PDA

View Full Version : Show me your top tube bags

Veloo
05-19-2020, 03:35 PM
Curious what brands/ models people are using and how you're using it.

I got the Lezyne Smart Energy Caddy. I wanted something waterproof that allowed touch screen access to the phone and space to connect to a battery bank. Got it from Merlin so it was a bit of a gamble not being able to touch it before buying.

The top sleeve JUST fits my iPhone 5S. Space inside is a bit tight for the battery bank that I have so I had to find some right angle cables.

It's not waterproof enough to dunk into a pool but should do fine with rain. Maybe even heavy rain.

It does hit my knees sometimes when out of the saddle.

Not that crazy about looking behind the head tube but since this has a pretty specific purpose, it will do.

I'm kind of regretting selling off the BBB BSB-17. It was narrow, easy to flip open and had a cable port. And now Merlin isn't carrying it.

BagelMaster
05-19-2020, 10:53 PM
I'm also interested in a top tube bag now that I'll be doing my long rides solo and with no stops. I mostly just want somethung low profile that I can fit some extra food in, maybe big enough for a phone, and that's about it. Most seem either bulky, ugly, or are out of stock/discontinued.

SlowPokePete
05-20-2020, 04:35 AM
I'm s big fan of bags from Oveja Negra...

https://www.ovejanegrabikepacking.com/collections/top-tube-bags

SPP

TheseGoTo11
05-20-2020, 08:02 AM
I'm s big fan of bags from Oveja Negra...

https://www.ovejanegrabikepacking.com/collections/top-tube-bags

SPP

+1 I have a large Snack Pack. Fits my iPhone SE, multitool, a few snacks, keys.

skouri1
05-20-2020, 09:17 AM
do you mount the large snack pack behind the stem or next to seat post ?
This is timely. I have a jand burrito style bag. It's fine, not always easiest to open access things while riding.
These style top tube "gas tanks" make a lot of sense for access/minor aero considerations.

SlowPokePete
05-20-2020, 09:30 AM
at the stem...they actually make one that goes at the seatpost too, it's a little smaller but I'm sure you could either one for either spot.

Their stuff is excellent quality btw...really cool folks, too

SPP

Toddykins
05-20-2020, 09:40 AM
I use a revelate mag tank occasionally. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but it tends to move around a lot. I vastly prefer carrying stuff in a stem caddy or front handelbar bag (I use and like both the outshell and roadrunner super burrito).

weiwentg
05-20-2020, 10:10 AM
I use a revelate mag tank occasionally. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but it tends to move around a lot. I vastly prefer carrying stuff in a stem caddy or front handelbar bag (I use and like both the outshell and roadrunner super burrito).

I was going to say that I prefer a handlebar bag as well. Top tube bags invariably hit My knees when I’m out of the saddle, plus when I stop and I’m straddling the top tube they will hit my groin. I do have a Parlee, and they have a bit of a hump near the stem, which makes them less ideal anyway. I have very few spacers under the stem, so perhaps things wouldn’t be so bad on a different bike.

I would definitely consider a stem caddy as well. My knee will probably contact the caddy when out of the saddle.

alessandro
05-20-2020, 01:27 PM
Another +1 for Oveja Negra. This is the Felt I rented in France last summer, with the Oveja Negra Bolt-On Snack Pack on top and the Apidura 4L racing frame pack below. (The seat bag was provided by the rental shop.)

Toddykins
05-20-2020, 03:05 PM
I was going to say that I prefer a handlebar bag as well. Top tube bags invariably hit My knees when I’m out of the saddle, plus when I stop and I’m straddling the top tube they will hit my groin. I do have a Parlee, and they have a bit of a hump near the stem, which makes them less ideal anyway. I have very few spacers under the stem, so perhaps things wouldn’t be so bad on a different bike.

I would definitely consider a stem caddy as well. My knee will probably contact the caddy when out of the saddle.

I get a bit of knee contact on stem caddies when out of the saddle, but its manageable and somehow less annoying than even the slightest contact with top tube bags. I would only use a top tube bag regularly if I had bolt mounts and could bolt on one of the semi rigid versions.

Agreed that handlebar bags are the best option. I used to carry stuff in my pockets because fashion but have gravitated towards using a bigger saddlebag on all rides and a handlebar bag when I want to carry more/my drone. The handlebar bag is so great for carrying extra stuff, I am kicking myself for not doing this sooner.

jpang922
05-20-2020, 06:40 PM
I use a top tube bag from Apidura on my commuter: https://www.apidura.com/shop/backcountry-top-tube-pack/

It’s minimalistic but big enough to hold keys, phone, wallet, bars, etc. Very narrow too so knee interference is minimal. Smooth one handed zipper operation.

However it’s *just* a bit too short to fit my mini pump (Lezyne pressure drive M, 23 cm measured) so I’m on the look for either a smaller pump or a longer bag.

Not sure if I want a burrito type bag just yet because 1) ease of access, 2) interference with out front computer/light mount, and 3) aaeerrooooo

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200520/e1d72941be084d0c4b8394290f354d3e.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200520/dcb94501050a5e92722fee7fc87413ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk