PDA

View Full Version : Hit and run killed my bike rack

cinema
05-06-2020, 11:06 AM
Anyone have any experience with something like this?

Hit and run driver destroyed my rear bumper/1-up bike rack. rack was in upright position not in use. I haven't called insurance yet but did file a report with sheriff. I have uninsured motorist insurance and i'm wondering if my rates will go up if i file a claim. Huge bummer.

AngryScientist
05-06-2020, 11:10 AM
ugh, that really sucks.

which bike got the crush? something production or something custom and/or rare?

C40_guy
05-06-2020, 11:11 AM

Hit and run driver destroyed my rear bumper/1-up bike rack. rack was in upright position not in use. I haven't called insurance yet but did file a report with sheriff. I have uninsured motorist insurance and i'm wondering if my rates will go up if i file a claim. Huge bummer.

Daughter had car totalled while parked. Didn't seem to affect her rates (MA policy).

If your deductible is anywhere close to the total cost of the repair, it's not worth filing...

By the way, if bikes were on the rack, they may be covered by homeowner's insurance.

Also, btw, depending on where you were hit, local security cams might have recorded the incident...

Skenry
05-06-2020, 11:13 AM
Yes, if you use your insurance it's going to go up next year.

cinema
05-06-2020, 11:16 AM
My policy does not list a deductible for UMPD:

"Uninsured Motorist Property Damage pays for damage to your vehicle caused by an uninsured, underinsured or a hit-and-run motorist. This coverage is subject to the terms, limits and conditions of the policy contract.

Uninsured Motorist Property Damage (includes Underinsured Motorist Property Damage) will pay a maximum limit of $3,500 for any single accident. If you select Uninsured Motirists Property Damage, this coverage must be carried on all vehicles without Collision coverage. Vehicles may not carry Uninsured Motorists Property Damage and Collision coverage together to avoid double coverage for the same accidents. In deciding whether to carry Uninsured Motorist Property Damage, you may want to consider the present value of your vehicle and the cost of the coverage."

I also carry comprehensive which is $100 deductible. would be nice if the deductible for UMPD is equal to or less than that. I don't really want to call insurance until I get this figured out in case they decide to do something sneaky and raise my rates

Ralph
05-06-2020, 11:23 AM
Call your insurance carrier and ask them if it is worthwhile to file a claim. Is what I would do.

robt57
05-06-2020, 11:53 AM

Used to be the magic number on premium increases was $3k in 3 years which your INS could not charge/subrogate for.

Don't feel bad though. Someone love tapped [with passion] the rear of our CUV a few years ago. No visible damage to the car at first. Turned out the entire floor pan up to the factory seam behind the front seats had to be replaced. Car was 15 mo. old, this may well have totaled a 5+ year car in this 27k price range new. The invoice subrogated with rental car was over $14k.

I say don't feel bad, maybe you should look underneath. It was not until I saw the angle of the hitch frame and opened the rear to see the floor pushed up a few inches the extent of the damage.

robt57
05-06-2020, 11:54 AM
Call your insurance carrier and ask them if it is worthwhile to file a claim. Is what I would do.

Remind me when you sit to a poker game upcoming. ;)

p nut
05-06-2020, 12:05 PM
A guy with a suspended license sideswiped my wife a few years ago. Clearly at fault and the cop wrote him a ticket. His insurance, Progressive, refused to pay. I claimed it on my insurance, as they were going to go after this guy. But in the end, my rates went up. Not a ton but went up. Wasn’t too happy about that.

Was this at home? Maybe homeowners insurance would be a better route. Although maybe that raises your rates, too.

William
05-06-2020, 12:06 PM
...Someone love tapped [with passion] the rear of our CUV a few years ago. No visible damage to the car at first. Turned out the entire floor pan up to the factory seam behind the front seats had to be replaced. Car was 15 mo. old, this may well have totaled a 5+ year car in this 27k price range new. The invoice subrogated with rental car was over $14k.

I say don't feel bad, maybe you should look underneath. It was not until I saw the angle of the hitch frame and opened the rear to see the floor pushed up a few inches the extent of the damage.

Trailer hitches, nerf bars, and brush guards...all possible damage multipliers. Many times a hit that would have done minor damage to a bumper/grill/doors turns into bent frames, damaged floor pans/unibody, or destroyed front ends. Definitely get the underside checked out.

W.

cinema
05-06-2020, 12:21 PM
Just confirmed there is no coverage in CA for unidentified hit and runs. But i have some leftover debris from other vehicle which i can use to help track. Was likely local as it was in a private driveway

robt57
05-06-2020, 12:26 PM
Trailer hitches, nerf bars, and brush guards...all possible damage multipliers.

