PDA

View Full Version : More cycling infrastructure post Covid-19?

cyan
05-16-2020, 10:19 PM
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52689372

Quotes from the article:

"Transport Secretary Grant Shapps ordered English local authorities to make "significant changes" to give more space to pedestrians and cyclists.

He said he would be setting up a £250 million emergency fund to encourage what he called "active travel".

Mr Shapps said the money was the first instalment of a £2bn package for cycling and walking, part of a £5bn investment announced in February.

Councils can already use temporary traffic orders to widen pavements, install cycle lanes, create new zebra crossings and close entire streets to traffic, and Mr Shapps has said he will enhance their powers."

I can see this adopted in UK/Europe, any chance of it happening here in the U.S.?

oldpotatoe
05-17-2020, 06:46 AM

Quotes from the article:

"Transport Secretary Grant Shapps ordered English local authorities to make "significant changes" to give more space to pedestrians and cyclists.

He said he would be setting up a £250 million emergency fund to encourage what he called "active travel".

Mr Shapps said the money was the first instalment of a £2bn package for cycling and walking, part of a £5bn investment announced in February.

Councils can already use temporary traffic orders to widen pavements, install cycle lanes, create new zebra crossings and close entire streets to traffic, and Mr Shapps has said he will enhance their powers."

I can see this adopted in UK/Europe, any chance of it happening here in the U.S.?

Depends on November 3rd and then January 21st...:).

BUT, I really doubt it..vaccine and 'Merica will get back in their cars to go to work..IMHO.

MikeD
05-17-2020, 10:14 AM

Quotes from the article:

I doubt it unless there's an infrastructure stimulus bill. There's no money, especially now, and these types of projects are usually the first to be cut.

Alaska Mike
05-17-2020, 02:07 PM
When it comes to the infrastructure these projects usually churn out, I'd rather ride on the road with the cars.

Give me a wide, clean shoulder and I'm happy. When you start segregating and creating MUPs/MUTs, you funnel user groups of various speeds into areas where there isn't a bail-out option if things go wrong. You also fuel cager anger that all that money was spent and cyclists should not be on the road (and in their way). Barring the wide, clean shoulder, I'll take the lane and try to minimize my impact on the flow of traffic as much as possible while maintaining safety.

Don't get me wrong- I love the idea of making it easier for people to walk or ride. Our country needs it. I think most cities could do worse than ripping up a lot of pavement and replacing it with open spaces. With the entrenched car culture, cheap gas, and the desire to "get back to normal", I just don't see it happening at the scale it needs to.