PDA

View Full Version : can i swap my qr style thru axles for bolt on ones?

boomforeal
05-12-2020, 06:50 AM
last year i bought a used used gravel frame and fork, which came with 12mm qr-style thru axles front and rear. the front thru axle threads into what looks like a metal insert in the carbon fork, while the rear thru axle threads into an indexible non-driveside nut

over the last few months they've both loosened off or opened up intermittently, despite repeated efforts to keep them cleaned, greased, etc. and they require what seems like way too much effort and precision at the lever to get the cam to cinch things down without play/slop

so my question is: can i simply replace them with straight-up bolt on thru axles, or is there a chance the frame and/or fork was designed to require a qr/cam style axle?

wallymann
05-12-2020, 07:24 AM
yes, they exist...you just need to find a bolt-on T/A with the same clamping interface -- i've seen flat (like yours) and conical.

https://robertaxleproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Lightning-Bolt-Ons_Nature-Shots48.jpg

boomforeal
05-12-2020, 07:36 AM
yeah, those are the kind i'm thinking of. what i'm wondering/worrying about is whether my frame or fork hardware could require the use of a qr style thru axle, and whether i could be in for any problems switching to a bolt-on style thru axle

sleepyfelix
05-12-2020, 07:52 AM
Remember to match up the correct thread pitch too, and take an allen key when riding...!

boomforeal
05-12-2020, 08:41 AM
Remember to match up the correct thread pitch too, and take an allen key when riding...!

10-4 on both counts. the rear axle has a weird pitch so might be a bit tricky to source

ColonelJLloyd
05-12-2020, 09:02 AM
10-4 on both counts. the rear axle has a weird pitch so might be a bit tricky to source

I have a buddy's GR270 hanging in the basement and these cam style thru axles just don't make any damn sense to me. What a PITA for what is a dead simple system.

I'd get axles from Paragon (DT Swiss are good too). They make what you need with a flat head (can use M5 or M6 hex or M12 wrench) or lever.

Without going down to pull that axle and confirm, I don't think there's anything special about the rear axle. It's 12x1.0.

boomforeal
05-12-2020, 01:15 PM
I have a buddy's GR270 hanging in the basement and these cam style thru axles just don't make any damn sense to me. What a PITA for what is a dead simple system.

I'd get axles from Paragon (DT Swiss are good too). They make what you need with a flat head (can use M5 or M6 hex or M12 wrench) or lever.

Without going down to pull that axle and confirm, I don't think there's anything special about the rear axle. It's 12x1.0.

that's the f/f i have. thanks for confirming my suspicions re. the crappiness of the axles. heading down to the LBS to order up some bolt-on's

robt57
05-12-2020, 01:29 PM
Now that my disc Helix has an allen/key on board for the ENVE front TA. This makes me think getting rid of the rear for a bolt on with same allen key makes sense.

eddief
05-12-2020, 01:35 PM
it came with thru axles that had no lever and required an allen key. turns out Specialized uses thru axles with cone shaped washers next to the fork. and not too many if any aftermarket levers are available with conical washers. i wanted levers and DT Swiss has them with removable levers at a steep price. Turns out Specialized did use fixed lever axles in 2017 and a shop had a set for a price way less than the ones from DT.

Kyle h
05-12-2020, 01:41 PM

I like the DT ones with a removable lever. I bought those for my road frame and just keep the lever on the rear wheel axle. Not that it would be a huge hassle to pull an Allen wrench from a flat kit but though.

ColonelJLloyd
05-12-2020, 02:27 PM
it came with thru axles that had no lever and required an allen key. turns out Specialized uses thru axles with cone shaped washers next to the fork. and not too many if any aftermarket levers are available with conical washers. i wanted levers and DT Swiss has them with removable levers at a steep price. Turns out Specialized did use fixed lever axles in 2017 and a shop had a set for a price way less than the ones from DT.

That's not exactly the issue the OP is having. The DT and Paragon axles that have a lever just use the lever as an aid in turning them. These dumb Lynskey axles have a cam.