PDA

View Full Version : mini-van substitute

Ken Robb
05-14-2020, 11:26 AM
Quite a few years ago Leslie and I rented a Ford Flex (it might have been called something else back then) on a visit to The Finger lakes and DBRK. I was surprised how well it drove and the ride/handling compromise was fine. It got reasonable mileage and had no trouble keeping up with traffic. While not as commodious as a mini-van I think it held as much as most sport-utes. When we got home I did some research and found that there was a lot of Volvo design in the suspension because at the time Ford owned Volvo.
Any way, I think they are still being made and you can probably find used ones for short $$.

Merlmabase
05-14-2020, 04:53 PM
Quite a few years ago Leslie and I rented a Ford Flex (it might have been called something else back then) on a visit to The Finger lakes and DBRK. I was surprised how well it drove and the ride/handling compromise was fine. It got reasonable mileage and had no trouble keeping up with traffic. While not as commodious as a mini-van I think it held as much as most sport-utes. When we got home I did some research and found that there was a lot of Volvo design in the suspension because at the time Ford owned Volvo.
Any way, I think they are still being made and you can probably find used ones for short $$.

These are one of those odd design that makes it to market that doesn't fit neatly in any category. They certainly are cavernous. Kinda scratches the same itch if you're the type of person who wishes Honda still made the Element.

Ken Robb
05-14-2020, 05:14 PM
Yeah, the one we had seemed like a nice square station wagon that would be good for the Griswolds' "Family Vacation".

ultraman6970
05-15-2020, 12:36 AM
IMO is going to be hard to have a substitute for a minivan, the ford flex drive super nice but again, not the versatility of a minivan.

The flex is not made anymore btw. That car was odd and maybe if they built it differently like the old station wagons and more sporty it would have survived IMO. Nothing like a sporty SW...

54ny77
05-15-2020, 12:39 AM
i forever loath and despite them.

almost got hit by one last year. well technically it did hit me via sideswipe, i just managed to stay upright throughout the process.

(texting dumbass soccer mom and kid, BOTH of them on a phone as the vehicle drifted right into the bike lane.)

perfectly rational reason to hate a vehicle. :p ;)

9tubes
05-15-2020, 12:19 PM
I thought all TSWs (tall station wagons, aka SUVs that never go offroad) were built to be minivan substitutes. They allow parents to self-delude that they are cooler than a minivan driver while looking like the 2020s version of a minivan driver.

zambenini
05-15-2020, 12:37 PM
I love minivans so much, I had one before I had kids. But then I finally realized the minivan is the privation of van. So I got a Ford Econoline when my Sienna bit the dust. It's as badass as a truck, more practical than the minivan.

Ozz
05-15-2020, 01:01 PM
I love minivans so much, I had one before I had kids. But then I finally realized the minivan is the privation of van. So I got a Ford Econoline when my Sienna bit the dust. It's as badass as a truck, more practical than the minivan.
Right?

When I was in HS, my parents had a 1976 Dodge MAXI Van....nothing "mini" about it....3 rows of seats, plus captains chairs up front, plus cargo space behind 3rd row. It was a freakin' bus! Perfect for hauling 7 kids and two dogs to Yellowstone, Yosemite, Crater Lake, Redwoods, etc.....

Fun to drive....sucked gas like nothing else...

Ralph
05-15-2020, 03:05 PM
One of the passenger versions of the new style cargo (commercial) vans look interesting.....if you don't mind an industrial look. Ford Transit, and the smaller Transit Connect. Ram has some models, so does Nissan, and Mercedes, etc. You could configure these about any way you want on inside. My brother in law has a Nissan, and loves it. These get far better fuel economy than big work vans of the past.

Gummee
05-15-2020, 03:38 PM
Right?

When I was in HS, my parents had a 1976 Dodge MAXI Van....nothing "mini" about it....3 rows of seats, plus captains chairs up front, plus cargo space behind 3rd row. It was a freakin' bus! Perfect for hauling 7 kids and two dogs to Yellowstone, Yosemite, Crater Lake, Redwoods, etc.....

Fun to drive....sucked gas like nothing else...As a kid, my parents had a Dodge van with a Mercedes camper top on it. AFAIK it was the only one in the world! Drove all over western EUR in it. Brought it back to the US and it was what I learned to drive in.

After that van, Dad bought a Ford passenger van with the I-6 in it

I'm very surprised I haven't had a FS van of my own. I did have an Odyssey. Great thing for a racing cyclist.

Friend of mine has a Flex. Still...

M

mtechnica
05-15-2020, 03:43 PM
It’s gonna be hard to beat a mini van since they are relatively huge inside, get pretty good mpg, and basically drive like a car. A decent SUV will cost more, have less room, and get worse MPG. A truck with a canopy would be an idea but same issues. Wagons are cars but smaller inside than an SUV or mini van. The only thing maybe better than a mini van might be a transit connect or something like that. Obv an SUV would be better for off reading and camping if that’s your thing.

All of that said the newer suburban are HUGE and would maybe be a good option. A new land cruiser would be great if you are rich. So far there are no good electric options. A 100 series land cruiser might be worth considering as well.

robt57
05-15-2020, 03:53 PM
Just sold a 1996 5 speed clutch Voyager. And had a Town And Country Stow and go before that. Rare bird and 25 MG pretty much.

After my wife got her car totaled and I drove her home instead of going to the hospital, we agreed that we'd both only drive 5 star crash rated current tech.

My bike car now is a 2017 CRV-AWD, and I pop in 60CM bike in and out laying sideways like greased lightning. Also have a bike rack in there in case luggage space is needed...

It get better MPG than the 5 speed 2.5 4 CYL Voyager, and a lot better MPG than the Town And country did.

Moral to my drivel is the last body change CRV is pretty substantial VS earlier models. The totaled car was a much smaller 2015 CRV. Had to take off front wheel to put 60CM bike inside, it was missing near a foot of length from the seats back VS the new body style.

ojingoh
05-15-2020, 05:07 PM

A buddy of mine thinks like you. He owns a Red Sprinter, parks his Ducati in it and drives it to work on rainy days, with the Ducati in it!

acorn_user
05-15-2020, 11:15 PM
Have you tried a Honda Odyssey? The last model doesn't really look like a minivan, and they drive really nicely for such a big vehicle. I will say the fuel economy is pants (low 20s with careful driving unless you're always on the highway). If you just want a biggish wagon, Buick and Volvo still make them... Or you could get an Outback...

Andy sti
05-15-2020, 11:42 PM
I love my mini-van

https://i.imgur.com/4WHAtVl.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/ArZSfYu.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/7B6vfQ5.jpg?1

Louis
05-15-2020, 11:57 PM
Unimog U5000

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b1/de/ad/b1deadd3658c1d80a6fb3cfdc8d9d538.jpg

zambenini
05-20-2020, 08:33 PM
I was driving my Econoline the other day and thought to myself, "it's like driving a recliner."

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mass_biker
05-20-2020, 09:19 PM
All the way.
With a 1 up rack in back with a few trays...you can haul a few bikes on the hitch..take the 3d row down and you get a few more inside.
Heck - throw a roof rack on top and you can have a true team car (er...van).
Ours (Toyota Sienna - AWD) has ably served us on many long trips with multiple add-ons.

For the life of me, don't know why minivans get such a bad rap. And sliding doors - why doesn't everyone think of that!

m_b

oldpotatoe
05-21-2020, 06:47 AM
Coming to a VW dealer near you!!