PDA

View Full Version : OT: Meanwhile, Vettel leaving Ferrari end of 2020

semdoug
05-14-2020, 06:49 AM
Sainz to be LeClercs team mate.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.breaking-sainz-confirmed-as-leclercs-ferrari-team-mate-for-2021.5dSxBMUOyivTKN67Qx28Tl.html

Dave B
05-14-2020, 06:55 AM
Even with Mercedes not having “as great” of a car as Ferrari, Hamilton sure is a hell of a driver who continues to dominate. I like humans for whatever short falls he has; he is a heck of a driver and once who could some day be compared to Schumacher.

abrandredsox
05-14-2020, 07:16 AM
Sainz confirmed for Ferrari just now.
Dani Ric to McLaren.

stev0
05-14-2020, 09:17 AM
Looks like Brundle called it.. (https://twitter.com/mbrundlef1/status/1260167385673281536?s=21):cool:

bicycletricycle
05-14-2020, 09:20 AM
who is in at Renault? Alonso?

zap
05-14-2020, 09:36 AM
Alonso is not looking to race F1 next year......preferring to wait until the new cars in '22.

csm
05-14-2020, 10:17 AM
Talent runs in the Sainz family.
Has anyone heard if the Netflix series on F1 will continue? Was there any filming this season?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fried bake
05-14-2020, 10:27 AM
Good for Sainz, but what the hell has happened to Danny Ric’s career? He needs to be in that Ferrari if he wants a chance at a championship. Red Bull to Renault to McLaren? One step back and another sideways is not the path forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bruce K
05-14-2020, 11:16 AM
Is it really Vettel leaving Ferrari or Ferrari seeing an opportunity to get younger, establish order in their team hierarchy, and shed a volatile, under performing prima donna ?

BK

zap
05-14-2020, 12:15 PM
Has anyone heard if the Netflix series on F1 will continue? Was there any filming this season?

This season???

If races do go off in July, I suspect filming will be limited in order to reduce the number of people in the paddock.

semdoug
05-14-2020, 12:30 PM
Is it really Vettel leaving Ferrari or Ferrari seeing an opportunity to get younger, establish order in their team hierarchy, and shed a volatile, under performing prima donna ?

BK

Was thinking the same

coreyaugustus
05-14-2020, 03:32 PM
Can not wait for 2021. Danny Ric in an orange car (I hope they keep the papaya orange) with a Mercedes engine? Yes, please.

tuxbailey
05-14-2020, 07:48 PM

I sure hope so, despite some of the force narratives, it is one well produced TV show.

sfscott
05-14-2020, 08:11 PM
Even with Mercedes not having “as great” of a car as Ferrari, Hamilton sure is a hell of a driver who continues to dominate. I like humans for whatever short falls he has; he is a heck of a driver and once who could some day be compared to Schumacher.

Merc has unequivocally had the best car on the grid in the turbo hybrid era by far.

I think Vetel’s leaving, aside from a big money demand was for a long term deal and assurance that he would be number 1 or co-number 1 with Leclerc.

Vetel to Red Bull in place of Albon?

I was hoping Alonso would come back to Ferrari.

jadedaid
05-14-2020, 10:28 PM

I think you're on the money here. They set themselves up properly for the future.

soulspinner
05-15-2020, 06:38 AM

Not sure the Merc isn't better than the Ferrari on most tracks over last several years. Hamilton has matured into a very consistent driver who takes what he can get and makes less and less mistakes a la Vettel. Now can somebody give us a better sounding powerplant?

soulspinner
05-15-2020, 06:39 AM
Good for Sainz, but what the hell has happened to Danny Ric’s career? He needs to be in that Ferrari if he wants a chance at a championship. Red Bull to Renault to McLaren? One step back and another sideways is not the path forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A thousand times yes.

zap
07-08-2020, 10:23 AM
Alonso is not looking to race F1 next year......preferring to wait until the new cars in '22.

