PDA

View Full Version : eating and diet during coronavirus

vqdriver
05-04-2020, 07:14 PM
as the topic of eating habits came up in the weight loss thread, here's how things have evolved in our household over the last 7 weeks.

at first, we did buy a lot of meals. markets were chaos and if you could get in, choices were slim. add to that the insanity of new work and school arrangements and no one felt like cooking
then restaurants started to close down one by one (hopefully temporarily). so then we got sick of eating the same foods from the ones that stayed open.
then we got too cheap and impatient (but mostly cheap) to order delivery.
then we got too impatient/lazy to get takeout

somewhere along the way two things happened

more and more restaurants were closing and our choices diminished.
the hoarding stopped and it was easier to shop at the market

so, great.
market shopping became a thing again and is a welcome respite from the mundane. wife and i welcomed cooking as an "activity"

we began cooking the foods we had seen being prepared on youtube channels and hulu shows
then we got sick of doing all the dishes all the time so then our meals started getting much simpler
then we tried to get our kids to cook as a "fun" activity. [note: this has an opposite result in post meal cleanup. do not try.]
then i got too lazy to cook and/or clean

nowadays, i feed my family an apple and a slice of bread.
we may even toast the bread for mother's day because, well, it's a special occasion.

godfrey1112000
05-04-2020, 07:16 PM
Wine only

Vodka for the mules

mtechnica
05-04-2020, 07:24 PM
I’m not going to lie to you guys, my diet has gone to hell in a hand basket. Before all of this my weight was I’m on the downward trajectory but I’ve put on about 5lbs since February mostly from not riding as much, and drinking way more beer. As far as what specifically I’ve been eating; mostly vegan junk food - and fish. Oh and del taco of course. There have been times when I couldn’t bear to actually eat my freaking non-perishables I’ve stashed for the covid apocalypse, so I had to go grab something just to feel normal for a minute and not like I’m going to drunkenly cry into my sad, sad plato of white rice and black beans with nothing on it. I’m not proud of what I’ve done. I’ve also gone to plant power fast food too. I know. Shelter at home and all, I’m a bad, weak person. Now you know.

Jaybee
05-04-2020, 07:40 PM
I love cooking. We've been eating really well, and I've been experimenting a lot, eating less meat, and being creative with what's in the fridge/pantry. It's a tiny silver lining to this whole mess.

Oh, and definitely drinking more.

johnmdesigner
05-04-2020, 07:44 PM
I am working on quite the COVID food pregnancy myself as the Missus is a fantastic cook, the bar is fully stocked and our daily exercise consists of a walking game we call "crossing the street" to avoid the maskless sweaty runners (much easier now with the reduced traffic in NYC). That and brutal Korean aerobic exercises on Youtube.
We have had many wonderful meals but you have to work at it and keep things interesting.
We both love to go out to restaurants but we have been staying in and living in our own world. And it's been pretty nice.

AngryScientist
05-04-2020, 07:52 PM
as i mentioned in the other thread, i'm eating healthier than i ever have!

now that i'm not travelling or in my NYC office, no more boozy 3 hour lunches or happy hours, no more fast food stops on the road, no more bodega stops for candy at 2PM to fight boredom.

my wife is an awesome cook and we are expanding our palette here, i'm personally eating way less meat, processed food and candy.

we genuinely look forward to dinner as a family activity. my kids are taking an active role helping my wife prepare dinner. the kids are young, and i'm proud of them for trying new stuff, fish, vegetable dishes, different flavors, etc.

i do miss a ton of things, but this has been a small blessing for our family. we eat every single dinner together at the table as a family. snack much less, and look forward to interesting, healthy dinners. i'll never give up red meat entirely, but we all have a new found love for vegetables, peppers, beans, rice, kale, fish, etc.

i see it as a silver lining and i'm good with that. :)

dustyrider
05-04-2020, 07:54 PM
Absolutely nothing changed for me except the thick cut bacon I like went from $7.99 to $12.99 this week and I decided to pass on it. :eek:

rccardr
05-04-2020, 08:20 PM
I love cooking. We've been eating really well, and I've been experimenting a lot, eating less meat, and being creative with what's in the fridge/pantry. It's a tiny silver lining to this whole mess.

