PDA

View Full Version : Insole recommendations

coelacant
05-10-2020, 06:11 PM
I like my Shimano Sh-XC700 SL just fine except that lately the insoles are starting to feel a bit too thin leading to hot spots on rides longer than 3hrs.
They remind me of the Sidis I used to have, those come with a piece of cardboard.

Thinking of swapping the insoles, the only ones I know of are the Superfeet, but there are so many different models, how to choose?
What are some other alternatives that don't cost $$$?
TIA.

Steve in SLO
05-10-2020, 06:28 PM
I’m partial to the Specialized Body Geometry insoles, but you really just have to go to a shoe or sports store that has a good running section and try a number of them For yourself. Make sure and bring your shoes. You may need to go through two or three different types on the bike before you find your sweet spot. Bontrager has a set that includes thick and thin soles as well as interchangeable arches and metatarsal buttons so you can dial them in to your feet. This may be a good place to start.

Tickdoc
05-10-2020, 06:47 PM
I’m partial to the Specialized Body Geometry insoles, but you really just have to go to a shoe or sports store that has a good running section and try a number of them For yourself. Make sure and bring your shoes. You may need to go through two or three different types on the bike before you find your sweet spot. Bontrager has a set that includes thick and thin soles as well as interchangeable arches and metatarsal buttons so you can dial them in to your feet. This may be a good place to start.

Same with the specialized.....better yet go into spesh bike store and they will fit you for them. Metatarsal button was always comfy for my feet and they had multiple combos of arch heights. Also had good luck with a memory foam dr scholl’s set straight from a drug store once with a pair of sidis.

Old School
05-10-2020, 06:50 PM
I have had the best luck with Giro, although they are hard to find. When you buy one set, they come with three of the interchangeable arches, instead of buying three sets of insoles.

I have invariably found that changing arches works better than "tilted cleats" or show shims, and that I always end with two different arches and feel like I am in heaven.

I also stiffen my race shoes with carbon fiber insoles, 0.05 mm thick from ebay that I cut with scissors. (2 pieces 200 x 100mm) This also worked perfect on my wifes Shimano shoes.

I have never found any metatarsal button to do any more than remind me of the story of "The Princess and The Pea", except with a rock instead of a pea.

Spaghetti Legs
05-10-2020, 06:54 PM
I got the superfeet ones for my Sidi shoes - I think they were branded for hockey skates and bike shoes. At any rate I'm not sure if they're worth whatever it is ($50) I paid for them. After all we're just making circles with our feet - not like running and jumping or walking long distances.

There was also a noticeable difference at first in how hot my feet got during summertime riding. I either got used to it or the effect wore off though.

Veloo
05-10-2020, 07:00 PM
Birko Sport.

https://www.birkenstock.com/us/birko-sport-/birkosport-insole-0-0-00-u.html?dwvar_birkosport-insole-0-0-00-u_color=7

Steve in SLO
05-10-2020, 07:09 PM
Birko Sport.

https://www.birkenstock.com/us/birko-sport-/birkosport-insole-0-0-00-u.html?dwvar_birkosport-insole-0-0-00-u_color=7

Those are really nice. I wear them in my tennis shoes and hiking boots. FWIW, you can usually find them for closer to $50 landed on the bay.

jischr
05-10-2020, 07:11 PM
I ended up with Specialized +++ in my Sidi's, Abeo in my walking shoes, and green Superfeet in my running shoes. High arches. :)

Bruce K
05-10-2020, 07:18 PM
I used Specialized in my Sidis and am using the Giris in my new Giris but I have heard really good things about Solestar

Solestar.de

More expensive but cycling specific.

BK

Peter P.
05-10-2020, 08:25 PM
Another vote here for Specialized Body Geometry insoles. Pick the insoles to match your arch; they're color coded.

The Superfeet insoles, which I have, don't impress me.

Unpredictable
05-10-2020, 08:32 PM
Another vote for the Body Geometry. They feel and work so well. I too---was not impressed with the superfeet for cycling shoes.

Mike Bryant
05-10-2020, 08:34 PM
The metatarsal bump is great for my feet. I’ve used Specialized which are good. Garneau which are better but no longer available I believe. Now using Icebug Slim which are nice also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRZRM
05-10-2020, 08:36 PM
I like the Sole heat moldable ones, they keep changing models, but the mid-think ones have worked well with riding shoes and the thick ones are good for my hiking boots.

charliedid
05-10-2020, 08:38 PM
I agree with Old School on the Giro. That said they break down a bit quicker than I'd like.

old fat man
05-10-2020, 08:42 PM
I used black superfeet in my not-stiff-enough sidi when touring because my arch was collapsing and I got pretty severe knee pain. With proper stiff shoes like Shimano sphyre and giro ec90, I can get by with the stock giro insoles. I also have custom Peterson cycling orthotics that are awesome but I believe he retired from the game. Never tried specialized.

