PDA

View Full Version : DT Swiss 1400 Dicut Oxic any good?

TMD
05-15-2020, 08:31 PM
Considering buying the DT Swiss 1400 Dicut Oxic wheels. Does anyone have any reviews or thoughts on these? Any other all black aluminum options you’ve had good experience with?

Andy340
05-15-2020, 09:43 PM
I have 21 mm depth version - like them a lot. Great braking, look good and durable Oxic brake surface. I don’t ride in rain much (SoCal) but a lot of grit on roads and brake tracks show no wear. Also BXP pads wear quickly but are relatively cheap.

TMD
05-15-2020, 10:21 PM
Cool, thank you

nmrt
05-15-2020, 10:46 PM
i did a lot a reading on all the various all-black alloy rim braking surface. the ones that exist are:
1. mavic exalith
2. shamal mille
3. fulcrum nite
4. mavic open pro exalith
5. boyd ceramic
6. hed black
7. dt swiss oxic

among all of these the reviews pointed to the dt oxic being the best in braking, braking sound, and above all the "sturdiness" of the coating. i bought the oxic. while i do not have it anymore, suffice it say, i was blown away by the braking quality and the quality of the ride itself.

TMD
05-16-2020, 12:23 AM
Thank you

one60
05-16-2020, 03:27 AM
I agree with nmrt's comments. I was so impressed with the 21mm depth wheelset that I bought the deeper set when they became available.

I think forum member RichtheRoadie wrote a review on Cyclexif a few years back?

CTracer
05-16-2020, 05:32 AM
I have the 21mm Oxics and have put them through the wringer as they say. They are the best alu wheels you can get with this type of coating IMO. They are not aero due to the low profile but they are light, strong and braking is 10/10. You really can't go wrong of you can get them for a good price.

Kyle h
05-16-2020, 05:54 AM
I had a set of Aforce AL33 with the milled coating that I enjoyed. They lasted prob 2-3years of everyday, all weather use before I sold that bike. The coating on one was worn most of the way and the other was about 75% gone. Comically short brake is life initially but held up really well, we’re decent weight wise and had decent aero.

lookout2015
05-17-2020, 08:52 AM
I’ve had a set several years now - agree with the other positive comments. Great braking, very durable coating — and it’s often wet / sandy when I ride.

harblhat
05-17-2020, 09:15 AM
I had a set of Aforce AL33 with the milled coating that I enjoyed. They lasted prob 2-3years of everyday, all weather use before I sold that bike. The coating on one was worn most of the way and the other was about 75% gone. Comically short brake is life initially but held up really well, we’re decent weight wise and had decent aero.

I also run Aforce AL33s as my main road wheelset (not every day) with lots of mileage, dust, grit, and grime. The coating is holding up well, braking power is great, and I'm quite impressed.

charlieclick
05-17-2020, 09:36 AM
This is a helpful thread, I'm doing due diligence on nice wheels that brake well, and think these Dt Swiss will most likely be the ones for me.

I had been considering the AL33's, although not with the black coating.

mass_biker
05-17-2020, 12:10 PM
How do the DT OXIC (deeper and original shallower) compare to HED Ardennes+?

- weightwise
- durability
- stiffness

Also in the market for a new wheelset and am intrigued by the offerings from DT (and I guess, the Boyd Altamont "ceramic").

Any feedback would be great.

m_b

Joe
05-17-2020, 02:54 PM
Am I interpreting correctly from the DT Swiss website that wheels and hubs are not available for Campy?

soupless
05-17-2020, 03:11 PM
Probably have to buy the Campy free hub after the fact...

wallymann
05-17-2020, 04:01 PM
it appears negative, but asking just to be sure.

weiwentg
05-17-2020, 06:40 PM
I also run Aforce AL33s as my main road wheelset (not every day) with lots of mileage, dust, grit, and grime. The coating is holding up well, braking power is great, and I'm quite impressed.

How many years for you?

I have a pair of Boyd Altamont Ceramic wheels, but I’ve only got one year and probably 2k miles on them. The coating is holding up fine, but you would expect it to in that amount of time.

pdmtong
05-17-2020, 08:13 PM
i did a lot a reading on all the various all-black alloy rim braking surface. the ones that exist are:
1. mavic exalith
2. shamal mille
3. fulcrum nite
4. mavic open pro exalith
5. boyd ceramic
6. hed black
7. dt swiss oxic

among all of these the reviews pointed to the dt oxic being the best in braking, braking sound, and above all the "sturdiness" of the coating. i bought the oxic. while i do not have it anymore, suffice it say, i was blown away by the braking quality and the quality of the ride itself.

do all of these use the keronite/PEO process? if not, then what is used?
https://blog.keronite.com/what-is-plasma-electrolytic-oxidation-article

scoobydrew
05-17-2020, 09:12 PM

How many years for you?

I have a pair of Boyd Altamont Ceramic wheels, but I’ve only got one year and probably 2k miles on them. The coating is holding up fine, but you would expect it to in that amount of time.

I also have the Al33s with the ceramic brake track. I purchased them used from another member on here, yet the brake track is holding up relatively well after several thousand miles (considering the number of unplanned brief offroad ventures). For reference, I run the SwissStop BXP pads with these and they leave a feint purple/blue-ish residue on the brake track.

lookout2015
05-18-2020, 07:56 AM
Am I interpreting correctly from the DT Swiss website that wheels and hubs are not available for Campy?

Campy freehubs are available and an easy switch. One of the things I like about DT Swiss hubs...

harblhat
05-18-2020, 09:47 PM
How many years for you?

I'm on my second year with the AL33s going on 6000 km. I've gone through 2.5 sets of BXP pads in that time, which isn't bad. The first set disappeared in less than 6 months, though. The brake track isn't as black as it once was, but that's probably in part due to the blue pad residue.

pdmtong
05-18-2020, 10:15 PM
I'm on my second year with the AL33s going on 6000 km. I've gone through 2.5 sets of BXP pads in that time, which isn't bad. The first set disappeared in less than 6 months, though. The brake track isn't as black as it once was, but that's probably in part due to the blue pad residue.

Typically the first set of pads goes quick then the pad wear normalizes

Joe
06-10-2020, 03:09 PM
Am I interpreting correctly from the DT Swiss website that wheels and hubs are not available for Campy?Campy freehubs are available and an easy switch. One of the things I like about DT Swiss hubs...

I apologize for belaboring this...

1. I understand 12 speed Campy cassettes are wider than 11 speed cassettes. Will the DT Swiss OXIC wheel and this free hub body https://www.competitivecyclist.com/dt-swiss-240s-freehub-body permit use of 12 speed Campy cassettes?

2. If yes to 1., will side to side alignment of the cassette be identical to, say, a Campy WTO wheel? Can the OXIC wheel be interchanged with another wheel without the need for rear derailleur adjustment?

Thanks.