PDA

View Full Version : OT: Good Golly, Miss Molly - Little Richard is gone

Bruce K
05-09-2020, 09:35 AM
Great entertainer and music legend.

BK

dave thompson
05-09-2020, 10:45 AM
I’m a child of the That Rock n Roll era, Little Richard was my leader. My Mom was a big band singer during the late 30’s and early 40’s so I heard tons of that music growing up; big bands, crooners, swing and the like. When I was in Junior High Little Richard exploded on the scene and changed my personal musical taste forever. I have zero musical talent, I play a radio badly, but boy do I love the hard-driving beat that makes my feet move.

My Little Richard experience; I lived into Seattle area nearly 20 years and every year went to the Washington State Fair with the family. The music featured primarily country musicians with a smattering of old time Rock n Rollers; Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee, Beach Boys and one year, Little Richard. My wife, my 10 year old son were seated sort of mid-crowd for his ‘concert’. Before his appearance Little Richard went through the audience passing out religious pamphlets, he had become a serious ordained minister later in his life.

Finally he was introduced, came out and sat at his piano. His unique sound exploded from the stage and everyone started movin’. Suddenly he stopped, scanned the crowd and shouted “This ain’t good. I need some kids up here on stage!” My 10 year old son, brought up on my 50’s Rock n Roll music, was out of his chair like a shot and ran to the stage. He and several other young people got to spend the entire concert on stage.

My son was my hero for months when he asked me to buy him a Little Richard album.

wc1934
05-09-2020, 12:10 PM
Sad news. Looks like Jerry Lee Lewis is the Lone Ranger.

Ken Robb
05-09-2020, 12:51 PM
Sad news. Looks like Jerry Lee Lewis is the Lone Ranger.

Well, we still have Pat Boone who covered many of the other guys like Richard Penniman. :)

wc1934
05-09-2020, 07:32 PM
Well, we still have Pat Boone who covered many of the other guys like Richard Penniman. :)

Nah, nope, no way - he couldn't tickle the ivories.

gasman
05-09-2020, 07:49 PM
I’m a child of the That Rock n Roll era, Little Richard was my leader. My Mom was a big band singer during the late 30’s and early 40’s so I heard tons of that music growing up; big bands, crooners, swing and the like. When I was in Junior High Little Richard exploded on the scene and changed my personal musical taste forever. I have zero musical talent, I play a radio badly, but boy do I love the hard-driving beat that makes my feet move.

My Little Richard experience; I lived into Seattle area nearly 20 years and every year went to the Washington State Fair with the family. The music featured primarily country musicians with a smattering of old time Rock n Rollers; Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee, Beach Boys and one year, Little Richard. My wife, my 10 year old son were seated sort of mid-crowd for his ‘concert’. Before his appearance Little Richard went through the audience passing out religious pamphlets, he had become a serious ordained minister later in his life.

Finally he was introduced, came out and sat at his piano. His unique sound exploded from the stage and everyone started movin’. Suddenly he stopped, scanned the crowd and shouted “This ain’t good. I need some kids up here on stage!” My 10 year old son, brought up on my 50’s Rock n Roll music, was out of his chair like a shot and ran to the stage. He and several other young people got to spend the entire concert on stage.

My son was my hero for months when he asked me to buy him a Little Richard album.

Thanks for the nice story Dave !!

David Kirk
05-09-2020, 08:00 PM

Great story Dave.

dave

fiamme red
05-09-2020, 09:49 PM
From the 1956 movie The Girl Can't Help It, here he is singing two songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_cmEr2bw1s.

oliver1850
05-09-2020, 11:32 PM

Pretty sure I have a sealed copy of the 5 LP box set of the Specialty sides if your son is into vinyl.

dave thompson
05-10-2020, 01:26 AM
Pretty sure I have a sealed copy of the 5 LP box set of the Specialty sides if your son is into vinyl.

Thanks. The concert we went to was in ‘95 or thereabouts. He still has his Little Richard CD album though his musical tastes have moved on. He did take that CD with him on his deployments to the Middle East when he was in the Corps.

pinkshogun
05-10-2020, 10:26 AM
Little Richard was/is the King...and maybe the Queen of Rock and Roll but i want to throw some light on Esqeurita

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjJ6okMLGDs

Seramount
05-10-2020, 10:36 AM
my first memories of listening to music are playing 45 rpm records on a little dinky thing that sounded awful, but it was still cool.

the first two records I owned were Harry Belafonte's 'Shrimp Boats are a 'Coming' and LR's 'Good Golly'...

Little Richard got played a lot, Harry not so much.