Oh, and definitely drinking more.

This. And That.
Lost 16 pounds since January 1 (although I got to lose 6 of them twice when we took a two week vacay in early Feb).
Everyone deals with this in their own way. Mine is to cook amazing meals to go with the wine in the cellar.

Blue Jays
05-04-2020, 08:42 PM
My overall diet has improved because meals at home are typically salad and main dish.
Dinners out tended to be a split appetizer, salads, main courses, and desserts.
Bicycle mileage is somewhat decreased, yet I am riding most days and eating fewer calories.

XXtwindad
05-04-2020, 09:17 PM
Interesting take here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/03/sports/athletes-eating-disorders.html

My eating habits haven't changed much. Cycling much more. Fitness level is higher than pre-COVID.

PSC
05-04-2020, 09:20 PM
My wife and I are opposite spectrums when it comes to food. I have been working out 3-4 hours a day, so I am always hungry. She sits on the couch and does computer stuff all day, not at all hungry. Fights ensue at dinner time when I want to eat and she could care less or decides that she'll make dinner and it will take an hour and a half, so we eat at 7:30. We have been eating healthier, with our eating out cut way down, we feel much better. As far as beer goes, I don't drink before 7pm, that way I keep consumption down.

Clean39T
05-04-2020, 09:30 PM

jimcav
05-04-2020, 10:03 PM
I basically jog trails and mtb, and the trails have been closed for about a month. Been trying to walk the neighborhood, but it isn't the same level of workout

I've not adjusted well to my kids (teenagers) being home all day in terms of food. We've also been trying to help local businesses by getting takeout.

Combo of stress eating, food always out or being prepared, and take-out--not a good recipe for me. Luckily trails are supposed to open this week so I can work it off again

d_douglas
05-04-2020, 10:30 PM
Yeah, a lot of my fitness came from commuting, so I am getting very little exercise. We got a COVID puppy about a month ago and he has gotten us out walking more, but he’s still a baby, so no epic walks as of yet. My wife and I are splitting off bedtime duties for kids so one of us stays with puppy, so while that sounds good, I cannot go out for a run at night because dog will whimper!!

As for food, I had become basically whole foods/vegan (doctors advice) and have fallen off the wagon because of being at home. I eat the odd bite of chicken if I’ve cooked it for others, but eat a bit too much sugar and bread as my wife decided to master sourdough bread making, unfortunately ;).

Warm bread toasted with peanut butter and banana and a great coffee is my favourite breakfast...

Mike V
05-04-2020, 11:30 PM
I've lost 28lbs and riding.

Every week day breakfast is oatmeal and coffee with fresh fruit, cup of yogurt , lunch is salad with chicken or turkey breast, dinner is large salad and fresh fruit for dessert. Nuts and fruits for snack anytime. Same thing daily. No alcohol

Weekends starting Saturday morning endin Sunday dinner. I eat whatever I want. Alcohol Friday and Saturday evenings. I have been trying to make mixed drinks like the swanky bars make.

I'm type 2 diabetic, high cholesterol and blood pressure and had a heart attack in 2017. My A1C is now under 6, cholesterol is normal but blood pressure is still a little high but controlled. From 12 pills down to 2 not counting the aspirin I have to take because my stent.

I didn't want to fight the virus with pre existing conditions. I love my wife and two boys too much not to at least try.

Clovid 19 has been good for me. Sad it took a pandemic to make me make changes. My work had made is difficult in the past. It won't in the future.

Jaybee
05-05-2020, 12:08 AM

Every week day breakfast is oatmeal and coffee with fresh fruit, cup of yogurt , lunch is salad with chicken or turkey breast, dinner is large salad and fresh fruit for dessert. Nuts and fruits for snack anytime. Same thing daily. No alcohol

Weekends starting Saturday morning endin Sunday dinner. I eat whatever I want. Alcohol Friday and Saturday evenings. I have been trying to make mixed drinks like the swanky bars make.

