and commuter stuff either. Carbon bikes are hard to find now too.

mtechnica
05-21-2020, 11:45 AM
There seem to be a good amt of bikes on CL? Or people don't want them cause many need tune ups?

thirdgenbird
05-21-2020, 11:46 AM
If you have a Giant shop near you, they should be able to look through the dealer network and see if there is one on a shelf somewhere. That said - most shops are not interested moving things within the dealer pool at this point given the demand in most places. If you find one, someone here could probably help facilitate in person though.

I can’t get anyone to reply to me. Not just giant shops. One shop won’t reply to emails and their phone had been busy for weeks, another shop (who has parts I paid for) won’t reply and they are only available by appointment. Another shop declined quoting me a price for a Campagnolo chorus groupset.

I’ve tried supporting local businesses as best I can but it has been a total failure. Online retailers have been very prompt and helpful.

Edit:
It would be a crime to not add that Velocipede has stepped in and picked up the slack. He got me Chorus 12 and some cable liner when the local shops were not able to. I also got very prompt replies and assistance. It’s great knowing there are good brick and mortar businesses left. I just wish one was local.

batman1425
05-21-2020, 12:16 PM
There seem to be a good amt of bikes on CL? Or people don't want them cause many need tune ups?

you average hybrid doesn't know what their size is or how to know if it is in good shape. That and month long repair cues make new the only option for lots of people.

kookmyers
05-21-2020, 12:55 PM
nevermind.

oliver1850
05-21-2020, 04:28 PM

Is this a discontinued model? I couldn't find it on the Giant site. Was going to call some local dealers but wanted to somewhat know what I was asking about. Giant does have a home delivery option on the web site but it may not cover discontinued models.

I have a fairly good sized NOS BBQ black frameset here that was made for a geared hub. Wouldn't work for belt drive but I'm pretty sure it has horizontal dropouts so would work fine as SS. I have new SS wheels and most parts to build but the wheels would be 700C. Honestly don't remember the intended wheel size of the frame or where I got it but it's probably another Rocky Mountain (no decals).

Hawker
05-21-2020, 04:34 PM
SOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSO LDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLD SOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSO LDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLD SOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSO LDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLD SOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSO LDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLD SOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSO LDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLDSOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One guy even convinced me to sell my Giant XTC mtb that I wasn't planning on selling in the first place. I was hoping to keep one around just in case...but I guess it's been sitting in the garage for the last 2 years is enough proof that I won't be doing any mountain biking anytime soon. ;)

Happy for you!! Wow...how crazy is this!!

thirdgenbird
05-21-2020, 04:39 PM
Is this a discontinued model? I couldn't find it on the Giant site. Was going to call some local dealers but wanted to somewhat know what I was asking about. Giant does have a home delivery option on the web site but it may not cover discontinued models.

I have a fairly good sized NOS BBQ black frameset here that was made for a geared hub. Wouldn't work for belt drive but I'm pretty sure it has horizontal dropouts so would work fine as SS. I have new SS wheels and most parts to build but the wheels would be 700C. Honestly don't remember the intended wheel size of the frame or where I got it but it's probably another Rocky Mountain (no decals).

It’s a current model but Momentum has a dedicated site:
https://www.momentum-biking.com/us/ux-ss

I would be open to the IGH version as well but it isn’t a need. The sub $500 version is exactly what I am looking for to ride to work and around town. It’s not really a huge rush as I am working from home, but it was an exciting find after a lengthy hunt. When I originally found it, they allowed you to search inventory and there were none in iowa but that option seems to be gone now. I’m guessing they couldn’t keep up and it now says “call dealer.”

Velocipede
05-21-2020, 09:28 PM
I can’t get anyone to reply to me. Not just giant shops. One shop won’t reply to emails and their phone had been busy for weeks, another shop (who has parts I paid for) won’t reply and they are only available by appointment. Another shop declined quoting me a price for a Campagnolo chorus groupset.

I’ve tried supporting local businesses as best I can but it has been a total failure. Online retailers have been very prompt and helpful.

Edit:
It would be a crime to not add that Velocipede has stepped in and picked up the slack. He got me Chorus 12 and some cable liner when the local shops were not able to. I also got very prompt replies and assistance. It’s great knowing there are good brick and mortar businesses left. I just wish one was local.

