PDA

View Full Version : Low Salt Diet

Rpoole8537
05-13-2020, 07:54 AM
My doctor wants me to go on a low salt diet to minimize symptoms of Meniere's Disease. I’ve been working toward that for about six weeks and realize that I need a good book on the subject to help guide me. The local library is closed, so I need to be able order something. Does anyone have a great book that they found useful?
Thanks for your recommendations.

oldpotatoe
05-13-2020, 08:01 AM
My doctor wants me to go on a low salt diet to minimize symptoms of Meniere's Disease. I’ve been working toward that for about six weeks and realize that I need a good book on the subject to help guide me. The local library is closed, so I need to be able order something. Does anyone have a great book that they found useful?

https://www.amazon.com/Living-Low-Sodium-understanding-relationship-successful-ebook/dp/B07M79JQMX/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Book+on+treating+Meniere%27s+Disease&qid=1589374750&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzUjdXMUxEVU8xM0paJ mVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzgzMDgyMzkxUkFHSFE4M1M5RSZlbmN yeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDQ2Mzc4MzhQTkdQNUxEWDRIRyZ3aWRnZ XROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05 vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.amazon.com/Mind-Over-Menieres-Conquered-Disease-ebook/dp/B0147O63PA/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Book+on+understanding+Meniere%27s+Disease&qid=1589374814&sr=8-3

charliedid
05-13-2020, 09:07 AM

Hi there,

Sorry for your troubles but I'm curious which symptoms you have experienced and how it was diagnosed?

Feel free to PM me if you like.

Charlie

sleepyfelix
05-13-2020, 09:21 AM
I have a friend who got diagnosed last year. I'm not sure if she has made dietary changes yet to help but I'd be interested in any info people can share so I can pass it on.

fmradio516
05-13-2020, 09:33 AM
My moms got really bad heart failure and cant have any salt whatsoever otherwise her lungs fill up with water and she cant breath. Its really tough and the biggest thing is that you cant eat out most of the time.

Believe it or not, i think the easiest cuisine to eat out for her is chinese since everything is made from scratch and at least in NY, meat and stuff isnt usually marinated. So if you tell them no salt, they can do it, even if sometimes the chef slips and puts salt(you can usually tell if there is salt or not), you just send it back.

Good luck!

Seramount
05-13-2020, 09:56 AM
simply eliminating processed foods will take a lot of sodium out of your diet.

for example, look at just about any canned soup...the sodium content is crazy high.

as I reduced the amount of sodium I consumed, my taste buds re-calibrated and foods tasted fine with no added salt. restaurant food always tastes overly salty to me.

rarely use salt when I cook, bought a small container of sea salt about 5 years ago and still have over half of it.

Tony T
05-13-2020, 10:17 AM
Stay away from canned Soup.

BobbyJones
05-13-2020, 11:30 AM
simply eliminating processed foods will take a lot of sodium out of your diet.

for example, look at just about any canned soup...the sodium content is crazy high.

as I reduced the amount of sodium I consumed, my taste buds re-calibrated and foods tasted fine with no added salt. restaurant food always tastes overly salty to me.

rarely use salt when I cook, bought a small container of sea salt about 5 years ago and still have over half of it.

^^This. I'm in a very similar situation.

The secret is the recalibration of your taste buds and learning to enjoy natural flavor. I did learn some decent tricks from Joel Fuhrman's books about coaxing more flavor with less fat and salt.

wc1934
05-13-2020, 01:17 PM
My moms got really bad heart failure and cant have any salt whatsoever otherwise her lungs fill up with water and she cant breath. Its really tough and the biggest thing is that you cant eat out most of the time.

Believe it or not, i think the easiest cuisine to eat out for her is chinese since everything is made from scratch and at least in NY, meat and stuff isnt usually marinated. So if you tell them no salt, they can do it, even if sometimes the chef slips and puts salt(you can usually tell if there is salt or not), you just send it back.

Good luck!

sans soy sauce!!

Must start by talking with her doc, but here are tons of articles out there - e.g.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/179344-no-salt-diet/

weiwentg
05-13-2020, 01:46 PM
Not answering the question as posed. However, I'd just urge some general caution for endurance athletes, because we eliminate a lot of salt through perspiration. The exact amount does vary from person to person, and you'll need to experiment. However, cut your sodium way too low on riding days in the heat, and you'll seriously impair your performance and your enjoyment.

Hope all goes well for you!

fmradio516
05-13-2020, 03:22 PM
sans soy sauce!!

Must start by talking with her doc, but here are tons of articles out there - e.g.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/179344-no-salt-diet/

Thank you for that!

Rpoole8537
05-14-2020, 01:04 PM
https://www.amazon.com/Living-Low-Sodium-understanding-relationship-successful-ebook/dp/B07M79JQMX/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Book+on+treating+Meniere%27s+Disease&qid=1589374750&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzUjdXMUxEVU8xM0paJ mVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzgzMDgyMzkxUkFHSFE4M1M5RSZlbmN yeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDQ2Mzc4MzhQTkdQNUxEWDRIRyZ3aWRnZ XROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05 vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.amazon.com/Mind-Over-Menieres-Conquered-Disease-ebook/dp/B0147O63PA/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Book+on+understanding+Meniere%27s+Disease&qid=1589374814&sr=8-3

Thanks for the suggestions. I ordered Mind Over Ménière! Reviews were excellent.

Rpoole8537
05-14-2020, 01:14 PM
Hi there,

Sorry for your troubles but I'm curious which symptoms you have experienced and how it was diagnosed?

Feel free to PM me if you like.

Charlie

I had a three month period of viral inflammation in my left ear. I was terribly dizzy, fatigued and lots of ear pressure. Then it morphed into Ménière's Disease. Doctors appeared to be clueless. A neurotologist diagnosed me using my reported symptoms, a hearing exam, balance tasks and eye movement. I no longer have dizziness or vertigo, but episodes of hearing loss and terrible tinnitus.
Trying to control with be Betahistine and diet, but salt is everywhere, and I don’t eat a lot of processed foods. I did have one steroid shot in the ear, not something I recommend!!!