PDA

View Full Version : What stem would you put on this bike?

RWL2222
05-04-2020, 02:29 PM
I need recommendations please...

I am in the gradual (and lowest cost, for now) mode of updating my frame to modern components, after a long time off the bike. Thinking about updating the stem as I experiment with very small changes in riding position.

I got a ton of suggestions under a separate thread for updating the drive train, and one suggestion pointed out that I should put a Nitto quill on this. I don't know all of the changes that the components have gone through to know what to look for, and to make sure that it will fit the existing handlebars. The bars are indeed big, but there were spec'ed for me by a fitter a long time ago. I am 5'10 200lbs FWIW.

What should I spec out (once I finally get the green light to buy in the Classified forum)?

fmradio516
05-04-2020, 02:33 PM
An old Salsa quill ftw!

R3awak3n
05-04-2020, 02:35 PM
imo the best looking quill stem is a ibis TI stem. Hard to find and expensive. The salsa stems are also awesome, also hard to find an becoming expensive. There is always sim works and nitto.

jchasse
05-04-2020, 02:37 PM
Pretty sure FlashUNC would recommend a Thomson. :)

FlashUNC
05-04-2020, 02:39 PM
Pretty sure FlashUNC would recommend a Thomson. :)

No, I want the guy to live. Also he said inexpensive.

Honestly the Nittos are probably the best bang for your buck on those, and if the bars are fine -- no corrosion and whatnot -- no reason you can't just swap the stem and call it a day.

rwsaunders
05-04-2020, 02:42 PM
Silver and one that fits you, along with bars that fit you...they originally came with Cinelli bars and a stem.

https://archive.org/details/LemondBicycles1997Catalog/page/n3/mode/2up

https://archive.org/details/LemondBicycles1997Catalog/page/n9/mode/2up

AngryScientist
05-04-2020, 02:43 PM
i went with salsa. i like it.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UJwFRoCqR10/XopTyrZxL4I/AAAAAAAADnM/Mg1SpNtc5K4WwlAdTxWNOVlp6pWaAe1cACLcBGAsYHQ/s1200/IMG_5259.jpg

OtayBW
05-04-2020, 02:51 PM
I'll second the Nitto quill, and if I'm judging correctly based on what seems to be a fairly substantial amount of rise and the height of the stem, you can go with the Nitto Technomic if you need more rise.

ahsere
05-04-2020, 02:53 PM
Nitto UI-2 are great, not super cheap but not expensive either, and the few times I've seen them in the flesh they really look awesome.

m_sasso
05-04-2020, 02:57 PM
17 degree unpolished Titanium Ibis will match the gray Ultegra and silver paint

RWL2222
05-04-2020, 02:58 PM
I kinda regret having sold the original setup now. I would like to stay consistent with the original look of the bike--silver--but are there any new functional considerations in a stem? I would like to keep the ability to change out the stem without taking off the brifters, etc.

one60
05-04-2020, 03:02 PM
https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/cinelli-pinocchio-stem-silverhttps://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/cinelli-pinocchio-stem-silver

these vintage chrome stems can be found in great condition from a number of the usual spots

David in Maine
05-04-2020, 04:41 PM
I would like to keep the ability to change out the stem without taking off the brifters, etc.

This could be an option. Nitto Technomic, Salsa, Cinelli all require bars to be unwrapped and brifters removed. It does need a modern 31.8 handlebar.

https://velo-orange.com/collections/stems/products/quill-stem-with-removable-faceplate-31-8mm

David

FlashUNC
05-04-2020, 04:44 PM
I kinda regret having sold the original setup now. I would like to stay consistent with the original look of the bike--silver--but are there any new functional considerations in a stem? I would like to keep the ability to change out the stem without taking off the brifters, etc.

26.0 or 25.4 (not sure your bar diameter) quill stems with a removable faceplate are pretty rare. You're probably stuck with removing the levers for whatever stem you switch to.

choke
05-04-2020, 04:59 PM
+whatever to a Nitto. They are hard to beat.