Well now......https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/150415/alonso-renault-f1-return-officially-announced

tuxbailey
07-08-2020, 10:29 AM
Well now......https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/150415/alonso-renault-f1-return-officially-announced

$$$

Bruce K
07-08-2020, 10:31 AM
Riccardo now has no seat - and neither does Albon

I hear the carousel cranking up for the next round of musical chairs

BK

AZR3
07-08-2020, 10:37 AM
With Alonso confirmed it'd be funny if this started a "bumper car" type event...
Renault bump Ricciardo out early so Alonso gets some seat time before his first full season...which leads McLaren to bump Sainz so Ricciardo can drive for them in 2020...which in turn has Ferrari bump Vettel and Sainz take his 2021 seat early.

Not going to happen but with the way 2020 is going you never know :p

William
07-08-2020, 11:37 AM

BK

That sucks, I liked Albon.

Riccardo leaving RedBull made no sense to me other than he just didn't like (or couldn't take) the rivalry with Verstappen. Going to Renault seemed like a voluntary step down for no reason.

W.

AZR3
07-08-2020, 12:24 PM

BK

Where is Albon going? And Danny Ric is headed to Mclaren with Merc power for 2021

Bruce K
07-08-2020, 12:33 PM
Albon seems to be the odd man out (I forgot Riccardo had a ride).

Maybe Redbull makes a seat on the “Junior” team but then someone else is out of a ride.

Also, Haas is only doing next year because the 2021 rules have been pushed back. They are supposedly heading to IndyCar when the rule change takes effect.

BK

tuxbailey
07-08-2020, 12:36 PM

BK

???

Who is taking that seat? I think Albon has a lot of promise.

AZR3
07-08-2020, 01:01 PM
I haven’t heard anyone is replacing Albon, unless Red Bull has another driver in their driver program (which I don’t see any of them as viable) to replace Albon they’re not promoting Gasley or Kvyat again.

As for HAAS I could see them leaving, it’s a lot of money for not a lot of exposure and their partnership with Ferrari is costing them big this year, Ferrrai’s PU is way down on power and not likely to regain what was lost for a long time. So short of switching to Honda or Renault in 2022 I don’t feel they’ll stick around past 2021. That means Mag and Grosjean would be out of a drive and not sure anyone would pick up either so they’d be out.

hubbellm
07-08-2020, 01:05 PM
McLaren looked good in week 1

buckfifty
07-08-2020, 01:11 PM
Albon seems to be the odd man out (I forgot Riccardo had a ride).

Maybe Redbull makes a seat on the “Junior” team but then someone else is out of a ride.

Also, Haas is only doing next year because the 2021 rules have been pushed back. They are supposedly heading to IndyCar when the rule change takes effect.

BK

I doubt Albon will be ousted out of RBR any time soon. With the little time he's had in the RBR seat, he's shown a lot of promise just some bad luck. Vettel has shown he wants to be the ace so going back to RBR and heeding to Verstappen isn't the way to go. Renault seemed like the most likely landing spot, pairing him with Ocon. Can't hate the Fernando/Ocon pairing though
Haas... I think it's time to cut their losses and sell their gird spot

tuxbailey
07-08-2020, 01:25 PM
I doubt Albon will be ousted out of RBR any time soon. With the little time he's had in the RBR seat, he's shown a lot of promise just some bad luck. Vettel has shown he wants to be the ace so going back to RBR and heeding to Verstappen isn't the way to go. Renault seemed like the most likely landing spot, pairing him with Ocon. Can't hate the Fernando/Ocon pairing though
Haas... I think it's time to cut their losses and sell their gird spot

Hass or Williams, who goes first?

ddtn
07-08-2020, 01:59 PM
McLaren looking real good with Lando and Ricciardo next year. I know it's only the first race of a weird season but you can tell when a team is in good form. Zack Brown poaching Andreas Seidl was a winning move – like Dietrich Mateschitz stealing Newey from McLaren back in the day. Gil de Ferren has also been working on the Indy project under the radar, supposedly Alonso is going for it with McLaren this year. I can see Alonso staying with McLaren in Indy, and must say that Zack Brown has been very impressive at this game.

Albon should and will get another season if he doesn't mess it up. He seems very competent. RBR not in a bad place.

Mercedes – my prediction is Lewis will retire at the end of 2021 and Merc will pull out. All the chatter didn't come from nowhere.

