PDA

View Full Version : MTB saddle with longer rails

d_douglas
05-18-2020, 08:56 AM
I am switching a droppeR post from one with setback to a straight one and realized that the saddle I use (a beloved vintage WTB SST) is basically at the front of the rails, so with the new post, it will actually shorten my cockpit length.

Are there any saddle with longer rails than usual that are suitable for beating on ? No leather Brooks suggestions!

C50
05-18-2020, 10:26 AM
I would suggest looking at Selle SMP saddles (anything from the Pro series, Well or Hybrid from the SVT/Tour series) which will have the longest useable rails available. This combined with the fact that the design places you comparatively further back functionally (one of the reasons you sometimes move a Selle SMP saddle forward up to 1.5cm to get the same fore/aft place as "most" other saddles may help you achieve the position you need with the new post.

d_douglas
05-18-2020, 12:21 PM
No SMP for me! One thing is that they hurt my eyes, but secondly, it’s for a trail bike that has been known to get thrown to the ground. A fragile leather saddle would be a bad idea.

Honestly, a MTB saddle for me is a perch because I am always up and down on it during my rides. I did have an AlianteXM on my Desalvo that I sold and I thought that was a pretty great option. Too bad they’re hard to find.

donevwil
05-18-2020, 12:30 PM
Sorry to say, but I bet you know what the right answer is! No seatpost would ever make me ditch a grail saddle (SST on my MTB as well).

d_douglas
05-18-2020, 11:41 PM
Hmmm, then that means a new frame because I am pushing the limits of this frame with my setback dropper post :(

Bummer as I dig this frame a lot...

donevwil
05-19-2020, 12:39 AM
I'm missing something, your original post has you moving from a setback to straight post leaving your saddle at the front of the rails, i.e. slammed max rearward. A setback post would resolve that. Your latest post suggests you're actually using a setback post and still need to go further back?

Sent from my LM-X410UM using Tapatalk

d_douglas
05-19-2020, 09:43 AM
I'm missing something, your original post has you moving from a setback to straight post leaving your saddle at the front of the rails, i.e. slammed max rearward. A setback post would resolve that. Your latest post suggests you're actually using a setback post and still need to go further back?

Sent from my LM-X410UM using Tapatalk

Sorry if that is unclear. Yes, I use a Specialized Command Post, one of the few droppers with setback. I bought a One Up post which is straight. As my saddle is pushed back nearly all the way already, there is no way to compensate for losing the setback - my saddle to bar distance has been shortened by making this change...

scoobydrew
05-19-2020, 11:18 AM
Any chance you can return the OneUp dropper and get something with setback? Not many options out there especially with external routing, but there are a few.

Only ones I could think off of the top of my head:
KS eTen
Specialized Command

d_douglas
05-19-2020, 11:27 AM
Thanks. Returning the One Up is a bit of a grey area. My industry buddy bought it for me at a bit of a discount, so it is hard to ask him to take it back through the shop he's affiliated with! That is the way it goes.

Further to the external routed dropper, that is no longer needed. I saw the Santa Cruz this weekend, and it wasn't the right bike. The TT was just wayyyy too short for me. Sticking with my Banshee for now and seeing about finding an XL to replace it. Theyre amazing bikes, but mine is just on the border of too small.

I used it this weekend and my Specialized dropper on it actually worked fine, so I have some time to spare. Hopefully my new frame will have a 30.9 seatpost and I can just use the new OneUp, as I really like it (on paper anyways).

As for setback posts, my only options seem to be another Specialized (nahhhh) or a cheap KS, as you've noted (nahhhh)

macaroon
05-19-2020, 11:29 AM
Honestly, a MTB saddle for me is a perch because I am always up and down on it during my rides.

Cant see why it'd really be a problem then. You might even find an improvement during seated climbing.

donevwil
05-19-2020, 12:12 PM
As mentioned I have an SST on my MTB, I'll look through my ancient saddle stash to see if anything, or particular brand, has significantly more forward rail.

12snap
05-19-2020, 04:25 PM
The 9point8 Fall line dropper is available with a 25 mm setback.
https://www.9point8.ca/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=213

zambenini
05-19-2020, 04:33 PM
I don't know if saddles have to be dedicated for MTBs, but I just use whatever I like on a road bike. (But, I ride SS and use a dropper, too, so my butt barely touches it). \

I had a San Marco Regale e with nice long rails, which got some good setback. I have a Scoop shallow ti on it now and it's slammed as far back as you reasonably can but it works without looking funny.

bigreen505
05-19-2020, 05:07 PM
No specifics, but in my experience Specialized saddles have the longest rails across the board. I’ve tried several. On my road bike I need a 30 mm setback post to get other saddles close to the same range as I get with a specialized saddle and a post with minimal setback.