Tony T
05-10-2020, 09:18 PM
Another vote for Specialized. (I tried Superfeet, didn’t like them)

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/body-geometry-sl-footbeds/p/130590?color=228362-130590&searchText=613E-9336

Three arch types (I use the Red)
With three different arch support options (Red+ being the lowest, Blue++ being in the middle, and Green+++ being tallest), you can be sure that every precious watt is preserved through the pedal stroke.

djg21
05-10-2020, 10:38 PM
Don makes insoles for cycling shoes, or ski boots. He uses an Amfit computerized system and will make any necessary modifications to account for foot issues. https://lamsoncycling.com/orthotics

boywonder
05-10-2020, 10:44 PM
Another vote fore Sole. They offer multiple options including widths and met bottons. Previously used Giro then transferred to Shimano since theirs offered no support . Performance Thin for me has been quite satisfactory.

pdmtong
05-10-2020, 10:51 PM
I have had the best luck with Giro, although they are hard to find.

is Giro no longer selling their insoles separate from their shoes?

Specialized Blue never got along with me. And, I did get "fitted"

Superfeet black work for me btu I prefer the Giro with medium orange arch best.

cinema
05-10-2020, 11:00 PM
spent a lot of dough over the years. from the expensive ones with variable shims including giro and higher priced ones made by 'fitting pros', to oven molded ones. g8 insoles are expensive garbage and collapse and deform over time because it's just a cheap thin plastic shim.

will echo the others here, Specialized is the one.

davidb
05-10-2020, 11:39 PM
They work very well. Talk with a Retul fitter.

https://www.retul.com/footbeds

https://scheduler.retul.com/search?country=US

macaroon
05-11-2020, 02:08 AM
G8 performance insoles: https://www.g8performance.com.au/cycling/

Or Esoles Efit if you can find any NOS on ebay

marciero
05-11-2020, 06:02 AM
More power to you if you can address issues with over the counter or "semi custom" moldable footbeds. I get numbness with the ones I've tried. My 20 year old footbeds made by the late Bill Peterson are still in use. But I recently ordered the fit kit from Don Lamson, who is a sponsor here to replace, or at least back those up. It turns out they knew each other in the 70's in Aspen. At $225 not cheap but not expensive either in the scheme of things. I think I paid more than that 20 years ago.

echelon_john
05-11-2020, 06:43 AM
These have been a game changer for me:

https://aline.com/product/aline/

I use custom footbeds in ski boots and hiking boots; A-lines in my cycling shoes. No hotspots, feel more planted. The Giro and Specialized ones are good but these are a world apart IMO.

mcteague
05-11-2020, 06:46 AM
G8 performance insoles: https://www.g8performance.com.au/cycling/

Or Esoles Efit if you can find any NOS on ebay

Agreed. After reading how many of the top fitters use these I tried a pair of G8s. I ended up with a very aggressive arch support, in a slightly different position on each insole. Right off the bat my feet felt more solidly placed on the pedals. They are not cheap but totally worth it IMO.

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/02/foot-correction-part-1-arch-support/

Tim

charliedid
05-11-2020, 06:52 AM
is Giro no longer selling their insoles separate from their shoes?

Specialized Blue never got along with me. And, I did get "fitted"

Superfeet black work for me btu I prefer the Giro with medium orange arch best.

You may be right about that.

Giro site shows no insoles aftermarket.

Another similar option - https://www.bikefit.com/p-123-g8-performance-2620-pro-series-orthotic-insoles.aspx

tanghy
05-11-2020, 08:26 AM
Solestar black or ergon (also made by solestar)
Very good arch support

estilley
05-11-2020, 12:41 PM
+1 for Superfeet black or carbon. Lower heel cup than the green superfeet so you're less likely to add to much rise in the back.

cmg
05-11-2020, 01:01 PM
As much as would like to criticize the Birkenstock supports for being over priced cork and foam their shoes/chanclas are really comfortable and they do make really long lasting stuff. the eSoles do also work and let you adjust/create the support. The Giros in my opinion work the best.

Ozz
05-11-2020, 02:07 PM
I like the Sole heat moldable ones, they keep changing models, but the mid-think ones have worked well with riding shoes and the thick ones are good for my hiking boots.
+1
Used these to fix a knee pain I was having on the bike about 15 yrs ago and worked great....use them in all my shoes now (various thicknesses) and keeps plantar fasciitis in check.

coelacant
05-11-2020, 03:13 PM
Lotsa cool and interesting suggestions. Thanks everybody.
The problem I have with the insoles, now that I have a chance to pull them out and take a look, is that over time the cheap foam forefoot, the part under the ball, got squished down to almost nothing, so no cushion, no support there where I needed it most.
It's never the heel cup or the arch support for me.

Maybe the answer is to just find some forefoot pads instead, Sorbothane comes to mind.

Ralph
05-11-2020, 04:17 PM
I like the Specialized also. They are hard and keep their shape. Relatively inexpensive. As noted....3 different arch heights. Specialized are designed for cycling....not running, walking, skiing, etc.

I use custom orthotics (expensive) for all other uses. My foot Doc said his orthotics not designed for cycling, to use cycling specific ones for cycling. Says the foot is used differently in cycling, than walking or running.

fmradio516
05-11-2020, 04:41 PM
i have 10+ year old Specialized in my Sidis. I think they must still be in great shape because I tried a pair of brand new sidis with stock insoles and they were TERRIBLE. The 10 year old specialzed are way better.

Mine are the red ones. Did the older versions go by the same color coordinated? I have between med to high arches, and I just picked up a pair of the blue(medium) specialized soles. Have i been using pretty much flat footed insoles for 10 years?

Steve in SLO
05-11-2020, 06:32 PM
Red=low arch
Blue=med arch
Green=hi arch
There was a black insole designed( I think) for MTB with a medium arch

fmradio516
05-11-2020, 07:24 PM
Red=low arch
Blue=med arch
Green=hi arch
There was a black insole designed( I think) for MTB with a medium arch

er youre right, i got the blue(medium). and have these colors always been the same with the footbeds? Like has red always been low arch with these even 10 yrs ago?

ultraman6970
05-12-2020, 01:28 AM
I do not think anybody mentioned Solestar kontrol, the original kontrol model, they changed the line up adding more products and now the kontrol is called the blk, the new kontrol uses hard fiberglass core now.

Have problems with flexible arches and my 220 pounds dont help at all to the situation, have used several insoles and nothing has held as the Solestar carbon kontrol insole. Is not moldeable that I know of but with the time starts giving just enough. Great insole if you can find it for the right price. No idea how the plastic cheapo ones will work, because well the insole arch area in the cheappo model can collapse down due to my weight when standing up the pedals, the carbon doesnt do that, actually the only carbon insoles i know that doesnt colapse under weight is the solestar.

The solestar is the only insoles that worked for me.

I use sole insoles in my regular shoes, great insoles aswell. The reason i dont have those for my cycling shoes is because the heel area, too big for cycling and the other issue is that my heel gets off the shoe, it is design thing which I know how to address the thing is that i dont want to cut them.

My next pick that i havent used ever (but i have a new pair to test some day) are the bauer speed plate 2.0 .. moldeable and similar design to the solestar insoles. One day this summer will test them and I will do a review but those insoles are made to hold you standing up and smashing the ice the whole day so i do not see why they couldnt work for cycling.

Superfeets never worked for me even in regular shoes, all of the standard insoles in cycling shoes never worked for me too well. So wont mention any of them.

Steve in SLO
05-12-2020, 10:32 AM
er youre right, i got the blue(medium). and have these colors always been the same with the footbeds? Like has red always been low arch with these even 10 yrs ago?

I believe so, yes.

weiwentg
05-12-2020, 11:13 AM
I believe so, yes.

You are correct, with maybe a handful of possible exceptions. I got a pair of S-Works 7s last year in the awesome (or at least very loud) hyper lava scheme, and the insoles were the same high-vis yellow as the front of the shoe. However, they are the flat insoles. It seems like Spesh defaults to flat in all their shoes.

Alan
06-28-2020, 07:05 AM
I just got some custom insoles from my Retul/Specialized dealer who is very good. See link to them:

https://www.retul.com/footbeds

They were $150 which is a good price as they will last 20,000 miles per the dealer. I have tried many different insoles including Specialized, eFit, Icebug and these are way better. The Retuls are really custom orthotics. I was using eFit and immediately noticed a better custom fit and more perceived power.

They are fairly high volume as the arch is high so you need to make sure that there is enough room in your shoes. I have low volume narrow feet and they work well for me.

These are the best that I have seen on the market and really a good deal considering they will last 2-3X longer than regular insoles.

There are plenty of Retul/Specialized dealers around who can do these.

PM me w any questions.