I'm type 2 diabetic, high cholesterol and blood pressure and had a heart attack in 2017. My A1C is now under 6, cholesterol is normal but blood pressure is still a little high but controlled. From 12 pills down to 2 not counting the aspirin I have to take because my stent.

I didn't want to fight the virus with pre existing conditions. I love my wife and two boys too much not to at least try.

Clovid 19 has been good for me. Sad it took a pandemic to make me make changes. My work had made is difficult in the past. It won't in the future.

I don't know you but I'm proud of you. Great job.

Clean39T
05-05-2020, 12:32 AM
I don't know you but I'm proud of you. Great job.

+1 - from across the multiverse......we tip our helmets...

tuscanyswe
05-05-2020, 02:00 AM

Thats great! strong work :banana:

picstloup
05-05-2020, 03:07 AM

inspiration...
you make it sound so simple, easy...
in the end, healthy choices,...
more power to you...

marciero
05-05-2020, 05:12 AM
I had made adjustments to to eliminate refined sugar and processed food, including wheat/flour, and was 95% organic, vegan pre-pandemic. Plus, we mostly prepared our own food which we get from a small local foods market. So pandemic did not change those things. One thing the pandemic has done is underline how sacred food is-the procuring, preparing, and eating. There was now a ritual-we had to think about what we needed, call it in (now an online form). Schedule a pickup, wait for a call back, talk to a human on the phone-someone who actually assembled all of our food items together for us. This is a small place and we know these people by name now. How wonderful and how grateful we are that these people do this for us! Go to the store, call again on the phone. Get our groceries. Finally, prepare and eat. Throughout history eating has been a sacred ritual-nourishing the body and spirit, etc. Tons of references in literature, religion, etc.

OtayBW
05-05-2020, 07:38 AM
I said when the run on grocery stores occured a few weeks ago, that the good news AND the bad news is that I had a lot of pasta stockpiled in the house. :eek:
That said, I've actually been eating more intentionally and appreciating food more since all of this began...

oldpotatoe
05-05-2020, 08:09 AM
I basically jog trails and mtb, and the trails have been closed for about a month. Been trying to walk the neighborhood, but it isn't the same level of workout

I've not adjusted well to my kids (teenagers) being home all day in terms of food. We've also been trying to help local businesses by getting takeout.

Combo of stress eating, food always out or being prepared, and take-out--not a good recipe for me. Luckily trails are supposed to open this week so I can work it off again

Wife great cook..but issue for me is making something or eating last night's really good leftovers at about 3pm..then really too full to eat dinner.

Walking, NOT riding(don't want to end up in ER...) and also doing the "let's dance across the street because the unmasked group coming toward us is too damn selfish to move"...dance.

NO takeout, not comfy with that if the preparer "might" be infected...

I've been in 2 business' in the last 2 months..one great(Vecchio's-YO!) and one not with 5-6 people wandering around as if nothing was going on...

BUT, pretty easy to either order what we need(yo-amazon)_or have youngest son do the leg work for us.

SoCalSteve
05-05-2020, 08:10 AM
Don't drink. And tonight we had our first meal that wasn't home cooked in the past two months! We've been shopping at a local foodie joint for fresh produce and foodie essentials (italian grana, fresh noods, local eggs, scratch-made chicky-soup) - and they decided to open up a limited number of slots for a "family dinner" - peruvian roasted chicken and potatoes (the rotisserie chickens drip onto the smashed taters..it is heaven).. In general though, just eating a lot of beans, roasted veggies, frozen veggies, rice, etc. Probbly 95% vegan and the occasional meal with some cheese included, or an organic protein once a week. While I'm staying consistent with my indoor training, my overall activity level is really low. We're 100% shelter-in-place unless doing something essential - plus the one outdoor ride a week that I'm determined to take for sanity sake. I'm sure I would be down another 5-10 if I was getting in normal walks, sleeping better (less stress and TV), and longer outdoor rides. Overall, I'm pretty happy with my health though and can't complain.

