PDA

View Full Version : Broken Shimano Ultegra 6800 Lever Replacement?

jwin
05-10-2020, 06:30 PM
So I was absolutely socially stupid today and ripped the bike off my roof. Pretty minimal damage all things considered but the carbon brake lever on the brifter snapped.

I am wondering what my options are. I have the broken bit.

1. I could try and epoxy it back together? Not ideal.

2. I could replace the whole brifter. Also not ideal as I just re-taped.

3. Can I replace just the carbon lever?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muz
05-10-2020, 06:42 PM
When my 6700 lever broke (thanks TSA!), I looked for a replacement blade but it cost as much as a shifter. So, I would recommend replacing the shifter if you can get one at a reasonable price. Tape is no problem (especially if recent), just peel it back to the shifter, replace the shifter, re-tape.

I still have my broken shifter as a spare. I think it can be repaired with carbon fiber and epoxy, bu it will never look and feel the same.

jwin
05-10-2020, 08:22 PM
Can the replacement levers like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Ultegra-ST-6800-Right-Main-Shift-Brake-Lever-Assembly-Black-New/254186922093

be used with both Hydro and non-Hydro 6800? Thanks for any help!

dave thompson
05-10-2020, 08:29 PM
Can the replacement levers like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Ultegra-ST-6800-Right-Main-Shift-Brake-Lever-Assembly-Black-New/254186922093

be used with both Hydro and non-Hydro 6800? Thanks for any help!

Look up that part number in the Shimano Tech Docs. See if it’s the same for both hydro & non-hydro or if it’s peculiar to one or the other.

jwin
05-10-2020, 09:52 PM
So it turns out I have RS685's not Ultegras. I found the tech doc as suggested above but there's no lever listed there? It must either be a whole unit or not available separately. Bummer.

I think I may try to glue with epoxy.

oldpotatoe
05-11-2020, 08:10 AM
So it turns out I have RS685's not Ultegras. I found the tech doc as suggested above but there's no lever listed there? It must either be a whole unit or not available separately. Bummer.

I think I may try to glue with epoxy.

Correct..no part number, no part BUT, you may try to call shimano, USA, they may have a busted/warranty one there that they can cannibalize..

muz
05-11-2020, 09:31 AM
The way mine broke, it was clear that epoxy by itself would not work. You need at least a few wraps of carbon fiber (or glass fiber if you have that). Basically you need to create a splint.