PDA

View Full Version : Car air mattress

Veloo
05-07-2020, 07:23 AM
Pack one of these on the next over night bike ride.

https://www.adventure-journal.com/2020/04/this-custom-fit-air-mattress-is-a-brilliant-car-based-sleep-system/

https://lunolife.com/

https://www.adventure-journal.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/IMG_1616.jpeg

fmradio516
05-07-2020, 07:36 AM
That is great! Sure beats staying in a hotel during these times!

p nut
05-07-2020, 08:42 AM
Outback? Sure do miss that car.

I’m done with air mattresses. Too many times waking in the middle of the night....on the ground. Air leak or cold night air causing it to lose psi. Too much air, uncomfortable.

I now use roll up foam pad (Simmons, 3”) or 4” fold up pads. So much more comfortable and warmer. Takes up a ton of room but I value sleep much more than cargo room.

Nomadmax
05-07-2020, 08:55 AM
That's a pretty good idea.

A hard 100K bike ride and bottle of wine makes my truck bed pretty comfy ;)

jwin
05-07-2020, 11:22 AM
FWIW air mattresses provide little to no insulation. Using a proper camping mat from REI is a much better proposition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngryScientist
05-07-2020, 11:27 AM
i've rarely found sleeping in my car to be a practical option. usually too hot to sleep with the windows up, and rolling them down lets the bugs in.

that pic makes me laugh too. where is all the gear? where is the bike?

pdmtong
05-07-2020, 11:44 AM
i've rarely found sleeping in my car to be a practical option. usually too hot to sleep with the windows up, and rolling them down lets the bugs in. that pic makes me laugh too. where is all the gear? where is the bike?

the only time that inside worked for me was in Baja - a bit anxious about scorpions etc if laying on the ground.

and yes, where is all the stuff if only you are inside?

Tony
05-07-2020, 11:48 AM
i've rarely found sleeping in my car to be a practical option. usually too hot to sleep with the windows up, and rolling them down lets the bugs in.

that pic makes me laugh too. where is all the gear? where is the bike?

Gear up front, bike/bikes up top? Even with the seats pushed up front still have room on the floor, dash, and front seats for gear.
Much rather sleep in my car (Honda Element) than stay in a hotel.
Built cheap screens to address the bug issue. Thick cardboard and screen material that snaps in place when windows are down.

C40_guy
05-07-2020, 12:11 PM
I slept in a car once. Front seat of a BMW 320i.

Never again. :)

weisan
05-07-2020, 12:11 PM
Built cheap screens to address the bug issue. Thick cardboard and screen material that snaps in place when windows are down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WsBDa8Kzi0

paredown
05-07-2020, 12:15 PM
I've had many sleeps on front or back seats on long trips when I was in a hurry.

Then there was the time that I got out of the back seat, door closed behind me and locked, and I realized the keys were in the car...:eek:

Tony
05-07-2020, 12:23 PM
I've had many sleeps on front or back seats on long trips when I was in a hurry.

Then there was the time that I got out of the back seat, door closed behind me and locked, and I realized the keys were in the car...:eek:

Did the same, now I always have a key hidden somewhere on the outside of my vehicle.

C40_guy
05-07-2020, 12:26 PM
Did the same, now I always have a key hidden somewhere on the outside of my vehicle.

Under a rock in the garden?

:)

Blue Jays
05-07-2020, 01:32 PM
Perhaps that would work well in late-autumn, winter, and early-spring in certain areas.
All-in-all it is not my cup of tea as there are also security considerations depending where parked.
My plan would be to find a reasonably-priced yet satisfactorily-clean motel when we can travel again.

AngryScientist
05-07-2020, 01:37 PM
i just tow my accommodations behind. :)

Clancy
05-07-2020, 01:53 PM
FWIW air mattresses provide little to no insulation. Using a proper camping mat from REI is a much better proposition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My go to for car camping is the REI campbed, 3.5 inches thick, insulated, sleeps almost as good as my bed at home.

This product runs about the same cost and looks great. Inside a car, insulation isn’t needed. Only downside is what to do with all the gear that was in there?

Haven’t had an air mattress ever fail, important to only sleep on a protected surfaces, inside a tent which is also on a ground cloth or on a thin mat if on the ground.

el cheapo
05-07-2020, 02:11 PM
Lots of car and truck sleeping experience. From ski trips in a 1982 Honda Civic Hatchback to a more comfortable Nissan Frontier camper shell. Arctic rated sleeping bag and camping pad a must. Inside of car and camper would frost over! Always have a BIG container handy because you lose a lot of fluid.

choke
05-07-2020, 05:13 PM
This is the best car camping setup for winter that I've ever seen...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlHk0St7Hi4&feature=emb_logo

weisan
05-07-2020, 05:24 PM
Always have a BIG container handy because

you can pee without going outside.

I bought a 12-year-old Honda Odyssey precisely for this purpose. Took the captain seats out, folded down the back bench seat, one side sit the road bike and the gravel bike, the other side is my sleeping pad. All the gear are nicely organized in two containers up front in the middle. The van drives like a nice car, nothing hook to the back, everything stays inside wherever I go ...it's the perfect weekend getaway vehicle and more!

p nut
05-07-2020, 06:24 PM
.... Inside a car, insulation isn’t needed....

May depend on your local climate. But here in the high desert, it gets cold at night. Being inside of the car/truck feels colder than a ground tent. All the air moving all around, including under the car. Wrapped in metal, sapping away all the heat. (Which is why I run carbon bars in the winter instead of alloy).

Having a good insulated sleeping pad is key for me.

Nomadmax
05-30-2020, 02:46 PM
May depend on your local climate. But here in the high desert, it gets cold at night. Being inside of the car/truck feels colder than a ground tent. All the air moving all around, including under the car. Wrapped in metal, sapping away all the heat. (Which is why I run carbon bars in the winter instead of alloy).

Having a good insulated sleeping pad is key for me.

I'm no thermal engineer but the Marine Corps camped me out for a lot of nights. The only way I can see a tent being/feeling warmer than sleeping inside a vehicle is if we're talking about a big GP tent with a stove and cots (which I NEVER had).