I think Vettel and Haas are both goners. Vettel really only liked the V8 cars, he's been a grade below ever since the switch to V6. If I were a 4-time champ I'd walk away for a bit, and seek a comeback in a year or two. Unless somebody ends up buying Haas and keeping the Ferrari link, offering Vettel a seat...

buckfifty
07-08-2020, 02:54 PM
Hass or Williams, who goes first?

Haas, I'm not sure what is going on over there. After that whole Rich Energy fiasco and how the team is run, I can't see them as anything more than a backmarker team.

I am a bit biased and would rather have the legacy of Williams stay in F1. They are very willing to bring on a paid seat and they have a promising star in George Russell. Though with Hamilton not getting any younger, his call up to the works team might be soon...

buckfifty
07-08-2020, 02:57 PM
McLaren looking real good with Lando and Ricciardo next year. I know it's only the first race of a weird season but you can tell when a team is in good form. Zack Brown poaching Andreas Seidl was a winning move – like Dietrich Mateschitz stealing Newey from McLaren back in the day. Gil de Ferren has also been working on the Indy project under the radar, supposedly Alonso is going for it with McLaren this year. I can see Alonso staying with McLaren in Indy, and must say that Zack Brown has been very impressive at this game.

Albon should and will get another season if he doesn't mess it up. He seems very competent. RBR not in a bad place.

Mercedes – my prediction is Lewis will retire at the end of 2021 and Merc will pull out. All the chatter didn't come from nowhere.

I think Vettel and Haas are both goners. Vettel really only liked the V8 cars, he's been a grade below ever since the switch to V6. If I were a 4-time champ I'd walk away for a bit, and seek a comeback in a year or two. Unless somebody ends up buying Haas and keeping the Ferrari link, offering Vettel a seat...

Ricciardo and Lando next year will be exciting to watch. Especially with them on Mercedes power plants

Old School
07-08-2020, 03:26 PM
I sent this video to the guys at Haas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOM9d6vGeQ

AZR3
07-08-2020, 04:09 PM
Ricciardo and Lando next year will be exciting to watch. Especially with them on Mercedes power plants

The only issue they may have is the PU swap and integrating it successfully with their chassis. If they nail that I think they have a good shot at some wins.

I’m a Ferrari guy but the out look over the next few seasons doesn’t look promising and if I were Sainz I’d be crossing all my fingers and toes that Ferrari fix their PU issues.

Bruce K
07-08-2020, 04:26 PM
Rumor was Redbull was considering bringing Vettel back.

I wouldn't shed a single tear if Vettel ends up with no F1 ride next year.

BK

tuxbailey
07-08-2020, 04:30 PM

BK

I think that is a bad move. I think Albon is a perfect compliment to Max. If Vettel is having a fit with Leclec, imagining him dueling with Max.

AZR3
07-08-2020, 04:37 PM

BK

I don’t think Red Bull want Vettel back, his best years are behind him (perhaps mentally as he’s still young and physically able to be at the top level) time to walk away and drive sports cars or live a quiet life with his family

coreyaugustus
07-08-2020, 04:46 PM
I’d love to see Haas continue, but they’ve got to work more closely with Dallara on the aero kit or they’ll never get the tires to work for them. And the Ferrari PU ain’t helping the situation. Oh, and fire Grosjean. All he does is whine.

If McLaren can make that Merc PU fit the chassis, they’ll be very interesting indeed. Looking forward to seeing Danny Ric in orange.

buckfifty
07-09-2020, 07:34 AM

BK

RBR doesn't seem to chase free agents like the other teams but are committed to their system of bringing up young drivers through Alpha Tauri

Bruce K
07-09-2020, 08:10 AM
Haas is supposedly taking their operations to Indycar as they already are working with Dallara.

Grosjean is a joke - they should have dumped him long ago.

But they are committed to F1 until the new rules go into effect and with the delay, that means 1 more year.

It was a great idea that seemed to come close a few times but never quite got there.

BK

ddtn
07-09-2020, 08:15 AM
I sent this video to the guys at Haas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOM9d6vGeQ

LOL well done!

ddtn
07-09-2020, 08:22 AM
Haas is supposedly taking their operations to Indycar as they already are working with Dallara.

