PDA

View Full Version : OT: Darn Tough Socks

BobbyJones
05-11-2020, 02:35 PM
Looking to replenish my sock supply after getting started on the Quarantine clean up.

Been using Defeet Wooleators (sp?) and Smartwool PhD's for years. As I'm looking around, I see Darn Tough Tacticals look similar to the Defeet but without a logo- a big win in my book.

Anyone have experience with these particular Darn Tough models?

Thanks in advance.

AngryScientist
05-11-2020, 02:37 PM
not those in particular, but i'm a huge supporter of darn tough. i buy them whenever i see a pair on sale at REI, Campmor, etc.

they wear well, and they stand by their warranty. i wore a hole through a pair and they promptly credited me enough $ to buy a new pair.

A+ company!

clyde the point
05-11-2020, 02:37 PM
I use their hikers. Very nice socks. Last 4 ever. But still love DeFeets for the bike.

veloduffer
05-11-2020, 02:39 PM
I don't have the Tactical Model but wear the Hiker Micro Crew and Warlock Crew Light for the past year. Well-made and comfortable and as good as my Smartwool thus far.

bigbill
05-11-2020, 02:40 PM
Great socks with opportunities to do good while you buy socks. I have a few dozen that are 4 plus years old and still great. T Holland turned me on to them.

https://foxsox.com/

572cv
05-11-2020, 03:18 PM
not those in particular, but i'm a huge supporter of darn tough. i buy them whenever i see a pair on sale at REI, Campmor, etc.

they wear well, and they stand by their warranty. i wore a hole through a pair and they promptly credited me enough $ to buy a new pair.

A+ company!

As a Vermonter and a long time Darn Tough customer, I love the socks and admire the company. They now make a range of socks for different purposes, in appropriate weights and weaves. The ones for cycling work nicely in my Sidis. But they are indeed wool, and I have no experience with them in super hot weather, so some of you may need alternatives!

cinema
05-11-2020, 03:24 PM
they're good but not as warm generally as the wooleators. maybe there are heavier ones i'm not aware of. i have a bunch of pairs and they're really durable but can vary in wool percentage.

BobbyJones
05-11-2020, 03:29 PM
Great socks with opportunities to do good while you buy socks. I have a few dozen that are 4 plus years old and still great. T Holland turned me on to them.

https://foxsox.com/

Foxsox line up looks good, some sans logos, but I'm not seeing any wool blends. After I went wool 15 or so years ago I haven't looked back.

Which leads me to...

…But they are indeed wool, and I have no experience with them in super hot weather, so some of you may need alternatives!

On my feet, the thinner "wool" such as Smartwool Phd Lights (really wool / poly blends of around 60 /40ish, much like most cycling jerseys advertised as wool) perform just as well as synthetics in extreme heat, but really holds the stink at bay much better. Unless the anti-stink gimmicks of the synthetics have gotten better over the past 15 years.

ColonelJLloyd
05-11-2020, 03:38 PM
I converted my entire sock drawer to Darn Tough. Left a half dozen pair of SmartWool and WigWam and a few other merino brands. All three pair of DeFeet Wooleater's I had tore at the top hem/cuff. 3 of 3. Never again.

I have several models of DT, but prefer the "light cushion" ones. Many pairs of the Crew Light for the office.

On the bike it's mostly the "No Show Tab" in Vertex UltraLight Cushion.

bigreen505
05-11-2020, 04:31 PM
No experience with them, but now that I know Darn Tough makes bike socks, I will be stocking up.

efixler
05-11-2020, 04:32 PM
Not such a fan. They were too tight and not as comfortable as my other merino socks across multiple brands.

kingpin75s
05-11-2020, 04:40 PM
Not such a fan. They were too tight and not as comfortable as my other merino socks across multiple brands.

Agreed. Not a fan.

Merino % is generally lower than other brands I prefer and I believe not as comfortable as such.

