PDA

View Full Version : Looking to start

dbo
05-17-2020, 08:23 PM
Hi everyone.
I want to get into cycling as a way to get back fit and explore the outdoors.

I'm deciding between the Airborne Zeppelin (https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2629062/?directtofirstphoto&directtofirstphoto&directtofirstphoto&directtofirstphoto&directtofirstphoto&directtofirstphoto) and Litespeed Xicon (https://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/bik/d/litespeed-xicon-57-cm-large-titanium/7125859808.html)

Need some advice.

Thank you.

Clean39T
05-17-2020, 08:32 PM
First - welcome to the Forum! Bikes are the best.

Both solid choices, but the Airborne is significantly larger than the Litespeed..

How tall are you? Or do you have a pic of a past bike that fit you for comparison?

Also, while I am all for used bikes, in your case, a new, or newer model setup may be a good choice - something with clearance for wider tires, and a wider gear range.

Whereabouts will you be riding? What type of riding most interests you? And are you starting from scratch here? ie. need shoes, riding apparel, helmet, etc....

A few more details may help us narrow things down a bit.

If it's road and fitness riding - I'm going to suggest something like an aluminum Trek, Specialized, or Giant - a recent model, maybe Tiagra or 105, and something that can fit a minimum of 28mm tires on it for handling confidence and comfort.

If you are on the larger side, I'd look for a gravel bike with 650b tires and discs - and we can point you to some good options there as well.

Once you get some miles under your belt and learn your fit and preferences, you can jump off the deep end of custom and obscure bikes like you see here - if that's your thing....or becomes your thing.

TL;DR - get something newer, with modern components and tire options, and maybe try getting it from a local shop so they can help get you everything you need out the gate..

robt57
05-17-2020, 09:03 PM
I seem to have read a lot of times about cracked Airborne Zeppelins. Not seen this personally in real life though...

Being the two links are much different size bikes, get this mistake out of the way and make sure you understand fit for you before you pluck down coin.

Welcome aboard.

dbo
05-17-2020, 09:05 PM
I'm 5'11 (182 cm). Starting from scratch, once I will get the bike, I'm going to order helmet, shoes... etc.

weisan
05-17-2020, 09:11 PM
Starting from scratch...

Maybe post the city that you live in....there's nothing like having a local bike geek friend who can walk you through some of these things.

The truth of the matter is, since you are starting from scratch, the most important thing is making sure you can sustain the interest for more than six months, that it's not a flash in the pan moment, get a bike that's in the low end of your budget, slowly work your way up being able to ride 40+ miles on one setting without killing yourself, then come back here, you will be in a much better position to ask the right questions to proceed to the next level and also able to appreciate the background and the reason for some of the answers given.

Monsieur Toast
05-17-2020, 09:13 PM
I'm 5'11 (182 cm). Starting from scratch, once I will get the bike, I'm going to order helmet, shoes... etc.

Any idea what your inseam is?

Assuming your legs & torso are relatively proportional ... the Litespeed at 57cm is a potential fit for you. The Airborne Zeppelin at 60cm should be too big.

My legs & torso are pretty much proportional, I'm 6'2", and have an inseam of 32 inches. Most comfortable on a 58cm, but can make a 57cm work.

dbo
05-17-2020, 09:26 PM
Maybe post the city that you live in....there's nothing like having a local bike geek friend who can walk you through some of these things.

I live in the Brooklyn, NY.

Any idea what your inseam is?

No idea.

According to various charts, Litespeed is better fit for me.

Should I get a new bike or get the Litespeed? Titanium frame is really nice, I can always swap/upgrade/change components.

mulp
05-17-2020, 10:14 PM
I agree it is prudent to buy a bike on the cheaper end of the spectrum first. Regardless of what you decide, you should get some measurements of yourself to see what may work best for you on paper, but what fits for you on paper may not necessarily fit best in the real world.

All things being equal id get the lightspeed.

Clean39T
05-17-2020, 11:51 PM
I live in the Brooklyn, NY.

No idea.

According to various charts, Litespeed is better fit for me.

Should I get a new bike or get the Litespeed? Titanium frame is really nice, I can always swap/upgrade/change components.

The Litespeed is a very nice bike. I think you would be better off overall though to get something like this: https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/marketplace/buy-now/2019-trek-emonda-alr-5-34165/. It has 105, which is excellent performance at that pricepoint - and it'll easily fit 28mm tires. The frameset won't hold you back and it'll still be worth close to what you paid for it even after a year of riding if/when you want to upgrade. I think a 56cm is within range for you, but maybe a 58cm would be better, tough to say without seeing your proportions.

Even there though, I'd probably still recommend getting something local and from a shop if you can. They will help you get going with everything you need - and you won't have to deal with putting it together yourself. After you get a season under your bib-straps, get used to basic maintenance, etc., it'll be easier to ply the second-hand market for deals.