PDA

View Full Version : How Should I Rebuild This Rockhopper?

jwin
05-18-2020, 12:14 PM
Question for the paceliners, who know more about the taste and aesthetics of older bikes.

My girlfriend picked up this grocery-getter bike for pennies and it rides pretty slick, but the bike is in need of a major mechanical overhaul.

https://uc7acf2c63c88ed975774c90301a.previews.dropboxuserc ontent.com/p/thumb/AAwvB5KwvMh5t5z99t72fU2tL6fl9maK7WACnf9Q3V3u03CymJ vCu9NYcrodQmlvWznaQGABekd5Sn_Ja0WBdfCoVDmHfKGzi797 7E7i7qFBRv4cQAMaNQazOosWjgIkups7MJ16JMImNTCVFEdn-C9UlhtLlneqe2jhJrwzxUN4Aesn2jUnHlsx8TgGNGTx0Np9Q8y MhH73qAbA42fAHETIKHeIUSCADJEot1VcL18HKx7RB8ZYdjL5P oLfOu2XSdndK8rgRmzj4Mm1L0ayDoVd-tNEXfXZzOW95B-3Jq0XVNiQcjdDuw6m51P6WJy6WKDzvfvCort_4DR_UZdz7aceQ w8LB7jg6DyJ1fE7pmgUaO8R8yuZLy4rly-_BARFbi1edCNS10tldXu9Mtrh9Vl5/p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=3

It seems to have almost entirely original components - fully kitted out in Shimano Deore LX 7-Speed. Minus the handlebar and right shifter which has been replaced.

How should I rebuild this thing? I can clean and degrease everything, get new brake pads, and maybe even source a proper 7-speed shifter (it's got an 8-speed with a "ghost" shift right now).

Or, I could go full out and replace the whole groupset. There are so many cheap options out there. Though, I'm not sure the compatibility with the 7-speed driver.

What are your thoughts?

macaroon
05-18-2020, 12:23 PM
In my opinion, it's a bike that belongs in the past, so I'd feel it a waste to put new groupset components on it. Clean and repair everything you can, fit a regular stem/bar setup and go and ride.

AngryScientist
05-18-2020, 12:27 PM
those are really cool frames. what is the intended use?

me? i'd put dirt drops on it, bar end shifters and do crazy adventure rides on it!

jwin
05-18-2020, 12:29 PM
those are really cool frames. what is the intended use?

me? i'd put dirt drops on it, bar end shifters and do crazy adventure rides on it!

Intended use is mostly just riding around town, maybe a couple 30-40 mile gravel rides or a quick overnight bikepack. Maybe I'll convince her to do more in the future.

I think she wants to keep the flat bars for now, the bike also came with the original bars which is cool!

Jaybee
05-18-2020, 12:38 PM
I'd keep the original bars if they fit. The bull-moose design is too cool. If the cable routing allows, I'd source some old XT v-brakes and maybe a 9 speed group. And new tires, maybe something to fit the mostly road little bit of dirt intended usage.

jwin
05-18-2020, 12:50 PM
I'd keep the original bars if they fit. The bull-moose design is too cool. If the cable routing allows, I'd source some old XT v-brakes and maybe a 9 speed group. And new tires, maybe something to fit the mostly road little bit of dirt intended usage.

One thing I'm trying to figure out is what cassette I can fit on the rear hub driver? It's an FH-M550 Deore LX Hub. It sounds like I can do some jury-rigging to fit 8 sprockets of a 9-speed cassette or 9sprockets of a 10-speed cassette? That sounds like a chore though.

What would I look for on eBay to find the "era-matching" XT setup for this? That would be sweet, but I'm not familiar with any of the old groupsets.

p nut
05-18-2020, 01:00 PM

Agreed. Except I wouldn’t bother with 9-sp. Keep the 7-sp. replace the chain, and ride it.

Cheap Tektro or SRAM v brakes with salmon pads would be better, along with FR5 levers.

I wouldn’t spend money on a dropbar conversion either. Bull moose are sweet.

Should make a nice rider.

jwin
05-18-2020, 01:03 PM
Agreed. Except I wouldn’t bother with 9-sp. Keep the 7-sp. replace the chain, and ride it.

Cheap Tektro or SRAM v brakes would be better, along with FR5 levers.

I wouldn’t spend money on a dropbar conversion either. Bull moose are sweet.

Should make a nice rider.

Definitely keeping the bullmoose they are sweet. They need some refinishing, but I'm not sure that's really feasible and will be for another day.

