PDA

View Full Version : Abbey HAG vs Park DAG 2.2 vs Var CD-13900

Veloo
05-06-2020, 07:17 AM
For those that have owned/ used more than one of these to be able to compare, which did you like better and why? I realize the Abbey is quite a bit more pricey.
Did you find having and actual "ruler" on the Var made much difference?

Abbey HAG
https://www.abbeybiketools.com/products/hag

Park DAG 2.2
https://www.parktool.com/product/derailleur-hanger-alignment-gauge-dag-2-2

Var CD-13900
https://www.vartools.com/de/derailleur-hanger-alignment-gauge-var-p72.php

Spaghetti Legs
05-06-2020, 07:34 AM
I have only used the Park, but I like the idea of the scale printed on the Var. Sometimes it’s tricky to swing the arm to a different place on the wheel without moving the marker, especially if there’s a tire on the wheel. I often make a mark with a grease pencil.

jb_11
05-06-2020, 09:10 AM
I have the Park DAG. It's certainly serviceable, but there is some play in it. Once you use it a bit, you can develop a routine to work around it. The Abbey one is supposed to be very tight/repeatable.

Octave
05-06-2020, 09:31 AM
I've used the Park DAG and the Abbey HAG, and there is absolutely no question that the Abbey is a superior tool. The repeatability and tolerances are not comparable. With the DAG I would go through multiple alignments before finding the perfect placement, while the HAG is a one-and-done tool.

If you have the scratch, I've yet to use any Abbey tool that wasn't worth the money. It's hard to describe the difference between good and cheap tools until you use them, much like it's hard to describe the value in a quality bike frame to someone who has only ever ridden a cheap off-the-peg clunker.

zzy
05-06-2020, 09:33 AM
HAG by a mile, especially if you can find an older one.

jpritchet74
05-06-2020, 10:33 AM
I have the Abbey HAG and absolutely love it.

davidb
05-06-2020, 11:34 AM
HAG by a mile, especially if you can find an older one.

I can second that. Having used all three. The ruler is useless. The Park is good enough for most. The Abby allows you to pivot the head/stick so it easy to check between the chain/seat stays. The new ones do not seem to work a well as the first generation. If you use it every day the Abby is money well sprint.

Idris Icabod
05-06-2020, 12:51 PM
I borrowed a Park DAG to realign a derailleur hanger and found it annoying having to move the gauge to rotate the tool to check alignment so when I decided to get my own tool I bought the Abbey HAG since it is round and you just rotate and turn. It is expensive but it is such a nice tool, I have no buyers remorse. I got mine from competitive cyclist using one of their 20% off coupons.

fmradio516
05-06-2020, 12:52 PM
I got mine from competitive cyclist using one of their 20% off coupons.

Thats a good tip. This thread makes me want to replace my park one with an Abbey but im too cheap to pay full price.

unterhausen
05-06-2020, 01:17 PM
I got one of the Shimano tools off of ebay. Sold my DAG

tumbler
05-06-2020, 01:46 PM
The Park DAG is just ok. Sliding the little pointer gauge up and down the shaft that's what she said is kind of scratchy and unpleasant. It works and will get the job done, but if you have the funds and are looking for something special, the Abbey seems much nicer.

FriarQuade
05-06-2020, 05:08 PM
One of these tools is an instrument, the rest are glorified pry bars.

sw3759
05-06-2020, 07:21 PM

thats probably about right..sadly i own the Park for decade or so.it works better than nothing but the play is bit of unnerving

Tandem Rider
05-06-2020, 08:04 PM

I've been getting by with an old Campy R tool for decades. It's a little primitive for modern drivetrains. I need to come over, and purchase one of yours.

Gummee
05-06-2020, 08:29 PM
Van has a Park. I own an Abbey.

Haven't tried the VAR.

The slop in the Park is work-around-able, but it a PITA.

M

FriarQuade
05-06-2020, 08:43 PM
I've been getting by with an old Campy R tool for decades. It's a little primitive for modern drivetrains. I need to come over, and purchase one of yours.

I love campagnolo but that tool should have died when index shifting became the norm.

572cv
05-06-2020, 09:15 PM
The Abbey HAG isn’t just effective. It is beautifully conceived and executed. Great design deserves appreciation. I’m happy to pay something for that, too.

Peter B
05-06-2020, 10:33 PM

Abbey HAG. Or any tool the Friar makes. Top notch tools...er...instruments!

m_sasso
05-06-2020, 10:35 PM
Why not spend the most and get the best, Ultra Tru-Arc Hanger Alignment Tool

https://www.efficientvelo.com/tools/ultra-tru-arc-derailleur-hanger-alignment-tool

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5be9e7a2e17ba3ba46f5a5e9/1542061642008-VMDI5KXITWWZOGH6IK71/ke17ZwdGBToddI8pDm48kOggE0Ch6pMGalwtLMqzsSB7gQa3H7 8H3Y0txjaiv_0fDoOvxcdMmMKkDsyUqMSsMWxHk725yiiHCCLf rh8O1z5QPOohDIaIeljMHgDF5CVlOqpeNLcJ80NK65_fV7S1Uf o5RWkg_J4of0jUNHaDHx6pZKBvpVYzidBWCapg0tuoMuEaB2HP GSYDV-11UTcW2g/truarc8.jpg?format=2500w

oldpotatoe
05-07-2020, 06:43 AM
I love campagnolo but that tool should have died when index shifting became the norm.

It DID die..that tool was never meant for modern shifting systems. And unless in a Campag tool kit those last made in something like the late 70s, early 80s..

DrewK
05-07-2020, 06:46 AM
go big or go home.

https://www.efficientvelo.com/tools/ultra-tru-arc-derailleur-hanger-alignment-tool

Drewhartman
05-08-2020, 08:27 PM
Ive used my hag alot in a shop setting for years, I've had the brass bushing replaced when it developed a little play, which is to say very little. Worth the money.

Tandem Rider
05-08-2020, 08:45 PM
It DID die..that tool was never meant for modern shifting systems. And unless in a Campag tool kit those last made in something like the late 70s, early 80s..

Well.... I guess I have had it a while. It has straightened an awful lot of hangers over the years though, recovery from crashes in the P12's, mine and others too. I guess I should ride over to FQ's shop after the the pandemic is over and bring one home.

Andy sti
05-08-2020, 09:15 PM
I have a bent hanger right now from a crash a week ago. Paragon is out of replacements - Hurry up and get the HAG so I can ride over and you can use it on my bike!:banana:

oldpotatoe
05-09-2020, 06:17 AM
Well.... I guess I have had it a while. It has straightened an awful lot of hangers over the years though, recovery from crashes in the P12's, mine and others too. I guess I should ride over to FQ's shop after the the pandemic is over and bring one home.

I still have mine and with a wee straight edge, it still works fine. BUT, even in a shop setting, you don't use this that often, yes, with butter soft rear der hangers, it got pulled out a fair amount, and I appreciate the Abbey one but......:)

davidb
05-09-2020, 08:42 AM
go big or go home.

Having tried this, it offers no improvement over an Abbey.

Hakkalugi
05-09-2020, 09:34 AM
As soon as I got my HAG, I gave my DAG to a buddy who doesn’t know how to fix bikes. I know it’ll never get used, which is just fine.

Also huge thanks to my awesome sister, who got me the HAG for my birthday.