PDA

View Full Version : Athena shifter compatibility

TexasJohn
05-06-2020, 01:02 AM
For those smarter than I,

I have 2010 era Athena 11sp controls with Ultra-Shift internals. Found them NOS, so in pretty good shape. Works fine with RD (short cage) from a newer model year.

I want to go to 32-tooth Potenza 11sp cassette and either a new Potenza or Chorus medium cage RD. Will I run into any compatibility issues or shifting concerns?

Thanks for your help...

TJ

Ralph
05-06-2020, 06:19 AM
I think you will. However some will say not enough to notice much.

I know the very last Veloce and Centaur 10 speed med cage RD are directly compatible. The Veloce is fairly nice and cheap on E Bay.

oldpotatoe
05-06-2020, 06:27 AM
For those smarter than I,

I have 2010 era Athena 11sp controls with Ultra-Shift internals. Found them NOS, so in pretty good shape. Works fine with RD (short cage) from a newer model year.

I want to go to 32-tooth Potenza 11sp cassette and either a new Potenza or Chorus medium cage RD. Will I run into any compatibility issues or shifting concerns?

Thanks for your help...

TJ

No, plug and play. The Chorus has stiffer return spring so probably would work more better.

TexasJohn
05-06-2020, 10:16 AM
No, plug and play. The Chorus has stiffer return spring so probably would work more better.

So, no cable-pull / ratio issues pre 2015 / post 2015? Just confirming...Thanks again!