In terms of the brakes, woud it be prescient to replace the whole assembly with a Tektro setup? The levers on the bike are not original and no good. I thought about trying to source a Deore LX setup for the levers, but it sounds like it might be cheaper and better to go to all Tektro?

Some advice here on those who are more familiar with Canti brakes would be awesome. I've never worked on them or used them before.

Pegoready
05-18-2020, 01:09 PM
I would guess everything on that bike works well and as it should, except the shifters which gum up. And tires and pads which as surely dry rotted.

I'd replace the shifters with bar top friction versions. You can go fancy but you could also get these generics for about $12:

https://velo-orange.com/products/falcon-friction-thumb-shifters

Tires I'd swap with some slicks like Continental Contact.

Like others have said that is a sweet bike but unless you have an endless parts bin it can become a money pit fast. I'd do the tires, pads, and shifters, give it a little sweat equity in a quick clean and chain lube and call it a day myself.

p nut
05-18-2020, 01:11 PM
Definitely keeping the bullmoose they are sweet. They need some refinishing, but I'm not sure that's really feasible and will be for another day.

In terms of the brakes, woud it be prescient to replace the whole assembly with a Tektro setup? The levers on the bike are not original and no good. I thought about trying to source a Deore LX setup for the levers, but it sounds like it might be cheaper and better to go to all Tektro?

Some advice here on those who are more familiar with Canti brakes would be awesome. I've never worked on them or used them before.

Best Canti brakes I’ve used was Avid Ultimates (but have not used Paul’s). But any v brake will deliver more power.

You may be able to get a good deal on XT or LX brakes, or Avid or Tektro. All are relatively cheap. Avid FR5 levers are something like $15 on eBay. Brakes can be had for $20 or so. And another $12-14 for Kool Stop pads.

Red Tornado
05-18-2020, 01:15 PM
in my opinion, it's a bike that belongs in the past, so i'd feel it a waste to put new groupset components on it. Clean and repair everything you can, fit a regular stem/bar setup and go and ride.

+1

jwin
05-18-2020, 01:15 PM
Best Canti brakes I’ve used was Avid Ultimates (but have not used Paul’s). But any v brake will deliver more power.

You may be able to get a good deal on XT or LX brakes, or Avid or Tektro. All are relatively cheap. Avid FR5 levers are something like $15 on eBay. Brakes can be had for $20 or so. And another $12-14 for Kool Stop pads.

Are the Kool-Stops essential regardless? I am looking at the Tektro CR720's which for $50 comes with a set with new pads, new cable carriers and cables. This bike needs everything but the actual calipers for sure, so this seems like a good deal off the bat.

oliver1850
05-18-2020, 01:42 PM
I would go with 7 speed thumbshifters if you can find some, SL-MT62 (DX) or SL-M732 (XT). I believe there was an LX model but I'm not sure of the model (SL_MT550/1/2 ?) The XT brake levers were models BL-M732 (4 finger) and BL-M733 (2 finger). The DX levers were models BL-MT62 (4 finger) and BL-MT63 (2 finger). Cantilever brakes were BR-M732 (XT), BR-M734 (XT super low profile), BR-MT62 (DX), BR-M651 (DX low profile), BR-M650 (DX super low profile), and BR-M550 (LX).

p nut
05-18-2020, 01:59 PM
Are the Kool-Stops essential regardless? I am looking at the Tektro CR720's which for $50 comes with a set with new pads, new cable carriers and cables. This bike needs everything but the actual calipers for sure, so this seems like a good deal off the bat.

Forget cantilever brakes. Go v brakes. And stock Tektro pads aren’t that great. New pads are cheap.

jwin
05-18-2020, 02:06 PM
Forget cantilever brakes. Go v brakes. And stock Tektro pads aren’t that great. New pads are cheap.

They're so ugly though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CMiller
05-18-2020, 02:41 PM

Bottom of the barrel Tektro + good pads is so good, I love their v-brakes for city bikes!

skitlets
05-18-2020, 02:54 PM

Same brakes. I run kool stops in the front only but it's definitely a big upgrade over the stock pads. The stock pads are garbage in the wet and felt dangerous.

ultraman6970
05-18-2020, 02:55 PM
I have a stock of those or almost 100% stock of those, and they are sweet rides. Mine has xts and dia compe brake levers and calipers (i think)

They had different grades in this model? maybe newer came with deore?

