PDA

View Full Version : Enlighten me about quality bibs

steveoz
05-17-2020, 06:57 PM
So I've biked for years now and always had a mix of various bibs- ranging from the LBS branded Voleur to generic Performance bike to Specialized. I've never had a "high end " bib - am I missing out?

RJR
05-17-2020, 07:11 PM
I have had a couple Rapha bibs and they really agree with me. That said, I've found it's all about the chamois--some of my faves were low cost DeMarchi and others that had a great pad.

Kyle h
05-17-2020, 07:32 PM
A bit like saddles in that you can spend a lot of money trying to find good ones but when you do find them you know. I really like Black Sheep and Donkey Label bibs. Their chamois agree with me as do the Castelli ones.

lhuerta
05-17-2020, 07:32 PM
LaPassione...same quality as Assos and EtxeOndo at fraction of price. Hi compression fabrics and unique chamois design.

dbnm
05-17-2020, 07:47 PM
Rapha. Buy them on sale.

Hellgate
05-17-2020, 08:11 PM
LaPassione...same quality as Assos and EtxeOndo at fraction of price. Hi compression fabrics and unique chamois design.Yes! LaPassione are very nice. I recently bought a pair of Presitge to add to the PSN's and Minimal in the closet. My Assos and Castelli's gather dust.

ronlau
05-17-2020, 08:15 PM
So I've biked for years now and always had a mix of various bibs- ranging from the LBS branded Voleur to generic Performance bike to Specialized. I've never had a "high end " bib - am I missing out?
I would suggest you take a look at Ale. The better version is made in Italy and they fit very nicely for me. Do keep in mind they run small compare with American size. Moreover, they are having a sale now.

https://www.alebikewear.com/

Sincerely,
Ron

tuxbailey
05-17-2020, 08:16 PM
I wear Rapha and Voler. Not sure Voler is consider high end but it is quite nice (for me.) Get the pro version when they are on sale.

lavi
05-17-2020, 08:32 PM
I would say for rides under 2 hrs...pushing 3 hrs, it almost doesn't matter for me. For 4+ hours, then I start to care.

I have some that are garbage. My Castelli (team kit) are some of me least favorite. I've never had a castelli bib that did anything for me. They are local in pdx. So lots of teams like to support the. I'm "cheap" and never buy their highest end in a team kit.

I have one Assos. They are good. Very good. I've heard the same for 36.5. That makes sense as the founders of 36.5 are ex-Assos peeps. So these are my tops for when I'm going long.

I also really like my older team bibs made by Vermac. I don't really know why as there doesn't appear to be anything special about them. However, they are great.

I have some Voler that are also not my favorite.

I have a few new bibs on order from theblackbibs.com. This is the brand that Phil Gaimon pimps. Their calling card is quality bibs staring at $40. So I'll see. I also ordered their higher end adventure bibs, $85. They have the upgraded shammy along with the better leg gripper. They also have the external side pockets for phone, bars, bananas...that seem to be all the rage. I'll post up a review once I get a few rides in on them.

steelbikerider
05-17-2020, 08:32 PM
I loved the performance Ultra bibs, they fit me better that any bib I've had. The only drawback was the the pad was only good for about 2 hours max.

I'm currently switching between PI interval bib and Castelli Aero. The Pearl Izumi has a better fit similar the the Ultra, The Castelli has a better pad. You can find both on sale for $110 - 120 from reputable dealers if you are patient.

FlashUNC
05-17-2020, 08:53 PM
Durability and quality of construction matter over the long haul. I've had wonderfully comfortable inexpensive bibs that fell apart in 9 months. And I've got Assos bibs going on 8 years now and still ticking along.

So from a fit and comfort perspective? Probably not. From a "buy once and don't think about it again ever" perspective, yeah.

elcolombiano
05-17-2020, 09:08 PM
I would suggest you take a look at Ale. The better version is made in Italy and they fit very nicely for me. Do keep in mind they run small compare with American size. Moreover, they are having a sale now.

https://www.alebikewear.com/

Sincerely,
Ron

Very nice clothing. Thanks.

elcolombiano
05-17-2020, 09:15 PM
I ride Suarez kits, made in Medellin Colombia. I buy them when I am there or have relatives bring them when they visit. You can order them on line. I am 5"7" 135 lbs. They fit me great and are comfortable. I found a place in the states that sells them. Colombian peso is at 3900 to the USD so the clothing is not so expensive.

https://suarezclothing.com/co/tienda/?product_cat=ropa&pa_sexo=hombre&pa_tipo=camisetas

https://centocycling.com/collections/suarez

fmradio516
05-17-2020, 09:28 PM
I have a few new bibs on order from theblackbibs.com. This is the brand that Phil Gaimon pimps. Their calling card is quality bibs staring at $40. So I'll see. I also ordered their higher end adventure bibs, $85. They have the upgraded shammy along with the better leg gripper. They also have the external side pockets for phone, bars, bananas...that seem to be all the rage. I'll post up a review once I get a few rides in on them.

Please do! Was just looking at these the other day. My buddy who turned me onto them really likes them... but he uses the stock sidi insoles too...

steveoz
05-17-2020, 09:32 PM
Well all my bibs are falling apart, and I find too much padding actually causes me numbness issues (no not the saddle - it happens no matter which bike I pull out of the stable). I am a little big on the larger size - (250 ish) so dunno if that matters with any of the more expensive brands.

choke
05-17-2020, 09:38 PM
A bit like saddles +11ty billion. And understand that price does not necessarily mean comfort. I've yet to meet a Castelli bib that I didn't like and I prefer the less expensive models, while the worst bib that I ever owned was an Assos.

elcolombiano
05-17-2020, 09:48 PM
Yes! LaPassione are very nice. I recently bought a pair of Presitge to add to the PSN's and Minimal in the closet. My Assos and Castelli's gather dust.

LaPassione looks high quality

wtex
05-17-2020, 10:18 PM
LaPassione and Rivelo are the only thing I buy now. LPs shipping policy is a bit strict, but once you figure out sizing, they are top quality in all their gear.

cmbicycles
05-17-2020, 10:38 PM
Rapha Classsics I tried just dont work for me. Not sure what exactly it is about them as they are certainly nice quality, so high end doesnt always mean better fit for you. I have a pair of Assos that I like, and some Aerotec tall bibs that I like equally with the Assos. I've had a few others along the way but those few are what is in rotation now. I think my next pair to try will be be semi custom from Boure for taller bibs as that is the hardest aspect of bib fit for me.

clyde the point
05-18-2020, 05:38 AM
Shout out for Team Cycles in Portland. Santini stuff has always been great for me. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a decent bib.

pdonk
05-18-2020, 06:27 AM
I am a little big on the larger size - (250 ish) so dunno if that matters with any of the more expensive brands.

I would try eliel. Their sizing is north American. I ordered a xxl as I do with biemme and had to return for a large. For reference I'm 6'2 and 200lbs.

I am a donkey label fan, but I wonder how donkey label stuff is going to wear now that production is in Romania. Fabrics and chamoix seem the same.

steveoz
05-18-2020, 06:39 AM
I would try eliel. Their sizing is north American. I ordered a xxl as I do with biemme and had to return for a large. For reference I'm 6'2 and 200lbs.

I am a donkey label fan, but I wonder how donkey label stuff is going to wear now that production is in Romania. Fabrics and chamoix seem the same.

This right here! I've found throughout any clothing line that "overseas" manufacturers can't figure out the shape of the US consumer - we're just wider (at least I am...) I literally have 25 yo Ralph Lauren shirts marked L that are wider than an Old Navy shirt marked 3x.

mcteague
05-18-2020, 07:21 AM
Once again, I'll suggest Pactimo. They rarely get mentioned here and are at least as nice as Rapha Classics IMO. And, they have regular sales where you can get them at reduced prices.