Grosjean is a joke - they should have dumped him long ago.

But they are committed to F1 until the new rules go into effect and with the delay, that means 1 more year.

It was a great idea that seemed to come close a few times but never quite got there.

BK

Haas leaving would have some sort of implications on F1 as whole now that Liberty is the owner. It appears Liberty's intention is to make F1 big in the US, but the only American team (very promising looking at one point) can't even survive the first 5-6 years.

The fact that Grosjean is still on the grid and Hulkenberg is looking for a job is beyond ridiculous, but then again that's the world we live in today.

Bruce K
07-09-2020, 12:01 PM
And Vettel is openly lobbying to return to RBR per ESPN report.

BK

AZR3
07-09-2020, 12:46 PM
I’ve seen a few articles saying Mateschitz has told Marko to bring Vettel back to Red Bull and other articles countering that so it seems it’s just speculation at this point. Honestly not sure why Vettel would want to come back, he’s not going to be 1 in the team, Max is their boy so he’d just be a “Rubens or a Massa”, score points and help the team but never get the glory. Plus Red Bull would have to pay him a hell of a lot more than Albon.

Bruce K
07-09-2020, 12:54 PM
It’s the team where he had the most success.

Max has, so far, failed to deliver consistency or shown the emotional maturity to be a champion.

So Vettel might provide them a 1-2 punch similar to M-B?

BK

tuxbailey
07-09-2020, 03:36 PM
Man, Leclec is so dumb. What was he thinking by going back to Monaco and party after the race.

Maybe he wasn't thinking.

AZR3
07-09-2020, 04:23 PM
It’s the team where he had the most success.

Max has, so far, failed to deliver consistency or shown the emotional maturity to be a champion.

So Vettel might provide them a 1-2 punch similar to M-B?

BK

I realize that but I think mentally he is toast, he folds under pressure and you think lining up to Max wouldn’t just amplify that? If Vettel accepts the wingman roll I think they’d beat Merc in the constructors but as you’ve seen in the past Vettel can’t handle being second fiddle (multi-21 with Webber and other occurrences)

Max has matured a lot since he first came into to F1 and if he was in the Merc along side Hamilton as long as Bottas has been I bet he’d have won a title or two. Red Bull has been in a slump due to PU issues mostly. Honda has come on strong and are still behind Merc but they’re the second best PU atm. If not for RedBull and Honda Merc would just walk away this year, they’re their only competition.

AZR3
07-09-2020, 04:25 PM
Man, Leclec is so dumb. What was he thinking by going back to Monaco and party after the race.

Maybe he wasn't thinking.

Very dumb move and it seems Bottas is also under investigation too

buckfifty
07-09-2020, 05:08 PM
Very dumb move and it seems Bottas is also under investigation too

There were pictures of Leclerc at his gf's sister's bday party and a group picture surfaced where they're not wearing masks. And I read he took pictures with fans too

However, I think Bottas' situation is better. He was able to travel back and he was only around Tiffany Cromwell, who is also in his F1 bubble (she was at the race and in the pit with Bottas)

AZR3
07-09-2020, 06:06 PM
Yeah, I read Bottas really wasn’t with anyone outside his bubble. As for LeClerc, I don’t know what to say, just poor judgment

glepore
07-09-2020, 08:09 PM
Its even more weird. Max is lobbying his team agains Vettel. Insecure?

tuxbailey
07-09-2020, 08:15 PM
Its even more weird. Max is lobbying his team agains Vettel. Insecure?

Well, it makes sense. He is the clear No. 1 now and Albon would be aggressive against other drivers but yield to him. He certainly doesn't want a Riccardo situation again by having a fan favorite 4X champion in the team.

Bruce K
07-10-2020, 05:01 AM
Well, everyone is at practice at the RedBull Ring this morning.

BK

tuxbailey
07-10-2020, 08:48 AM
Well, everyone is at practice at the RedBull Ring this morning.

BK

Disappointed that FIA didn't hand out more severe punishment other than a warning. If all the crews, etc follow the same protocol, there is no room for exception as it could jeopardize the season.

