PDA

View Full Version : OT: Haircuts Yet?

fignon's barber
05-09-2020, 12:53 PM
Anyone ventured into an establishment for a haircut yet? Barbershops open here tomorrow, but I assume my local place will be packed. I'm in urgent need, as my hair has ventured into the no man's land between a Trump and a man bun.

Duende
05-09-2020, 12:56 PM
Haha!

I’m either just gonna let it keep going ragged or shave my head..

Coffee Rider
05-09-2020, 12:56 PM
Not allowed here again yet AFAIK, but my clippers are supposed to show up today, so I can now do Haircut - The Home Game

GOTHBROOKS
05-09-2020, 12:58 PM
long hair DONT CARE

XXtwindad
05-09-2020, 01:02 PM
long hair DONT CARE

It's time for the "Paceline Fro-Off." Apparently, angryscientist is sporting some kind of fauxhawk, but, since no documented proof exists, we'll rank it with Nessie and the Yeti.

benb
05-09-2020, 01:05 PM
I let my wife cut my hair once already since this started.

Almost ready to have her do it again.

I have a Wahl kit, almost identical to what gets used at the Barber/Salon for guys hair... trimmer with all the attachments, scissors, comb, brush, etc..

I got so used to telling them how I wanted my hair cut I was able to tell my wife and she got at least 90% there.

batman1425
05-09-2020, 01:05 PM
I bought a set of Wahl clippers when things started going pear shaped. My boy and I have had each had 2 cuts with them so far and we surprisingly don't look terrible - or so my wife says. The clippers have already paid for themselves. Not sure why I didn't do this a long time ago.

donevwil
05-09-2020, 01:09 PM
Twice so far, my bike room is also a barber shop (my wife cuts my hair for the mere price of a whiskey sour). It is about time for a touch-up.

GregL
05-09-2020, 01:17 PM
I’ve been clipping livestock and grooming pets since I was a young farm boy. Two weeks into the COVID19 stay-home, I broke out the clippers and gave myself a haircut. Saved myself $12 (plus tip). Due for another clipping soon!

Greg

Tony T
05-09-2020, 01:18 PM
Anyone ventured into an establishment for a haircut yet? Barbershops open here tomorrow, but I assume my local place will be packed.

What is the plan in your state? Will there be only one person per barber in the shop with a line outside of guys 6 feet apart? Appointments only? Masks required? (I wouldn’t want to be a barber without an N95 mask).

commonguy001
05-09-2020, 01:19 PM
It'll be another 3 weeks before they open them up here, I'm going to need to see if Mrs Commonguy is willing to try her hand with our Wahl clippers. Worst that can happen is I'm wearing a ball cap for a month :banana:

FlashUNC
05-09-2020, 01:22 PM
Just let it grow for another few weeks. Aint like we're trying to impress anyone at this point.

jtbadge
05-09-2020, 01:27 PM
Just let it grow for another few weeks. Aint like we're trying to impress anyone at this point.

+1

Putting the working class at risk before a vaccine is available in the name of beauty is irresponsible.

dbnm
05-09-2020, 01:33 PM
I definitely have a fro at this point.

I've been wearing ball caps to all of my zoom calls.

I am ready to shave it off.

C40_guy
05-09-2020, 01:47 PM
Been buzzing myself for several years now. #6 comb is just right. I'd go shorter but SWMBO likes it longer...

Matthew
05-09-2020, 01:51 PM
Still have to wait til the end of the month at least here in Michigan. Mine's growing like crazy in parts, disappearing for good in others I think!! Made the mistake of using a hand held mirror to look at the top and back. Yikes! Should just buzz it down and be done with it but don't seem to have the guts yet. Maybe I'll go for the bald on top, long ponytail attorney/professor look. Then again, no.

PacNW2Ford
05-09-2020, 01:54 PM
Not allowed here again yet AFAIK, but my clippers are supposed to show up today, so I can now do Haircut - The Home Game

I “received” my Wahl clippers from Amazon a few weeks ago. They sent an electric razor. By that time, they were sold out of clippers. So we’re rocking the wild look. I was a “2x4” guy, #2 on the sides/back and a #4 on top. The 70’s have called several times wanting their haircut back. I’ve blocked the number. On the plus side, I rode this morning and didn’t worry about sunscreen on my head, the helmet vents were full of hair...

zambenini
05-09-2020, 02:01 PM
My wife did mine. My mom came to town and finished the job a few weeks later.

