PDA

View Full Version : Lines to get into bike stores

wc1934
05-18-2020, 02:30 PM
What is this world coming to - haha

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/18/nyregion/bike-shortage-coronavirus.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=New%20York

dbnm
05-18-2020, 02:34 PM
When COVID passes, craigslist is going to be awesome!

Elefantino
05-18-2020, 02:35 PM
We met our monthly sales goal on May 11.

Our chain has profit sharing.

Things are good if not exhausting at times!

Davist
05-18-2020, 02:52 PM
It's weird here (Bucks County, PA, suburban PHL) some are open, some are not, all are "following mandates". Plenty of confusion, I worry for the ones who aren't open..

fmradio516
05-18-2020, 03:14 PM

:hello:

But Facebook marketplace is the ringer. Seems like everyone uses that instead even though the interface makes NO sense and there is no organization whatsoever. I feel like they just list stuff at random and if you refresh the page, it all changes. I love craigslist..

Dired
05-18-2020, 03:26 PM
My local store sold out of everything under $1k, including all kids bikes.

robt57
05-18-2020, 03:35 PM
Cleaning out my 'extra' bikes may go better than expected...

ultraman6970
05-18-2020, 05:48 PM
This is not joke, here in the WOD trail im seeing more and more old ladies riding like 30+mph in electric bicycles. Thing honestly I do not like too much because if one of those suckers hit you or do something wrong they can harm somebody really bad due to weight.

godfrey1112000
05-18-2020, 05:51 PM

Keep an eye šŸ‘ on it :eek:

oddsaabs
05-18-2020, 06:14 PM
Our shop has been open but not allowing customers inside the store. We meet folks at a table set up just outside the front door for sales. All service comes in/out through the back door and gets washed before it gets worked on. So far everyone in the shop (about 20 of us) and our families have remained healthy and symptom free. We plan to continue this way for the foreseeable future.

Sales have been brisk and repairs are backed up over a week except for simple things like flats and such. Those we try and turn around same day, two at the most.

The really surprising thing thing has been new bike sales. Everything we can get our hands on is going out the door as fast as we can build them. This goes for kids bikes all the way to 3K and 4K e-bikes. It's all kinda nuts. We remind each other frequently to slow down, be safe, and wear our masks.

Niners55
05-18-2020, 06:54 PM
Went to my LBS just to grab a 1/8" chain and had to wait 20 mins for the people who were shopping for bikes for themselves, their kids, and doing the test rides and adjustments. Awesome to see but damn.

tuxbailey
05-18-2020, 08:09 PM
Performance Bikes met its demise too soon.

unterhausen
05-18-2020, 08:30 PM
I was just thinking about how horrible it has been for bike shops over the last couple of years and now there is a boom. Lots of shops have gone under.

fiamme red
05-18-2020, 08:34 PM
I don't know. I'm not seeing lines outside the bike shops in my Manhattan neighborhood.

Gsinill
05-18-2020, 08:36 PM
Asked my LBS whether they can ream a HT and face the crown of a fork for my first build with a 1 1/8 steerer since I have neither tool...
They sure can, if I am willing to wait since they are completely booked.

Good for them!

Brusselsprouts
05-18-2020, 08:45 PM
Have witnessed long lines in front of the local bike shop - have also heard that sales have been brisk.

Today, my coworkers (who are not cyclists) mentioned they're in the market for bikes. I'm positively excited that more people are being attracted to this amazing activity.

Dino SuegiĆ¹
05-18-2020, 08:56 PM
The bicycle shops I know are being:
a) very protective of staff and clients.
b) very responsible in limiting almost all access inside stores, and enforcing 6'+ minimum outside.
c) superb about demanding absolute compliance regarding distance, masks, respectful behavior.
d) experiencing good sales, able to keep their employees paid so far.

More power to them on all counts, especially considering the daily stress as well as all the extra work they have to do in terms of distancing, servicing outside, frequent cleaning, maintaining decorum, etc.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/images/icons/icon14.gif

At least they haven't lost their shirts, as many other businesses have. Customers can certainly wait a few more minutes in line, and maybe count their own lucky stars.

oldpotatoe
05-19-2020, 07:42 AM
This is not joke, here in the WOD trail im seeing more and more old ladies riding like 30+mph in electric bicycles. Thing honestly I do not like too much because if one of those suckers hit you or do something wrong they can harm somebody really bad due to weight.

Same here..got dusted off by some dude, going up a hill, on a MUP....whirring along, no pedaling..geez, thats a scooter, not an 'e bike'...

grateful
05-19-2020, 07:53 AM
Dropped my frameset off for a build, was told it will be a month before it is complete.

I need some tools.

josh_josh_josh
05-19-2020, 10:08 AM
word, lines are huge

maxim809
05-19-2020, 11:53 AM
I've noticed this for the past month as well. The pace is not slowing down, and I'm happy for the LBS's, both mom and pop and the chains.

I've been checking website that sell bikes online (which I always do regardless of pandemic or not) and their stocks have plunged dramatically with each week.

Civil engineers have started repaving all the bad roads in the last couple months.

All of this is awesome. Flood of used bike inventory to come in the near future.

martl
05-19-2020, 02:45 PM
What is this world coming to - haha

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/18/nyregion/bike-shortage-coronavirus.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=New%20York

Same in Munich. "the supply of spare tubes is running low" a bike shop owner said. "you wouldn't believe what kind of junk is pulled out of basements right now and brought to us to fix"

I gotta say at the thread title I thought it was referring to *spoken lines*, along the line of "tunes that get you kicked from a guitar shop" hehe

zlin
05-19-2020, 03:46 PM
All of this is awesome. Flood of used bike inventory to come in the near future.

Respectfully, I hope you are wrong about the used market and all of these folks pick up a new hobby with their family, a new way to get to work, long term enjoyment and use.

I gifted a bike to my neighbor last sat because he gave his to his daughter who outgrew hers and that one went down to their son. This week, heā€™s riding with them. I hope this surge keeps more people on bikes who will eventually advocate for more lanes, mups, and more awareness and maybe even road safety where we all win long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spdntrxi
05-19-2020, 03:49 PM
yes my LBS is like that... line to talk to somebody in the doorway actually.
Service by appt only.

I had to get some work on my TT bike, not in any kind of rush but first appt is June12th.. but then my bro says we will try to squeeze it in whenever.. so I left my bike there and said no rush...not like any races going on.

thegunner
05-19-2020, 04:44 PM
I don't know. I'm not seeing lines outside the bike shops in my Manhattan neighborhood.

yeah i live right next to conrads and i'm not seeing too much outside of normal service customers...

Mr B
05-19-2020, 05:08 PM
Guess it's a combination of factors - certain areas have emptied out, whilst other areas have people wanting to get out and ride with family, and other areas having a growing need for alternative means of commuting.
At this point I'd expect Brooklyn/Queens/Bronx bike shops to be a lot busier than Manhattan ones. Subway ridership is gonna be way down even when NYC is allowed to reopen.

maxim809
05-19-2020, 05:47 PM
Respectfully, I hope you are wrong about the used market and all of these folks pick up a new hobby with their family, a new way to get to work, long term enjoyment and use.

I gifted a bike to my neighbor last sat because he gave his to his daughter who outgrew hers and that one went down to their son. This week, heā€™s riding with them. I hope this surge keeps more people on bikes who will eventually advocate for more lanes, mups, and more awareness and maybe even road safety where we all win long term.

I'm with you! I anticipate there will be healthy mix of groups between: Those who discover they love it and keep with it (yay), and those who are transient (will be captured by Craigslist).

Tons of friends have been coming to me for advice, so that's been fun helping (or poisoning? muhahaha) them with their decisions.

I'm also hopeful that with enough critical mass and awareness, it will boost the chances of infrastructure and positive changes for cycling. If anything, I think it will make drivers who didn't bike before more aware and empathetic to cyclists after all this. So there will indirect positive influences like this, even if nothing else changes.

54ny77
05-19-2020, 06:44 PM
Yep I was quoted a month or so by an LBS to rebuild a wheel. Am fine with that of course, and happy to support em and frankly happy to hear they're booked a month out. That's awesome. Every penny counts.

oldpotatoe
05-20-2020, 06:17 AM
Yep I was quoted a month or so by an LBS to rebuild a wheel. Am fine with that of course, and happy to support em and frankly happy to hear they're booked a month out. That's awesome. Every penny counts.

Yee gads, send the hub to me..I can turn it around in way less than a month..even with shipping..:)