I prefer Icebreaker socks as my go to and have had good luck with some of the Mont Bell wool socks as well.

majorpat
05-11-2020, 05:34 PM
I went to college in the town where Darn Tough socks are made, so I’m a fan just for that. However, in my military specialty we get issued Darn Tough socks and they have stood up for me under all conditions. I say thumbs up and they’re made in ‘Merica to boot.

charliedid
05-11-2020, 05:53 PM
I have a bunch of them. The hiking socks re really nice and comfy. The shorty no cushion run/bike socks wear like iron but similar to the casual ones I have the toes are too tight.

Like anything hit or miss but they are a great company and make great products.

No issue there.

schwa86
05-11-2020, 07:03 PM
Multiple pairs for hiking and XC skiing, have used for winter cycling — excellent socks, really great company.

marciero
05-11-2020, 07:04 PM
Pretty much exclusively what I wear-on bike and off. They are semi local (VT) and my exclusive supplier is a local store that only sells socks. Well, leggings and leotards too.

parris
05-11-2020, 07:42 PM
I'm switching to them as I wear out other socks. I "liked" Smartwool but their QC has tanked.

likebikes
05-11-2020, 09:31 PM
love 'em

wc1934
05-11-2020, 09:37 PM
They are ok but not as soft or warm as my woolie boolie defeet.

azrider
05-11-2020, 09:42 PM
Weird they don't list how tall the socks are?? Or did i miss that somewhere?

climbgdh
05-11-2020, 10:10 PM
Best socks ever!! Wear like iron, hold their shape forever and the company totally stand behind their warranty, plus comfortable. I got a hole in one pair, sent them away with MRA form and 2 weeks later had a new pair in the mail. Eventually Darn Tough will be the only socks in my sock drawer. One pair I have is easily 6-7 years old...... highly recommended.

ColonelJLloyd
05-11-2020, 10:32 PM
Weird they don't list how tall the socks are?? Or did i miss that somewhere?

From FAQ page

What is the difference between the heights of your socks?

No-Show: 4" above the heel.

¼ Tops and Shorty: 6.5" above the heel

Micro Crews: 8.5" above the heel

Women’s Crews: 9" above the heel

Boot and Men’s Crew: 11" above the heel

Mid Calf: 14" above the heel

Over the Calf: 17" above the heel

Blue Jays
05-11-2020, 10:36 PM
Darn Tough are great socks. I have met their owner.
Swiftwick are also an excellent choice. Superb compression.
SmartWool has utterly swirled down the QC toilet.

FriarQuade
05-11-2020, 11:41 PM
Years ago when Smartwool had a bad patch of quality I gave Darn Tough a shot, haven't bought another brand of socks since. I wear them daily and ride in them as well. Great socks, made in USA and a company that stands behind their product.

weisan
05-12-2020, 12:24 AM
Discovered by accident that Sierra Trading Post was getting rid of some old stock Swiftwick. With coupon, it came up to $3.50 a pair. Bought 20 pairs.

That was three years ago.

Yet to buy another pair of socks. Use it for everything.

My kids "stole" several pairs from the laundry.

Lucky for me, I bought "enough" to survive the loot.

BobbyJones
05-12-2020, 11:40 AM
Thanks all.

Made the leap and ordered a few pair of the "tactical 1/4 cushion sock".

We'll see how they do.

For those that like the brand, what models are you using and for what?

teleguy57
05-12-2020, 12:15 PM
I'm a fan. Use Crew Lights for most daytime wear now.

Just checked their website, and they are no longer showing cycling-specific socks. I have three pair in crew length that I like a lot. I have noticed stuff comes in/out of availability so I'm hoping to see cycling socks listed again.

azrider
05-12-2020, 03:17 PM
From FAQ page

WHOOOOPS...............thanks for sharing !

jefenger
05-12-2020, 03:30 PM
Darn Tough makes great socks and stand by their warranty. I've worn them all around the world and through a 62-day "hiking tour" of Georgia and Florida (e.g., the mountains in Dahlonega and the swamps of Florida) and they have never let me down.