PDA

View Full Version : Moots Vamoots SL replacement decals

harblhat
05-12-2020, 08:09 PM
So the decals on my Vamoots SL are starting to peel and are looking worse for wear. I emailed Moots and they said that they don't carry anything with the Vamoots SL name anymore, but I can buy replacement decals for everything else (downtube, stays, etc.): https://shop.moots.com/collections/replacement-decals/products/moots-frame-decal-kit?variant=956454809.

This sounds vain (does it?), but those Vamoots SL top tube decals are really what I'm after.

Anybody have a lead?

I've tried gluing the peeling parts back with some clear glue, but it doesn't look the same.

54ny77
05-12-2020, 08:13 PM
If you have a 54cm, without the proper decals the bike will ride terribly forever and you should sell it. I can assist with that.

:D

mulp
05-12-2020, 08:25 PM
I'm having the same problem but didn't want to send the $45 to buy them from moots, so I just got some generic black Moots decals from ebay, still missing the Vamoots SL decal though, havent been able to source those anywhere else.

dbnm
05-12-2020, 08:45 PM
I removed mine from my Vamoots RSL.

gained 3-4 watts

Leyczo
05-12-2020, 08:53 PM
Are the decals just vinyl? It isn't that hard to get custom vinyl cut, especially if you can find the font or a flat image of the logo. You can also buy pretty cheap vinyl cutters if you are going to do something like this more than once.

texbike
05-12-2020, 09:47 PM
So the decals on my Vamoots SL are starting to peel and are looking worse for wear. I emailed Moots and they said that they don't carry anything with the Vamoots SL name anymore, but I can buy replacement decals for everything else (downtube, stays, etc.): https://shop.moots.com/collections/replacement-decals/products/moots-frame-decal-kit?variant=956454809.

This sounds vain (does it?), but those Vamoots SL top tube decals are really what I'm after.

Anybody have a lead?

I've tried gluing the peeling parts back with some clear glue, but it doesn't look the same.

I'm having the same problem but didn't want to send the $45 to buy them from moots, so I just got some generic black Moots decals from ebay, still missing the Vamoots SL decal though, havent been able to source those anywhere else.

Are you only needing the Vamoots-SL decal that's on the top tube or are you needing a complete set? Send a note to SSSINK (www.sssink.com ) and see if they have any Vamoots-SL decals in stock. They were the company that was making them for Moots.

I reached out to them recently for a set of original style Vamoots (non SL) decals since Moots no longer sells the old-style font. Unfortunately, SSSink didn't have a complete set of Vamoots decals, but they had most of them. I was working on having a a complete set made (including the Pi Tech tubing decal for the base Vamoots), but the prices were pretty high for a run of 5 sets (just over $100 per set). A complete set of base decals without the Pi Tech tubing decals could be had for $65. There was a minimum order size which is why I was looking at 5 sets.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Oh, and if anyone has a lead on a company that can make a run of these decals, a friend of mine has a complete set of original, old font decals that could be scanned or used to produce the patterns.

Texbike

brewsmith
05-12-2020, 10:01 PM
Pm'd

Spdntrxi
05-12-2020, 10:58 PM
even the green 6/4 Ti.. I have the Compact -SL and would be interested. The 6/4 stickers is pretty sturdy looking

pdonk
05-13-2020, 06:55 AM
If you end up doing a custom batch, please let me know. I may be interested depending on cost.

iPaul
05-13-2020, 07:48 AM
Just include the SL need when ordering. That’s what I did for my compact-SL and got the top tube items.

happycampyer
05-13-2020, 08:08 AM
If someone puts in an order, lmk. A spare set would be handy.

texbike
05-13-2020, 09:29 AM
If you end up doing a custom batch, please let me know. I may be interested depending on cost.

If someone puts in an order, lmk. A spare set would be handy.

Good to know that there's demand for decals with the older style (pre 2010) font! Unfortunately, Moots only offers the newer style decals.

SSSink said that the decals are screen-printed and that there is a minimum order of $200 to print a new set (they still have the original patterns). I was thinking that if we could put together a group of people that would like an older set of the decals, we could reduce the cost per set. Without the PiTech tubing decal, they stated that the cost (without shipping) for 5 sets of decals would be $325. WITH the PiTech decal, it would be $550 (the PiTech decal requires a 6 color sheet as opposed to only 2 for the basic decals).