Thanks for the nice words. Not saying I don't want the business, but the "good shops" are few and far between now. It's pretty bad in some areas. And when you find the good ones, you're praying they stick around. I know right now shops are swamped and people are pissed cause they can't get a bike fixed right away. It's crazy. But we all need to give some good service out there.

oliver1850
05-22-2020, 12:33 AM
It’s a current model but Momentum has a dedicated site:
https://www.momentum-biking.com/us/ux-ss

I would be open to the IGH version as well but it isn’t a need. The sub $500 version is exactly what I am looking for to ride to work and around town. It’s not really a huge rush as I am working from home, but it was an exciting find after a lengthy hunt. When I originally found it, they allowed you to search inventory and there were none in iowa but that option seems to be gone now. I’m guessing they couldn’t keep up and it now says “call dealer.”

The site is telling me that all sizes in both colors are sold out, both SS and 3S.

On another topic, I don't get the marketing angle. Giant is the "name" brand, the dealer network appears to be exactly the same, so why pigeon-hole these bikes on a separate website?

thirdgenbird
05-22-2020, 12:47 AM
The note says the warehouse doesn’t have stock but local dealers may. It looks like they used to track dealer inventory but no longer do or temporary quit. It probably causes a lot of transfer requests that were tough to manage right now.

I don’t get the marketing angle either. I just know the bike ticks my boxes.
Alloy
Rack bosses
Belt drive
650b
Flat bar

I’ve got a Tubus rack, brooks bags, and a king cage waiting for one. I should have bought an extra bell during the spurcycle seconds sale.

It also frustrates me that they don’t show geometry charts. I’m guessing they assume their target audience won’t care, but they could at least bury it somewhere for someone who does.

oliver1850
05-22-2020, 12:57 AM
OK, I didn't see the note but will try to check with a couple of local dealers today. One for sure is very helpful.

Meant to mention relative to the marketing angle that when I searched for Momentum on the Giant site, I got nothing related to the brand. That's why I thought it might be a discontinued model. Wonder what the guys in charge of the websites are making. Guess they are selling them so they are golden.

Not interested in the other colors?

oldpotatoe
05-22-2020, 06:32 AM

I was/am missing the tool to remove a DA 7700 bottom bracket and the mech told me "no repairs for 4+ weeks, we are only doing new bike setups for now".

In a couple of years there will be many 2020 bikes 'lightly used' for sale in SF...

Less than that..I suspect early spring 2021...

No repairs for 4 weeks?..they need to look at their biz plan again..far better margin on repairs than new bikes..IMHO, do both and make a better margin..repair and taking a bike outtabox.

This just like toilet paper, chicken and beanie weenies...manufacturing and distribution is based on a certain 'sell thru' at the final destination(bike shop or online place.). .It's dangerous to rely on small margin but volume...if the inventory or volume goes down, you are in trouble..

Demand went thru the roof in a very short period of time so yup, shortages..And manufacturing is often at 100% capacity so can't really expand plus most manufacturer's see this as temporary(and it is)..They aren't going to sink a bunch of $ in new capacity when they see this as 'temporary'..

Remember, this whole gig has only lasted about 3 MONTHS..it will extend, this bike 'craze', until it starts to get cold and/or when people and kids get back to some sort of 'new normal', whatever that is. With an effective vaccine, I suspect next spring(2021) will look a lot like the spring of 2019..in terms of bike and beanie weenie, demand.

IMHO

Elefantino
05-22-2020, 07:14 AM
We get bike deliveries from our warehouse late Thursday. Customers have been lining up Friday morning to shop for those newly delivered bikes, but yesterday a couple of wily shoppers showed up shortly before closing, as the bikes were being offloaded from the van, and literally bought them before we had a chance to put them in the racks.

In sixth months to a year, or whenever (if ever?) the Covid-19 crisis abates, I have a feeling -- based on the customers I've seen -- Craigslist is going to blow up with bike resales.

I hope not, though.

oldpotatoe
05-22-2020, 07:18 AM
We get bike deliveries from our warehouse late Thursday. Customers have been lining up Friday morning to shop for those newly delivered bikes, but yesterday a couple of wily shoppers showed up shortly before closing, as the bikes were being offloaded from the van, and literally bought them before we had a chance to put them in the racks.

