PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question, new cables for Dura Ace 7700?

TimS
05-17-2020, 07:48 PM
I am putting together an old Serotta and have put together a full set of Dura Ace 7700 brakes, shifters et al. An old guy that is used to what he is used to.

My question is as follows: What cable "packets" will be appropriate? They don't make 7700 kits any more. Can I use the current cables available or do I have to fish to find age appropriate?

Could be a dumb question but I cant find the answer and figured this forum would be the place to turn.

Thanks.

Tim

mktng
05-17-2020, 08:01 PM
You can use any Shimano or Jagwire kit available on the market. Doesn't need to be Dura Ace level.

TimS
05-17-2020, 08:32 PM
Does

SHIMANO
POLYMER COATED BRAKE CABLE SET

work?

They say that you should not use on an older system because the pinch bolts arent designed to deal with the polymer. Does that matter?

And thank you

Old School
05-17-2020, 08:44 PM
Does

SHIMANO

work?

They say that you should not use on an older system because the pinch bolts arent designed to deal with the polymer. Does that matter?

And thank you

Personally I think that is silly advice, but if you are concerned you could just use a Bic lighter on the end of the cable to burn away the terrible polymers.

The new cables, Shimano, Campagnolo and Sram coated, are all light years ahead of the old stuff. The moment you try to install them, and feel them slinking and sliding around your fingers you will see what I mean.

aaronf
05-17-2020, 08:48 PM
Does

SHIMANO

work?

And thank you

Just remove the polymer coating from the inner wire (at the pinch bolts) using a razor blade and you'll be totally fine.
Similar to removing the coating from the Gore Ride-On cables from years ago.
Likely you can just clamp the cable as is and be fine, but I'd scrape it to be sure of good grip without requiring over-tightening.

Velocipede
05-17-2020, 09:12 PM
I am putting together an old Serotta and have put together a full set of Dura Ace 7700 brakes, shifters et al. An old guy that is used to what he is used to.

My question is as follows: What cable "packets" will be appropriate? They don't make 7700 kits any more. Can I use the current cables available or do I have to fish to find age appropriate?

Could be a dumb question but I cant find the answer and figured this forum would be the place to turn.

Thanks.

Tim

Does

SHIMANO

work?

And thank you

Yes you can use the new Polymer coated inner wires. The housing is the same so you don't need to worry about that. If you want standard wires, the 7700 was a standard 1.1mm stainless steel wire. Plenty of those out there. Same with the SP41(4mm) housing. For using the Polymer inner wires, just strip the section you would have in the pinch bolt. I have put bikes together WITHOUT doing that and they've worked fine.

BUT here's the big thing, the Polymer wires, they flake. That's what sucks about them. They will end up clogging the ends of the ferrules/housing and you will end up with poor shifting/braking. Personally, I prefer regular uncoated wires. Unless it's a bike that's new and it's supposed to come with those wires or someone specifies it, I always put regular uncoated wires on bikes.

oldpotatoe
05-18-2020, 06:35 AM

Thanks.

Tim

Not a dumb question at all..

You can use a 'modern' shimano cable kit, even for 11s but I'd stay away from the uber slick, stuff. I've heard of 'some' have trouble clamping the cable tight enough in older brakes BUT
Jagwire Slick Stainless set would work fine.

semdoug
05-18-2020, 07:15 AM
I am a long time 7700 owner and have always used the basic stainless Shimano inner cable. I haven’t had to buy any for years but believe they’re like $5.