It does need a modern 31.8 handlebar.

I'll bite....why?

David in Maine
05-04-2020, 05:03 PM
+whatever to a Nitto. They are hard to beat.

I'll bite....why?

Sorry unclear. I meant the Velo orange stem is meant for a 31.8 handlebar. OP could use his current handlebar with a shim.

David

choke
05-04-2020, 05:08 PM
Sorry unclear. I meant the Velo orange stem is meant for a 31.8 handlebar. OP could use his current handlebar with a shim.

DavidGotcha.

tv_vt
05-04-2020, 05:25 PM
Well, I'd just keep the one you have on there if it puts the bars where you want them. Not many quill stems with removable faceplates out there. Assuming that you're good with a 26.0 handlebar, just save on the stem for now.

If you want a 31.6 handlebar (a lot more fit options in that size), then that changes things. Finding a quill stem for that size bar is tough. I've resorted to buying a custom stem from Ti Cycles Fabrication in Portland or from Winter Cycles. You might want to see what they have in ti and steel just to get a sense of what's available and prices.

oliver1850
05-04-2020, 06:03 PM
I would use an ITM Eclypse despite having to remove one shifter to install it. Same vintage as the bike and matches the handlebar. Most are -17 so will lower your handlebar. I have a harder to find 90 degree one on a frame that's really too small for me.

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=5EB88469-2028-464B-8389-189EB172A186&Enum=102&AbsPos=6

Ken Robb
05-04-2020, 06:17 PM
I think you have to ride it as is to see what size stem you need to get your position correct. Then you can choose a new one to get then aesthetics you prefer. I agree with the idea of using a Nitto as they are all so pretty and well made and suit the look of your bike.

vqdriver
05-04-2020, 07:33 PM
threaded steerers and quill stems are a fork in the road. you need to decide if you want to continue down this path or veer off towards modern componentry. era-correct gear is nice but very limiting when you're shopping in the real world. by simply deciding to go with a quill to threadless adapter opens up the entire world of modern cockpits.

if i had to do this again, i'd pick my ideal handlebar and go the route that gets me the bars i want.

ultraman6970
05-04-2020, 08:32 PM
JUst to start O would not put the one in the picture, I would have to be drunk and actually have one in my bin of parts. So pretty much the answer is NO i would not put that thing ever.

3T quill or a cinelli 1A or something like that.

RWL2222
05-04-2020, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the comments!

Yes, I never loved the look of that stem. But that was not the point—I wasn’t then too concerned about keeping together the overall vibe of the bike.

Thing is, not having been on a modern bike—with a modern cockpit—I don’t know what I might be missing. In any case, the key thing for me is to put some miles behind me, avoid injury, and fiddle with small changes to fit the sweet spot. Until I really know what I want (hmmm...a second, modern bike maybe), I need to try to keep it simple.

I will get something for a stem that doesn’t clash with the vintage of the bike, but the look is going to change anyway to get a 32 or 34 cog in the back, which will require a long cage RD. I like the ITM stem idea—cheap, same period and consistent with the bars. I need to read up on 31.6 bars and what that implies about a stem the will fit the bike. I am ok with the handlebars I have, but again, I don’t know what I am missing.

So, what makes up the modern cockpit, aside from the electronics?

mhespenheide
05-04-2020, 09:49 PM
Keep the Profile stem for now, while you're getting back into riding. Use its adjustability (raising or lowering the quill) to get comfortable first. Then as you work on core strength and flexibility, you can choose to lower the stem if you want to.

The height that you end up with will determine something about the stem you pick. If you need something relatively tall and want to stick with the handlebars that you have, the classic-looking recommendation is a Nitto Technomic. If you end up going lower, there's a ton of choices, but not many will have the removable faceplate.

If you do want to change to modern 31.8mm (bar clamp diameter) handlebars, it's important to know about the Nitto UI-12, which is one of the only choices available for quill stems -- in addition to the previously-mentioned version from Velo-Orange.

mhespenheide
05-04-2020, 09:50 PM
So, what makes up the modern cockpit, aside from the electronics?