AZR3
07-11-2020, 12:09 AM
So Danny Ric swapped ends and got some bruising from his crash. Lando was having back pain but should be ok for Sunday. Merc seems to be having some more issues with Hamilton’s car and tomorrow’s qualifying could be rained out. Looks like we might have another good race this weekend.

ddtn
07-11-2020, 02:37 AM
The most interesting development is Claire Williams coming out and clarifying Toto's Williams stock buyback.

Merc will pull out at the end of 2021 and Toto will take what he can to Williams and be the Ron Dennis of Williams for the foreseeable future. This was his plan 11 years ago anyways, before Mercedes reshuffled and brought him in. Just putting it out there.

AZR3
07-11-2020, 02:06 PM
Interesting quali session, I always love seeing a wet qualifying and a mixed grid for the race. Fingers crossed for another exciting GP

choke
07-11-2020, 11:37 PM
This may be old news, but if you have Amazon Prime '1' is well worth watching. If you search for 'formula 1' it will come up. There is commentary from lots of the greats in it...Lauda, Fittapaldi, Stewart, Andretti, Ickx, etc.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2518788/

tuxbailey
07-12-2020, 11:14 AM
Gee, not a good week for Ferrari.

The last few laps were excellent. Wish Max didn't have that front wing issue and held off Bottas.

Norris is a breath of fresh air.

fignon's barber
07-12-2020, 11:49 AM
This may be old news, but if you have Amazon Prime '1' is well worth watching. If you search for 'formula 1' it will come up. There is commentary from lots of the greats in it...Lauda, Fittapaldi, Stewart, Andretti, Ickx, etc.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2518788/

I saw that a few years ago. It was so good I bought the Blue Ray, and I only own a few Blue Ray discs.

buckfifty
07-13-2020, 07:37 AM
Did anyone see the trophy presentation with the robots? That was oddly funny hahaha

ddtn
07-13-2020, 09:18 AM
Gee, not a good week for Ferrari.

The last few laps were excellent. Wish Max didn't have that front wing issue and held off Bottas.

Norris is a breath of fresh air.

I think we are witnessing the birth of Lando the superstar. He stole the show at both races. Brought back memories of Hamilton/Kubica/Vettel/Verstappen's first races.

Not sure what Ferrari can do anymore. I'd let Vettel go ASAP and get someone fresh in there to reset the dynamics within the team. Leclerc had a go at Vettel clearly because he was trying to assert his #1 status. They should probably look to 2009 when they had the worst season start but eventually kinda/sorta turned it around. They dropped Kimi one year early as he was noticeably out of it – kind of where Vettel is right now.

AZR3
07-13-2020, 10:49 AM
Ferrari’s issue is their PU and the trick(s) they used previous years that are now a no go which leaves them in a bad spot that may take years to climb out of. 2020 and most likely 2021 will be very hard. I bet Sainz is kicking himself after seeing Ferrari’s performance, McLaren is on the upswing and now he’s leaving, bummer for him.

Renault are formally requesting that the RP20’s brake ducting be compared to last seasons Merc W10. Seems to be that if the internal design is close enough to the W10 that there was some IP shared between the two teams as that part couldn’t be copied from available pictures, which is how they say they designed their W10 clone. It’ll be interesting to see what, if anything, comes of the investigation.

LegendRider
07-14-2020, 12:48 PM
I think we are witnessing the birth of Lando the superstar. He stole the show at both races. Brought back memories of Hamilton/Kubica/Vettel/Verstappen's first races.

Lando's last two laps. Very cool!

https://youtu.be/np8TpBjKziQ

Bruce K
07-14-2020, 01:03 PM
Boy it sure is looking like Vettel has nowhere left to go.

I think I read every seat for next year is now under contract.

BK

William
07-14-2020, 01:58 PM

BK

In one of Vettel's interviews last year he gave the impression that if he retired right then and there he was totally fine with it. Seems doubtful with his competitive nature, but maybe he's getting that chance?

W.

fignon's barber
07-14-2020, 02:58 PM

BK

F1 driver employment is so funny, like musical chairs. When the music stops....oops who's without a seat?

tuxbailey
07-14-2020, 04:13 PM

This is way too cool. Too bad the actual ESPN broadcast does not have this feed.

Charles M
07-15-2020, 10:17 AM
Vettel was dead at Redbull...

The guy had 4 years of traction control, and when the FIA put on the fuel flow sensors that would tell the world that the engine firing was retarded coming out of corners, Vettel got his ass kicked by 1st-year-at-Redbull Danial Ricciardo...

The guy unlearned FANTASTIC throttle control for 4 years...

The guy learned that he was KING for 4 years too...

Then reality set in and he became the biggest cry-baby in the sport and a genuine headcase when he couldn't handle pressure situations...

He's nowhere. And now he'll go to Lance Strolls daddy's team?

I LOVED Vettel when he was young... Redbull and that pompous pri(k Horner ruined him.

ddtn
07-15-2020, 10:35 AM

That is ACE. Got me palms all sweaty.

Vettel in the early days was very much like this. Perhaps Horner gave too much to him, maybe a healthy competition with Mark Webber would've made him stronger, but who really knows. Horner was under pressure to delivery, I think when it comes to driver status and tech support, Mateschitz, Marko and Newey all had significant influence. Had Mark not ****ed it up on the wet curbs in Korea 2010, he would've been WC that year and Vettel's career could've unfolded very differently.

BdaGhisallo
07-15-2020, 10:37 AM
I have never been impressed with Vettel's racing ability. He is a very fast driver when he has a good car and a clear track - of that there's no doubt - but he has never been good in wheel to wheel combat. He had so much time at the front of the grid with Red Bull when he could simply drive off into the distance that those skills, if he ever really had them, got severely blunted.

Some of his decision making when under pressure is questionable too. His move to drive into his teammate Raikkonen at the 2017 Singapore GP is a prime example. Raikkonen was no threat to him and would have moved over if need be but Vettel drove into him and Verstappen at the start and gifted a huge points haul to Hamilton.

Racing Point should stick with Perez.

ddtn
07-15-2020, 10:45 AM
I have never been impressed with Vettel's racing ability. He is a very fast driver when he has a good car and a clear track - of that there's no doubt - but he has never been good in wheel to wheel combat. He had so much time at the front of the grid with Red Bull when he could simply drive off into the distance that those skills, if he ever really had them, got severely blunted.

Some of his decision making when under pressure is questionable too. His move to drive into his teammate Raikkonen at the 2017 Singapore GP is a prime example. Raikkonen was no threat to him and would have moved over if need be but Vettel drove into him and Verstappen at the start and gifted a huge points haul to Hamilton.

Racing Point should stick with Perez.

Vettel at BMW and Toro Rosso was impressive. I wasn't the biggest fan but thought he had as much talent as anybody else. He drove some good races from mid pack. I agree he didn't develop well at RBR, but then again with 4 titles under his belt, what more could a driver ask?

There was the moment when he crashed into the back of Webber when he was a junior at Toro Rosso. That was a total brain fart moment that in hindsight, might've been a sign of some sort.

BdaGhisallo
07-15-2020, 11:34 AM
Vettel at BMW and Toro Rosso was impressive. I wasn't the biggest fan but thought he had as much talent as anybody else. He drove some good races from mid pack. I agree he didn't develop well at RBR, but then again with 4 titles under his belt, what more could a driver ask?

There was the moment when he crashed into the back of Webber when he was a junior at Toro Rosso. That was a total brain fart moment that in hindsight, might've been a sign of some sort.

And the coming together with Webber in Turkey in 2010 that somehow saw blame apportioned to Webber when Vettel drove into him.

How about Baku in 2018 when he shoulder checked Hamilton with his car. How did Vettel ever think that would redound to his benefit even if he didn't damage his own car, which he did?

Far too many mental mistakes for someone being paid 30-40 million Euro to drive.

AZR3
07-15-2020, 12:38 PM
Far too many mental mistakes for someone being paid 30-40 million Euro to drive.

That’s my thinking on Vettel, mentally he has issues and tends to fall apart when he is under pressure, he’s not consistent. Being beaten by first year team mates, Danny Ric and now LeClerc, has again messed with his head. Maybe a fresh start at RP (current rumors going around) with Stroll as a teammate he can dominate will help him regain some confidence but it’s not a winning car...or more accurately not a championship winning car with Merc on the grid.

I’m not a Vettel fan, never cared for him at RB but I’m a Ferrari fan so I cheered for him while he’s been here but I’ll be glad to see him go.

buckfifty
07-15-2020, 01:48 PM
Rumor is Vettel is in talks with Racing Point to become the face of the team when it becomes Aston Martin. Makes some sense, new team on the grid and what better way to make a splash than get a 4 time WDC

BdaGhisallo
07-15-2020, 01:53 PM
Rumor is Vettel is in talks with Racing Point to become the face of the team when it becomes Aston Martin. Makes some sense, new team on the grid and what better way to make a splash than get a 4 time WDC

At this point, RP getting rid of Perez and signing Vettel would be a downgrade.

Lance ain't going anywhere so Perez will be the one to make room.

Bruce K
07-15-2020, 02:02 PM
I am not a Vettel fan but I also would not trade up and coming youth for fading former World Champion.

Especially with a new team where I would want media savvy, iRacing capable, young studs.

BK

buckfifty
07-15-2020, 02:05 PM
At this point, RP getting rid of Perez and signing Vettel would be a downgrade.

Lance ain't going anywhere so Perez will be the one to make room.

Perez also brings in lots of sponsorship money as well

coreyaugustus
07-15-2020, 03:37 PM
Perez also brings in lots of sponsorship money as well

Let's not forget that all-important point. Perez is a decent drive, brings in money, and won't whine when things aren't in his favor.

vs.

Vettel will want tons of money, be a total wanker when Lance gets favorable treatment (which he will), and his best days are behind him.

Maybe Aston Martin (Stroll Racing) won't have the same financial need as Racing Point/Force India have historically had, but I don't know how spendy they want to be right away. For my money, I'd keep Perez, but silly season is called that for a reason.

I just hope the 2021 Aston livery is awesome.

ddtn
07-15-2020, 03:49 PM
Turns out nobody is a Vettel fan!

Yeah if they let Perez go after what he'd proven and done for the team, then it speaks volumes about what kind of team it is. I don't see this whole thing going very far – Aston Martin are not exactly in a good spot themselves.

Checo is fast and a good guy, but good guys tend to get the door shut in their faces. Just ask Hulkenberg.

buckfifty
07-16-2020, 07:01 AM
Turns out nobody is a Vettel fan!

Yeah if they let Perez go after what he'd proven and done for the team, then it speaks volumes about what kind of team it is. I don't see this whole thing going very far – Aston Martin are not exactly in a good spot themselves.

Checo is fast and a good guy, but good guys tend to get the door shut in their faces. Just ask Hulkenberg.

Kind of the bad thing about motorsport, anybody with a bit of talent and boat load of money can get their way into the sport.

Maybe we might see Lawrence realizing Lance might not have it and urge him to give his seat to Vettel. A Vettel/Perez pairing would make news

Bruce K
07-16-2020, 07:14 AM
Given that Perez in the RP was the fastest car on the track in the late stages of Styrian, and that Horner said in an interview that Red Bull was worried about the pace of Perez and the RP, letting him go would be really dumb.

But if Vettel is bringing more $$$ than Perez anything could happen.

BK

BdaGhisallo
07-16-2020, 09:35 AM
Kind of the bad thing about motorsport, anybody with a bit of talent and boat load of money can get their way into the sport.

It's always been like this. For a long time we would see single entrants in F1 who had bought a chassis and an engine and tried to go racing. It died out in the 80s as the big manufacturers entered and the sport got too expensive for well heeled amateurs.

As for Stroll? Who cares? Stroll Sr bought the team and saved it and hundreds of jobs with it. If he wants to put his kid in the team, so what? It's his money he's spending so let him go to it. If I had that kind of cash and my kid wanted to race, I'd probably do the same. On top of that, Stroll Jr isn't that bad of a driver that he's making a fool of his father so let get on with it.