Not so much multiplier as moving same energy in this case. Same energy is going someplace, so I do not buy the multiplier/amplifier logic personally.

If not for the hitch taking the energy I see two quarters, or one if off center hit. But he drove straight into our car looking at his phone. I recall now that the cover had to be replaced and also the right quarter rippled a tiny spot. So my use of the word 'passionate' in terms of 'the luv tap' I tend to use to explain seem apropos.

But OP needs to look under or get an adjuster to exam the car if the damage may be more that the eye may see, was my point.

In our case, the buy came onto the road from a bi-pass off ramp ramp, prob looked up the see the cars at the light which I suspect had just lifted feet off the brake as the light turned green.. Saw green light, no brake lights... Then just looked back down to txting activities while on the gas and just drove into my wife as she had just started moving forward. No skid marks or tires screeching at all sez my wife.

This was in 2015-16, I forget.

Now the lady 2 months ago that backed her husbands truck into my wifes 1 year old car [remove your ball receivers when not using them!]. I am less clear as to the multiper/amplifier points. They had to replace the entire hatch I guess says it all. Wife walked out to see her putting a note on the parked car, impressed by that anyway. But other folks saw it happen too, so perhaps not that impressive.

Which reminds me to REMIND ALL READING:

ADD the OEM parts endorsements to your Car INS. At least she got a new Honda Hatch on her one year old car and not an aftermarket profit driven product/hatch...

If you don't, isn't really just a matter of time before your car has cheap replacement bumper covers on your cars?

William
05-06-2020, 12:34 PM
Not so much multiplier as moving same energy in this case. Same energy is going someplace, so I do not buy the multiplier/amplifier logic personally....

"Damage Multiplier" - I was using the term in the monetary sense, not so much in the physics sense.

But OP needs to look under or get an adjuster to exam the car if the damage may be more that the eye may see, was my point.

Mine as well.

W.

robt57
05-06-2020, 12:36 PM
Was likely local as it was in a private driveway

Or tradesman Amazon/UPS/FED-X using your driveway for his U turn? Since I retired I am amazed how many times a week this occurs in my driveway. Being home more to see it. And I am 2 houses from the big round turnaround in the cul-de-sac. MEH!

jtakeda
05-06-2020, 12:38 PM
Just confirmed there is no coverage in CA for unidentified hit and runs. But i have some leftover debris from other vehicle which i can use to help track. Was likely local as it was in a private driveway

What the hell are we paying for then?
That’s such crap. Upload a pic of the debris and let’s see if we can ID it based on paint

C40_guy
05-06-2020, 12:45 PM

Check neighbors for Ring (and similar) doorbells which may have recorded incident...

cinema
05-06-2020, 12:55 PM
Spent all morning going around asking for cameras on businesses and homes and there's nothing. Yeah, sucks. I spent a long time working to get one of these racks and spent a lot of money to get a 2" hitch installed for it. it was nice being able to move it from my commuter car to my bug out vehicle which has the 2".

I don't have much to go on other than it's a nissan. the piece looks to be the passenger rear side of a 2008ish nissan quest

https://i.ibb.co/3h6Hpqb/IMG-5565.jpg

fmradio516
05-06-2020, 01:06 PM
Spent all morning going around asking for cameras on businesses and homes and there's nothing. Yeah, sucks. I spent a long time working to get one of these racks and spent a lot of money to get a 2" hitch installed for it. it was nice being able to move it from my commuter car to my bug out vehicle which has the 2".

I don't have much to go on other than it's a nissan that must have been backing out (as this could only be a brake light cover--red). Based on what I can gather from orientation, that would mean the offenders driver side rear if this is the debris from the accident. The plastic debris says nissan in the corner.

Just curious, was the damage obvious on your car? If it wasnt crazy obvious, the offender might come back thinking its safe enough and maybe you wont notice till enough time passed. Id be peeping out of your window all day.

cinema
05-06-2020, 01:08 PM
Just curious, was the damage obvious on your car? If it wasnt crazy obvious, the offender might come back thinking its safe enough and maybe you wont notice till enough time passed. Id be peeping out of your window all day.

yeah, i'm nosing around the neighborhood and it probably looks like i'm casing peoples homes. my car was actually parked on the street but directly off of, and perpendicular to the private driveway. only could have come out of the driveway based on the damage.

fmradio516
05-06-2020, 01:10 PM
yeah, i'm nosing around the neighborhood and it probably looks like i'm casing peoples homes. my car was actually parked on the street but directly off of, and perpendicular to the private driveway. only could have come out of the driveway based on the damage.

Perfect, so that person most likely will be back. But they may replace the taillight before then.