PDA

View Full Version : Sidi sole reinforcement plates

p nut
05-15-2020, 10:17 AM
I love these Time ATAC pedals I switched to a couple years ago. Love the engagement and ability to clear mud/dirt/debris better than Shimano.

But the issue I’m having is with the sole shield. Whatever they’re called. Supplied by Sidi. The edges don’t sit flush with the sole, so it catches on the pedal and bends them up. So I bent them more to the curvature of the sole, which I thought would work ok. But all the sweet jumps I’m taking, guess they end up bending anyway. The front bent pretty bad a few rides ago. Now today, I saw the rear was pretty bent. Sigh.

I tried to make Crank Bro’s version work but they’re too thick. Cannot clip in with those in place.

Any suggestions?

jmoore
05-15-2020, 10:20 AM
I looks like a very thin spacer to me.

Cut the plate down so it sits further under the pedal? Or make it bigger so the edge is not so close when you go to clip in?

I love these Time ATAC pedals I switched to a couple years ago. Love the engagement and ability to clear mud/dirt/debris better than Shimano.

But the issue I’m having is with the sole shield. Whatever they’re called. Supplied by Sidi. The edges don’t sit flush with the sole, so it catches on the pedal and bends them up. So I bent them more to the curvature of the sole, which I thought would work ok. But all the sweet jumps I’m taking, guess they end up bending anyway. The front bent pretty bad a few rides ago. Now today, I saw the rear was pretty bent. Sigh.

I tried to make Crank Bro’s version work but they’re too thick. Cannot clip in with those in place.

Any suggestions?

Mr B
05-15-2020, 03:40 PM
In 20 years of wearing Sidi MTB shoes, I've never seen those. They look kinda useless.
What are they supposed to do?

Gummee
05-15-2020, 03:44 PM
I'm confused. Why exactly won't the cleat clip in with the Crank Bros shield?

The Crank Bros shield puts the cleat where it is now, just about 1mm higher. I know they work on my Lakes.

M

p nut
05-15-2020, 03:51 PM
I looks like a very thin spacer to me.

Cut the plate down so it sits further under the pedal? Or make it bigger so the edge is not so close when you go to clip in?

Cutting it down, it may catch even more. Not sure where to source longer shields.

In 20 years of wearing Sidi MTB shoes, I've never seen those. They look kinda useless.
What are they supposed to do?

Keeps the pedals from destroying the carbon soles.

I'm confused. Why exactly won't the cleat clip in with the Crank Bros shield?

The Crank Bros shield puts the cleat where it is now, just about 1mm higher. I know they work on my Lakes.

M

Not sure. I installed them but couldn’t get it to clip in. Tried it without and was able to clip in. Tried it again and no go. Maybe I’m doing something wrong.

Gummee
05-15-2020, 04:53 PM
Not sure. I installed them but couldn’t get it to clip in. Tried it without and was able to clip in. Tried it again and no go. Maybe I’m doing something wrong.

Sounds like you're doing something wrong. Not sure what, but something.

It should actually be easier to clip in with the shields in place cause there's no interference from the sole.

M

purplecu22
05-16-2020, 02:25 AM
I think sidi says you need to run the shields with time pedals because the bars eat into the soles.

I run these on my sidi and lake shoes. I run atac pedals also. I used the crank brother shields. I pre-bent mine so they go the same bend as the sole. Until i did this they were getting caught on the pedals also.

My next pair will be cut from a plate so they are longer. Ill probably have to use longer screws but i feel your pain. Took me like 5 rides to be trouble free.

Also try moving the plates more towards your heal and them bend them down to follow the sole. I have a pair of lake shoes that had a rubber coating on the sole and had to do this.

:banana: