PDA

View Full Version : Giro shoe fit vs shimano?

Schredder
05-13-2020, 12:09 PM
Hello

How do Giro shoes fit versus shimano? I wear 45 in shimano. Are they typically narrower?

Thanks

Chris

oldguy00
05-13-2020, 12:18 PM
Hello

How do Giro shoes fit versus shimano? I wear 45 in shimano. Are they typically narrower?

Thanks

Chris

I found Giro to run maybe half a size smaller, and narrower....YMMV....

mktng
05-13-2020, 12:36 PM
Alot narrower.
44 North Wave
45 Shimano

44.5 Giro. Too short/ tight at toes and too narrow.

45 Giro. Too long and narrow.

I'd need a 44.75 wide version [emoji14]

madsciencenow
05-13-2020, 12:57 PM
I wear 43 in Shim, Giro and Sidi. The Shim toe box is probably a bit wider than the Giro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jdg68
05-13-2020, 01:13 PM
Agree that they are about one half size smaller than Shimano. In my case this has been great as I was always between sizes in Shimano and Giro fit has been great so far.

weiwentg
05-13-2020, 01:30 PM
You might also want to measure your foot length, and then compare it to the manufacturers' length charts if you can find them. Lake has a nice illustration (https://lakecycling.com/pages/sizing-charts) on how to do this.

It's sometimes a bit hard to find the shoe size charts. Do also remember that manufacturers have different lasts. I'm not sure what Giro's lasts are, but Shimano's Dynalast covers most of their high performance footware. Lake has a few lasts, and detailed charts.

Shimano has a not very exact chart on their page (https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/apparel-accessories/s-phyre/SH-RC901.html) for the RC901 shoes (click Adaptive Size Spec). If you're 44 in Shimano's, the last length is around 280mm. The exact length should have been written on the box you got, but I assume you don't have it. I remember that my size 40 Shimanos were listed as 252mm long.

I'm having a lot of trouble finding Giro's current set of size charts. I know I was looking at Giros last year, and that the charts were on the website. However, Contender Bicycles has a Giro chart (https://contenderbicycles.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Giro-Shoe-Size-Guide-768x359.jpg). I'm not 100% sure it's current, but it suggests that a size 44 Giro is around 274mm or so. I have a pair of size 40 Giro Empire E70s, and I believe the last is 255mm.

In my size, then, Giro and Shimano appear to have similar length. It looks like in your size, it's another story.

There are volume differences, and everybody I've heard has said that Giro is usually narrower (and the top end Empire road shoes may be very narrow), but Shimano is usually a bit wider. The E70 knit actually doesn't seem as narrow as everyone else says; I think Shimanos fit me well, but the E70 really pleasantly surprised me. However, it's a bit low volume, so there's not as much room for bulkier insoles.

Basically, there are a lot of parameters in shoe lasts apart from the length. However, manufacturers don't even reliably disclose the length.

Schredder
05-13-2020, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the replies!

bikser
05-13-2020, 04:28 PM
I agree with what most everyone is saying. E.g. wear 41-41.5 in Shimano, but need a 42 in Giro. Shimano more toe room in general.

phcollard
05-13-2020, 05:29 PM
If you need wider shoes look for Giro HV models.

Clancy
05-14-2020, 07:29 AM
Laughing because if I were the OP and read through the replies, I believe I’d be more confused then ever.

I wonder if it helped if we describe our shoe fit a little better? Something like this. Plus I could use some advice on the Shimano RC9’s fit.

I wear a 43.5 in a Sidi Genius 7 and the fit is very comfortable. 44 in Giro Empire but the toe box was a little snug. I stretched the sides with a spoon and it helped.

The Fizik R3 in a 43.5 is a tad too long, the 43 just a tad too short.

I typically wear 9.5 in shoes. Feet tend to be a little wide and I prefer a wider toe box. I currently am wearing Altra’s running shoes in a size 10 but I found Altra’s run a tad small. A 9.5 in Johnson & Murphy’s fit like a glove. I can buy that brand without trying on. At last report, they’re not making cycling shoes!

I’ve been looking at the Shimano RC9’s. Does anyone have any fit recommendations?

Merlmabase
05-14-2020, 05:40 PM
Laughing because if I were the OP and read through the replies, I believe I’d be more confused then ever.

Never mind the replies, I got confused just comparing my shimano and giro shoes.

Giro Terraduro HV: 47/13
Shimano CT41: 46/11.2???

axel23
05-14-2020, 06:08 PM
I wear a 44 in Giro and in Sidi. They seem about the same to me.

jadedaid
05-14-2020, 10:33 PM

I wonder if it helped if we describe our shoe fit a little better? Something like this. Plus I could use some advice on the Shimano RC9’s fit.

The RC9s are wider at the front and more supple than the Giro Empire shoes. I tried a bunch of these when buying and I had to size up on the Giro to the point where I had too much space at the front and they were still too narrow. The Giro's somehow felt less comfortable. I don't remember how I felt about the Fizik's.

I wear a size 9 in Allbirds, Nike and Adidas pretty consistently. Slightly wider foot than most but not enough to warrant HV shoes. I have ridden both 43 and 42.5 RC9 and ended up keeping the 42.5. Somehow they are more comfortable a year later. The only flaw with them is that the s-works 7 looks better...

boywonder
05-14-2020, 10:54 PM
Giro vs Shimano . Shimano shorter widerish Giro longer narowerish

boywonder
05-14-2020, 10:55 PM
This