PDA

View Full Version : online shipping - wont ship to my country

d_douglas
05-05-2020, 11:32 AM
Hi all:

I was looking at purchasing some Ritchey parts and Fizik shoes online from Bike24 in Germany. Their site says that they currently wont ship to Canada due to COVID-19. I am not sure what the reasoning is on this - would it be that they have fewer staff, so theyre concentrating on higher order volume countries (like the US) and leaving Canada out? Is there something about importation of foreign goods that run the risk of transmitting Coronavirus?

I assume that at some point, they will lift this ban, but I have no idea if and when. It seems weird to me that they ship to some countries, but not to others.

First world problems. I can just use my perfectly functional Kona seatpost and not bother buying anything :rolleyes:

flying
05-05-2020, 11:45 AM
I think it is Canada that is not accepting packages from certain countries for now?
https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/our-company/news-and-media/service-alerts.page

Red alert: Canada Post is not accepting mail and parcels for these destinations due to a temporary service disruption.

Although looking at list I see Germany is "Service Available" Might need to double check with bike24

makoti
05-05-2020, 12:09 PM
I'd offer to be a go-between, but I'm sure that would jack the shipping way up.

echappist
05-05-2020, 12:26 PM
Also German, and also carries both Ritchey and Fizik. Perhaps give them a try (personally have had good experiences with both bike24 and hibike).

Also, there's all4cycling from Italy (https://www.all4cycling.com/en/?___from_store=it).

deechee
05-05-2020, 12:54 PM
That's annoying. I ordered from bike24 last year to get some Ritchey parts since they're now only with QBP and my LBS doesn't deal with them - since, like most Canadian shops they use LTP and Lambert.

If it makes you feel any better, my dad was just complaining about the lead times from Amazon Japan to Quebec. I keep telling him to stop ordering toys for his grandson but its not like he listens.

ultraman6970
05-05-2020, 01:12 PM
What you can do is to ship the bike to the US to somebody, and then do US-Canada.. the issue is how long it will take and will pay shipping twice besides the taxes in canada.

LongtailRider
05-05-2020, 01:25 PM
I've had good success with Bike24 and Bike Inn (https://www.bikeinn.com/) in the past. The latter appears to carry both Fizik and Ritchey stuff. Ships from Spain IIRC.

ryker
05-05-2020, 02:10 PM
Not sure but Canada Post has stopped collecting signatures on delivery so maybe Bike24 has stopped shipping to Canada for this reason (their pkgs typically require a signature). It’s a bummer as I typically do a couple jobs a month using parts that customers order from Bike24.

slowpoke
05-05-2020, 02:19 PM
https://www.deutschepost.de/en/c/coronavirus.html#kanada

Canada:
Until further notice, parcel shipments to Canada (DHL Paket International) can no longer be accepted due to problems with transport, customs clearance and/or delivery.
Warenpost and Päckchen shipments can now be sent again. Letter mail items (i.e., documents sent as individual letter mail, kilo-rate mail, etc.) are also unaffected by this acceptance freeze.

USA:
At this time, transport capacities are substantially reduced with regard to the USA. As such, special measures are required to maintain the dispatch of letters and parcels.

- It is still possible to send letter mail items weighing up to 500 g and with a maximum thickness of 2 cm (documents) to the USA.
- Warenpost and Päckchen products are no longer available for shipment to the USA until further notice.
- For private customers: Since April 1, 2020, the only option available for sending parcels to the USA is via the Premium service.
- For business customers/contract customers: DHL Paket International items can still be sent until further notice. Please note that an international crisis surcharge of EUR 16 will be applied to each parcel. Effective Monday, May 11, 2020, we will change the international crisis surcharge for the USA to a weight-based surcharge of EUR 2.20 per kilogram (or part thereof). In particular for senders of light parcels weighing up to approximately 7 kg, this reduces the price for the destination USA, in some cases considerably.

Dave
05-05-2020, 03:11 PM
I had the same problem with an order from Germany to be shipped by DHL. The company returned my money after about a month of waiting. I wanted some zonda replacement spokes and a couple more 12 speed chains.

d_douglas
05-06-2020, 01:00 PM
Thanks folks. Yes, perhaps it is Canada Post that is refusing receipt of the packages - not that Bike24 isnt willing to ship here.

As for other online vendors, they seem to be doing the same thing, so perhaps it is a local issue.

Thanks for offers to ship to the US, but indeed the duties and shipping paid twice would make no sense.

echappist
05-06-2020, 01:19 PM
Thanks folks. Yes, perhaps it is Canada Post that is refusing receipt of the packages - not that Bike24 isnt willing to ship here.

As for other online vendors, they seem to be doing the same thing, so perhaps it is a local issue.

Thanks for offers to ship to the US, but indeed the duties and shipping paid twice would make no sense.

Btw, all4cycling carries both brands and can ship via UPS (who has its own jets for cargo shipment)

One other thing is that the postal DHL is not the same as the DHL we see in North America (the latter is more akin to FedEx and UPS). Best would be to call up the bike shops and ask if they could ship via non-national postal service (most speaks English)