Anyway, it would be interesting if there was another entity that could produce the decals as another option. I do have access to a complete set that could be used as a pattern.

Texbike

harblhat
05-13-2020, 09:49 AM
If you have a 54cm, without the proper decals the bike will ride terribly forever and you should sell it. I can assist with that.

That might explain why it's been feeling off lately!

Thanks to all - brewsmith came to the rescue with a complete set he was willing to part with.

It's surprising and not surprising that someone knew who made the original decals for Moots. I love this place. The custom order is a good idea, and I would've jumped on it if I hadn't gotten lucky.

scoobydrew
05-13-2020, 11:33 AM
I'd be interested in ordering reproduction decals for my Compact, specifically the "Compact" decal for the top tube.

Is anyone here a graphic designer or familiar with it? Not sure what the cost would be for manually reproducing the decals and finding a shop to do it. I looked into this a while back and it seems like the downtube and seattube "MOOTS" decals use a Futura Extra Bold font (or some variation of Futura) on the pre-2010 models. Each letter is also outlined in gray, at least on my 2005 model. The top tube decal is probably an italicized version of Futura.

texbike - I might have a spare Pi Tech decal (circa mid-2000s) laying around in my box of spares somewhere. I'll have to do some digging this weekend.

texbike
05-13-2020, 11:51 AM
I'd be interested in ordering reproduction decals for my Compact, specifically the "Compact" decal for the top tube.

Is anyone here a graphic designer or familiar with it? Not sure what the cost would be for manually reproducing the decals and finding a shop to do it. I looked into this a while back and it seems like the downtube and seattube "MOOTS" decals use a Futura Extra Bold font (or some variation of Futura) on the pre-2010 models. Each letter is also outlined in gray, at least on my 2005 model. The top tube decal is probably an italicized version of Futura.

texbike - I might have a spare Pi Tech decal (circa mid-2000s) laying around in my box of spares somewhere. I'll have to do some digging this weekend.

That would be great!

As mentioned above, I have access to a complete set of original decals that could be used as a pattern if anyone knows of a good production shop that could make them for us at a reasonable cost.

Texbike

texbike
05-19-2020, 09:50 PM
Big thanks to Scoobydrew for hooking me up with a Pi Tech tubing decal for my Moots refinish. Wishing you tons of great karma for your generosity!

Texbike

Fookie
12-25-2020, 11:41 AM
I was just looking for the font name to cut some black vinyl on my Silhouette for my 2012 MOOTS PsycloX to replace the dated white with silver outline.
Thank you for the information. They turned out great!!!

Matthew
12-25-2020, 03:39 PM
There's a set of Psychlo X RSL decals on ebay right now that may work. Might be slightly larger due to the oversize downtube though. I bought 2 sets from this seller and they are legit decals from Moots.

kppolich
04-23-2021, 10:48 PM
Anyone else have a set of these kicking around?
Moots Vamoots SL?

I'd love a fresh set in white, but would also be down for a set in black if someone is able to make them.

Ken_F
01-09-2023, 09:46 AM
Bump on this thread

Anyone find a good source for legacy moots stickers?

I'm looking for a set for my CR frame and a stem...would be great to get black, silver, or matte silver.

I can get the set in black on the website, but was interested in the other colors and the CR.

...my mph has noticeably dipped with the pealing :banana:

Thanks!

kppolich
01-09-2023, 09:49 AM
Last set I got was from here:
https://velocals.com

However, they have since closed. See bottom of that page for their recommended decal providers in your country.

many_styles
01-09-2023, 12:34 PM
Bump!

If anyone has a spare PiTech decal for 3/2.5 Ti (Vamoots CR), let me know!

When I got my Moots painted (painted logos!) that’s one decal I forgot to source.

Best,
Alex

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

many_styles
01-09-2023, 12:40 PM
That would be great!

As mentioned above, I have access to a complete set of original decals that could be used as a pattern if anyone knows of a good production shop that could make them for us at a reasonable cost.