William
05-09-2020, 02:05 PM
Haha!

I’m either just gonna let it keep going ragged or shave my head..

I guess another good reason for just shaving it all off like I've been doing for years now.:banana:

W.

doomridesout
05-09-2020, 02:18 PM
+1

Putting the working class at risk before a vaccine is available in the name of beauty is irresponsible.

This. Thinking the calculus of risk/benefit has changed is magical thinking and the risk will only go up from here.

C40_guy
05-09-2020, 02:58 PM
I've been wearing ball caps to all of my zoom calls.

I had to wear a ball cap after an "incident" with the home groomer. Carved a landing strip across the top of my head after forgetting to put a #4 comb back on the naked buzzer. Oops.

Pics definitely not forthcoming!

scoobydrew
05-09-2020, 03:04 PM
Letting my hair grow out as well.

Online meetings don't require video conferencing, only voice calls.

If I have to go outside, my head's covered one way or another (hat for errands and helmet for rides).

commonguy001
05-09-2020, 03:46 PM
I “received” my Wahl clippers from Amazon a few weeks ago. They sent an electric razor. By that time, they were sold out of clippers. So we’re rocking the wild look. I was a “2x4” guy, #2 on the sides/back and a #4 on top. The 70’s have called several times wanting their haircut back. I’ve blocked the number. On the plus side, I rode this morning and didn’t worry about sunscreen on my head, the helmet vents were full of hair...

Seeing the 2x4 comment cracked me up but it did the trick. My wife did a fine job and I look no worse than I usually do. She did give me the stink eye when I told her I was going to have her do it every 4 weeks going forward so we’ll see.

OtayBW
05-09-2020, 03:50 PM
I'm getting nervous...

Tony T
05-09-2020, 03:58 PM
I had to wear a ball cap after an "incident" with the home groomer. Carved a landing strip across the top of my head after forgetting to put a #4 comb back on the naked buzzer. Oops.

Pics definitely not forthcoming!

Peter Gabriel circa 1970?

eBAUMANN
05-09-2020, 04:14 PM
my deepest condolences, as i can feel myself growing less impressed by you all with each passing day of growth.

but fear not! for this storm will pass. you will get your haircuts soon enough and maybe, if youre lucky, have enough time left on the clock to salvage the respect you lost during this most shaggy of times.

im on the 3-4 year DIY "girlfriend haircut" schedule.
highly recommend it ;)

jlwdm
05-09-2020, 04:14 PM
My shop opens Monday and I had my monthly appointment set for Tuesday. I missed March and April. Appointment only; masks; outside until ready for you; 1 per staff. 6 feet; no one but clients allowed.

Jeff

C40_guy
05-09-2020, 04:24 PM
my deepest condolences, as i can feel myself growing less impressed by you all with each passing day of growth.

Hey even hardcore preppers need to get their nails done every now and then. :)

buddybikes
05-09-2020, 04:36 PM
Invest in rubber band companies!

soulspinner
05-09-2020, 04:52 PM
Most hair since 8th grade. The back is curled up. Im 64:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

zmudshark
05-09-2020, 04:57 PM
It's been 20 years since I paid for a hair cut. Clippers and the second to shortest plastic thingy. Done.

MikeD
05-09-2020, 05:01 PM
It's the early '70s all over again.

Tickdoc
05-09-2020, 05:04 PM
I went last weekend (2nd day after opening). My place has online check in and day one was over an hour wait. Day two I must’ve timed it right and only waited 15 min. They separated every customer by using only every other chair, and there was a significant price increase, but oh it felt good!

Peter P.
05-09-2020, 06:37 PM
In Connecticut, barber shops will open on 20 May.

Barbers will be required to wear a face shield or goggles, and a face mask.

Customers will be required to wear a face mask.

Haircuts will be by appointment only (to limit crowding) until further notice.

I heard about my barber shop's upcoming opening through the grapevine and was able to make an appointment via voicemail messages.

Yeah, I look like a slob and was tempted to take clippers to the head many times.

Instead, I decided to endure the progressively more unnkempt look as a show of solidarity for those are TRULY suffering through this pandemic.

johnmdesigner
05-09-2020, 06:45 PM
3 pages of comments and not 1 photograph.

gbcoupe
05-09-2020, 06:50 PM

Is this what you wanted? 70's PG.

fignon's barber
05-09-2020, 06:54 PM
What is the plan in your state? Will there be only one person per barber in the shop with a line outside of guys 6 feet apart? Appointments only? Masks required? (I wouldn’t want to be a barber without an N95 mask).

