PDA

View Full Version : OT BMW 525i?

twin
01-20-2007, 04:34 PM
If you have or have had a 1996 525i how did you like it? Did you have any problems? What do you think about them? Thanks

SoCalSteve
01-20-2007, 04:51 PM
I had a 1992 525i that was a great car. Was a bit quirky in a few ways, but very very tight. Owned it for about 3 years. It got stolen, stripped and burned to the ground. Thank G@d for insurance!

I I also had a 1998 528i for about 6 years. Only sold it because I got really tired of driving a stick in Los Angeles traffic. It was a great car...even though the windows rattled a bit.

Sorry I could be more help.

Steve

ThasFACE
01-20-2007, 04:55 PM
If you have or have had a 1996 525i how did you like it? Did you have any problems? What do you think about them? Thanks

Never owned one, but I have driven several e34's and really like them in general. It's my understanding that they are very reliable, but, as with all bmw's, will be relatively expensive to repair when something does go wrong. The upside is that these cars are crazy easy to work on, so, if you are so inclined, most basic maintenance call be handled with a proper manual and a proper beer.

There was an issue with some of the engines regarding the kind of aluminum used for the blocks; alusil vs nikasil, or something like that. Had to do with american-grade fuel causing corrosion or something.

Anyway, take a look at bimmerforums.com. There is a ton of info there.

fierte_poser
01-20-2007, 06:11 PM
There was an issue with some of the engines regarding the kind of aluminum used for the blocks; alusil vs nikasil, or something like that. Had to do with american-grade fuel causing corrosion or something.

This issue only applies to the E34 and some E39 *V8* models. The inline six cylinders (525i) didn't have these issues.

Kent

fierte_poser
01-20-2007, 06:17 PM

This engine will be bulletproof, although the cooling system will require a complete overhaul (radiator, water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing, radiator hoses, maybe an expansion tank) every 60-80k or so. Make sure you know the history of the cooling system maintenance. If the cooling system failed on the road, that has the tendency to lead to subsequent hot spots within the engine and the head gasket is compromised. Head gaskets are fairly pricey.

Hope this helps,
Kent
94 325i
99 528iT

jhcakilmer
01-20-2007, 09:23 PM
I've got the 525iT (wagon) with 205k miles, and it runs great still. I need to replace the water pump soon, but hey after 200k miles on the original isn't bad. The 6 shooter is the way to go, they had quite a few problems with the 8. Overall, great car, very smooth especially on the highway.

ThasFACE
01-21-2007, 03:07 AM
I've got the 525iT (wagon) with 205k miles, and it runs great still. I need to replace the water pump soon, but hey after 200k miles on the original isn't bad. The 6 shooter is the way to go, they had quite a few problems with the 8. Overall, great car, very smooth especially on the highway.

I hope that I didn't sound like I was saying anything 'bad' about the e34. Those bimmers are _very_ solid and should generally be very satisfying to drive (assuming that you opt for a manual; but I am sort of a snob in that respect). The 6 is more reliable, but the 8 will have more 'tooth.'

Either way, though, you can't really go wrong. Be sure to inspect the vehicle's maintenance history (with an eye to recommended replacement intervals) and you should be in good shape.

If you can get an m3, though, do that.

Gratuitous photo of my non-bike transportation.

Gothard
01-21-2007, 05:41 AM
I've had several over the years culminating with a rare M5 touring (1995).
They are tanks. With minimal maintenance they will go 250K miles.
Front suspension is very precise, but also sensitive to imbalanced wheels.
Tend to skid/slip at the mere mention of snow.
Sportseats are supremely confortable.
Radiators go at about 100K miles, water pumps a bit sooner.
The cabin pollen filter clogs up quite easily and is a major PITA to replace.
Handbrake goes out of whack regularly (a moot point with an auto though).

A.L.Breguet
01-21-2007, 06:01 AM
Z3 Coupe.

When in a dark color, this is the best looking modern mass production car on the road.

