PDA

View Full Version : Tube repair kit

Dromen
05-18-2020, 10:45 AM
Always forget to ask before i need a replacement then just pickup whatever the LBS has to offer.

Are there any tube repair kits better than others?

Thanks,
SJ

Duende
05-18-2020, 10:47 AM
Park patch kit. Simple and reliable. Works on latex and butyl. Fits in your seat bag too. :)

Mike Bryant
05-18-2020, 10:51 AM
Rema Tip Top for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pncguy
05-18-2020, 11:13 AM
Any thoughts on pre-glued vs. glue included?

Mike Bryant
05-18-2020, 11:18 AM
Pre-glued when out on the road (to back up two spare tubes). Tube glue when at home in a better controlled patching environment.
I’ll add that I haven’t had to use the patches out on the road... yet.

MikeD
05-18-2020, 11:22 AM
Pre-glued when out on the road (to back up two spare tubes). Tube glue when at home in a better controlled patching environment.
I’ll add that I haven’t had to use the patches out on the road... yet.

+1

I buy a large tube of Slime glue at Walmart in the automotive department and it lasts years before it dries out, and a box of 100 Rema patches. Much cheaper over the long haul than those patch kits you can buy in the bike shop.

saab2000
05-18-2020, 11:27 AM
Get Rema and get small patches. The best ones are the size of a dime.

p nut
05-18-2020, 11:33 AM
Several years ago, after a flat and finding the tube of glue all dried up, I ordered 100 patches and 30 small vulcanizing glue on eBay. I think total was $10.

I keep a couple patches in the seat bag. And a brand new tube of glue. Once I get a flat, I get home, throw out the glue and put in a fresh/new tube.

I’ve never had good luck with pre-glued/speed patches.

Duende
05-18-2020, 11:50 AM
Never tried the Rena... maybe they are better. Park has been fine for me. Pre-glued.

RoosterCogset
05-18-2020, 11:51 AM
Several years ago, after a flat and finding the tube of glue all dried up, I ordered 100 patches and 30 small vulcanizing glue on eBay. I think total was $10.

I keep a couple patches in the seat bag. And a brand new tube of glue. Once I get a flat, I get home, throw out the glue and put in a fresh/new tube.

I’ve never had good luck with pre-glued/speed patches.

The pre-glued patches could never even get you home? It sounds like you throw away the patched tubes when you get home anyway.

bfd
05-18-2020, 12:00 PM

Yes, you want the 16mm patches, comes in a box of 100:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51RrJCUPDuL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Hard part is finding good glue. Ideally, Rema glue is very good, but hard to find:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61qVMjemBLL._AC_SY679_.jpg

Someone else suggested getting a bottle of slime, need to try that.

Good Luck!

bikinchris
05-18-2020, 12:07 PM
I agree. The best quality patch kit is the Rema Tip Top. That along with a boot for large cuts eill get you home. I use cut up pieces of tubular tires as boots.

Dromen
05-18-2020, 12:42 PM
Forgot to include, for on-bike only OR get-me-home purposes.

Can anyone recommend a preglued that works for potentially a few hours to get me home?

16mm rema patches/sand paper/cement works great in laboratory setting but throw rain, dirt/mud, darkness, etc into the equation and application gets sketchy for me.

p nut
05-18-2020, 01:05 PM
Hard part is finding good glue. Ideally, Rema glue is very good, but hard to find:

Any auto parts store should have vulcanizing cement/glue. This is what I’ve used for a number of years:

https://m.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-and-wheel/rubber-cement/x-tra-seal-chemical-vulcanizing-cement-8oz/576761_0_0

bikinchris
05-18-2020, 05:26 PM
Youz guys must get a LOT more flats than I do. Patch kits are a back up to the new tube.

Dromen
05-18-2020, 05:28 PM
50 - 200mi unsupported gravel rides....extra s**t happens.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

MikeD
05-18-2020, 05:33 PM
Youz guys must get a LOT more flats than I do. Patch kits are a back up to the new tube.

I always patch my tubes (but not on the road). Rule of thumb: 5 patches and I throw the tube out. I used up a box of 100 patches but one of those big cans of patch glue dried up on me before I used much of it, so I'll only buy tubes of glue from now on.

Peter P.
05-18-2020, 07:28 PM
Any thoughts on pre-glued vs. glue included?

Pre-glued patches never worked for me, even to milk a tire home a few miles. I'll never use them again.

Yes, get the Rema 16mm patches because they're easier to apply to skinny road bike tubes. Save the large patches for your mountain bike. You can tell the difference between those and the patches which usually come in the kits because the larger diameter patches have a serrated circumference while the smaller patches are smooth.

You can also buy the glue in 5g tubes, but it's seems to never fit into existing patch kit boxes. I just squirt out the excess and roll up the tube.

AngryScientist
05-18-2020, 07:44 PM
Yes, you want the 16mm patches, comes in a box of 100:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51RrJCUPDuL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Someone else suggested getting a bottle of slime, need to try that.

Good Luck!

yes, this exactly. about once every 6 months on a rainy evening i'll pour a glass of scotch or three and have a patch party in the basement. fix a few tubes and leave them as spares.

mtechnica
05-18-2020, 07:46 PM

You’d better have a good patch kit in so cal or you’ll go bankrupt on tubes

charliedid
05-18-2020, 09:02 PM
Carry two tubes of glue. Carry alcohol wipes and clean tube with it. Apply glue and light on fire. Patch and ride. I carry a couple glueless patches too.

Your MOOTS not tubeless?

And yes REMA seems to be the best.

p nut
05-18-2020, 11:04 PM
I always patch my tubes (but not on the road). Rule of thumb: 5 patches and I throw the tube out. I used up a box of 100 patches but one of those big cans of patch glue dried up on me before I used much of it, so I'll only buy tubes of glue from now on.

I counted 8 patches on one of my tubes one time. :p After a couple patches, I save them for spares or goes on the townie bike.

buddybikes
05-19-2020, 05:13 AM
Flat 1 - replace tube. Flat 2 - cell phone call

Don't forget to carry a dollar bill if the casing gets cut