Texbike

I’m wondering if Sticker Mule is a service that can be used. I’m a Designer, and if you send me the originals, I can do my best to reproduce.

If someone can research if Sticker Mule’s transfer stickers would be sufficient for what most people want. Looks like black or white.

If the logo/font needs an outline, maybe the clear sticker option from Sticker Mule can be an option too: https://www.stickermule.com/products/clear-stickers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spdntrxi
01-09-2023, 01:06 PM
watching this thread :cool:

C40_guy
01-09-2023, 01:25 PM

Check out signs.com and makestickers.com. I just made some inside window (clear background) decals for my car, as I had transferred an original college decal too many times and it was old and tired (College bookstore hadn't sold them in a long time...). I also made up a couple of bumper style stickers for my SylvanSport Go Easy trailer. (Anybody need a Cape Cod Tunnel Permit decal? :) )

You upload your own graphics, select the material and size and order. Each decal runs $5-$10 or so and they come pretty quickly.

Signs.com might be your best bet for a bike graphic...you'll end up with a clear rectangular decal that may or may not work on a bike tube...but for a couple of bucks... (pro tip...if you need two, you can double up the graphic on a single decal and cut after receiving). Note...if neither of these services have the right size/shape for a clear decal, there may be other services that do. These are not rub-on decals that leave just the lettering itself, by the way. There may be services that offer that option...

Matthew
01-09-2023, 02:57 PM
Hey Alex, I can check my stash of decals to see if I have an extra PiTech decal. I've bought several Moots decals from them over the years. May have a spare hanging around. Will be able to check tonight after work. Matt

Steve in SLO
01-12-2023, 09:47 PM
Well my, my look what I just dug up.
Come visit the classified section for details.

texbike
01-13-2023, 08:28 AM
Check out signs.com and makestickers.com. I just made some inside window (clear background) decals for my car, as I had transferred an original college decal too many times and it was old and tired (College bookstore hadn't sold them in a long time...). I also made up a couple of bumper style stickers for my SylvanSport Go Easy trailer. (Anybody need a Cape Cod Tunnel Permit decal? :) )

You upload your own graphics, select the material and size and order. Each decal runs $5-$10 or so and they come pretty quickly.

Signs.com might be your best bet for a bike graphic...you'll end up with a clear rectangular decal that may or may not work on a bike tube...but for a couple of bucks... (pro tip...if you need two, you can double up the graphic on a single decal and cut after receiving). Note...if neither of these services have the right size/shape for a clear decal, there may be other services that do. These are not rub-on decals that leave just the lettering itself, by the way. There may be services that offer that option...

These are great suggestions. Thank you!

I’m wondering if Sticker Mule is a service that can be used. I’m a Designer, and if you send me the originals, I can do my best to reproduce.

If someone can research if Sticker Mule’s transfer stickers would be sufficient for what most people want. Looks like black or white.

If the logo/font needs an outline, maybe the clear sticker option from Sticker Mule can be an option too: https://www.stickermule.com/products/clear-stickers

OK, so I still have access to the decals. However, the owner isn't willing to ship them out to someone to replicate due to concerns about damage or not being returned. However, I can get a full-size scan of them. Would that work? If so, let me know the format you would need.

Thx!

Texbike

many_styles
01-13-2023, 02:50 PM
Text,

Yeah a hi-res scan would work and I can trace it in Illustrator!

Best,
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

martl
01-13-2023, 04:45 PM
So the decals on my Vamoots SL are starting to peel and are looking worse for wear. I emailed Moots and they said that they don't carry anything with the Vamoots SL name anymore, but I can buy replacement decals for everything else (downtube, stays, etc.): https://shop.moots.com/collections/replacement-decals/products/moots-frame-decal-kit?variant=956454809

Anybody have a lead?

Afaik the moots font is a pretty standard one (Helvetica fat or something). A friend who works in a printing business did some for my Vamoots fork blades that looked identical to my untrained eye.

https://fotos.rennrad-news.de/f/z4/w7/z4w79b5wcek9/large_DSC_4979_1000.jpg?0 (https://fotos.rennrad-news.de/p/312762)