rwsaunders
05-18-2020, 02:57 PM
I found a similar bike two years ago and I just kept it stock and run fat tires on it. It sees mostly pathways when riding with my wife and aside from the "old skool" look, it's heavy as hell and makes you appreciate disc brakes and index shifting.

https://i.imgur.com/N3hwsNxh.jpg

RWL2222
05-18-2020, 03:46 PM
Sweet thread! I will be coming back to this over the summer as my son and I revamp a Trek 970 (steel) that he cobbled together at the community bike shop when he was 12, and a Trek 7000 (alum) that I bought new in 1990. The Trek 7000 will get restyled as a 'gravel' bike with drops and a bigger cassette. The 970 will get a bigger cassette and seat upgrade to be his college bike. I am interested in the line of discussion around putting updated drivetrains on these.

There are tons of other people out there in the same situation--lots of shed bikes out and about now.

Ken Robb
05-18-2020, 05:03 PM
I have a stock of those or almost 100% stock of those, and they are sweet rides. Mine has xts and dia compe brake levers and calipers (i think)

They had different grades in this model? maybe newer came with deore?

I think Rockhopper was a step below Stumpjumper in the line but I don't know how many differences there were between them.

Hellgate
05-18-2020, 07:25 PM
My first mountain bike was a Rockhopper Comp. I bought it when I was working at a shop in Phoenix in 1988. I rode that thing into the ground at Dreamy Draw Park. It was dead after 9 months.

Like: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=258783https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200519/cfcaeee47a0ecfd761d696f0956b68cc.jpg

RFC
05-18-2020, 07:37 PM
I love 90's MTBs. Here is a Russian "Titanium Red" that I turned into a very able gravel ginder.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49910962956_6c36fa46e1_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2j3sJq5)IMG_0101r (https://flic.kr/p/2j3sJq5) by Robert Copple (https://www.flickr.com/photos/161536771@N04/), on Flickr

jwin
05-23-2020, 01:21 AM
Just finished up the "restoration". Mostly a ton of cleaning parts in the ultrasonic bath and some new cables and housing.

https://previews.dropbox.com/p/thumb/AAy_IazymamCqYh2hrBOeSa3clRmtdORTDJdc7-Fa3XZDIhylTBPUtWLm4nlQQTR0lt4XXtgO69ZxrQEwBkGtIyIF gasmyxj23Uf5zj7142kNEG8gvio-R--pLrS2vqFItWZYMM2Yyp2RZo4R4Jc7ur2BYL2gIaIumnqjYSkpu STJCnhvhVKJ5vxRJDnlZ2Cxh4Hu0-zZP-MZm7kwVabYVDfCzVtCHtDl_nKGNoxYyQml9SUqly7Fvs6Hpp6_ ps01KV5l3RDDik07VySUS8gTtHUxTLU7-MlUgzAPt6l2pZ_8Ncq-8scX1M36q-Hm5AICGDZyJu6UZeN7EvtvGrXgWQk-jSG9ejN7Z7zY1w6WY6PfidKve8KZPkszsFomawKNAlccjk3Ivc eaVu98bvZGvf3t41dQyjVnFmIZ9H1wQfZCpWgLzFdZY-78yvF6WkEjUGgKLi_g0289t4SNHeBXejm-nwCff4WkBLOHa7xie6GuGXR7HJvyfUr4HPc7R9Fb_EFF4DsBmZ 35ltA89dK2pavpHyjk9SqCBJbMzQG178Yt3N_V7QmNacerkRbo MdThOkwgXMJFS-1uvdoM3i0EvQnIr2vFtNGpJtP4PW1Y5VoYwZuV_fBH9acV2E9d D-UzBT9YoE3au0TIqREZ9QPB4hZlPutcD9qMTTgvfkKkwFNyw/p.jpeg?size=1280x960&size_mode=3

Also went with V-Brakes. I think they need some KoolStop pads, perhaps the brake track is finished. Braking is much better, but nothing like disc.

Cy Trivialities
05-23-2020, 02:54 AM
I just sold this one. It became my most ridden bike of the last two years. It almost felt wrong.

Kept the original XT groupset. Except changed the shifters to 8spd friction, and albatross bars. Oh and took the squishy fork off for a surly 1x1 fork to mount rack.

https://i.imgur.com/xsvRTqIh.jpg

JLQ
05-23-2020, 06:27 AM
I recently got my hands on a 1988 Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo and have been having a blast on it. With beach cruiser tires and bars, it's so much fun. I've enjoyed bringing all the great old parts back to life as much as I've enjoyed riding it.