The biggest change is in the shape of the handlebars themselves. The tops are generally short and flat, and the drop don't go down as far.

ColonelJLloyd
05-04-2020, 10:02 PM
threaded steerers and quill stems are a fork in the road. you need to decide if you want to continue down this path or veer off towards modern componentry. era-correct gear is nice but very limiting when you're shopping in the real world. by simply deciding to go with a quill to threadless adapter opens up the entire world of modern cockpits.

if i had to do this again, i'd pick my ideal handlebar and go the route that gets me the bars i want.

Echoing this, and since you said you haven't yet dialed in your setup, l'd go with a threadless adapter for now. This will allow you to easily swap stems of different reach and angle, which is necessary if you start trying other bars.

I'm using a threadless adapter on a bike (necessitated by a whole other issue) because there is not a handlebar available with a 25.4mm clamp area that is wide enough for my liking and has a bend/shape I like.

This also solves another issue I've had with most of my bikes with threaded steerers; too much flex in the stem/bars when riding out of the saddle. The increased stiffness from the adapter plus threadless stem and larger diameter of the bar is a welcome benefit.

thirdgenbird
05-04-2020, 10:06 PM
Has anyone tried this adapter?
https://www.amazon.com/innicycle-Conversion-Headset-quill-Threadless/dp/B07KFYZPD2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top

It certainly looks cleaner than the quill type.

RWL2222
05-04-2020, 11:10 PM
Hmm...any comment on this?

“So why are threadless systems popular? They are promoted by big bike manufacturers to lower production cost. Only one size fork need be made for each frame and it does not need the additional steps of cutting a keyway and threading. Then the fork steerer is cut to size by the customer or bike shop. This results in a huge cost saving for a big bike manufacturer.”

jtbadge
05-04-2020, 11:11 PM
Threadless forks/stems are great, threadless adapters are hacky.

Find yourself a nice quill. If you post an ad in the classifieds, someone may even have one in the bin they would give you on the cheap.

tylercheung
05-04-2020, 11:54 PM
My favorite combo for retro set up (i.e. 1 inch steerer tubes) is:

Nitto Pearl (now NP or NP-2?) - the most elegant and closest to classic italian/cinelli appearance. shiniest. Of note - the Pearl is measured by the distance from the center of the bar to the steering column, NOT the length of the stem so to figure out the true length of the stem, it's something like x/cosine(72 degrees) or something like that. i.e. a 90 mm pearl is like 10 mm in real life, etc, 10 mm is like 11.5 mm, etc.

Now, the Pearl only comes in 25.2 or 26 mm clamp size, so you'd have to get the Nitto M106 or the Soma Highway One bar in 26 mm. The M106 I've gotten from Alex's Cycles in Japan, just takes a couple of weeks and shipping is expensive. The Highway One is similar shape and made in Taiwan, and available via US distributors.

So, in short - Nitto Pearl, solve something like stated lentgh/ cosine 72, to arrive at actual stem length, paired with Nitto M106 or Soma Highway One.

*NOTE: if you need a taller stem - I forget how tall the Pearl is, gottta measure, but the taller version is the Nitto Technomic or Technomic deluxe. The length of that stem is true to length, as opposed to the Pearl...

Note: you would also need a shop w/ a stem lever tool OR use the "coin trick" to mount said bars onto the Pearl...

That is the fancy, aesthetically pleasing way.

As above, the simpler way is: Threadless stem adapter.

tylercheung
05-05-2020, 12:00 AM
Hmm...any comment on this?

“So why are threadless systems popular? They are promoted by big bike manufacturers to lower production cost. Only one size fork need be made for each frame and it does not need the additional steps of cutting a keyway and threading. Then the fork steerer is cut to size by the customer or bike shop. This results in a huge cost saving for a big bike manufacturer.”

