PDA

View Full Version : Online group rides/training

tourmalet
05-05-2020, 10:12 PM
A couple of riders in my area have been hosting an indoor training clinic for the last few weeks as a fundraiser for our LBS. We meet over Zoom and follow a set workout.

I've been enjoying them more than I expected, and would like to find something similar once they're through. I'm looking for structured training of the TrainerRoad/Zwift/Sufferfest variety but with the human touch of a coach and fellow riders.

Ideas?

AngryScientist
05-05-2020, 10:20 PM
i assume you meant this for the GD section, moved for you.

i like what you're thinking though. i could get into a regular weekday evening group ride via virtual outlets. it would definitely be more likely to happen if friends were on and there was some actual accountability.

interested in the responses and ideas.

Blue Jays
05-05-2020, 10:33 PM
Zwift just sent an email about making it easier to arrange private rides with groups of friends.

hollowgram5
05-05-2020, 10:40 PM
Some work pals and I did Zwift meetups and chatted during the ride on Discord. Did similar with a buddy from Minnesota as well.

Its a cool way to do it, and Zwift sent out an email that the updated a lot of the Meetup features.

Here's some of their update:

Zwift Meetups have leveled up!
Thanks to new enhancements, there's never been a better time to organize your own group ride or run. So, what did we do?

Higher Participant Capacity
We doubled Meetup capacity. Once upon a time, Meetups were capped at 50 people, now up to 100 can be invited to a single event.

Increased World Choices
Now you can link up with your group in six Zwift worlds—from Innsbruck, London, and New York to Richmond, Yorkshire, and Watopia.

Meetup-Only View
Hide other Zwifters from your in-game view. What exactly does this mean? Well, now you can ride or run in your selected world with just your Meetup crew for company. That's right—you'll only see the Zwifters that you care about.

Pierre
05-08-2020, 03:02 PM
Here in the west end of Toronto we’ve been experimenting with group riding on the Xertonline platform. Xert in itself provides some awesome workouts and constantly provides you with updates on your “fitness signature” comprised of three variables one being FTP. A side benefit being that you never have to undergo another FTP test ever again. As someone else said, what makes it very interesting is that people you know join in for the ride, we all watch the same video of selected live footage in background and we “race” on the leaderboard following a pre-established structured workout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teleguy57
05-08-2020, 03:15 PM
Have you checked out the relatively new group workouts capability on TrainerRoad (https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling-group-workouts)itself? Currently limited to 4 people, but they are working on expanding the number. Cool model using their stuctured workouts.

More discussion (https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/group-workouts-are-here/32441) on their forum.

Dired
05-08-2020, 03:35 PM
Would be interested if anything is organized on zwift. There was a big group ride yesterday and sounded like they were having a blast.

loxx0050
05-08-2020, 07:58 PM
Trainnerroad recently added a group workout feature. I believe it allows up to 5 total people to join a code one provides for a certain workout. You can see and hear each other over video.

Not my thing but it's there. Plus my fans I run for trainer sessions would create way too much background noise anyways.

gasman
05-08-2020, 10:22 PM
I have a group I did some Trainer Road group rides with when the weather was cold and rainy. Since we've had an usually nice April and May I've been riding solo outside. The TR app works well, and you're correct it accommodates 5.

Rob1519
05-09-2020, 07:24 AM
My local club uses Zwift Meetups with Discord. Its actually a lot fun to ride and chat virtually with people you know.

If there is interest I can set up a Paceline Meetup group and establish a Paceline Discord channel.

Rob