PDA

View Full Version : Smaller chainrings, and braze-on tabs

NHAero
05-14-2020, 07:01 AM
In the thread about the price of SRAM AXS, I learned that there's a new crank option 43-30. Does this mean new current frames are less likely to have braze-on tabs for the FD, or does it mean only purpose built frames are likely to get these groups designed around 46 and 43T big rings?

When I had my Anderson built I didn't think about the tab, and so I'm running a 44T large ring with more space between the ring and the cage than I'd like. There's a gizmo Wickwerx makes that lowers the FD off a braze-on tab, but it lowers the FD too much to work with the 44T ring. Similarly, on my Casati, a 50T is the smallest ring that the tab is designed to accommodate. If I were to get another frame it wouldn't have a tab - I don't see the benefit unless the seat tube isn't round.

AngryScientist
05-14-2020, 07:09 AM
yea, exactly.

i'm thinking about rebuilding my geekhouse this summer and using something like that 43/30 crank. glad that frame uses a seat tube clamp, otherwise it would be limiting.

very happy to see more gear ranges coming in stock forms to the market!

Dave
05-14-2020, 07:53 AM
I believe that the AXS FDs are made with a clamp bolt position that positions the cage lower, so smaller chain rings can be used.

My 2017 Colnago just barely works with the new Campy 48/32. It would not work with a SRAM 46, unless the FD cage sits lower, by design.

Another 3T smaller requires the cage to be about 12mm or nearly 1/2 inch lower.

It's interesting that SRAM continues to give up range with only a 13T difference between the chain rings, although there are users who would prefer an even smaller difference.

The ratio of a 50/34 = 1.47, while the new 48/32 is slightly more at 1.5. The 43/30 is 1.43 and the 46/33 is 1.39.

Black Dog
05-14-2020, 07:54 AM
This is when a triple fd will help a lot. You will still have a gap but it will shift well.