In sixth months to a year, or whenever (if ever?) the Covid-19 crisis abates, I have a feeling -- based on the customers I've seen -- Craigslist is going to blow up with bike resales.

I hope not, though.

It will, and not just bikes..Anything 'durable', bought by people either on a 'what if' worry or 'let's get one or 2 just cuz'..will then be dropped on various FS sites....Good for those willing to wait..good deals ahead...

buddybikes
05-22-2020, 07:34 AM
>>tool to remove a DA 7700 bottom bracket

Amazon get in 2 days two days: https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Compact-Crank-Puller/dp/B0028YUZSS/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=7700+bottom+bracket+tool&qid=1590150751&sr=8-2. and avoid Covid risk

Spdntrxi
05-22-2020, 08:09 AM
It will, and not just bikes..Anything 'durable', bought by people either on a 'what if' worry or 'let's get one or 2 just cuz'..will then be dropped on various FS sites....Good for those willing to wait..good deals ahead...

hoping for it.. I'll be looking for an e-mtb or e-gravel

happycampyer
05-23-2020, 01:36 PM
I called a couple of local LBSs looking for a part as a long shot, which none of them had (or probably would have had, pandemic or no). I chatted briefly with reach shop. I commented that it’s crazy how busy bike shops have been, with pretty much all bikes selling out. The reply from the first shop was, “Yeah, the only thing we have left are high-end road bikes.” The other shop said basically the same thing. I should’ve asked if they were rim or disc brakes...

buddybikes
05-23-2020, 02:07 PM
Remember = China and Asia generally shut down hard. The stuff isn't being brought over.

Lewdvig
05-23-2020, 03:22 PM
Bought a bike for my son and we went to every shop in Calgary (we have lots) and bought the first one that fit. I've never seen bike shops so empty of inventory!

I buy a lot of bikes and know my local shops. It's great to see them doing so well.

A few told me they are worried fo next year, not sure that I understand that. Surely there will be lots of service and upgrades for all these bikes going out the door.

batman1425
05-23-2020, 07:07 PM
No repairs for 4 weeks?..they need to look at their biz plan again..far better margin on repairs than new bikes..IMHO, do both and make a better margin..repair and taking a bike outtabox.

Part of the problem for many shops is space and techs. Only so many hooks in the attic for repair bikes and only so many mechanics even working round the clock.

Lots of shops around here are just out of resources to (physical and personnel) to work any faster.

Elefantino
05-23-2020, 07:11 PM
Part of the problem for many shops is space and techs. Only so many hooks in the attic for repair bikes and only so many mechanics even working round the clock.

Lots of shops around here are just out of resources to (physical and personnel) to work any faster.
We are 3 weeks out on scheduled repairs but are in reality working a few days ahead because our shop has borrowed mechanics from others in the chain. We seem busier because we're between two bedroom communities and garages are being emptied of old bikes in record numbers.

We had 78 repair bikes in the store as of close today. And we're a smallish shop.

peanutgallery
05-23-2020, 07:12 PM
Exactly, you can only fix so many bikes that have been in the chicken coop for 30 years. Cheapo bike repair parts are now getting scarce. It is weird

oliver1850
05-23-2020, 11:53 PM
I talked to 10 or 12 bike shops in IL/IA on Friday. Several mentioned that they were down to 10 bikes or so after having 300 in stock a couple of months back. I talked to a guy at a shop in Rockford IL who told me that they have been getting calls from folks from all around the midwest and have had people drive from the Twin Cities (330 miles) to buy bikes.

thirdgenbird
05-23-2020, 11:55 PM
I’m still trying to sort out driving across the state to pick that thing up. Thanks again.

oliver1850
05-24-2020, 12:22 AM
Sounds like a rainy week ahead. If it's still around on a day when I can't do anything else I might be able to fetch it home.

thirdgenbird
05-24-2020, 12:25 AM
Sounds like a rainy week ahead. If it's still around on a day when I can't do anything else I might be able to fetch it home.

I will let you know.

Elefantino
05-24-2020, 09:06 AM
We will start the day today nothing cheap to sell: four $3k-$4k full suspensions, a $3.6k road bike, two $1.6k gravel bikes and a $900 hybrid.

And that's it.