https://www.pactimo.com/collections/mens-cycling-bibs-shorts

Tim

Johnnysmooth
05-18-2020, 08:06 AM
Saddles and bibs, all a matter of preference

Not a big fan of Castilli as they wear out quickly.
Girodana, also made in Italy have great fit, nice chamois (not too thick) and last a long time
Cuore, the Swiss based company of former Assos employees are fabulous but difficult to find in US. Note, this is not the US-based Cuore!
Assos can be quite nice, though some models’ chamois are a bit too much.
Voler, Hincapie, PI, Santini are ok for an hr or so ride not much more than that

Dired
05-18-2020, 08:29 AM
Is this the right place to ask for fit advice? :banana:
I was wondering if someone could offer a recommendation based on experience. I'm 6'4 205 wearing xxl assos cento that fit really well but have an unusually short inseam - what would be a good alternative with a normal leg length (not long) for ~$150? Thanks!

jeffkoller91
05-18-2020, 09:12 AM
Once again, I'll suggest Pactimo. They rarely get mentioned here and are at least as nice as Rapha Classics IMO. And, they have regular sales where you can get them at reduced prices.

https://www.pactimo.com/collections/mens-cycling-bibs-shorts

Tim

I'll second this. I'm a big fan of their bibs, but I would recommend waiting for a sale. I also have a pair of their bib tights which were night and day better than what I was using before.

zap
05-18-2020, 09:29 AM
Assos can be quite nice, though some models’ chamois are a bit too much.

S9 has a thinner chamois. But the fit for me is a wee bit different compared to the S7....the S9 requiring a little more fiddling to fit/feel just right. Feels good once on the bike.

Zackus
05-18-2020, 09:40 AM
I also am on a quest to find the best bibs. I started out with pearl izumi and they were alright. I then bought one of those cheap Chinese kits off eBay for about $25. The chamois was not uncomfortable but lasted 1 short ride before it tore in half down the center.

I them upgraded to some castellis last summer as I was getting more into riding and decided to pony up on some actual bibs. I think they were on sale for $100 down from $150 on Backcountry. They've been good. I just recently pulled the trigger on some Rapha core bibs. Cheaper than the rest of their stuff at $120ish. Just wore them for a century this past weekend and they performed pretty well. Only complaint was that I could see salt/sweat crystals visibly dry on the outside of the bibs, especially in the creases. Not sure if this is because they were new or what? Not a big deal, but never have had that issue before and have had sweatier rides (it was only 70s).

It seems across the internet people seem to say that the Assos Equipe bibs are pretty much the gold standard. Pretty pricey at around $200. But I think I'll probably pull the trigger on some soon. Currently some options around $170-180 on bikeinn

coreyaugustus
05-18-2020, 09:53 AM
LaPassione looks high quality

And so far, I think they are. They are at least very comfy and I like their minimal branding. I would recommend following the care instructions to the letter. Some of the stitching on my first pair (maybe two years old) has started to fray. The fabric itself has held up well; no pulling or threadbare spots, etc. They were my only pair for a brief period and I got fairly liberal with just throwing them in the washing machine with other workout clothes and towels.

I've added more of their club bibs to the lineup. The PSNs were my first pair from them.

The value is certainly better compared to brands like POC, Cafe du Cycliste, or Velocio.

merlinmurph
05-18-2020, 10:04 AM
Rapha has had mixed results for me.

They've been great for riding, especially on longer rides where good shorts are key. People that regularly log long rides swear by them. Thing is, the two pairs of Rapha I own had the chamois stitching wear out after just a year or two. Both were the Sport (cheaper) version of their short. Yes, Rapha repaired them for free, but my experience doesn't exactly resonate "quality".

wc1934
05-18-2020, 10:09 AM

No, you are not missing out. But you can spend a bunch of money seeking the perfect bib.
I have tried many of the "high end" European brands, but they have a different sizing system (must size up) which, for me, effects the fit - they are then too long and the pad is too bunchy.
I have since ignored the brand name/logo and purchase solely on comfort/fit.

Bici-Sonora
05-18-2020, 11:14 AM
First off, I'll state my bias: my daughter works for this company, and I get their products at a discount.

