PDA

View Full Version : Question Re Stronglight Zicral Chainring

Ralph
05-18-2020, 03:32 PM
I've Got a 50 tooth Stronglight Zicral 135 BCD chainring in 7075 Aluminum. Nice cut ring....with generic ramps and pins. No designated size ring to be used on inside. Almost Chorus quality in finish.

It's designed to use with a Campy crank with one chain ring bolt behind the crank arm. I bought it to use on a 2006 Chorus crankset some time ago.

Now decided I'm going to put it on a Campy Centaur crank of that era where the chain ring bolt is not behind the arm.

Question....would you orient it slightly to the left...or right one hole....or 180 degrees from how it's designed to be used....(IE designed to be used with chain catcher pin behind crank arm). Not having a chain catcher pin not important to me when I shift it around.

Anyone studied this subject enough to determine if it really matters?

Velocipede
05-18-2020, 04:28 PM
Stronglight used to offer the rings with 2 holes. One for Campy hidden bolts and one for Shimano. The chain catcher pins were removable and you'd just move them to which you were using.

If it does not have the second hole, you could always drill and tap one. Personally, that's what I would do. Either for why bike or a customers. I've done it many times. And it will look the best.

Ralph
05-18-2020, 04:40 PM
Yes....the pin is removable. But where would you drill it? Either side or 180 degrees away?

Had a TA ring one time....and had the pin hole at the ring bolt hole for the hidden arm cranks....and another hole drilled 180 degrees away between holes for the regular 5 arm cranks. So it seemed to be designed for use with either type of crankset. (but the TA ring only had pins...no ramps)

Velocipede
05-18-2020, 04:52 PM
Yes....the pin is removable. But where would you drill it? Either side or 180 degrees away?

Had a TA ring one time....and had the pin hole at the ring bolt hole for the hidden arm cranks....and another hole drilled 180 degrees away between holes for the regular 5 arm cranks. So it seemed to be designed for use with either type of crankset. (but the TA ring only had pins...no ramps)

I usually drill them just to the left or right of the original. That way the graphics are still at the top of the cranks.

Ralph
05-18-2020, 05:26 PM
I usually drill them just to the left or right of the original. That way the graphics are still at the top of the cranks.

Thanks