Climb01742
01-21-2007, 06:15 AM
i had a 96 540 wagon. what a blast to drive. bmw's v8 is one of the world's great engines. luckily, nothing major ever went wrong. small things did need repair and they weren't cheap. but it was a solid, tight car. bmw dealers are arrogant pr!cks which is why i sold the 540, just got tired of doing them the favor of being their customer. which is a shame 'cause the cars are sweet.

Ken Robb
01-21-2007, 02:20 PM
I sold my 1992 325i to a pal in 1998 with 99,000 miles on it. It now has 135,000 miles and still runs very strong. It is on its 3rd radiator and water pump.

Join BMWCCA for advice, support, discounts, and rebates when buying new or CPO used cars. In addition several of my best friends over the last 20 years were met at Club events.

In the "Roundel" the club magazine you will find tech tips and advisor contacts, plus ads for independent repair shops, discounted factory and aftermarket parts. Some of the non-factory parts are big improvements over BMW originals like brass radiators and metal thermostat housings to replace the plastic/aluminum and all plastic factory parts. The factory is forced to use some less-than long-lived components to comply with German "Green Laws" that require a large percentage of easily recycleable components in cars made in Germany.

The amazing thing is that if you keep up the maintenance a BMW with 200,000 miles is still a treat to drive. Here in California we get hit with 8% +/- sales tax plus about 2% registration fee on new and used car sales. The 2% FEE IS REDUCED DIRECT LINE OVER 9 YEARS. This makes it financially more appealing to keep a car a long time. No salt eating up the bodies helps too.

We still have my 1998 M3 with 125,000 miles and 2004 330i w/performance package at 37,000 miles. M3 is on its second radiator and water pump. If we used it for long trips I would repalce them now when I can get cheap parts and labor from my favorite local independent shop rather than chance getting stuck in Barstow on a Sunday afternoon.

FWIW, the 3 BMW dealers I have dealt with in San Diego County are all beyond wonderful with customer service and I think that BMW of North America is putting LOTS of pressure on all of their dealers to do the same.

SD BMW used to be rude and nasty beyond my comprehension but Roger Penske bought out the jerk who inherited it from his dad and it is now wonderful.

Ozz
01-21-2007, 04:14 PM
My Mom has a 1995 525i with about 200K miles on it. It has been a pretty good car...expensive to work on, but she has not had many problems. I think there was an oil pump issue early on, but nothing for the past 5 years other than regular oil changes and tires.

jhcakilmer
01-21-2007, 05:35 PM
I have never been a fan of dealers......especially the highend market vehicles. I've owned a volvo, and several bimmers and I always find a well qualified mechanic........espcially someone that specializes in foreign cars.
Also, They are not hard to work on, and don't really require any special tools, so I do most of the matience work myself. More major items....such as some of the suspension work, and electrical I would definitely take to a mechanic.
Also, you can get a lot of parts for very good prices, either brand new, or used with low miles, their are several car sites out their, one is http://www.bavauto.com/........and I've had really good luck with http://car-part.com/......it is kind of a classified website for salvage yards, and eom distributors.

AgilisMerlin
01-21-2007, 05:52 PM
just got rid of a 95' volvo 850. Did all the work on it bymself. Had a OBDC in the engine comp. told me the fault codes and the remedies were looked up on the net.

Mid nineties and earlier, still had quite extensive room in the engine comp. to work on things.

The newer cars seem to have very little room in the compartment. Lots of electronics.

have a newer volvo now. came from hawaii, and originated in Europe. Stick/wagon t5.

i like euro cars.

going to have to buy a obdcII reader soon. Have a feeling.

Have had very good luck with my volvo dealer in asking lots of questions/ they know i work on my cars alot. I have never been put off by being too inquisitive about maintenance with them. I might just have a good Volvo dealer down here, who knows.

jm2cents.

AmerliN

Cary Ford
01-22-2007, 09:53 AM
525 = no power. Get an 8.

djg
01-22-2007, 11:40 AM
Tend to skid/slip at the mere mention of snow.