I'm not sure (I'm not actually a barber, I work in healthcare). I think the governor just gave a basic "abundance of caution" directive.

Morgul Bismark
05-09-2020, 07:03 PM
Just been using clippers with no plastic guard for the last few years. Keeping it short is really for the best given how little hair is on top naturally these days anyway. At least it looks neat and tidy, plus it is super easy to maintain (just a few minutes every 2-3 days)

johnmdesigner
05-09-2020, 07:05 PM
Is this what you wanted? 70's PG.

High school yearbook diving is the final stage of confinement.

Seramount
05-09-2020, 07:11 PM
I had to wear a ball cap after an "incident" with the home groomer.

pro tip: do NOT fire up the clippers after 4 whiskeys.

had to shave the dome after one seriously 'unfixable' incident.

gbcoupe
05-09-2020, 07:15 PM
High school yearbook diving is the final stage of confinement.

My yearbook pics are more like Beatles hair.

I'd like to think Peters cut is a dig on Phil, but who knows?

No, I've been out and at em working. Mixing it up with commercial and residential visits. Sometimes fine, sometimes quite unnerving.

GOTHBROOKS
05-09-2020, 08:40 PM
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49876343396_0071afea48_z.jpg

tuxbailey
05-09-2020, 08:44 PM
I received my clippers this week so I am placing my trust in my wife's hand, likely tomorrow.

XXtwindad
05-09-2020, 08:59 PM
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49876343396_0071afea48_z.jpg

Whoa! Winner! Bow down! Still hoping for a podium spot on the “Fro Down.”

shinomaster
05-09-2020, 09:01 PM
I was just thinking about ordering some clippers... for me and my dog to use ;)

Cbh
05-09-2020, 10:34 PM
Got my haircut yesterday. I’m in Texas and 5/8 was the first day salons and barber shops could open. My barber is in one of those individual salon suites in a larger building. They only allow one person in at a time and everyone has to wait in their car until their appointment. I wore a mask and so did my barber.

Louis
05-09-2020, 11:07 PM
Last Sunday I gave myself a DIY buzz-cut (which is as short as I get it at a "real" barber anyway) and I'm quite happy with the results. Not perfect, but an order of magnitude better than the way, way too long look I had.

In general it was easier than I expected (I used my long-haired cat's Wahl clippers - they're for all intents and purposes identical to a human model) but doing behind the ears was a bit of a hassle. I used a #3 comb on top and a #2 on the sides and back.

Overall it was enough of a hassle that I'm going to continue to go to a barber when they reopen, but there's no way I'm ever going to bother to pay the big $$ for one of the high-zoot places. Now that I have a feel for the degree of difficulty to get what I consider is good enough for me, I've lost all interest in gong upscale for that sort of thing.

m_sasso
05-10-2020, 01:13 AM
OK, maybe its getting a little out of hand!

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-tech.com-vbulletin/450x600/80-picture_php_pictureid_80524_cc17343e47a19c677d61c0 7356f190d8e4abb1f4.jpg

Louis
05-10-2020, 01:35 AM
That's a lot of hair growth in just two months... ;)

Steve in SLO
05-10-2020, 01:52 AM
Fro Down ca. 1977

oldpotatoe
05-10-2020, 05:36 AM
Anyone ventured into an establishment for a haircut yet? Barbershops open here tomorrow, but I assume my local place will be packed. I'm in urgent need, as my hair has ventured into the no man's land between a Trump and a man bun.

Pay your money and take your chances..and hope the guy just before you wasn't infected. :eek:

People were staying apart, the infection 'curve' flattens..people getting close together now..the 'curve' either stays the same(pushing 80,000 DEAD as of this AM) or rises..hope nobody is surprised..even though 'herd immunity' is the goal of some sitting in the big chair..a LOT of people are going to die..not me, no haircut till vaccine..

RFC
05-10-2020, 06:55 AM
Pay your money and take your chances..and hope the guy just before you wasn't infected. :eek:

People were staying apart, the infection 'curve' flattens..people getting close together now..the 'curve' either stays the same(pushing 80,000 DEAD as of this AM) or rises..hope nobody is surprised..even though 'herd immunity' is the goal of some sitting in the big chair..a LOT of people are going to die..not me, no haircut till vaccine..