We finally had to rope off the sold bikes and service bikes with crime scene tape because people were handling them and asking to buy them. Had a customer with a language barrier grab two sold kids bikes for his twin daughters and asked what we'd take to sell them to him!

peanutgallery
05-24-2020, 09:44 AM
Put a baby seat on those things and get them out of there:)

Similar boat

We will start the day today nothing cheap to sell: four $3k-$4k full suspensions, a $3.6k road bike, two $1.6k gravel bikes and a $900 hybrid.

And that's it.

We finally had to rope off the sold bikes and service bikes with crime scene tape because people were handling them and asking to buy them. Had a customer with a language barrier grab two sold kids bikes for his twin daughters and asked what we'd take to sell them to him!

weisan
05-29-2020, 07:08 PM

Made two people very happy yesterday and today.

vqdriver
05-29-2020, 07:26 PM
my kids had outgrown their 24s and altho i was planning on replacing them anyway, there was no sense in waiting for summer. lbs all over town are plumb out of anything between 20" wheels and $2000 bikes. kids bikes, it seems, were the first to go. choices were slim back at the end of march, and evaporated thru april. forget about may....
i really like buying from the lbs because i feel good inside and because i build anything for myself, i rarely get the chance to buy an actual complete bike unless it's for my kids.
i was on multiple waiting lists with trek, spec'd, c'dale, etc dealers and ultimately ended up ordering from chainreaction. between the time they sent me the 'back in stock' email and when i read it this morning, they were already down to the last one. no choice but to pull the trigger

kinda curious to see how this goes...

old fat man
05-29-2020, 08:23 PM
I went to LBS to get mtb gloves for my 10 yr old today. Looked like tornado had come through. Maybe 5 bikes left for sale, gloves ended up being women's model, and the showroom was littered with outdated customer bikes in for tune up or repair. Fellow cyclists who are furloughed are helping part time to keep up with demand for service.

Hope every LBS in the world has a banner year!

JAGI410
05-29-2020, 09:00 PM
Hope every LBS in the world has a banner year!

It'll likely be normal, because there won't be stuff to sell from June to September, so those lost months will balance things out.

oldpotatoe
05-30-2020, 07:19 AM
Made two people very happy yesterday and today.

:)

jlwdm
05-30-2020, 07:46 PM
I purchased my first road bike during the 1970s' bike boom from Greggs' Greenlake in Seattle. No bikes in stock. You had to put down a deposit and wait for the next ship to arrive. Two choices: Peugeot UO-8 and PX10; one color: white. That was back when a 10 speed had 10 speeds.

Since I was young then I road 100 miles the first day and 90 miles the second day even though I had not ridden a bike for quite a few years. Wake up with sore legs and just go out again.

Jeff

martinez
05-30-2020, 08:06 PM
I gotta say that seeing more bikes in the streets brings genuine happiness to my heart. I hope more cities become more bike friendly and people realize they can get around without burning gas :banana:

merlinmurph
05-31-2020, 08:40 AM
I purchased my first road bike during the 1970s' bike boom from Greggs' Greenlake in Seattle. No bikes in stock. You had to put down a deposit and wait for the next ship to arrive. Two choices: Peugeot UO-8 and PX10; one color: white. That was back when a 10 speed had 10 speeds.

Since I was young then I road 100 miles the first day and 90 miles the second day even though I had not ridden a bike for quite a few years. Wake up with sore legs and just go out again.

Jeff

Any idea how much that PX-10 cost?

jlwdm
05-31-2020, 08:49 AM
UO-8 was $99 and the PX 10 was maybe $110-115.

Jeff

Elefantino
06-02-2020, 07:36 AM
Interesting update yesterday. Specialized is strapped for cash.

It sent a letter to its dealer network changing the terms of payments on orders.

"We need your help by paying down your account to give us the needed cash to reinvest in the industry. Effective immediately we are changing to End of Month 1 on all orders."

Tip of the iceberg?

batman1425
06-02-2020, 07:48 AM

It sent a letter to its dealer network changing the terms of payments on orders.

"We need your help by paying down your account to give us the needed cash to reinvest in the industry. Effective immediately we are changing to End of Month 1 on all orders."

Tip of the iceberg?

