PDA

View Full Version : ASSOS Bikes

shamsixnine
05-06-2020, 01:26 PM
Back in the 80's when I raced track, someone once showed up with ASSOS wheels and crankset. Looked real exotic and special. Now I see that ASSOS has a minority stake at https://www.goomahbike.com

Interesting choice of brand name for a Swiss bike company.

LJohnny
05-06-2020, 05:59 PM
Assos was one of the first to come up with a carbon fiber bike back in the day. They stopped that side of their biz, until a about 5-6 yrs ago when they started the line you are pointing out.
So, not a new development by any means for Assos...

gbcoupe
05-06-2020, 07:05 PM
Bought mine in 2013 after I did a 10 day Italian bike-hotel vacation tour. Danielo Nardello was the guest tour guide. He was on the Assos race team and had one of these. I spent a good amount of time looking at his backside and bike.

The frames were on sale at Excel (I think) when I got back home. Had to have one. My wife wasn't upset that I bought it. She was upset because that was going to be my Christmas present. Lucky me.

earlfoss
05-06-2020, 09:00 PM
Nardello seems like a cool guy. He had a great career. Riding with him must've been a wonderful experience!

9tubes
05-07-2020, 02:09 PM
Back in the 80's when I raced track, someone once showed up with ASSOS wheels and crankset. Looked real exotic and special. Now I see that ASSOS has a minority stake at https://www.goomahbike.com

Interesting choice of brand name for a Swiss bike company.

Yeah, a bit offensive. Surprising.

Assos might be Swiss but it is in the most Italian part of Switzerland and about a hundred meters from the border.

gbcoupe
05-07-2020, 06:53 PM
Nardello seems like a cool guy. He had a great career. Riding with him must've been a wonderful experience!

It was much fun. Accommodations and routes were great. Danielo was quite down to earth. Very friendly, fixed a flat for me (wouldn't let me do it myself), and fetched a water bottle that had jettisoned on a bumpy downhill. I said he was my domestique.

Yeah, a bit offensive. Surprising.

Assos might be Swiss but it is in the most Italian part of Switzerland and about a hundred meters from the border.

I see where you're coming from, but I think the name is kinda tongue in cheek. The bike is the "mistress" for many.

EliteVelo
05-08-2020, 05:40 AM
Bought mine in 2013 after I did a 10 day Italian bike-hotel vacation tour. Danielo Nardello was the guest tour guide. He was on the Assos race team and had one of these. I spent a good amount of time looking at his backside and bike.

The frames were on sale at Excel (I think) when I got back home. Had to have one. My wife wasn't upset that I bought it. She was upset because that was going to be my Christmas present. Lucky me.

I had one at one time as well, and still miss it.....I'm not sure if I'd rather have the bike or your collection in the backdrop:)