+1 No haircut for me yet and no rush to get one. I'm going for that "crazy old man with a grey pony tail" look. Since I'm handling aribitrations remotely and all of my public speaking gigs have been canceled, I can get away with it.

Maybe the new normal.

Matthew
05-10-2020, 08:06 AM
Will be lucky to ever have a vaccine. Gonna be a lot of long haired folks around.

Tony T
05-10-2020, 08:26 AM
got my haircut yesterday. I’m in texas and 5/8 was the first day salons and barber shops could open. My barber is in one of those individual salon suites in a larger building. They only allow one person in at a time and everyone has to wait in their car until their appointment. i wore a mask and so did my barber.

n95?

grateful
05-10-2020, 08:36 AM
I went to a larger supermarket yesterday (HEB). I live in a semi-rural Austin burb and we have a small supermarket so I only go to the big stores on occasion. What I saw yesterday terrified me. Mark my words, there will be a huge spike in Central Texas in the next couple of weeks. It is not going to be pretty.

Tony T
05-10-2020, 08:49 AM
In CT, I see a lot of people that feel safe (based on the distance they keep from others) with their paper or bandana masks.

MikeD
05-10-2020, 09:39 AM

47,000 according to the CDC, and that's inflated because they include suspected COVID and if someone dies of a heart attack, for example, and has COVID, it counts as COVID. And, as you know, the vast majority of deaths are with people with underlying health conditions. So, I'll take my chances and live my life. People like you can keep yourselves locked up. And a vaccine? That may never come or be effective.

Tony T
05-10-2020, 09:48 AM
47,000 according to the CDC, and that's inflated because they include suspected COVID and if someone dies of a heart attack, for example, and has COVID, it counts as COVID.

77,000 US deaths according to the CDC (with 1,550 new deaths since yesterday)
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

C40_guy
05-10-2020, 09:52 AM
I received my clippers this week so I am placing my trust in my wife's hand, likely tomorrow.

Just be ready for her to stop halfway through and reiterate her request for something (diamonds, new car, third child, you taking out the garbage/cleaning the attic...) :)

oldguy00
05-10-2020, 10:13 AM
I've been doing my own with clippers for about 5 years now, as well as my sons hair (he's 12 now..).
Honest guess is that between the two of us I save a good $450 per year on hair cuts.
Pretty simple for me, #2 on sides and back, #3 to blend towards top, #8 (or sometimes #7) on top. Its pretty damn easy! :)

MikeD
05-10-2020, 10:23 AM

Why the difference? https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

akelman
05-10-2020, 10:39 AM

You're looking at provisional numbers. The provisional count is a couple of weeks behind the actual count. The larger number—roughly 80,000 as of today—most experts agree, also significantly undercounts the actual number of deaths from C-19.

Tony T
05-10-2020, 10:43 AM

NYT reporting 79,000 US deaths:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/coronavirus-maps.html?action=click&pgtype=Article&state=default&module=styln-coronavirus&variant=show&region=TOP_BANNER&context=storyline_menu

OtayBW
05-10-2020, 10:44 AM
And that's not counting states that have stopped reporting....(isn't that special....).

oldpotatoe
05-11-2020, 06:25 AM
47,000 according to the CDC, and that's inflated because they include suspected COVID and if someone dies of a heart attack, for example, and has COVID, it counts as COVID. And, as you know, the vast majority of deaths are with people with underlying health conditions. So, I'll take my chances and live my life. People like you can keep yourselves locked up. And a vaccine? That may never come or be effective.

78,771 from CDC as of this morning...'over reported to hurt somebody politically'..is the latest conspiracy.

"People like me'??, as in, you do whatever you want, believe anything you want but you have NO RIGHT to make me sick..Of course, 'people like me', ought to just step up, get sick, let the disease 'wash over us', get that herd immunity..who cares if we lose 150,000+++ or so 'old people', they are just in the way..eh?
And that's not counting states that have stopped reporting....(isn't that special....).

Because that doesn't fit into their POLITICAL agenda.....'happy days are here again', go out and spend, spend, spend..and get sick, sick, sick......

AngryScientist
05-11-2020, 06:32 AM
Ahh,

very clever.

akelman, miked, Tony OldP

stealth COVID thread, brilliant.

i think the forums been a lot nicer place to hang out without the polarizing covid talk. let's keep it that way until there is some real developments.