I had a 328is which I loved to drive when there was no snow ... three flakes and it was miserable.

ti_boi
01-22-2007, 12:08 PM
I was frightened away from RWD BMWs. In a deep snow, I remember seeing quite a few of them spinning their wheels on the side of the road, when my 9 3 SAAB carved through the powder nicely.

I went with the AWD version of the 325 (the Xi). The 325 motor has plenty of nice power, it winds up beautifully and the straight six has a wonderful musical tone to it's output.

Since the power is split between the front and rear wheels 68% to the rear ( I believe) which gives the car the 'feel' of a rear wheel drive machine, but the grip of AWD...it is a demon in the corners. As a contrast, I have heard people say that a good set of snow tires and a strong technique is all you need in the snow where RWD is concerned. :D

fierte_poser
01-22-2007, 12:27 PM
I was frightened away from RWD BMWs. In a deep snow, I remember seeing quite a few of them spinning their wheels on the side of the road, when my 9 3 SAAB carved through the powder nicely.

--snip--

As a contrast, I have heard people say that a good set of snow tires and a strong technique is all you need in the snow where RWD is concerned. :D

I agree. My 528iT (RWD) has a set of Blizzak REVO1's on it and it is the bomb on snow and ice. BMW's traction control (ASC) is great in terms of allowing some slip before interfering and it has 3 different modes of operation that are driver selectable. Once you get underway, its all about being *smooth* on the inputs.

Prior to the 528iT, my winter beater was a 1989 Accord w/ Michelin Arctic Alpins. The Accord was 'boring' to drive in snow and ice... just point and shoot. The BMW requires more consideration before applying power, but it is also more rewarding... gestalt and all that. :banana:

Having said all that, I, too, originally wanted a 325xiT, but the market for those is overpriced, imho. The 528iT was a much better deal.

Kent

Climb01742
01-22-2007, 01:00 PM
winters, i had snows on my 540 wagon (but not as good as blizzaks) and it was always a challenge to drive it straight in the snow. the back end broke loose pretty easily. older bimmers and snow were a dicey combo, least in my experience.

ti_boi
01-22-2007, 02:14 PM
Speaking of cars in the snow.....we are on our 2nd Volvo this year...an XC70....but I am trying to get my wife into an 'R' series wagon! Very overpriced but potent with AWD and superb Brembo brakes.....a kind of super wagon!

AgilisMerlin
01-22-2007, 02:21 PM
got a USED single owner t5, built overseas.

nice car.

the manual was the deal breaker.

247 hp

think the new R series is up around 300 hp.

they are fun to drive in 3,4,5 gear. the susp. is beefed up for the upper hp models.

my kids love smearing food into the cloth and leather interior............glad it is black.

amerliN

Ken Robb
01-22-2007, 02:50 PM
It's all about the tires. In Germany after a certain date each Fall it is illegal to drive without snow tires. Contrary to the wisdom I was told in my youth wider snow tires are a mistake. Narrow tall profile tires bite into the snow deeper and provide better traction. BMW engineers assume folks everywhere would "get" this so they design BMWs with relatively wide summer or (erroneous term here) "all-season" tires to provide better handling and traction on warm wet and dry roads.

Lots of drivers who don't understand this end up in ditches or unable to move at all.

When I replaced the 245/40-17 Ultra High Performance tires on my M3 with 215/45-17 Pirelli 210 snow tires it would have made a dandy snow plow. The limited slip rear end contributed to this success. A couple of years later I was surprised by a light snowfall on May1 in Yosemite and couldn't move at all with my fat summer tires back on the car.

ti_boi
01-23-2007, 10:12 AM
I run a set of Viking (Swedish made) tires in the winter and some Pole Position Bridgestones in the summer....and I totally feel the difference! ......Maybe tire/ride awareness is in our DNA as cyclists.....or maybe I just have gas.