Alan

peanutgallery
06-28-2020, 01:15 PM
We have Boot Doctor branded Podiscope with the pillows and the built in toaster to heat up their branded insoles. This system is branded by a bunch of companies and common in running stores and ski shops, will work with most customizable insoles. Anyone trained on the device will be able to help you deduce the correct insole and personalize it for your feet. Additionally, there are a couple of little tests you can run that help the customer figure out mobility issues and that sort of thing and fix them. Great way to communicate with customers about their feet.

For example, about a year ago it was pointed out to me that my right and left knees track differently with my left being "normal" and the right lifting my heel in order to compensate and keep up with my left. In the ski world, this resulted in my turns in one direction being a lot different than the other. I customized a pair of insoles, posted the heels and left a little lift in the right. Completely transformed my turns as I now bend both knees equally and have much better turn symmetry. King of the beer league last year:) Granted, I was the project for a good friend who was using me as an example in a boot fitting seminar and there was some trial and error, but it really opened my eyes

As a result, I have made myself a series of custom insoles for all my footwear using the rubric I was provided, cycling included, and I can't believe I went almost 50 years without going thru this process. I feel like my gait is better, my back doesn't bother me, standing on my feet all day is more comfortable. Riding is definitely better as far as comfort. It was an interesting process, and knowing what I know now...I should have looked into this process decades ago. If you have an issue, get out the wallet and find a pro...$$$ well spent

Dired
06-28-2020, 08:21 PM
I'm using SOLE inserts with metatarsal pads taped on top for 5+ years. They've held up really well, no issues.

tuxbailey
06-28-2020, 08:45 PM
Another vote for Specialized. I used blue and I haven't changed it for a long, even used the same ones when I got the Sidi's. I have a spare set just in case they decided to change the design.

flying
06-28-2020, 10:03 PM
I also really like Specialized Body Geometry Footbeds

I keep both blue & green available because it is funny but I find different shoes need different footbed.

Some shoes the Green feels too crowded but the blue is fine

I like the high arch green in a wide shoe & the blue in a normal width

Odd I guess but I don't question it as they work great & are not expensive. I had metatarsal problem once & never want to go back to that ;)

martl
06-29-2020, 02:10 AM
I used Specialized in my Sidis and am using the Giris in my new Giris but I have heard really good things about Solestar

Solestar.de

More expensive but cycling specific.

BK
For that kind of money you can see a very good orthopedics and have some custom made. I did after having knee surgery for cartilage damage type 4 and it does make a big difference. It's literally night and day.

pdonk
06-29-2020, 12:34 PM
My lake 402s came with their fiberglass (white) "raven" insoles. They are heat moldable. After close to 4000km on them, without shaping, they have worked really well and hold up to getting wet and general use.

professerr
06-29-2020, 08:21 PM
And now for something completely different:

I use Pedag insoles: https://pedagusa.com/adults/?_bc_fsnf=1&Features=Vegetable+Tanned+Leather

They are cheap enough to just toss when worn, the leather ones feel nice, and certain versions are thin enough so they dont change the fit of your shoe.

(FWIW, the insoles that came with my Speciaized shoes were bizarrely painful due to that metatarsal bump.)

weiwentg
09-18-2020, 11:02 AM
OK, resurrecting this thread.

I ran the Specialized insoles for many years in Specialized S-Works original and S-Works 7 shoes. The 7s stopped working for me because the Boa dials were uncomfortable around my instep. I got a pair of Giro E70 knits instead. I was a bit surprised that they seemed to fit well, because I don't have narrow feet, but I had heard the last was not as narrow as Giro's usual last. I would otherwise get on well with Shimano shoes, but the Boa dial on an RP9 I tried was pressing uncomfortably into my instep. I didn't try the S-Phyre. Maybe I will at some point.

I tried a pair of the G8 insoles (I found some 2600s on sale on eBay, and I'm not sure how they're different to the current model, the 2620). They seem good, and I like that you can move the arch support around and modify the height. They are very thick, and they don't fit in the E70s at all. The G8s are living in my off-road shoes (Shimano's XC5s). That shoe has enough volume that the insoles play well with my feet.

I wore out the Specialized insoles living in my E70s. I decided to try the Icebug insoles, which are a bit pricier than the Specialized, but less so than the G8s. Icebugs tend not to be easy to get from stores, even stores carrying Icebug footwear. I found a seller on Amazon. Anyway, it turns out their low-volume insole is very thin, thinner than the Specialized. It seems to have a lower arch support than the G8 - the instructions for those guys are fit the highest arch support that's comfortable. The Icebugs have a very prominent metatarsal bump. It does feel strange the second you step on the insole, but it compresses enough that it totally disappears for me when riding. This may not work for everyone! It's a very big bump, much more prominent than either Specialized or G8 have. I didn't really notice the metatarsal support on either of those insoles while riding, but I guess I have only ridden insoles with metatarsal bumps of some sort for the last 10 years.

So far, I like the Icebugs. On my E70s, the thinness of the insole means the shoe now plays a lot better with my foot. With the slightly thicker Specialized insole, I had to fiddle with the lace tightness a lot. If I tightened the laces so that my feet were really locked into the shoe, I'd get foot pain. I left them just slightly loose, but I could feel my feet moving on very hard efforts. With the Icebugs, I can tighten the laces a lot more.

Basically, I have now used the Specialized insoles and G8 insoles for some time. The G8 is a premium insole, and in comparison to the Icebugs, I don't find the premium to be worth it to me. I think I like metatarsal bumps, so I'm less inclined to try the Bontrager insoles (made by Superfeet). To experiment, I have tried some regular Superfeet insoles in my cycling shoes, and they were OK in the Shimanos but uncomfortable in the E70s (and I'm not sure why, but I'm guessing they're thick and that's taking too much room in the E70s).

So, why don't I get a higher volume lace shoe? That's a fair question. I don't really see a lot of those. The Specialized Sub-6 has been discontinued, and I'm not sure the overall last will suit my foot well. My overall comfort in the S-Works 7 wasn't as good as in either the Shimanos or the E70s, plus there was the issue I had with the Boas. Shimano doesn't have high-end lace shoes. Giro's other lace shoes are going to be too narrow. I am aware that Lake makes one lace shoe. I'd actually be willing to try the new S-Phyres if the padding around the Boa dials is OK.

Mark McM
09-18-2020, 11:41 AM
I wore out the Specialized insoles living in my E70s. I decided to try the Icebug insoles, which are a bit pricier than the Specialized, but less so than the G8s. Icebugs tend not to be easy to get from stores, even stores carrying Icebug footwear. I found a seller on Amazon. Anyway, it turns out their low-volume insole is very thin, thinner than the Specialized. It seems to have a lower arch support than the G8 - the instructions for those guys are fit the highest arch support that's comfortable. The Icebugs have a very prominent metatarsal bump. It does feel strange the second you step on the insole, but it compresses enough that it totally disappears for me when riding. This may not work for everyone! It's a very big bump, much more prominent than either Specialized or G8 have. I didn't really notice the metatarsal support on either of those insoles while riding, but I guess I have only ridden insoles with metatarsal bumps of some sort for the last 10 years.

I've also been using the Icebug insoles, primarily for the metatarsal bump, but also because they are quite thin (my shoes don't have a lot of volume). They work very well for me, and like you say, the metatarsol bump seems high, but compresses under foot pressure. In regard to your comment about the arch support height, it should be mentioned that Icebug insoles come in 3 arch heights (labeled "low" "medium" and "high"). In addition to the thin version (yellow), they also make a thicker version (blue) with more padding (also in 3 arch heights).

GregL
09-18-2020, 12:08 PM
Since we're discussing insoles, I'm finding a challenge with my Specialized MTB shoes. I use Specialized road shoes with SPD-SL pedals. I use the blue Specialized insoles and find the road shoes very comfortable. The MTB shoes (with stiff carbon soles and the blue insoles) are causing me discomfort in the forefoot above the cleat area. I can definitely feel a raised bump over the cleats. The bump isn't noticeable when feeling the top of the installed insole with my hand, but definitely noticeable when wearing the shoes. Any suggestions to alleviate this discomfort?

Thanks,
Greg

Mike Bryant
09-18-2020, 12:11 PM
I like the Icebug too and still use them, but have since had an opportunity to pick up some Solestar Kontrol Road insoles. They are indeed better quality, more support, stiffer, and more $$$. Put the Icebugs in some shoes I use for gravel riding that occasionally get walked in. The Solestars are in road shoes that I don’t anticipate I’ll be walking in. Both has a metatarsal bump that really suit my feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

herb5998
09-18-2020, 12:16 PM
I've used the Specialized insoles with their shoes, very good, enough support, but not too much.

My current shoes came with Solestar insoles, very stiff for the first 5-10 rides, but great now, more support than the Specialized, and I find my feet are happier, especially on longer rides when pedal stroke tends to get worse.

BlueHampsten
09-18-2020, 01:50 PM
I have used the Superfeet in black for a number of years.

Then I tried the Superfeet in yellow which are made for ice skates and they are far superior in comfort, arch support and durability in my experience.

Think I will give the Specialized a try to see how they compare.

Best of luck with your quest.