I do not know first hand - but I have heard that threadless stems/1 1/8" threadless steerers are consider "less flexy" than the old quills. But I am not a power riders so I can't say first hand.

boywonder
05-05-2020, 12:08 AM
ITM quill

m_sasso
05-05-2020, 03:42 AM
Has anyone tried this adapter?
https://www.amazon.com/innicycle-Conversion-Headset-quill-Threadless/dp/B07KFYZPD2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top

It certainly looks cleaner than the quill type.

The designer and owner of the company making that hedset/adaptor spends a lot of time over on BikeFourms in the classics and vintage area. I don't own one, however, respected people on that forum using them seem to be very happy with their performance and appearance.

My favorite combo for retro set up (i.e. 1 inch steerer tubes) is:

Cut

Now, the Pearl only comes in 25.2 or 26 mm clamp size, so you'd have to get the Nitto M106 or the Soma Highway One bar in 26 mm. The M106 I've gotten from Alex's Cycles in Japan, just takes a couple of weeks and shipping is expensive. The Highway One is similar shape and made in Taiwan, and available via US distributors.

Cut

It is no wonder why new/returning riders quit riding altogether with equipment confusion and frustration. And yes, I understand you are trying to provide recommendations, however your advice is very misleading.

Why are you writing "so you'd have to get" and use 2 specific bars the Nitto M106 or Soma Highway one bars?

First off, the Nitto Pearl is available in two size 25.4 and 26.0 mm, no, Nitto does not make or sell a 25.2 mm size bar clamp stem.

Second no need to go to Alex's Cycles in Japan, plenty of US retailers, Retrogression Cycles, Ben's Cycle ..... and a host of other online shops on eBay sell the Nitto M106.

Third, Ben's, Retrogression, Rene Herse, Revendalle ...etc also all carry a number of additional 26.0mm bars, such as the Nitto M151: https://www.retro-gression.com/products/nitto-m151f-handlebar

Please, there is an entire world of new and used 25.4 or 26.0mm bars that can be used with the Nitto Pearl!

kiwisimon
05-05-2020, 05:54 AM
keep that one while you gradually get your fitness back*. Once the pandemic settles down pay for a fitting that includes a 6 month adjustment and then start looking. Color wise the original scheme seems pretty good. Do you have really wide shoulders and long arms?

*if you can't wait: get a cheap adjustable stem in the right clamp diameter and play around with it. I'd go back to the original fit unless it was really off.

RWL2222
05-05-2020, 06:08 AM
No I don’t have especially wide shoulders or long arms.
I was thinking about getting an cheap adjustable stem like this, but it’s great also to get recommendations on what to go with long term.

This is a great article I found with some stem evolution history and the rise of Cane Creek: https://cyclingtips.com/2017/08/origins-how-the-aheadset-threadless-headset-changed-bikes-forever/

R3awak3n
05-05-2020, 06:08 AM
The designer and owner of the company making that hedset/adaptor spends a lot of time over on BikeFourms in the classics and vintage area. I don't own one, however, respected people on that forum using them seem to be very happy with their performance and appearance.

It is no wonder why new/returning riders quit riding altogether with equipment confusion and frustration. And yes, I understand you are trying to provide recommendations, however your advice is very misleading.

Why are you writing "so you'd have to get" and use 2 specific bars the Nitto M106 or Soma Highway one bars?

First off, the Nitto Pearl is available in two size 25.4 and 26.0 mm, no, Nitto does not make or sell a 25.2 mm size bar clamp stem.

Second no need to go to Alex's Cycles in Japan, plenty of US retailers, Retrogression Cycles, Ben's Cycle ..... and a host of other online shops on eBay sell the Nitto M106.

Third, Ben's, Retrogression, Rene Herse, Revendalle ...etc also all carry a number of additional 26.0mm bars, such as the Nitto M151: https://www.retro-gression.com/products/nitto-m151f-handlebar

Please, there is an entire world of new and used 25.4 or 26.0mm bars that can be used with the Nitto Pearl!

you need to get of your high horse my guy. Can't you just share your opinion without some snarky comeback at someone elses post?