I wonder what the mechanism is? Inventory so low that shops are not placing followup orders? Specialized trying to fill orders for bike they have not actually paid for themselves from their manufacturers?

ultraman6970
06-02-2020, 07:59 AM
I could be. Well they live out of credit aswell and sure their suppliers are asking for settle the accounts asap because they are short in cash too and some sure are ready to close shop if they havent closed and sold (short sale?) the whole debt to somebody else trying to make money with it.

Another reason to keep some stuff made locally, the interesting thing is that only spech is complaining? wonder when trek and cannondale will talk about it later on.

The pandemic clearly was a problem for everybody in any economic area, because all the stuff is linked to each other, the issue here is that now the looting is making the comeback even harder. A bike builder got his shop busted and poor man sure is questioning if coming back is possible or just moving on other stuff.

I do not know what to think in general (dont worry im always like that :P)

Hilltopwalters
08-07-2020, 04:03 PM

Tip of the iceberg?

Woah, now that's interesting. I've been keeping an eye on bike inventory roughly around the time this thread was initially started. As I understand it, many, many bike shops have made a killing in the last couple of months but in the coming months/rest of 2020 is when they will really begin to feel the hurt because inventory is so low and/or non-existent. Once small value items (low tier bikes and accessories are gone) all most shops have left are repairs.

I've had a few sources tell me that the back order for new bikes was anywhere from 10-20 weeks. I don't know how accurate that may or may not be, but that's not good.

jlwdm
08-07-2020, 04:15 PM
RBM the big player in the DFW market keeps advertising on the radio about more inventory coming in.

Jeff

unterhausen
08-07-2020, 04:58 PM
From what I'm hearing, there are going to be new bikes coming in this month or next. And then more later into fall. I'm sure bike shops are going to be happy about sitting on inventory over the winter. It's not too surprising that bike companies might be hurting, they didn't sell much more than usual. It's the bike shops that sold through their inventory somewhat unexpectedly.

peanutgallery
08-07-2020, 06:08 PM
Inventory available to dealers from specialized will be associated as to what tier dealer you are and if you play their "game" as it were. Orders get filled via the MBAs...and they can't do anything right. We have paid for backorders that we aren't receiving. All other brands are in similar straits. Thank the Gods that I have the market cornered for 7 speed grip shift

Normal bike inventory will not exist until mid/early summer next year, 2022 models. Until then it'll be a train wreck. Ride what you've got....or prepare to pay full retail. Crazy times

batman1425
08-07-2020, 06:29 PM
Woah, now that's interesting. I've been keeping an eye on bike inventory roughly around the time this thread was initially started. As I understand it, many, many bike shops have made a killing in the last couple of months but in the coming months/rest of 2020 is when they will really begin to feel the hurt because inventory is so low and/or non-existent. Once small value items (low tier bikes and accessories are gone) all most shops have left are repairs.

I've had a few sources tell me that the back order for new bikes was anywhere from 10-20 weeks. I don't know how accurate that may or may not be, but that's not good.

The shortages have been happening for months. Only high volume dealers with priority purchase agreements are getting bikes in regularly. Even then, limited sizes, numbers and colors and sporadic shipments. Many popular models and sizes are backordered till Feb-March 2021. Carbon road? Good luck. For most shops - service is the only thing keeping the lights on.

Accessories have evaporated too. Today we ran out of 700c tubes. We haven't had a 26" tube, tire, or replacement wheel in the shop for 6 weeks. 9sp parts? No way. No flat pedals of any kind from any of our distributors. Trunk racks? Nope. Availability for some things is slowly improving, but still poor across the board. None of this is going away until the demand starts to slow and the supply chain has a chance to catch up.

MikeD
08-07-2020, 06:51 PM
I imagine there's more risk of your bike getting stolen in these COVID times. Beware when leaving it unattended.

peanutgallery
08-07-2020, 06:51 PM
A few weeks back a distributor had like 50 26" tires at a far flung warehouse, I bought them all. Haven't sold this many 26" tires since the 90s. Noticed the 700c thing this week. Crazy stuff

Flat pedals? Good luck:)

The shortages have been happening for months. Only high volume dealers with priority purchase agreements are getting bikes in regularly. Even then, limited sizes, numbers and colors and sporadic shipments. Many popular models and sizes are backordered till Feb-March 2021. Carbon road? Good luck. For most shops - service is the only thing keeping the lights on.

Accessories have evaporated too. Today we ran out of 700c tubes. We haven't had a 26" tube, tire, or replacement wheel in the shop for 6 weeks. 9sp parts? No way. No flat pedals of any kind from any of our distributors. Trunk racks? Nope. Availability for some things is slowly improving, but still poor across the board. None of this is going away until the demand starts to slow and the supply chain has a chance to catch up.

happycampyer
08-07-2020, 07:12 PM
My LBS used to just toss the flat pedals that come with stock bikes, since they always install clipless pedals. When I saw that a while back I thought, “what a waste” and picked up a half dozen or so. I recently donated them to Recycle-a-Bicycle in Brooklyn. I wonder if the LBS still does that, or realizes that there’s demand for them? Will ask tomorrow.

weisan
08-07-2020, 07:15 PM

I have to padlock my garage.

torelli
08-07-2020, 07:32 PM
I work part time in a shop and we haven't had any flat bar bikes or kids bikes built and on the sales floor for months now. Down to 3 road bikes on the wall starting at 3K. It's nuts but people are just coming in now and buying whatever is left if it's somewhere in their price range and size. Same thing with parts and accessories. If you didn't know any better you might think we were going out of business because we hardly have any bikes on display now.

mtechnica
08-07-2020, 07:57 PM
I guess I’m not gonna find a specialized chisel anytime soon

joosttx
08-07-2020, 08:10 PM
Any chance the Pandemic turns NYC into a version of the Netherlands? The subway is out and I don’t see private cars being the norm. It definitely could happen, right?

Not seeing it in SF. Too hilly. Perhaps if eBikes get a lot less pricey.

Private cars aren't the norm in NYC, ever.

joosttx
08-07-2020, 08:11 PM
I can't get any softtop surfboards either.

https://catchsurf.com/collections/odysea

happycampyer
08-07-2020, 08:34 PM
Private cars aren't the norm in NYC, ever.

This is so true. It used to be that 50% of the cars on the road were cabs. Now the cab percentage is down, but when you look at the license plates of the other cars, at least half of those have livery license plates—Uber, Lyft, limo, etc.

joosttx
08-07-2020, 08:43 PM
This is so true. It used to be that 50% of the cars on the road were cabs. Now the cab percentage is down, but when you look at the license plates of the other cars, at least half of those have livery license plates—Uber, Lyft, limo, etc.

In a 2018 census report 45% of NYC'ers own a car. 27% used a vehicle to commute. In Manhattan we are looking at less than 25%. Compared to the rest of the US, I stand by my statement that cars are not the norm in NYC. I would assume the norm for most places in the US is more than one car per household.

https://edc.nyc/article/new-yorkers-and-their-cars

You are looking at the make up of cars on the road and not the cars within a population.

joosttx
08-07-2020, 08:47 PM
Commuting is out. Regardless if it is a car, bike or bus. People are moving out of the cities to Connecticut (NYC) or Marin (SF) and working from home. No one (get what Im saying here) is commuting. Therefore the commute with not be replaced by another form of commuting. At least in this pandemic paradigm.

happycampyer
08-07-2020, 09:02 PM
In a 2018 census report 45% of NYC'ers own a car. 27% used a vehicle to commute. In Manhattan we are looking at less than 25%. Compared to the rest of the US, I stand by my statement that cars are not the norm in NYC. I would assume the norm for most places in the US is more than one car per household.

https://edc.nyc/article/new-yorkers-and-their-cars

You are looking at the make up of cars on the road and not the cars within a population.NYers for the most part don’t own cars, but that doesn’t mean that NYers don’t use cars for transportation. The comment was that perhaps the pandemic will turn NYC into a version of the Netherlands. Just don’t see that ever happening, even with subway ridership way down. Cycling ridership is way up, but Uber, Lyft and other services (Zip cars, etc.) have taken over the streets. The latest craze has been a moped share program, although I heard on the news recently that the company has suspended its operation in the city after a couple of riders died in crashes.