But, I've worn many bib brands over the years and I find the quality of Endless to be on par with the best. Designed in Spain, made in Italy. Same high quality fabrics and pads as the other top tier brands at slightly lower prices. And, I like the understated designs and minimal logos.

Like other European companies, their products are mostly race fit, and I (6'2" 170lbs) wear XL in the bibs and jerseys. They do make an "away" series that is cut a little more generously, but I haven't tried those yet.

They have lasted a good long time and I've not had any saddle sore issues even for several two week long tours.

Website is here: https://www.endless.cc/

cmbicycles
05-18-2020, 03:54 PM
Is this the right place to ask for fit advice? :banana:

I was wondering if someone could offer a recommendation based on experience. I'm 6'4 205 wearing xxl assos cento that fit really well but have an unusually short inseam - what would be a good alternative with a normal leg length (not long) for ~$150? Thanks!Aerotech Designs makes tall bibs and other cycling clothing. I am 6'5 200# and have a large-tall that I like just as well as a pair of Assos xlg. Dave Kirk did a write up a little while ago about Bouré bibs that he liked... they have a semi custom upcharge of 15% +/- for alterations to their standard sizes. I am going to give them a try at some point, but maybe worth you looking into.

Ozz
05-18-2020, 04:34 PM
LaPassione...same quality as Assos and EtxeOndo at fraction of price. Hi compression fabrics and unique chamois design.
website looks/feels just like Rapha...related?

Dired
05-18-2020, 04:58 PM
Aerotech Designs makes tall bibs and other cycling clothing. I am 6'5 200# and have a large-tall that I like just as well as a pair of Assos xlg. Dave Kirk did a write up a little while ago about Bouré bibs that he liked... they have a semi custom upcharge of 15% +/- for alterations to their standard sizes. I am going to give them a try at some point, but maybe worth you looking into.

Thanks! I was going to see if Rapha includes the classic bibs in their holiday sale, but Boure looks like a great option, I sent them a pm. So many brands to sort through, trying to avoid doing a return in this climate.

arimajol
05-18-2020, 08:15 PM
I'm interested in this too. Have a pair of garneau shorts that are way more comfortable than the pearl izumi.bibs I've got. Anyone have insight into Garneau vs LaPassione?

pasadena
05-18-2020, 08:47 PM

schwa86
05-18-2020, 09:24 PM
It’s been funny clicking through the various responses how few of the companies show you a picture of their chamois on their sites. For me that’s the most important consideration, and I feel like I can somewhat eyeball the ones that will fell like I’m wearing a diaper.

drgonzo
05-18-2020, 09:45 PM
First off, I'll state my bias: my daughter works for this company, and I get their products at a discount.

But, I've worn many bib brands over the years and I find the quality of Endless to be on par with the best. Designed in Spain, made in Italy. Same high quality fabrics and pads as the other top tier brands at slightly lower prices. And, I like the understated designs and minimal logos.

Like other European companies, their products are mostly race fit, and I (6'2" 170lbs) wear XL in the bibs and jerseys. They do make an "away" series that is cut a little more generously, but I haven't tried those yet.

They have lasted a good long time and I've not had any saddle sore issues even for several two week long tours.

Website is here: https://www.endless.cc/

Their stuff looks nice. Tell your daughter they’d have another customer if they only made a bib knicker ;)

Dekonick
05-18-2020, 09:59 PM
Get a Brooks B-17 and it won't matter. :banana:

Bici-Sonora
05-18-2020, 10:10 PM
Their stuff looks nice. Tell your daughter they’d have another customer if they only made a bib knicker ;)

I’ll let her know—I’m a knicker fan too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgauthier
05-18-2020, 10:42 PM

If you can ride for 6+ hours without discomfort in your current bibs, then no, you're not missing anything.

BobbyJones
05-18-2020, 10:54 PM
I like my Assos..they work for me as I've got short legs and they seem to hold up.

Gonna throw in the DeSoto 400 mile bib in here. Super functional and they don't have leg grippers/elastic- which I find irritates my skin.

pasadena
05-18-2020, 11:17 PM