PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta questions

oldforester
01-21-2007, 05:06 PM
I have a Serotta Atlanta and have a couple of questions. Under the bb where the cables cross there is no plate to keep the cables from digging in to the metal. On my other Serotta there is a plastic plate that is held in place by a screw. Would it hurt to drill a small hole in the bottom of the bb and secure one of these plastic plates? The cables are starting to dig into the metal of the bb (only slightly).
Second ? is about the headset. It is a 1" threaded hs. I pulled the fork off and the bearings out but don't see any numbers on them. They have rubber bushings on them. Does anybody know what type of bearings these are? The hs is Shimanno and all of the other components are 600 variety. They need to be replaced as they have some rubbing in them. Thanks.

93legendti
01-21-2007, 05:14 PM
I have a Serotta Atlanta and have a couple of questions. Under the bb where the cables cross there is no plate to keep the cables from digging in to the metal...Thanks.

My Atlanta was like that. The LBS says that was how they were made back then.

Peter P.
01-21-2007, 05:53 PM
Relax; you won't wear through your BB without the cable guide. In fact, some bikes are specifically built with grooves in the BB to guide the cables.

However, if you would like to install a BB guide then you'll be pleased to know that it won't hurt anything if you drill the BB and tap the hole. Use an American size #19 or a metric 4.2mm drill for the pilot hole and an Metric 5x0.8mm tap (available through your LBS from Park Tool). The bolt may be sold separately, average length is 8mm. If you buy it long you can either file it down or shim it out with washers.

As a cheap alternative, you could merely remove the liner from some shifter housing and slip it over the cable so it sits at the BB. I doubt it will move on you.

See your local bike shop; they can order replacement bearings for your specific headset. Some cartridge sealed bearings aren't serviceable, or aren't worth the bother.