Hilltopwalters
08-07-2020, 11:05 PM

Yep. There it is. Once accessories and small parts like that start to dry up, it's a strange path down a dark road. I've noticed local shops changing hours pretty sporadically and also having this exact same issue with a real lack of inventory. I wonder how much the initial cycling-boom can hold over for shops.

mtechnica
08-07-2020, 11:19 PM
Commuting is out. Regardless if it is a car, bike or bus. People are moving out of the cities to Connecticut (NYC) or Marin (SF) and working from home. No one (get what Im saying here) is commuting. Therefore the commute with not be replaced by another form of commuting. At least in this pandemic paradigm.

Commuting is so in though, have you driven through corona on the 91?

oldpotatoe
08-08-2020, 06:49 AM
Manufacturing is down(China, Taiwan, Covid)..throw in distribution issues, from China and Taiwan, along with rhetoric out of the WH..I doubt China is 'eager' to help the bike market in the US...

Mark McM
08-08-2020, 10:21 AM
High domestic demand for a product and a reduction in supply from foreign suppliers might ordinarily result in an increase in domestic production of that product. Have we seen any indication that domestic bicycle production has (or is expected to) increase?

pbarry
08-08-2020, 11:00 AM
Worksman seems to be doing well. :beer:

Hilltopwalters
08-08-2020, 11:26 AM
Manufacturing is down(China, Taiwan, Covid)..throw in distribution issues, from China and Taiwan, along with rhetoric out of the WH..I doubt China is 'eager' to help the bike market in the US...

Yeah, throw the tariffs on top of all that. I am curious if this will lead to more American production of bikes. I am doubtful but curious.

unterhausen
08-08-2020, 11:41 AM
I am curious if this will lead to more American production of bikes. I am doubtful but curious.
It's unlikely. Bikes and bike parts are generally made in factories that would cost many millions to replicate and years to build. I think it's only a blip in demand, and manufacturing will come back overseas faster than here.

dem
08-08-2020, 01:33 PM
High domestic demand for a product and a reduction in supply from foreign suppliers might ordinarily result in an increase in domestic production of that product. Have we seen any indication that domestic bicycle production has (or is expected to) increase?

An early example of the trade war was washing machines/dryers. So if it was going to happen, it probably would have with those. Several years later, no, there is no increased domestic production of note - you just pay twice as much for a washing machine now.

I doubt anything significant will happen with bicycles, but the price will probably continue to go up.

batman1425
08-08-2020, 07:11 PM

I'm not aware of any facilities in the US that can produce bikes at a scale (or price) that would make much of a dent in the consumer demand at this point. Certainly nothing on the scale of the Big 3's factories in Asia. It will take a lot of time to get infrastructure like that that on its feet in the US and IMO, people here won't be interested in paying what is costs to make (even a mass produced) bikes in the US. You still need to get the raw materials as well - which are largely from Asia.

I also think there is a healthy amount of fear from the big players in rushing to increase capacity/output. The boom we are seeing right now is almost certainly an outlier. Investing a lot of capital to increase production is a big risk if they miss the peak. The result might be a big outlay for production volume that never gets sold, or needs to be heavily discounted to sell. All depends on how fast they can mobilize their production capacity. Most are not equipped to respond to short term spikes.

weisan
08-08-2020, 07:19 PM
Shortage? What shortage??!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZDAFzDyHqzI/maxresdefault.jpg

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/photo/2018/03/bikes/b01_RTX3SB7P-1/original.jpg

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/thumbor/SKYySRIQP_GO3ZoByeiOfjMc4co=/900x573/media/img/photo/2018/03/bikes/b15_838255786/original.jpg

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/thumbor/-TYw2XTynfqBSGhxVpi80UGhRdc=/900x601/media/img/photo/2018/03/bikes/b02_904982860/original.jpg

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/thumbor/GGbdmlhTuggpCd3cm0knnNVE6Rc=/900x600/media/img/photo/2018/03/bikes/b14_809599572/original.jpg

unterhausen
08-08-2020, 07:43 PM
they could go into those piles of bikes and harvest some flat pedals

oldpotatoe
08-09-2020, 06:22 AM
Yeah, throw the tariffs on top of all that. I am curious if this will lead to more American production of bikes. I am doubtful but curious.

