PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding SRAM Calipers vs. Buying New

jwin
05-15-2020, 11:17 PM
So I picked up a used SRAM Force 1 group in decent condition (at least it seemed). Upon going to install and bleed I find that the inner pistons on both calipers are quite sticky. They move alright if I hold the outer piston in place, but no amount of advancing gets them to move at the proper speed. I've tried re-bleeding as well, but I'm pretty sure I've got most all the air out

I imagine my only recourse now is to go for a full rebuild, but I will probably lose it if I wait a week to do get the rebuild kit only to find the advancement is still sticky.

Should I just suck it up and buy brand new calipers to avoid this? I have the skills to do it, but relatively new to the bike maintenance world and not sure if I should just call it quits and avoid the hassle.

TIA. -Jacob

CiclistiCliff
05-17-2020, 11:50 AM
Not a caliper issue. Most likely master cylinder is dead. Swollen seals and whatnot.

jwin
05-17-2020, 12:36 PM
Not a caliper issue. Most likely master cylinder is dead. Swollen seals and whatnot.

That seems counter-intuitive to the symptoms I see. Why would one piston in the same caliper advance less than the other? The master cylinder drives both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk