PDA

View Full Version : Hover riser road bars and closed faceplate stem, help?

robt57
05-10-2020, 12:52 PM
Specialized Hover handlebar varieties:

Is the tops area fatter than 31.8, or wider across a flatter spot than 31.8. My stem face is not removable so all of the bar has to be 31.8 most anyplace to get it thru the stem. Either S-Works or Alloy versions if different??

Thanks

Clean39T
05-10-2020, 01:34 PM

Is the tops area fatter than 31.8, or wider across a flatter spot than 31.8. My stem face is not removable so all of the bar has to be 31.8 most anyplace to get it thru the stem. Either S-Works or Alloy versions if different??

ThanksWorst case is Rob makes you a new stem or modifies that one..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

robt57
05-10-2020, 01:55 PM
Worst case is Rob makes you a new stem or modifies that one..

Yeah, for others reading, Clean39T knows I am talking about this for the English sick custom frame I got Friday.

Another option Rob and I talked about was me just getting a steer tube and cut to desired length, and clamp top and bottom.

I could also get a more butted tube or even one with some helix at the bottom butt if it seems to need some stiffening up. I will have to ride it to see that.

The new steerer and 10-15mm of spacers up top under a stem. but that is so pedestrian as compared to the custom stem.

If new tube, my one piece White integrated ProVibes would work well and look good. But I hate the thought of giving up the custom painted to match stem. It is so sexy/slender/stealthy and has the provisions to hide a junction etc.

It is right at 10CM drop, and 8.5 is my go fast drop max really.

It is hard to believe the colossal turn of luck that the seat mast with no provision of saddle height adj is spot in the middle of a range that I can dial in with saddle stack choice. I thought sure I'd be modding it for a topper...

Here is where she sits until a few bits come in...

vqdriver
05-10-2020, 02:04 PM
Dude.
That thing is sneaky hawt

Clean39T
05-10-2020, 02:05 PM
Gorgeous! You know, I have a Wifli ETap group if you don't want to futz w wires ;)

Good thing is Rob does paint too. So a zero-rise stem should be easy enough, then you can keep the original for when you really want to push your go-fast limits.....or for breaking Instagram..

robt57
05-10-2020, 02:17 PM
Yeah, I can't get over how minimalist and sexy it looks.

I recently sold off that BMW M Racer I got to harvest the SR/Ti/cult groupo off. It was a 56 and I did a few 25 mile rides with the same drop to the bars the English is outta the gate.

I lowered the bars on all my other bikes after that. But I am somewhat new to 200 lbs [from 236] and having my gut out of the way to breath with normal go fast bar drop. I'd not have thought of lowering my other bike/bars had I not rode the 56 BMW M Racer. I was amazed I could reasonably ride a 56, albeit with long reach bars and 13CM stem.

The other thing I did not think about was I could run lower PSI. Was so used to 236 Clyde PSI in my tires. DUH, a friend pointed it out, forehead slap...

yinzerniner
05-10-2020, 02:27 PM
If your custom stem cannot expand much further than the 31.8mm diameter size I highly doubt any type of variable-shaped handlebar will work with it if the shapes go larger. The bar you have on looks ok since the largest potion is at the clamp area, but aero, riser or comfort bars are most likely incompatible.

I use the c260 stems from ritchey on a few rides and they almost never work with bars that have any shaping you them, and the loop is only partially closed.

ERK55
05-10-2020, 02:39 PM
Man that fork is something.

robt57
05-10-2020, 02:42 PM
If your custom stem cannot expand much further than the 31.8mm diameter size I highly doubt any type of variable-shaped handlebar will work with it if the shapes go larger.

It does open up well, and is wet painted which may tolerate parting abuses better than powder coated finish might.

Best way it to try it. I have a Soma Condor here, so the bend test with that may be worth the learning experience...

vqdriver
05-10-2020, 02:49 PM
My opinion has been to work towards the bar you want. If that's the bar you like then swap the stem. If the hover is what you like then swap the stem. Find the bar you want and do what it takes to get it where you want it. After thats done then you can turn your attention the paint/matching...
But I agree that I wouldnt expect that stem to accommodate funky turns and bends without feeling like I forced the issue.

eddief
05-10-2020, 02:51 PM
not any more. But someone competent coud retro a set of Hover Bars and I'd bet you'd live to see another day!

http://www.cornerload.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=bike_friday_handlebars

robt57
05-10-2020, 03:38 PM
In the mean time, I will ride it with the 1.5 extra drop and do the higher STi position and rotate the bars a bit. I got back to 8.5CM drop my 1st season [2019] after loosing the 35lb, and been a lot happier on the bike for it.

Maybe I got more to come. When I rode a younger mans bike 20 years ago I was @ 4.5" drop during some 5-8k seasons. I got the time now. ;)

Maybe put longer cranks on and a lower stack saddle to increase front stack 1CM, including using my lowest stack pedal/cleat system here. May get there before tossing coin at stem/steerer or wonky rise bar solution.

I measured out my Soma Condors, too much stack by 1.5CM if I use those. And major goofy, although this bike wildly different bar might work as it is wildly different..

Clean39T
05-10-2020, 04:34 PM
In the mean time, I will ride it with the 1.5 extra drop and do the higher STi position and rotate the bars a bit. I got back to 8.5CM drop my 1st season [2019] after loosing the 35lb, and been a lot happier on the bike for it.

Maybe I got more to come. When I rode a younger mans bike 20 years ago I was @ 4.5" drop during some 5-8k seasons. I got the time now. ;)

Maybe put longer cranks on and a lower stack saddle to increase front stack 1CM, including using my lowest stack pedal/cleat system here. May get there before tossing coin at stem/steerer or wonky rise bar solution.

I measured out my Soma Condors, too much stack by 1.5CM if I use those. And major goofy, although this bike wildly different bar might work as it is wildly different..This all makes a lot of sense - no reason not to experiment. Start a planking regimen too.

robt57
05-10-2020, 04:41 PM
This all makes a lot of sense - no reason not to experiment. Start a planking regimen too.

There is a lot of merit to that idea actually...

mhespenheide
05-10-2020, 05:42 PM
I bet that TiCycles in PDX could cut a slot across the top of that stem, weld on two bolt bosses, and you'd be in business.

weisan
05-10-2020, 09:14 PM

Thanks

I have a hover alloy bar. I don't think it's gonna work with the stem you have.