Doubt it...US labor/costs just too high compared to what an Asian country can do, even with reduced shipping costs. 164 days....:eek:

peanutgallery
08-09-2020, 07:08 AM
Grip shift, tubes etc:)

That stuff is like gold these days

they could go into those piles of bikes and harvest some flat pedals

Red Tornado
08-09-2020, 09:31 AM
Not just bikes, try buying tires online lately?

batman1425
08-09-2020, 09:31 AM
Grip shift, tubes etc:)

That stuff is like gold these days

I had a guy call the shop looking for shimano shifter cables. We were the 5th store he called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peanutgallery
08-09-2020, 09:58 AM
A week or 2 ago we were running low and it was quite a search. Bought all the bulk boxes they had left of slick stainless. Except for what I found, galvanized was the only thing available at many distributors. Absolutely no way that galvanized cables are going on a repair, I have standards and taste:)

Shipping costs for shops has been getting expensive during Covid because when they see something is actually available you just have to order it right then and not mess about... shipping be damned. I've had key items disappear from my cart as I was taking a hour or so to browse other parts and put a free shipping order together. It's literally the difference between getting something done and out the door or having a repair bike malinger and having the customer calling about it every day... increasingly frustrated etc, etc

Fun times, pretty sure most shops are ready for folks to actually go back to work vs this whole "working" from home thing. Lots of bumblers with ample free time these days getting their 1991 Trek 800 all tuned up. Hopefully it doesn't have SunTour:)

I had a guy call the shop looking for shimano shifter cables. We were the 5th store he called.

WNC rider
08-09-2020, 11:29 AM
I have standards and taste

Lots of bumblers with ample free time these days getting their 1991 Trek 800 all tuned up.

Wow, condescending attitude much?

Not everyone needs or wants the highest tech up to the minute, $3000+ plastic fantastic battery assisted bike.

So what if they are fixing up a 'lowly' older Trek 800? At least they are, or want to be out there riding, rather than sitting on the couch.

On that note, I recently sold a clean circa 1991 Trek 800 Antelope to an older gentleman, who was more than thrilled to get it. He was going to use it to ride around campgrounds and easier bike paths/trails with his wife, who had also just purchased a similar grade older bike. They were both really excited to get back onto bikes after not having ridden for years. More power to them. And no, it was all Shimano (except for the Suntour pedals).

unterhausen
08-09-2020, 11:33 AM

Not everyone needs or wants the highest tech up to the minute, $3000+ plastic fantastic battery assisted bike.
Quite a jump there, he was talking about galvanized cables, not plastic wonderbikes.

peanutgallery
08-09-2020, 11:45 AM
I won't put galvanized cables on any bike, consider it a favor:)

So what if they are fixing up a 'lowly' older Trek 800? At least they are, or want to be out there riding, rather than sitting on the couch.

On that note, I recently sold a clean circa 1991 Trek 800 Antelope to an older gentleman, who was more than thrilled to get it. He was going to use it to ride around campgrounds and easier bike paths/trails with his wife, who had also just purchased a similar grade older bike. They were both really excited to get back onto bikes after not having ridden for years. More power to them. And no, it was all Shimano (except for the Suntour pedals).

sfo1
08-11-2020, 02:56 PM
I've been waiting for some inventory to replenish; I am in need of two 27.5 hardtails. Was looking at the Fuse but a few other decent options out there; just nothing in stock. My boys picked the wrong summer to grow out of their 24's.

Any dealers w/inventory; ping me!

harzkristall
08-12-2020, 05:36 AM
Same here in Sweden. My oldest daughter has grown out of the 24" size range.
Tried to buy her a Woon Off 6. Delivery date soonest mid september.
Now her tiny bike features a vintage Syncros titanium seatpost to make it work a while longer...

buddybikes
08-12-2020, 06:44 AM

Thx - I ordered a spare derailleur cable today for my stock.

GregL
08-12-2020, 07:42 AM
This thread has provided good forewarning ahead of my family vacation next week. Instead of relying on a good LBS in the area we'll be staying, I'm going to bring typical service parts with me. Spare tires, extra tubes, cables, handlebar tape, etc... The typical things you would pick up (if needed) at a shop while traveling.

Greg

fiamme red
08-17-2020, 05:53 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/17/business/giant-bikes-coronavirus-shortage.html

"The pandemic has created a bicycle boom — and a shortage. Giant, the Taiwanese juggernaut, is trying to meet demand while navigating the politics of trade..."