Why aren’t you riding outdoors more often? I’m out 4-5 times a week. Roads are empty, air is clean...why not?

AngryScientist
05-05-2020, 08:17 AM
by the way,

has anyone noticed that it's both Taco Tuesday and Cinco de Mayo!!

Hope everyone is getting their taco game on tonight!

PaMtbRider
05-05-2020, 08:18 AM
I have little self control and discipline when it comes to snacks and sweets. At work I pack my lunch and can limit the amount of processed garbage I eat. I pack my lunch box and when my sweets are gone they're gone. Sitting at home it is way to easy to get off the recliner and grab a cookie or 3. I am riding a lot so not gaining weight but not getting the balanced nutrition like I should.

XXtwindad
05-05-2020, 09:17 AM

Such a great post on so many levels. First off, kudos on your progress. And, equally as important, congrats on recognizing the best antidote to the virus: fitness and common sense. You can hermetically seal yourself off in a monastery all you want. But COVID is here. The best way to fight it is to get your immune system working optimally.

XXtwindad
05-05-2020, 09:23 AM
Why aren’t you riding outdoors more often? I’m out 4-5 times a week. Roads are empty, air is clean...why not?

I totally concur. Not only does all the research suggest that the risk of transmission outdoors is minimal, but the roads are blissfully car free.

Furthermore, if there is a "bike revolution" in the offing, it will be because a majority of cyclists decided the era of automobile hegemony is over.

merlinmurph
05-05-2020, 12:53 PM
First, congrats to Mike V. Love to hear stories like this.

I was wondering if I was the only guy who lost weight in the last few months. Normally, it takes awhile to drop the 5-10 lbs I put on over the winter. No problem this spring, I was under 160 a month ago without even trying. I think it's because we don't eat out, i.e. badly. We like to cook and have been spending a lot of time in the kitchen making soups, dinners, granola, etc. We normally go out to eat two times a week which is the only time I drink (beer) and I eat more crap when we go out, so I'm guessing we're just eating better by staying home.

We've only done take-out a few times. I just don't trust the food, yet.

Good luck to everybody.

Clean39T
05-05-2020, 01:11 PM
I totally concur. Not only does all the research suggest that the risk of transmission outdoors is minimal, but the roads are blissfully car free.

Simply an artifact of my living situation (in a small apartment that is difficult to get in/out of without potential exposure), my work (busier than ever), the weather (April in Portland....but it'll be 85-deg Saturday :eek:), and a partner that has very high anxiety around all of this bordering on OCD-like symptoms (coming and going from our place is a complicated ritual of stripping, sanitizing, etc., and keeping things that go outside in a small quarantine area) and is immuno-compromised to an extent. It is what it is. I'm healthy and happy. And others have a lot more to contend with. Things will turn and I'll roll with it as I'm able. Hopefully we'll find a new home soon so I can come and go from a garage with much less hassle and potential exposure.

SoCalSteve
05-05-2020, 08:49 PM
Simply an artifact of my living situation (in a small apartment that is difficult to get in/out of without potential exposure), my work (busier than ever), the weather (April in Portland....but it'll be 85-deg Saturday :eek:), and a partner that has very high anxiety around all of this bordering on OCD-like symptoms (coming and going from our place is a complicated ritual of stripping, sanitizing, etc., and keeping things that go outside in a small quarantine area) and is immuno-compromised to an extent. It is what it is. I'm healthy and happy. And others have a lot more to contend with. Things will turn and I'll roll with it as I'm able. Hopefully we'll find a new home soon so I can come and go from a garage with much less hassle and potential exposure.

Sounds like my life/wife. But she knows that if I don’t go out I’ll go bonkers, so she puts up with it.

Mike V
05-05-2020, 10:43 PM
Thanks you for the kind words.

Next month I'm going to cut out Sunday's free for all food but keep the Alcohol:banana:

Now to work on my core!

Dunk
05-06-2020, 12:00 AM
Inspired to get going on some weight loss. Thanks for the post.