PDA

View Full Version : Velo Routier budget 650b

skitlets
05-06-2020, 03:17 PM
https://www.cyclestoussaint.com/products/velo-routier-2-0-650b-low-trail-frame-with-braze-ons

I want to dip my toes into the BQ world of bikes. I could probably swing the Crust lightning bolt this summer but it's still a decent amount of money and I'm not so sure on the sizing. Hoping to visit the HQ for a test ride whenever they safely re-open.

I can't find much info on the Velo Routier. It's selling for $525 with another 20% off. Only a couple testimonials on some google groups from a few years back. Seems a bit overbuilt with 8/5/8 and 1 1/8 diameters all around in the size small. I suspect my current canti space horse uses the same tubes but I can't find concrete info.

The horizontal dropouts are an extreme annoyance that I already deal with on my space horse but I can manage. Not sure what front racks would fit out of the box. If there's a decent selection I may pull the trigger.

I'm mainly looking for something a bit less stiff and heavy than my current ride. If the Velo Routier is in the same ballpark as the space horse I'll hold off. Anyone with experience?

I also have an 89 centurion lemans I could convert to 650b. Won't have much tire clearance though.

AngryScientist
05-06-2020, 03:21 PM
if you're looking for something livlier and lighter than your all-city, a cheap 4130 bike is not the answer.

save a few more bucks and get the LB, it's awesome and worth the extra cash.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-IAfd-0bCjo8/Xno2DTdfrLI/AAAAAAAADlc/hzQKkmsH8gk3MPAfzLIALsCIiNHxg_Z0ACLcBGAsYHQ/s1200/IMG_5219.jpg

mhespenheide
05-06-2020, 04:20 PM
I haven't ridden the Velo-Routier, but scuttlebutt on the 650b google group is that it doesn't "plane" or have that really lightweight feeling.

If you want modern, wait for the LB.

Otherwise, head over to the 650b google group or the Classic and Vintage section of Bikeforums and start looking around for candidates from the late 70's or early 80's to look at converting.

marciero
05-07-2020, 03:59 AM
Speaking of the 650b google group, the current, most recently active thread goes into considerable detail on the finer points of the current LB V2 vs V1, including tubing spec, weight, disc fork. Not sure if they are all disc or if disc is an option. [Edit: Apparently disc is an option. Several threads on the LB on the 650b group.]

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/650b/Al9-p8fZ2rQ

marciero
05-07-2020, 04:11 AM
...and worth mentioning that the Winter 2019 Bicycle Quarterly reviewed the LB Crust and gave it a very favorable review. If you are familiar with BQ you know they really take a bike through its paces. The test ride was a 335 mile ride in the Cascades.

KVN
05-07-2020, 07:45 AM
A VR is a really good option if you want to try out 650b low trail geo and handling. It's a good value, probably the best out there, but yeah, don't expect to be getting the same tubing quality as the Crust canti LB.

R3awak3n
05-07-2020, 09:07 AM
A VR is a really good option if you want to try out 650b low trail geo and handling. It's a good value, probably the best out there, but yeah, don't expect to be getting the same tubing quality as the Crust canti LB.

this 100%. If you want to check out what low trail is about and don't want to break the bank, $420 is a really good deal. The tubing will be meh, it will be heavy and probably ride ok. That said, if you are over 200lbs you not going to be on the LB or any magical BQ Jan Hein super light floating tubing bikes so this might actually work better for you.

AngryScientist
05-07-2020, 09:10 AM
i think i'm going to ride my bolt this weekend. :hello:

KVN
05-07-2020, 11:26 AM
Also of note, is that the tubing is not bad. It's 7/5/7 OS on the TT and 8/5/8 ST. That puts it in the same boat as Black Mountain and a notch above Surly.

This tubing spreadsheet is super helpful: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XeS2nJhBPSDRbqgG1-F2VOI_vK1QZnZmysARDJWyGps/edit#gid=500288468

spoonrobot
05-07-2020, 01:58 PM
The head tube angle on the space horse is a little shallow - but the Soma low-trail conversion fork will give you low-trail (on the middle end of low-trail as it's going to be ~40mm depending on tire)

https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/champs-elysees-low-trail-touring-fork

The fork is one of the most compliant production forks I've ever tried, enough so that it can change the character of the bike it's installed on.

But honestly the VR is such a deal I'd buy that if I was in your shoes. I incrementally converted my main road bike to a BQ-style bike and have 0 regrets.

skitlets
05-08-2020, 11:35 AM
Thanks all for the feedback. It was very helpful. I think I'll hold off for the lighter Crust canti.

The VR seems like an incremental change and would be my first choice if I were starting from scratch. I'm not worried about trying low trail since I always ride with a front rack and bag.

I just want to try a flexier bike. The space horse only flexes when I'm sprinting out of the saddle and I do enjoy that sensation.

Very interesting that the dimensions for the VR and Crust Disc are closely matched. Those disc forks must be heavy.